Everfree Border Station [Open]

Lunther

Bronze finishes munching on the delicious muffin provided by Amity and looks up to ponder. "Is that so? You know, I hadn't thought about it before but I could use a pet, someone to keep me company around here when no one drops by... Maybe something with good night vision that could help me with night patrols?" He thought it over for a moment and then raised his fore legs slightly in a shrug. "Couldn't hurt at the very least, and getting a chance to see the Wonderbolts is always a treat. However, I'm always glad to hear any other news you have from elsewhere AA. Anything going on in Cloudsdale or other places?"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunder just sat there. He watched them talk as he ate the muffin and the rest of his hay. He wondered if he should leave to leave the two ponies alone. It felt awkward to be in his situation. He began listening more when he heard Bronze mention Cloudsdale. He looked up at Amity and waited for him to speak.

"Nothing I can think of, sorry. Cloudsdale is usually pretty quiet... well, not literally. Cloudsdale can be really loud from what I hear. Pegasi throw some wild parties." He gave the two a cheery grin and finished off his own baked snack. "So, Dunder right? Surely you didn't come to my esteemed colleague's little shack in the middle of nowhere to rest. You've gotta be on your way somewhere, am I right? Why don't you tell me a little bit about your travels. It sure must be nice to fly and avoid Diamond Dogs and the like. Maybe I could even make an article out of your story."

A quill, ink bottle, and rolled up bit of parchment all float out of his left saddlebag and land nearby, in case he needed to take notes.

He chuckles lightly and leans forward to finish off the hay in front of him. Chewing contentedly as his friend's attention turned to the other Stallion at the table. He decided to think over things a while. The pet idea was one that intrigued him, but what would he get? He would need to consider this carefully.

Dunder sat back in his chair. He had never had been told to tell anypony his story. He looked at the ceiling for a short while, lost in thought. He looked down back at Amity. "Well, my name is Dunder Blust. I was given this name to be unique, to stand out so no pony could be like me. I am not an interesting pony, I don't have an adventurous or dangerous lifestyle. I doubt any pony would want to be like me. All I can do well is cook and fight, and cooking isn't a very fruitful career option, and ponies get shaken to the core just at the mention of battle. I feel as though Equestria doesn't need ponies like me. As if I am at the bottom of the barrel in terms of social acceptance. I've been trying to join the Royal Guards, excelling at rapier fencing and hoof-to-hoof. I know I have passed the tests to become a Royal Guard, I am sure of it. It is just that my coat is not a shade of white or grey that keeps me from joining their ranks. I've given up on that, for the most part, and instead have gone on to a less....tied down option. Evil ponies still exist, and why? Because other ponies who have the power to stop them standby with their 'standards' and 'rules' for dealing with ponies and do nothing. I realized this, traveling through Everfree forest that the blade is the best judge for who is right and for who is wrong. If a pony wants to defend their ideals, they should learn first to defend them self. Because the true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him. And fighting is just a chore, if done justly." Dunder said. He looked down at the table and was silent. He closed his eyes.

Amity nodded the whole time, paying close attention and writing down a few notes as Dunder told his story. "Fascinating. If you don't mind my asking, and I don't want to sound rude or anything but... did they ever offer to bleach your fur? Or maybe change the color with magic? I'm pretty sure that's possible. I don't know any spells like that, but I'm not a barber." He paused, finishing taking his notes before smiling. "But I think standing up for your ideals is very important. I'm not much for fighting unless it's absolutely necessary, but at least you're good at something, right? I'm just a half-bit writer!" He gave a friendly laugh at his bit of self-depreciating humor, looking over at Bronze with a grin.

"Ponies appreciate being told in writing about information. About the world going on around them. As I am guessing you do. However, running a pony through with a rapier is a different story." Dunder said. He looked at Amity, "I was never told to turn my coat another color, they aren't as bold to do so. I may not be one, but I deserve respect, as any other pony. I wouldn't do it. My brown coat makes me Dunder Blust."

"I wonder if that really is the reason... I live in Canterlot, and I've seen royal guards with coats of other colors than white. I don't mean to say they rejected you because you're not guard material! No, that's not it! I just was making an observation, and uh... sorry." Amity winced a little bit at his potential insult, bowing his head. It really had been unintentional.

"Do nor apologize.. I'm not offended. You can say what you want. You look to be genuinely sorry. If I were you, I would not be afraid of me. I don't hurt unjustified." Dunder said calmly. He knew he didn't want Amity to worry, "I've seen Royal guards with only grey-scale colors." Dunder said.

Bronze had been paying half attention this entire time between his thiughts of potential pets and looks over at the other two. "Perhaps I'm mistaken but isn't it just the 'personal guard' of the Royal Guards who have to conform to those standards for the, aesthetic, of things like offical visits?" He asked, before snorting softly. "In any case, I am sure there's good work to be found as a cook or baker. The Cakes are a good example, maybe you could find some sort of dish you're really good at making and use that?"

Dunder looked at Bronze, "Royal Guards guard Celestia and Luna, for right now. They are supposed to be good fighters. You know, since they're the members of the elite military? They don't carry weapons uaually because ponies don't like the sight of weapons." Dunder explained. "And I'm a chef, not a baker. I took culinary classes but our teacher tought very lightly how to bake. I can make basic bread, but I can't bake a cake without arecipe and proper ingredients."

"Maybe because most weapons are made to kill, and why would anypony want to kill another pony? Fighting might happen, but taking a life is something nopony wants to do. It's better to talk things out and settle our differences with understanding and compromise. Friendship and harmony."

He shrugged and looked around for a glass of water or something else to drink.

"Double A has the right of it. Nopony has fought in anything remotely close to that since before the founding of Equestria. Disputes and disagreements, sure, but there hasn't been any huge conflict. Why would we want to be reminded of such things when we have other things we can focus on instead?" He looks over at Amity and notices him looking for something to drink. "Cupboard to the left of the sink has the glasses."

Dunder leaned forward, putting his hooves on the table, "You don't understand." He licked his chops, "I hate harming other ponies. Taking something that was meant to be beautiful and throwing it away so quickly after so much has been put into it....makes me sick. I don't want to hate, I wish only for the good of ponies. Knowing that I could make another pony smile makes me feel good inside, nothing else gives a better feeling. But I train my hoof to the rapier knowing that if evil walks by, it better watch its back. Standing by while evil exists is the worst decision to make, so I've decided to prepare."

Amity busied himself with finding the glasses next to the sink in the cupboard, and then filling his glass. Rather than speak, he took a long, slow drink to wet his throat and the inside of his mouth, swishing it around and feeling better after the long walk he'd taken to get to the Station. Turning around, he waved a hoof half-heartedly at the cupboard. "Anypony else want a drink?"

Bronze looks over at Amity. "Now that I think about it, I'm parched. I'll take one." He responds to Amity before leaning towards the table a bit. "I agree that standing by while something bad happens is a poor decision, but what evil are you expecting exactly? Discord was vanquished, Nightmare Moon has become Princess Luna again, I won't be naive and say nothing else could happen but I'll be darned if I can think of any huge threats."

"No drink, thank you Mr. Amity." Dunder said. "And I will be ready for when the evil arises. Maybe I'll save you. Until then, general peace stays and I will keep my head low as well." Dunder said to Bronze.

"I think that's something we can all hope for. We had a long period of peace and harmony, and then Nightmare Moon and Discord all come back within a relatively short period. It's kind of frightening to think more might arise. Still, knowing we have brave ponies like Twilight Sparkle and her friends, and you Dunder, makes it easier for me to keep on living like I have."

Amity filled the glass, holding it carefully in his mouth with his head turned at an angle, before carrying it over and setting it down in front of Bronze.

Winter Bolt had been travelling from Cloudsdale westward to the Everfree Forest for what seemed like forever when he caught a glance of a large, stallion sized rock and a cozy looking home between the Everfree Forest and the Great Nimbusgait Lakes. There were no ponies in front of the shack, but he decided to take a closer look anyways, feeling exhausted from his long flight. Once he had landed, he saw lights in the windows of the wooden structure and heard happy laughing and voices coming from inside. He decided to take a chance and knocked on the door, hoping for a warm welcome and praying for warmer food; he had a long trip ahead of him.

Bronze glances over at the door. "It's unlocked, come on in." He says towards the entrance of his shack, before looking back over at Dunder and Amity. "I see your point, perhaps I'm being overly optimistic in hoping the worst is behind us. Of course on the plus side, those two events were resolved rather quickly. Lets hope any future, problems, are as well."

Winter slowly peaked his head in, not knowing what to expect of the ponies he had heard inside. His vision was greeted by a hulking pegasus, a smaller brown pegasus, and a light blue journalist unicorn. He slowly walked up besides them and plopped down next to them, eager to hear what they were discussing. "So guys, what are you all doing out here in a place like this? Is there anything I can help with?" He looked around eagerly. "OH, my name is Winter Bolt, by the way. Nice to meet you all!"

"Hey Winter, nice to meet you too. My name is Amity," He paused and waved a hoof over towards Dunder. "That guy there is Dunder, and the scary looking pegasi over here is Bronze Breeze. This is his station. You look kind of tired... need a drink? I might be able to spare a little bit of the feed I brought Bronze..." He quickly looked over to his friend, flashing him a broad smile before continuing. "I have enough bits to go around to share... and I can always just grab some supplies when I go back through Ponyville and bring them back here."

Dunder scoffed, "Bronze isn't too scary." He said and started to laugh a little bit. "And I pay for my own food, Don't you worry, Amity." Dunder said before finishing the last of his hay. He moved onto eating the muffin again.