questions about making my first character

BethSycamore

I did a bit of reading,and I want to have my first character be a hippogriff. But I do have questions come to mind.

1. Are hippogriffs vegetarians,omnivores,or carnivores?

2.. Could young hippogriffs go to both flying camp and school?

3. Would Cloudsdale and Ponyville be a good place to start at?

4. May my character interact with characters from the show?

5. Is it ok for my character be the filly sister of another hippogriff character on this site?

6. Do hippogriffs have manes?

I think omnivores, not sure though.

I don't see why not.

No, only beacuse, in my opinion, they are WAAAAAAAY overplayed.

If you were to RP with the person that plays them. I think the rule is they can't have PRIOR relations with cast.

5. Is it ok for my character be the filly sister of another hippogriff character on this site?

You must okay it with the person who you will be the sister of. We have families with 4-5 different users.

None of this is verified, you'd have to get it from a mod, but this is what I generally remember from flipping though the forums.

Lets take a crack at this.

1. They are portrayed as omnivores in D&D and some zoo based games, but this is probably for ease of upkeep for players. In most other works they are carnivores, such as Warcraft, Harry Potter (although I wouldn't use that as evidence, really >.<), Everquest, Warhammer, ancient Persian poetry, and possibly most importantly, Greek mythology. Stories from medieval times often show them to be carnivores as well. The common consensus of the mythical world is that they are carnivores, currently. Based solely on them having the head of a griffon, which is a carnivore, I would think they are carnivores as well. However, it is debatable that the head is based off of a birds, which may be an herbivore, omnivore, or carnivore.

TL;DR completely up to the mods here, but I would lean towards carnivore based off of the Greek mythology :D

2-5. What Cobalt said, and I would be interested in being your griffon sissy :D

6. Following mythology, no. Using the fact that they have the fronts of griffons, also a no. Based off of how cool it would look to have a mane... a matter of opinion, but not a strong enough reason for it. So most likely not. However, they can have some cool feather plumage like Gilda :)

I wasn't sure what hippogriffs or griffins would eat in Equestria. I know that eagles and lions are considered to be carnivores,but horses and ponies are herbivores. It was confusing to see Gilda Griffin eat an apple in an episode of MLP:FiM,even though griffins are considered to be meat eaters.

I had wanted to have my hippogriff filly character attend both a flying camp,and a pony school of learning for foals. Like what Rainbow Dash,Fluttershy,and the Cutie Mark Crusaders did in the series. Are there other places other than Ponyville and Cloudsdale,that have such places of learning and flying?

Well, I've put together a non-canon one for Canterlot that is for all the ponies who don't go to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, 'Miss Teak's Academy for Gentle-ponies', across between a British public boarding school from the early 20th century and a Japanese High school in feel.

Despite the name it takes non-pony students, and is both co-ed and has a mix of boarders and day students, so a character could be Canterlot based, or come from anywhere in Equestria. I created it as a primary RP setting for Clawee, my griffon character. Her brother is at Flight Camp in Cloudsdale.

I did a bit of reading,and I want to have my first character be a hippogriff. But I do have questions come to mind.

I assume all of your questions relate to board canon and not actual mythology.

Just like Gilda the Griffon, they are omnivores.

Sure, why not? Hippogriff society probably has schools just like the ponylands do.

Not for a Hippogriff. I mean, there isn't a big reason why you can't, but Griffons/Hippogriffs are rare (as mentioned in Griffon the Brush-Off) for a reason. They just don't mix well with ponies, maybe because they, y'know, are meat eaters.

Sure! As mentioned above, you can't have any prior relationships with Cast characters, but if you run into them in an RP, go right ahead.

I don't see why not, but

You must okay it with the person who you will be the sister of.

Here's a picture of a Hippogriff that I pulled from Google:

hippogriff.jpg

Well, I've put together a non-canon one for Canterlot that is for all the ponies who don't go to Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, 'Miss Teak's Academy for Gentle-ponies', across between a British public boarding school from the early 20th century and a Japanese High school in feel.

Despite the name it takes non-pony students, and is both co-ed and has a mix of boarders and day students, so a character could be Canterlot based, or come from anywhere in Equestria. I created it as a primary RP setting for Clawee, my griffon character. Her brother is at Flight Camp in Cloudsdale.

SSF,I do like your idea,and maybe I might be allowed to have my hippogriff filly foal try that out.

@MyLittlePonyTales: I was hoping to make my start in a pony town somewhere. Is that a bad idea for hippogriffs?

Now for a bit more reading on this site

It's fine by me, in fact I hope you will. Once your character's approved, you don't need any-pony's permission to join an open RP thread, unless it specifically says PM to join. I hope you like school drama.

As to where you start out, what you have to do is come up with a back-story first. Where did your character come from ('When a pony and a griffon love each other very much...') No, not in that way in how your parents came to be together. Who was the mother and who the father? Are they still together, in love, or was it just a short term thing? Where did they meet? Where did they live? If you can answer those questions it would give you a basis to write your own history.

Oh! I just had a thought. hippogriffs are part pony, so do they also gain cutie-marks?

Oh! I just had a thought. hippogriffs are part pony, so do they also gain cutie-marks?

Source

Pony Relations: These creatures are the only ones in Equestria that will have "cutie marks".
  • Earth Pony
  • Unicorn
  • Pegasus
  • Hippogriff
  • Hippocamp (Herbivorous Water-Horse - Vertical spine [up and down]) With or Without flippers
  • Kelpie (Omnivorous/Carnivorous Water-Horse - Horizontal spine [side to side]) With or Without flippers
  • Zebra

tl;dr: Yes.

Is there a town that offers green fertile land,shopping and other fun places of businesses,and lets most if not species intermingle friendly like? Also places for learning about knowledge and flight.

Really, I'm not sure anyplace is completely off limits for a hippogriff. Maybe Ponyville, since board policy kind of frowns against lots of new characters from there and they clearly don't see a lot of griffons there in the first place, but I don't think Cloudsdale would be off limits if you wanted it (after all, Gilda went to flight school in Cloudsdale in show canon). I have a hippogriff living in Manehatten approved. Stalliongrad definitely has hippogriffs, as do a number of other assorted towns. Really, I don't think there's that much in terms of locations you can select that the staff will outright reject, and if they do reject part of your application, you can always just change it then.