Dashie's Computer Thread!

I know there's a thread similar to a section of what this covers, but I figured, "Why not?"

This thread will be used for sharing anything about your Computer. Got a problem? Just ask! Want to share your PC build? Alrighty! Need an opinion on what to buy? Go for it!

Well, to kick things off, I'd like to share with you, my current Computer build.

I should have pictures up eventually, but not at this moment.

ASUS M4A87TD motherboard.

Phenom II x4 975 CPU.

Sapphire Radeon 6870 1gb video card.

Corsair 5gb DDR3 1333 mhz ram. (2x 2gb, 1x 1gb.)

Corsair GS600 Power supply. (600watts)

Rosewill Mid-Tower Case.

1x 120mm case fan, (blue LED.) 3x 80mm case fan (blue LED)

Standard 7200 RPM 400gb HDD

Standard CD/DVD drive.

Other(s)

Logitech G105 keyboard.

Standard HP USB mouse.

HP 23x11 1080p LED monitor (Running at 1920x1080 via HDMI)

2.1 Stereo speaker setup + subwoofer.

So.. what's your guys' build like at the moment? And is there anything I can help with? ^~^

@ DitD: We have almost the same build, except I have the Phenom Black, the Nvidea flavor'd 1gb graphics card, and more ram (16gb) What OS you running? I'm stuck on Vista Premium x64 because I have some software that doesnt like 7 (which sadly means I have an unused 7 key I paid for PRE-ORDER and cant use :() oh and dual-boot Ubuntu x64

I will not stand aside this topic.

I shall contribute myself to it!

Therefore, here, full informations on my PC:

"Junk." ;D

To be honest, it's more of personal working PC than anything else. That's why I'm not after weird stuff on it.

@ DitD: We have almost the same build, except I have the Phenom Black, the Nvidea flavor'd 1gb graphics card, and more ram (16gb) What OS you running? I'm stuck on Vista Premium x64 because I have some software that doesn't like 7 (which sadly means I have an unused 7 key I paid for PRE-ORDER and cant use :-() oh and dual-boot Ubuntu x64

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

If I may ask, which processor are you running? I've got the Phenom II x4 975 Black Edition, so we're on the same line. Also, which NVidia card? The 560, 460, 570? etc.

In case you don't know, you can type "dxdiag" into the start menu to find all of the information you need on your PC. (Processor, Video card, etc.)

I also plan to upgrade to 8, or 16gb of DDR3 1600mhz Corsair ram in the future.

I will not stand aside this topic.

I shall contribute myself to it!

"Junk." ;D

To be honest, it's more of personal working PC than anything else. That's why I'm not after weird stuff on it.

Heh, I gotcha. Mine is pretty well-built, and I'm attempting to "future proof" it for future games and applications. Which would require I get more RAM, and a better graphics card. (Probably the GTX 680)

My main comp. croaked some month ago, I'm currently on a IBM t42, Centrino 1.86 ghz, 2 gb ram, 250 gb hd, 32 MB Radeon GPU... And quite happy. (The screen is gorgeous)

Sounds like you're lucky enough to have a 15" FlexView model. I have two of them, but they're both flexed currently. I bought the second one after the first one went b0rk for the second time, and then I put the superiour parts from the first one into the second. Might have it fixed one day, maybe even both, but the first one requires too many replacement and upgrade parts.

My current laptop is a T60, a rare 15" SXGA FlexView model with the T60p's ATI FireGL graphics adapter. It's also the first laptop in my possession on which I allow Windows to run.

"Junk." ;D

Well you've pretty much summed up my build too. Then again, how could I expect to have a nuclear power plant like the rest of the world does when my country is inferior?

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

If I may ask, which processor are you running? I've got the Phenom II x4 975 Black Edition, so we're on the same line. Also, which NVidia card? The 560, 460, 570? etc.

In case you don't know, you can type "dxdiag" into the start menu to find all of the information you need on your PC. (Processor, Video card, etc.)

I also plan to upgrade to 8, or 16gb of DDR3 1600mhz Corsair ram in the future.

I'm, I guess, a step or two back from yours, mine is the Phenom II x4 955 running @ 3.22ghz per core, I'm running an Nvidea GEForce 8400GS. It's a nice card but wont handle a lot of the newest games despite being over min spec *cough*SW:TOR*cough* though ironically it runs heavier games like PORTAL2 at max settings without a hiccup... of course that's not a major issue for me since right now the only game I play much is MineCraft and (when I get my RCA->VGA adapter replaced) Wayward Sword on Wii (sad part is I *just* got the WiiMP for my old controller and before I could boot up the game my adapter box died... only inputs on my monitor are VGA, DVI, and HDMI, so Wii and PS2 are gathering dust, though on the bright side I can hook up my 360 if I feel like it)

oh and if your curious I also have an old Compaq laptop with an Athelon2x64 @ 2.00ghz (4gh ram) and an Asus EeePad Transformer 32gb edition running the PRIME ROM side-graded from an iPad2 when I got fed up with iTunes mucking up my music library (and other than the loss of AirVideo and 1080p support, couldn't be happier... well minus a bug that makes typing really, really, really slow on a lot of apps when using the dock, but since I rarely type more than a sentance or two on it, that's not a big deal)

Also HTC EVO4G smartphone. Still serves me well despite being near it's EOL, outside of loss of support from Sprint for replacement, I see no reason to upgrade in the near future.

Sounds like you're lucky enough to have a 15" FlexView model. I have two of them, but they're both flexed currently. I bought the second one after the first one went b0rk for the second time, and then I put the superiour parts from the first one into the second. Might have it fixed one day, maybe even both, but the first one requires too many replacement and upgrade parts.

My current laptop is a T60, a rare 15" SXGA FlexView model with the T60p's ATI FireGL graphics adapter. It's also the first laptop in my possession on which I allow Windows to run.

Yep, I ignore the marketing name, but the Screen is a 15.7" IPS deal, IPS is best pony screen out there...

Mine gone nuts it's fair shere, but remving the ram modules and cleaning the contacts can make magic, So, no longer unhappy... (Now I am considering to get a Docking station, whatdanameis, the one with PCI slot plus multibay... Gonna be awesome...

I have a tech support question: Why is there only one thread in this entire subsection of the board!? :-| Technology is awesome!!

I purchased a subsection of the "Chit Chat" section for $34,88 USD (after tax.) from Artax. We'd talked about it via PMs for quite some time.

No, really.

I have no idea why I'm the only one with a thread here. It's quite lonely. Also I did not purchase a section.

I know way more than the average computer user, but I'm still learning a lot....I just started a linux class as part of my schools Networking program and i have never really worked with linux before. I'm rebuilding my old desktop so i can turn that into a linux machine. I just bought the new power supply that was shot and a new 750 GB Hard drive that was missing so i could get started. I'm willing to partition my disk as many times as I can to try out different versions if i have to. What would you guys recommend for me to try? This is going to be a purely linux based machine. We use Ubuntu in class and i believe our book covers Fedora. I will definitely pick one of those to try, but are there other versions i should give a try? What are your favorites? And I'm already looking into using Mint instead of plain Ubuntu.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts :)

Mint comes without the hassles associated with Canonical trying to be Apple of Linux and wanting Ubuntu to always be the first distro to roll out new stuff, and be it against the will of the users. Also, it pre-installs some quite useful codecs since it has Medibuntu added to the sources out of the box.

Its downside, however, is that you can't upgrade from one version of Mint to the next. So while you can update from Ubuntu 11.10 "Oneiric Ocelot" to 12.04 "Precise Pangolin" quite smoothly with the built-in update manager, you cannot update from Mint 12 to 13 the same way, and you're actually recommended to re-install the whole system. You may of course back up your home drive, but when you're the kind who tinkers with configs and other things outside /home, you've got a problem, for you have to do everything all over whenever you update, that is, reinstall Mint.

Fedora, well, I guess it's a question of personal preferences, but I've never kept any rpm-based distro on any of my computers for long. Not Mandriva, not Fedora which I tested twice, and I swore to keep SuSE off my machines altogether.

Right now, I'm running an ASUS G74SX BBK7 Laptop, stock. http://www.canterlot.com/topic/7458-dashies-computer-thread/page__pid__152735#entry152735

In short, Intel Core i7 processor, nvidia geforce GTX 2GB Graphics card. 1TB of memory, 8GB of RAM. I'm more of a network maintenance kind of guy, mostly due to my TCNO (Tactical Computer Network Operator) Class. So, mostly my experience is with networking, not so much with the hardware aspect. So far, the only software that I've seen that can kill this thing is my Sonivox Wobble VST. That thing... Ugh.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here are my specs:

OS's:

Windows 7 64bit Professional

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin 32 Bit

Hardware (my own build):

1 In Win griffin yellow case

1 Cooler Master Silent Pro M600 PSU

1 Lite on iHAS-324-98B DVD burner

1 ASUS M4A785TD-M EVO motherboard with a onboard ATI Radeon HD 4200 graphics card

2 2GB Kingston Hyper X Blu memory sticks

1 HP dvd1260 DVD burner

1 AMD Phenom II Hex core processor

1 1TB WD caviar green hard drive I use as my primary drive

1 640GB WD caviar green hard drive I use for storage (its my older drive but it still works so why junk it?)

1 Vizio Television I use as the monitor

1 xbox 360 gamepad I use for console emulation/general platform gaming

1 Logitech K520 keyboard

1 Logitech M520 wireless mouse

1 Blue Yeti Microphone

And a partridge in a pear treeeee!

I'l got soon a new computer! :kissy:

Asus V6-P8H61ELX Barebone PC Intel Core i3-2105 3.1Ghz Box Socket 1155 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 4GB 2x2GB CL9

I'm not even a casual gamer, so gaming specs aren't my target, I heard good opinions about that ASUS barebone model, an for, like the price of a mobo, I got the same mobo with a compatible PSU and assembled in a midi box... (I only assembled a mobo once, and most likely burn it, was a 486 and never worked fine) Sadly the cpu is just a i3, but it incorporates a very decent gpu... hey, the most in games I run is Gmod, and it would run fine...

I'l got soon a new computer! :kissy:

Asus V6-P8H61ELX Barebone PC Intel Core i3-2105 3.1Ghz Box Socket 1155 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1333 PC3-10666 4GB 2x2GB CL9

I'm not even a casual gamer, so gaming specs aren't my target, I heard good opinions about that ASUS barebone model, an for, like the price of a mobo, I got the same mobo with a compatible PSU and assembled in a midi box... (I only assembled a mobo once, and most likely burn it, was a 486 and never worked fine) Sadly the cpu is just a i3, but it incorporates a very decent gpu... hey, the most in games I run is Gmod, and it would run fine...

If you are not that much of a gamer, maybe you should dual boot Linux.

Its not as bad as people say it is.

I GOT COMPUTER NOW! received an assembled together my asus barebone V6 some random bits i bought (i3 CPU, but the one with 3000 GPU) and 4 GB of ram (old gamer stuff with hefty aluminnium vents) and the scavenged parts from my old setup (320 HD, DVD drive and a card reader) never assembled a modern CPU, it's easier now... :-|

The thing appeared on my mailbox this noon, at night it was working...

The small hard disk got a explanation: Now I use external ones for long term storage or media.

Right now, I'm running an ASUS G74SX BBK7 Laptop, stock. http://www.canterlot...735#entry152735

In short, Intel Core i7 processor, nvidia geforce GTX 2GB Graphics card. 1TB of memory, 8GB of RAM. I'm more of a network maintenance kind of guy, mostly due to my TCNO (Tactical Computer Network Operator) Class. So, mostly my experience is with networking, not so much with the hardware aspect. So far, the only software that I've seen that can kill this thing is my Sonivox Wobble VST. That thing... Ugh.

I've got an Asus G74 too, but still a little bit different:

• intel Core i7 - 2.2GHz
  • nVidia GFORCE GTX 560M - 3GB
  • 16GB 1333 MHz RAM (4*4GB)
  • 2 SATA HDD (279Gb + 394Gb) (But I'm looking for a good SSD and a other external HDD to put my data on)

Since it's a laptop, I don't have much things to custom :/
For other stuff I use with it:
  • Mouse: Razer Deathadder (Left-handed)
  • Headphones: Corsair Vengeance 1500

I currently run on Win7 Familial Ed., but I have VMWare with all the iso's I need (Win8, WinXP, I must have some Ubuntu somewhere, and SQLServer/WinServer (because I use it at school :))

I'm don't have awesome knowledge in "pure" hardware, nor in "pure" network, but I think I would be able to give some advices if you're looking for gaming-oriented stuff :sad: .

Feel free to ask! (Well, if DitD if fine with it, of course :sad: )

Wow, ever I wondered how lefthandeds use their setups in-game I mean, you hit the WASD keys with right hand or you use arrow keys?

Personally, I play with the arrow keys and the num pad, but I know left-handed people who play with the arrow keys and the keys just left to 'Enter' (I can't write it because I don't think that they're the same on Azerty/Qwerty keyboards).

But because of the lack of left-handed gear, most of players I know play with their mouse in the right hand, either they're right-handed or not :)