Dashie's Computer Thread!

Well I don't know where my main pc is packed since I'm moving in July. I am currently using a laptop I purchased for 100$ some years ago that still functions somehow without imploding. from what I can tell there is a Turion 64 X 2 mobile processor. an ATI Radeon graphics card and 2 gigs of ram along with a 225 gb hard drive.

Well I don't know where my main pc is packed since I'm moving in July. I am currently using a laptop I purchased for 100$ some years ago that still functions somehow without imploding. from what I can tell there is a Turion 64 X 2 mobile processor. an ATI Radeon graphics card and 2 gigs of ram along with a 225 gb hard drive.

For such an old computer you may want to consider linux as XP is on its death bed.

• 1 month later...

I just got a new laptop today... was required upgrade for a class I'm taking, so I did get $300 discount (but it still stung bad)

...still... there is only 1 word I can use to describe this laptop... AWESOME!!!

7-8 hours battery life, BEAUTIFUL display, I can pick out individual chords on a guitar on te built-in speakers, and the backlit keyboard is a really nice touch. Absolutely THE BEST laptop I've ever owned, or even ever Demo'd!

Edit:

oh and specs:

2.3ghz Processor

8gb 1600mhz Ram

256gb SSD

15" display

• 4 weeks later...

My computer's name is Momoneko ("pink cat" in Japanese):

100_1493-1.jpg

Most of this machine was built in 2008, and it's still going strong and can play anything I throw at it.

3.2 Ghz AMD Phenom II Black Quad-Core CPU

8 GB RAM

1 GB 128-bit Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT

500W PSU

3 internal hard drives - 1) 200 GB for the OS, 2) 1 TB (TV, movies, music, etc) and 3) 2 TB (Mostly anime). Almost full :-(

Dual displays - 17" and 15"

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate

• 8 months later...

Well i have a question..or two or three? XD

anyways I'll post my machine here

3.5-3.9GHZ Intel Core i7 3770K Processor (i usually find it doing above 3.5 probably cause i have the boost on i think)

AsRock B75 Pro-3M Motherboard

32GB RAM installed (16GB Usable, read below as to why)

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1

2 HDD's

1st 1TB Barracuda 2nd 500GB HDD from my old HP pavilion a1108

Nvidia GTX 550Ti (ASUS modified?, it's the ASUS edition of it)

1 i7 sticker on the side, 1 Graphics by NVIDIA sticker and 1 Windows 7 Sticker

Okay here's some questions

1 The GTX 550Ti? Is it worth going for an upgrade? nothing over 170£ (Im planning to get a bigger monitor so as it'd look way nicer And with a bigger newer more powerful card it'd be more :D)

I also have a small older Fujitsu lifebook T4215 tablet but it's not a performance thing

Intel Core2Duo T7200 Underclocked? at 1ghz (though may clock it back upto it's original 2ghz)

Intel GMA 950 or 945

2GB ram.

So yeah that's my setup, i do the occasional streaming too which is another reason why i went for the newer i7 (i was thinking of an i5 but went i7 instead for extra power)

• 3 months later...

I have a lot of the same setup as OP, like the Sapphire 6870 1 GB (Though it blew and is currently being repaired >.>).

Rosewill 500 watt psu

Phantom x4 III 955 BE edition 3.4 Ghz (3.8 overclocked)

Biostar Mobo

4 gb 1 stick of Ripsaw ram

Standard mid tower black case

Yeah last week I go to plug in my mic and it sent a charge that went though the computer and I lost EVERYTHING. Had to reinstall windows after working on even getting the bios running, and managed to save some pictures and games, but lost a lot. That including a shot video card, lucky the warrant was still good :P

ok so whats everyponies' opinion on liquid cooling over air cooling,

which do you think is better

Obviously liquid cooling is better, but you have to take note on why you want to go for that?

1. Mostly used for high intense games, particularly if you're on 1080p screen and you're using more than 1 graphic card via Nvidia SLI or AMD Crossfire.

2. Overclocking

3. It's expensive, more than possible 2 or 3 times than conventional fans that already came along with your processor and graphic card.

--- If you want better cooling, graphic card especially, try to go for the Gigabyte brands instead. I heard Ultra Durable is a strong feature on both your motherboard & graphic card.

4. Less maintenance but you need professionals or to be trained in order to handle the pipes and such.

-------

Ok, my turn!

Specifications :-

CPU: Intel i5 4430 (Haswell)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H (with Ultra Durable 5 Plus)

GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 750 (Awaiting release) or GT 740.

RAM: CORSAIR 4GB 1600Mhz (4GB RAM only, 4+0), will buy an extra 4GB RAM as well since I can afford an extra

PSU: Corsair Builder Series VS 550watts (I wish I could have bought a Gigabyte Sumo Platinum 650W instead, it has the rating of 80 Plus Platinum!)

CPU cooler: (Mostly all prepared by both the CPU Casing and the processor, no need for extra ones)

Casing: Cooler Master N300

Monitor: SAMSUNG 18.5" S19C150FS (720p, sorry, want to keep it energy efficient as well as low-cost, gladly this one uses 12 watts with Energy Star 6.0 rating) - Personally I'm on budget tight and power conscious, so I can't invest in a bigger 1080p screen while the power consumption is high.

Speakers: LOGITECH Z313 2.1 (Sorry, I no need for Surround Sound)

Optical Drive: LG 24X SATA Super Multi DVD-RW Drive

HDD: WD1002FAEX (Western Digital 1TB Black Series comes with 5 year warranty)

Keyboard: Logitech G105 Gaming Keyboard with LED backlighting (not to play intense multiplayer games, but for me to use it in the dark.)

Mouse: Logitech M-UAU94 Laser Mouse (I never want another optical again, its infrared sucks)

OS : Windows 7 Ultimate (Will upgrade to Windows 8.1 one day BUT with 3rd party software installed due to in need of a proper Start button we know and love. Plus is the DirectX 11.2 to take advantage of Tiled Resources)

• 3 weeks later...

How have I not posted here yet? I've got some hardware in my computer that I don't know exactly what it is, but here's what I've been gaming on for the last year or so:

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP

Motherboard: ASUS M4N98TD EVO

Power Supply: Cooler Master (500 W)

RAM: Corsair (6GB DDR3 1333)

Processor: AMD Athlon II X3 440 (3.0 GHz, 3 cores)

Video Card: ZOTAC ZT-50709-10M GeForce GTX 560 (2 GB VRAM)

Primary Hard Drive: WDC WD5000AAKX-003CA0 (500 GB, 7200 RPM)

Secondary Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black WD2002FAEX (2TB, 7200 RPM)

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Headset: Turtle Beach Earforce Z2

Monitor: Acer G235HAbd (23", 1920x1080)

IMG_0171.jpg

Ooo... that is nice.

Hey by the way, anybody is thinking on upgrading to Windows 8.1? And no, please leave aside the hatred for Metro, I already said there's going to be the Start Menu alternative in order to nail Metro away from our sights, just remember not to touch it of course. It's just like he's in jail and you dare to pay him a visit.

A time ago, I did build a Holographic drive. (using a Makrolon sample plus the lens head of a DVD burner)

It uses a Makrolon Waffle, gold backed plus a laser to burn data like on a disk, but with infinite* layers, now I got around 30TB of data and estimate a 80% is available. I also assembled the laser tray on stepper motors taken from a scanner, summed up with imaginative lens setup, I can burn 2^34 bytes per inch, on a 12x12" waffle with 1024 layers.

The downs: The capacity I got is Abysmal compared to other prototypes, It's SLOW on write cycles (slow as in Floppy drive slow) the read speeds are on par with a 52x CD-ROM. so slow compared with a hard disk. Also is HUGE, but it fits in a modified full PC Tower. Consumes a lot of current on write cycle (1200 w dedicated PSU and it croaks after 3 hours of writing non-stop)

As time passes the disk would lose capacity and data due to medium corruption (not at he moment)

The upside: 150 TB of storage on 2013... I can copy all internet and stop forking to my ISP