Into the Everfree (Winter, rokthepony, Dunder)

Winter

As they carried the log into position, Dunder flew around. He was looking for a large rock that he could grab and pick up to fly over the log. He found the perfect one. Dunder flew beside ait and moved it a little to make sure it wasn't too big. When he was done with the inspection, Dunder flew over the rock and picked it up with all four of his legs. He struggled for a moment to get it off the ground, but flew it over the log eventually. He dropped the rock right on the log. The rock easily broke through the log, and the section that was cut off flew down the cliff as well as the rock.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Winter held firm against the log, the weight from the rock hitting the opposite side of the branch nearly causing this side to fling him into the air. He had to use his wings and flap as hard as he could to push himself downwards and hold the log down. As the tree snapped, he thought to himself Wow, physics hurt... He went up against the edge of the small cliff and watched as the bit of log rolled down the short hill. "Well, that worked nice. I nearly flew off against my will, but still," he observed, turning to the rest of the group. "Let's just keep doing that for a bit." He braced himself up against the log again, preparing for the rest of the log to be broken up.

----

Storm's eyes flew wide with worry as the log nearly flipped all the way over the cliff, nearly sending Rok and Winter flying. "Whoa, that was close!" She called as she galloped over. She went up to the cliff's edge watched as the log tumbled down the hill, overjoyed it was working. She turned and walked up to the log and braced herself on it, making sure that she could help her two friends safely hold it down against Dunder's onslaught that would break down the rest of the tree. "Here, let me help you guys, you two nearly went flying that last time. We should be able to hold it down together..."

Rok readied himself, but was not expecting the incredible force that was about to hit him. Suddenly he almost flew off of the edge of the cliff and had to dig his hooves into the dirt to keep himself from falling. Ouch!! What the buck? How did he hit that hard? Rok redied himself for another hit.

Dunder saw them almost fly off the cliff. He smiled nervously. "sorry, I didn't think the force would be that much. I expected the rock to break through the log easier." Dunder said. He flew down in another swoop, he recovered the log and brought it back up and laid it next to them. He flew down again to get the rock. He pulled it up slowly "Prepare yourselves!" He called and threw it down again just as before.

This time, with Winter, Storm, and Rok all holding the log, it wasn't difficult at all to hold down. The log slightly bucked, and the ponies all bounced a little, but overall were okay. Storm yelled out to Dunder, "Hey! We got this now! Feel free to keep them coming! Let's get this thing done!"

----

Winter looked at her, then to the log, then to Dunder, wondering how it is that athletics training had led him to be holding a log while a huge pegasus dropped rocks on it. Yeah... Not the average day! He laughed aloud before remarking, "Yeah, we got this, Dunder! Keepem coming!" He paused for a moment before adding jokingly, "Y'know... This has been pretty fun! We should all go out and break down logs more often!"

Dunder was already getting winded. This time, he trotted up with the wooden section on his back. He took the canteen from beside Storm and took a few gulps before wiping his mouth and setting it down. He flew down and grabbed the rock before flying back up. He lifted the rock over his head and threw it down again. This time, he hit deeper causing the log to buck more.

Winter slowly looked to Rok, an expression of mock horror crossing his face, before he remarked, "Yeah... no. If he drops the rocks, then I want to apply for water boy position! This stuff is scary!" He laughed aloud and slapped Rok on the back before going to resume his hold on the log. Before he could get himself firmly in place, Dunder dropped the rock deeper, causing the log to buck Winter clear off his feet! He would have been flung far away if he hadn't used his wings to slow himself down. "HEY! Are you TRYING to turn us into shooting stars?"

----

Storm watched everything quietly, too winded to care about the drama. I hope this isn't too much longer... she thought, visible discomfort managing to show itself before she could hide it away. "Good job out there, guys... I think we are close to being done here. Just a little more!" Dunder's rock fell just after that, knocking her back and away from the log and onto her back. "Ooomf!" She cried in surprise as she hit the ground.

Rok laughed as Winter slapped him on the back and was still laughing as Dunder dropped the rock even deeper. Rok flew off the cliff and went plunging downwards. "HELP!!" Rok cried as he braced for impending impact. His life went flashing before his eyes, he thought rapidly, trying to fit his whole life into one moment; City ponies! City ponies! WHY?! Mother, Father, everyone I've ever known.

Dunder's heart dropped when he saw the only pony without wings fly off the cliff. The blood rushed out of his head as he quickly dived down at full speed towards Rok. He pulled horizontal when he was level with Rok. He didn't grab Rok by the legs in fear the force would break both his legs. So he wrapped his forelegs around Rok's chest in a mid-air tackle, the force blowing the air out of Rok's lungs.. He pulled up, using the momentum to help him. He flapped his wings harder to compensate for the extra weight as he got closer to the top.

When he reached the top, he pulled down and crashed next to Winter and Storm with Rok still around him. "I'm sorry..." Dunder said between pants, "I'm so sorry."

"HELP!!"

Storm shot up at Rok's cry for help, and darted towards the edge in fear. He was falling down to the ground below. "Somepony, do something!" She cried out, hoping somepony would be able to save Rok. She saw Dunder out of the corner of her eye, rushing towards the falling Rok. As he intercepted Rok's fall, Storm realized she had been holding her breath the whole time and breathed in.

----

As Winter regained his senses, he heard Rok's cry for help. He watched in horror as Rok plummeted to the ground below. Just as Winter was about to make a dash for it, he saw Dunder dive down, quickly gaining on the fallen earth pony. Come on, come on, come on! he thought as he willed Dunder to go faster, to save Rok. His heart beat faster and faster, until finally, Dunder caught the brown stallion and flew him back up to safety. "Oh thank Celestia!" Winter yelled as Rok was placed firmly, and safely, onto the ground in front of him.

Rok was a bit shaken up, but dangerous situations were nothing new to him. He looked up and saw everypony staring at him. Storm looking relieved and he heard Winter's cry thanking Celestia. He told Dunder that it was ok and then turned around puzzled,"so is everypony just going to stare at me or can we get this job done now," he said grinning.

"So is that enough wood, Storm? Or do we need more?"

Storm looked over at the bit of wood they had collected so far. "Yeah, I think we have enough now, Dunder... Don't worry yourself Rok, we have enough... Besides, I don't want to risk anypony actually getting hurt. We got lucky that time..." The dark hippogriff looked at Rok before pondered the situation a second, before continuing, "So... Yeah, this should be enough wood to last me a while. I'll take care of carrying it up into Cloudsdale myself, later. We really did a great job, didn't we?"

----

Winter looked around him at all the ponies he had just worked hard with. He couldn't help but feel a bit of sadness that they would be parting ways. They were all so fun... I wonder if there is anything else we could to together. I wonder if I will ever see any of them again... Winter hid his emotions with a large smile, and stood up on his hind legs dramatically, "Yep, we are that awesome. Just did that job, broke down that tree, and made it into firewood. Yep, that's us!"

• 2 weeks later...

Rok was upset that they were all leaving. He was glad to have met some new ponies and a hippogriff. He wished that he could think of something else-- he had it! "Hey you guys! Where do you come from? My cutie mark is the mark of an adventurer and warrior, I need to travel around. Do you guys have anywhere cool we could all go to? Someplace where we could do some more awesome stuff! Maybe I can go with you to where you come from, maybe I can meet your friends or something. I just feel the need to travel with one of you. It is my natural calling!" He said, hopeful that this would not be a time to say goodbye but just the beginning of a long adventure. He awaited a reply expectantly, but nervously, knowing that he may have just stepped out of line.

Dunder was relieved that there was no more improvised wood chopping. "We'll help you to get the wood to Cloudsdale." Dunder said, looking at Winter and Storm. He didn't mind volunteering Winter to help, it's all he could do after being rude to Storm anyway. He looked over at Rok when Rok started talking. When he was done, Dunder sat down on the floor and thought for a moment on hos it would work out. Rok was obviously not from around there and probably not from a static civilization. "Well.... We all live in a place where your type can't stay for very long. Earth ponies can not walk on clouds as Hippogriffs or Pegasi can. I would invite you to my house to live, but there is almost no way it would work... Also, I have a job so I can't get out very often. Although, if you stay near Ponyville or live inside Ponyville, I will be able to find you. For Cloudsdale is closest to Ponyville." He said. He felt bad having to give Rok the short end of the stick like that. Dunder had to redeem himself. He pulled off his saddlebags and rummaged through them for a bit, he pulled out about 20 bits. "Take these." He said as he nudged them over on the floor to Rok. "You can buy food or shelter with them."

"Yeah, that's us... We'll help you get your wood home!" Winter smiled at her. "Consider it a bit of an apology from me, at least. It's the least i can do." He looked over to Dunder, expecting a harsh remark. Gosh, I feel like he is more upset over the whole thing than she is... Oh well, I'll have plenty of time to prove myself to him later.

"I just feel the need to travel with one of you. It is my natural calling!"

Winter waited for Dunder's answer. "Yeah, bringing you to Cloudsdale wouldn't really work... I come out here pretty often though, so maybe we could meet up out here some time! Maybe... maybe we could all meet up together? I'd really like to learn to use that metal stick Dunder has there!"

----

After everyone except Rok affirmed helping her with the wood up into Cloudsdale, Storm couldn't help but feel relieved. "Thanks, guys, I appreciate all your help."

After Rok's explanation of wanting to stay and everyone else's ideas, she couldn't agree more with them. "Well of course we all need to meet up again! And yeah, lessons with the 'metal stick,'" She cleared her throat, "Ahem, rapier, ahem... would be great, Dunder!"

Rok was perplexed. He needed to see this "Cloudsdale". "Do you think the combined strength of the three of you would be able to carry me to such a place? Maybe I couldn't walk there, but just to see would be magnificent." He then turned to Dunder and handed him back his money, all except one bit which he kept as a souvenir. "I am a forager, and I can make my own shelter. Thank you for the offer, but you will find far more use of the money then I." He looked at them expectantly, hoping that he might be able to witness the great spectacle of a city in the clouds with his own eyes.

Dunder smiled at them both for wanting lessons, "No, I'm sorry but I can't....Although, if you pay... that would be another story." Dunder said. He hated trying to rake money from his friend, but he had to make it worth his while. Winter, he didn't feel bad raking money from. He hardly knew the pony and would be more of an instructor than a friend if he taught Winter. Storm, he would feel like he was hustling her.

Dunder looked at the 19 bits, "Take them, you're going to need to blend in. Your days of foraging and setting up camps are over, as long as you're in civilization. You need money to buy the essentials to live in a civilization. Of course, you're going to need to return the favor by working and to work you need to find a job, and to work comfortably you're going to need to take up residence near your job. I'm not talking about a tent made of leaves either, you need a building with walls and roof and rooms. Negative thoughts come when they think of the ponies who you're trying to replicate. In cities, we call them 'hobos.'" Dunder said. He hoped that his words would pierce the thick skull of Rok. "Also, you're too dang heavy to carry and give you a tour of the city, although, we can get an enchantment for your hooves to walk on clouds. Of course it is only temporary and I'm pretty sure it costs money."

Storm looked over to the rapier, then back to the other ponies. They didn't look like they'd be able to afford anything, and she didn't feel like making the others feel bad by showing off her money. Besides, I can't just go throwing your money around on stuff I don't need. I'll just have to... stick to making things for now, I can learn to use them later, after I earn a bit more money. "Well, I can't quite afford that right now, sorry. Maybe we can set something up some other time, Dunder."

----

"No, I'm sorry but I can't....Although, if you pay... that would be another story."

Winter's entire body slumped down towards the ground. "Bah horseapples... Fine, I guess I will have to learn some other way to defend myself from the perils of the world... I'm broke. Flat out broke. I'm lucky to even still have my house!" He let out a laugh of good nature and clapped Dunder on the back. "Ah well, I'll find something nice to sell someday. Then I can afford all that fancy stuff, like sword play."

Rok was a bit distressed by the fact that learning to use a sword would cost money, he could afford his house and food but not much else. Rok tried laughing when Dunder told him about getting a job and civilization to show how--not--insulted he was. "I have lived in Canterlot for almost, and I have tried various jobs; I have money. However, I cannot accept your bits. They are yours, not mine. Foraging and camping work perfectly in the Everfree, and that doesn't cost any money. That is where we are isn't it? Where will your money get you way out in the wilderness?" There was one thing that Dunder said that stung Rok, and had shocked him when he first arrived in civilization. Why would anyone look down on the "hobos", the travelers that go through the land with little money. It's not fair to judge anypony just because of his wealth. It doesn't matter if I have ten bits or ten-hundred bits I'm still a pony and deserve to be treated well, Rok thought to himself. "Maybe I should be going." Rok turned to leave. He suddenly stopped as he remembered something and half-turned around to add, "in this place its always money that causes the problems isn't it?" he said, dropping Dunder's bits to the floor. "Goodbye Dunder, Storm, and Winter. I hope we meet again." He then continued walking away.

Dunder saw that all the ponies were dismayed that he was only willing to teach them for payment. He thought for a moment before speaking, "Or maybe I could give a friendly discount." He paused for a moment, "Meaning it's free?" He added. He would teach fr free. It was preposterous to think he'd have to charge for it.

Dunder looked back at Rok. His head was indeed hard enough. Maybe a new tactic next time, seems as though hostility didn't work. Dunder thought as he made a mental note of it. But the way he turned down money offered to him was surprising. He didn't know why this pony who wants brotherly actions to turn down a brotherly action like giving money. Dunder shrugged when Rok said money was the root of problems. "Matters who you ask." Dunder said. He saw Rok leave. He started to hover himself, "Now to get that wood back to Cloudsdale?" He asked Winter and Storm.

[Wrap up the RP?]

Winter nearly made a move to bring Rok back, putting out a hoof a little bit but catching himself barely in time. Best not interfere... they already hate me enough. I'll just help with the wood and go... "Uh, sure... let's, erm, get the wood to Cloudsdale. Then we can all be on our merry way, right?" Winter proposed, walking next to the small wood pile.

----

Storm looked over between the ponies, trying to figure out how to respond. One one claw, sword fighting would be fun. On the other... she would be learning alone. Er... nope. I can't do it. I don't want to be making a fool of myself in front of Dunder alone. "Yeah, we should really, uh, get going now. It is getting just a little bit dark, for my taste. Unless you want to spend the WHOLE night out here! Come on, let's get a move on." She stated as she grabbed a nearby log in her claws. "I think we should be able to make it in one trip, easy."

[Eeyup. Whatever suits your taste.]