{Canterlot} Diamond in the Rough Jewelry Store{Pm for Invite}

crp_dude

Only moments after the jewelry shop was opened did the relatively new mare, Masala Chai, end up ringing the bell at the shop door upon her entrance. With her, besides her usual rose-colored cowl, was a saddle bag with a pair of very cute-looking mug pins to fasten the roomy pouches closed. She barely took a few steps, however, when she suddenly tripped on a clumsy shuffling front hoof. A few seconds on the ground, and she began spouting out what could only have been a few curses in a foreign language, given how angry they sounded, even when muffled by a floor. After the brief embarrassing display, worsened only by the knowledge that she was basically the new pony on the block, she stood back up, straight as a hair, and walked up to the counter. Taking a moment, she looked to the side, seeing only fine jewels and adornments of all types imaginable, even a few imported stones she recognized from her homeland. Looking over to the colt at the counter, who she could only assume was less than impressed at her recent behavior, she cleared her throat, and spoke. “Mi scusa, signore, ma ho bisogno di una sostituzione gio-- Oh wait, you probably don't speak Itailian,” Or at least so she assumed by the shopkeeper’s confused look. Of course, her using her native tongue was completely intentional. Such mastery over another language would clue into the fact that she is indeed much more cultured and refined than her brief lack of coordination no doubt displayed. These kind of ploys really helped with boosting respectfulness, as she remembered from the elite of Roam; out in the big city, you wouldn’t last a day without knowing how to do stuff like this.

Reaching back into the left bag, Chai began again, “Ya’ see, it’s actually kind of annoying, but I have this broken necklace. I mean, it’s not broken, per se, it’s just, see, missing the jewel on the front there. This slot’s been empty for the last three generations, though we haven’t had any chances or means to fix it. Got any jewels that you could cut to this?” Masala pointed to a very elaborate pendant, made of gold and lapis lazuli, which made up the small beads around it. The dazzle of the stark gold and blue colors made the necklace stand out, and made the huge gap in the middle of the pendant, where the jewel would go, all that more obvious. “Something smooth, preferably. Oh, and blue. It used to be a deep blue Mar Stone in here. You know, those jewels that look kind of like pearls? The imported ones?”

Tinybanner.jpg

Tiny swallowed nervously as so many customers seemed to come out of the woodwork, two siblings that wanted the perfect gifts for their parents, and a beautiful young lady that needed a replacement gem for a very beautiful necklace! Tiny could already feel himself starting to crack under the pressure but just took a deep breath and focused, horn glowing with soft golden magic as he was given the note, reading it discreetly he smiled giving the brother a subtle nod before taking a breath " Oh so two weather loving ponies? I think I just might have the thing you require"

Tiny focused a little bit and a case opened, two pieces floating over, one was a Pocket watch with a cloud symbol on it and some beautiful etchings all around it, the second was a pair of earrings that had stones dangling from them that looked like pure chunks of the sky " How's this?" He asked with a shy nervous smile on his face.

While he waited for them to tell him what they thought of the pieces he pondered the other young ladies requirements for her stone..something blue! He flicked his horn again opening his very own case, taking out one of his most favorite pieces, it was a pure royal blue stone that in the very center was etched the image of a delicate teacup with a wiff of steam coming out of the cup.

"What about something like this? It's one of my most favorite pieces..."

Rarity happened to be in Canterlot for a week to meet with a VIP client who she'd be designing a number of dresses for. After hours of working with the wealthy mare, coming up with the first dress design, Rarity now had some down time with which to see the city's sights. She adored Canterlot. She always had. As a filly she had wished to live there instead of Ponyville. She now recognized the magic of a town like Ponyville, but Canterlot still had a strong allure. It was a beautiful city full of ponies of elegance and sophistication. It was a place where she truly fit in.

As such, strewn about the town there were more than enough delightful little shops that catered to her varying interests. As she strolled down the streets at a gentle pace, the fashionable unicorn's eyes soon focused in on one such shop in particular. It was a quaint little corner jewelry shop, with a charm that was hard to deny. "Diamond in the Rough" the sign said. Cute name. It took her back to the mountainsides, where she would use her magic to extract gems and diamonds from the rough terrain. Charmed, Rarity decided to take a look and see what they had to offer.

She entered the shop casually and looked around. Seemed to be a few customers: a pair of pegasi who looked to be related and an earth pony mare with a puffed out cream-colored mane. Behind the counter was a young unicorn stallion. He had a gentle look to him and seemed to lack a little in terms of confidence as he served his customers, so Rarity could only assume he was some kind of hired help. Still, she approached him.

"Greetings, darling!" she started with enthusiasm. "I noticed this lovely little shop and I just had to drop in to see what you had to offer. Might you have something lovely to offer that could suit the tastes of a discerning mare with knowledge for fine jewels such as myself?"

Hoss and Shanna turned as a pony entered the shop. An elegant mare that made them both do a double take when she fell and cursed, then regained her composure.

The twins thought she looked similar to a pony they met before and nod at each other, deciding to bring it up when they get the chance.

Tiny got their attention and presented several items for their perusal. Hoss fluttered his wings, both in delight and to acknowledge the wink from the proprieter "Yes, Father will love this watch, wont he sis?"

Shanna smiled sweetly "Exactly! And, Mother will adore these earrings! If you have no other suggestions. I think we have found the right gifts!"

Just then, Rarity swept in to dazzling effect. Hoss took that moment to ask Masala while the proprieter would be busy "Excuse me Miss. You look familiar. I and my sister were wondering if you have a relative named Madam Caramel Bistro?"

Masala gazed into the glistening jewel, studying its smooth finish, the infinite facets giving way to this impossibly rounded gem, with its continuity broken only by the elaborate carving in the center. Masala was nearly mesmerized by the stone, as though it was meant specifically for her. Though it was only a moment or two, she felt as though she had already stared at it for hours, maybe days. No doubt in her mind, this was perfect. In fact, it was kind of uncanny. "It's beautiful, I'll say for sure, but... er, the symbol here, it's kinda creeping me out, how unusually fitting this is. What's the story behind this piece?"

Out of the corner of her ear, Masala heard the question voiced at her. An ear cocked that way, followed by her head. Unbeknownst to her, her cushioning mane just softly hit the side of the unicorn Rarity's face, and of course with it being so airy, Masala took no notice. Giving the colt a look of confusion, she said, "Kid, I think you got the wrong mare. Bistro is a Prench name, and my family is pure Itailian. Even then, I don't know her. What does she do?"

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: sorry if this is out of order, but trying to keep this from sinking out of sight.)

Hoss looked to see if the proprieter was done checking over the wares he and his sister had asked for.

seeing they still had a moment, Hoss and his sister looked to Masala. "She is an earth mare with very similar markings and colors to yourself. She owns a chain of Bed and Brakfast Bistros along the rail lines and is currently living in Appleoosa." Shanna chimed in "Her mane is shorter and curlier, with a creamy appaloosa blanket across her flank like Princess Luna has a dark one on hers. she also had caramel colored streaks in her mane and tail.'

Tinybanner.jpg

"Oh.. my goodnes" Tiny muttered as a very famous young pony walked into his store, one known for her fashion and use of jewels...and she was in his shop where he sold flawed diamonds great.... Oh Celestia why do you torment him like this?! "Ofcourse Miss..what sort of jewelry are you looking for? I have a good variety" Maybe he could keep her away from his case of gems and show her more of his fathers cuts?

His attention was returned to the creamy colored mare that seemed baffled by the gem "O..oh well that gem was delivered while I was on a coffee break and I had a good deal of artists block, I stared at it but then the cup caught my eye with a gentle wisp of steam coming off of it.. and it was just perfect..."

As Rarity was waiting for the response from the colt at the counter, one of the other customers brushed past, her mane meeting with Rarity's cheek. While this was mildly rude, as the mare didn't even seem to notice, Rarity wasn't inconvenienced. Instead she was kind of intrigued. The mare's mane was so light, airy and fabulously soft. Rarity had to wonder how exactly she got it like that? Not that she was dissatisfied wit her own mane, mind you, but she did often have to style others' manes. Was there a trick to it? Or was it just something natural with this particular mare's mane.

Maybe she'd ask her later. Right now, she was more concerned with the shop keeper. He seemed a little anxious at sight of her. Did he recognize her? Thanks to Fancypants she did have some reputation in the Upper Canterlot cirles and she had been featured in a few fashion magazines and the like, but the idea that she'd be recognized right off the street here in Canterlot was still kind of overwhelming. And yet, there it was. The colt's expression surely matched her own when Sapphire Shores just happened to trot through the front door of the Boutique.

"Oh, well, the thing is, I'm not really sure..." Rarity said with some thought. "I have a fair amount of bits on hand, so I'm willing to at least consider most prices."

"What might you suggest? Do you have anything that might suit me in particular? Or perhaps there's a certain piece you have of which you're particularly proud?" Rarity said, smiling in a hopes to clear the pony's anxiety.

Masala made a faint scowl at the white-coated unicorn. It wasn't out of spite, or jealousy, Masala just had something against ponies who were so keen to get their business over and done with and take their leave. So, while she was indeed heavily misjudging her at first, Masala didn't have an incredibly high opinion of Rarity at first. At least she took the time to talk to somepony else on her own level. At that, she decided to be respectful and not distract the owner from a point of interest, and instead showed more attention to the brother and sister. The two definitely did remind her of a pair she knew from back in Troteste, a pair of fortune-telling twins who had this odd habit of finishing each-other's sentences. It really creeped Masala out as a filly, though she never really knew what happened to those two, they just sort of moved away. That aside, Masala had never really heard of a "bed-and-breakfast restaurant", and pondered what that meant. Breakfast, that part was obvious, but bed? Why beds? What did a bed have to do with food? Did you eat off of a bed? Were there no chairs, so they had to replace all the chairs with beds? No, both of those ideas seemed awfully silly, her imagination was just zipping this way and that now. Instead, she casually asked, with her usual signature level of audacity, "Scuse me, kid, but, this term you use, 'bed-and-breakfast'... I own a cafe, kid, I have no idea what that even means."

The twins nodded politely when Masala looked confused and asked them to clarify what a bed-and-breakfast was. "We understand. Oh, please let me introduce myself. I am Star Skybright, or Hoss to friends."

The mare sketched a bow with her wings "And I am Shanna. We were confused too and had asked Madam Bistro about that while we were staying several days in Appleoosa. -A Bed and Breakfast is a casual inn, where a pony spends the night and comes down for a leisurely breakfast."

Hoss nodded "She explained since there werent' Inn type buildings near the rail station in Manehattan where she got her start, she built an inn into the back of a cafe' front and combined the two."

Shanna fluttered a wing "Yes, travellers can either stop in for coffee and such or stay overnight and have a cafe' breakfast. "

Masala mused over the idea of an inn with a restaurant as part of the service. It'd definitely be something her hometown could do with, being such a popular tourist area. Though, formality came before speaking business, so she introduced herself. "Chai. Masala Chai. I'm an immigrant from further east, nice to meet ya'." She held out her hoof for a quick shake from the two of them, then started to speak again. "I guess I can see the appeal to an early rise built into a late night, if that makes any sense to you. Something to think about, but I just run a tea shop down in the Heights. Not to say it's a poor business, not at all, it's just that I'm more used to the casual stop-off atmosphere, rather than some odd 'stay the night, leave after breakfast' feel. I got nothin' against, just a bit too formal for my tastes." Masala never took the time to think about it, but she probably was never one to cope with any sort of seriousness. Heck, she'd give the Princesses a hardy pat on the back if it wouldn't get her thrown straight into prison. Ick, royalty. Far too eloquent in their policies for her to even consider dealing with, ever.

• 3 weeks later...

Tinybanner.jpg

There was something about the white pony's tone that sounded amazingly sincere.. maybe she wouldn't mind one of his..creatons? "Well " He said moving over to HIS case, and had the glass lid open up, a silver Diadem covered in beautiful purple and blue gems floating up, the imperfections in the gems catching light and sparkling and twinkling "This is my newest piece, it's got..flawed Amethyst and Sapphires making a boarder around the edge with a diamond making a crescent moon shape in the center" he said levitating it over to her so she could see for herself, it was a very lovely head piece and he was very proud of it.. he just hoped she wouldn't judge it for being flawed.

He had noticed that on Rarity's flank were three flawless diamonds , it was the polar opposite to the three flawed ones on his own flank... his cheeks burned with embarrassment because what was he THINKING!? Maybe the element of Generosity would be generous with her sugar on her words and not tear him a new one for showing her such a creation..

Rarity stared at the piece with scrutiny. The gems were highly flawed. When gem hunting Rarity might have even discarded gems of this quality in favor of better pieces. There was something striking about how the flaws looked in the light though. With just the right intensity of light, the flaws became the strength of the otherwise unspectacular piece. Rarity found something in that quite poetic and wonderful. It was the sort of work that made the unicorn stop to pause a moment.

"It's lovely, darling. An exquisite artistic piece, boldly unafraid of its flaws and in fact looking toward them for strength. That's quite the wonderful sentiment, really," she said, giving an approving nod.

"The workmanship is rather impressive as well..." she added as she studied it keenly. "Do you mean to say you made this yourself, darling?"

Tinybanner.jpg

"Yes ma'am it's the best piece I'v made so far" He said before moving to gesture at his flank "That's sort of what I'm good at..taking flaws and making them into strenghts.. especially in Gems...I feel that any gem can sparkle and shine if you treat it right.." His face reddened a little bot and he swallowed "I'm glad you like it .." Giving her a genuine smile since she was really being kind with her words and genuinely seemed interested "I want to make my Dad proud, you see he owns the store, and his Daddy did before him..so this is a family tradition I just want to live up to those standards"

A part of his brain was thinking about those Glass Slippers the twin wanted for his sister, he had measured her hooves with his eyes and already had an idea for the perfect pair, he would just have to have the brother come to him while she was distracted so he could confirm the design.

"Well I think that's wonderful. Inspiring really. It gives me some fun ideas for dresses..." Rarity said, with an eager nod. "I'm sure you'll make your father very proud if you continue to produce such exquisite work."

She couldn't imagine a parent that wouldn't be proud. To produce such fine work from such imperfect gems was a true talent that Rarity wasn't even sure she could match. Anypony who couldn't understand that was just unreasonable.

"It would delight me to own this piece," she said, smiling as she continued to look at the crown. "For the right price of course. What are you asking for it?"

• 2 weeks later...

(OOC: I'm not sure its my turn, but I'm kicking this can a little further down the road while Quicklime is feeling down.)

While Shanna was occupied speaking with Miss Chai, Tiny caught Hoss' eye with a glance.

He hoped there would be time to give the shoe styles a quick look."Excuse me for a moment, ladies..."

Hoss sidled over to the counter as he waited for a break in Tinys dealings with the famous fasionista.

Meanwhile, Shanna continued to speak with the energetic earth mare. "Your shop is in the Heights? We simply must stop in sometime. Do you have a business card? "

"Hmm? Oh, uhh, sure. Gimme a tick, I'll fish one out." Masala shuffled through the pockets of her satchel for a card, or something. She always came prepared with scores of advertising for her shop. After all, getting the word out was how business worked. ...Except that she forgot to fill her bags with anything. Drat, well, that's the end of-- wait, no! She did have one place where she kept cards, in case of card emergencies. Closing her eyes, and raising an eyebrow in slight embarrassment that she actually had to make use of such a silly emergency backup, she said, rather briefly, "Scuse me a sec." Taking a disappointed breath in and out, Masala reluctantly shoved her hoof into the cushioned mess of hair she called a mane, and began another fervent search for a card. A few seconds of glances here and there, and Masala finally pulled out a fine ebony-colored card, made by a friend back home when she began her business. She never switched designs since then; it looked to good to her. It had on it a steaming cup of tea with a mind leaf hanging out, almost seemingly isolated from the world in a solitary shaded background. Her shop was always a nice place to kick back and get away from the rest of the tiresome world and workplace, and she took pride in it being a small, uncrowded business. The smell of herbs she had bathed in this morning still hung in the depths of her mane, or so it appeared to be. Oh well, it was a pleasant smell for the card. brushing it off just in case there were hairs caught on the paper card, she offered it to Shanna, hoping it wasn't too odd of a storage method. The Chai Mare, her shop was called, or so the card said. What more did a simple cafe need in terms of title, after all?