[Appleloosa] Dapper Dan's Barbershop [Open to all to chat]

Snowshoe

Candy stifles a giggle with a hoof over her muzzle as she listens to Doc Holly Day tease the Sherrif about Louise LaMare.

She smiles when Silverstar thanks her. "You are welcome. Please thank her for her work. Crocodile Lyle bought a few books in the last supply run and it's helped ease the bordom for everypony at night in the camp. Oh, and I really reccomend a nice perfume after this round of gifts. Let her know a fan highly reccomended it in thanks."

She perked her ears when Dapper Dan asked her to check his work. She looked at the reflection, moving her head side to side a bit. "Oh thank you! that looks great. Will I need to take a special slotted seat for you to get my tail or wings, like at the salons?"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Miss LaMare will appreciate hearin' that, Miss Catchem," Sheriff Silverstar said with a smile. "Her novels bout Pioneer Pony life sure inspired me to be a part of the foundin' of Appleoosa!"

"Me too!" added Doc Holly Day, "I was a Canterlot doctor till I decided to come here. My parents thought I was crazy, but I knew I wanted to join this herd of pioneer ponies. Miss LaMare's books made the West sound go exciting, wild horses couldn't keep me away from here!"

"Thank y'all fer all this great advice! A great pony like Louise LaMare deserves a great gift!"

"Nope! Chair's of my Dad's design. He was a fan of keeping things nice and simple." Dapper Dan informed Candy. There was a click as his left forehoof came down onto a pedal, which unlocked a swinging cover over the slot at the back of the chair. His horn glowed with the same soft red ochre light, which then surrounded Candy's tail and helped thread it through the slot at the back. "How much off the tail again?" he asked casually. He looked over at his other guests and grinned.

"Well, I wish I could say my choice was that exciting. When I got here, the town was already up. Kinda makes me feel like a freeloader, y'know?" Dan said, shrugging. He still felt like he was doing something, out here on the frontier in a fledgling town. Like he was helping pave the way for something, even though he was just a barber.

"You're welcome, Sheriff. And good luck." he said with a smile.

Candy smiled at the Sherrif "You are welcome, sir."

She ohhhed and turned her head to look back as the back of the chair opened in a tailslot.

"Oh wow! Thats very clever!"

She giggled at the tug on her tail. "That magic tickles.." and looked back when Dapper Dan asked for a reminder.

"Oh, two hoof-widths. That mesquite has been murder on it and it was getting too long anyway."

"Nonsense, young stallion!" Doc Holly Day neighed. "No one in Appleossa is a freeloader, right Sheriff?"

"Absoltively!" added the mustached lawpony. "We needed a barber shop in this here town fer quite a spell! Used ta be there was a few ponies who'd give manecuts outta their own homes, or try to groom their own manes. Many times, that didn't work out too well."

"Yep! Hay Sheriff, remember that one filly who was here fer a while last year?"

"Ya mean Clip'n Curl? Sure do! I was the one who rushed her to the train to leave town after she gave Chief Thunderhooves' son that really bad furcut! We almost had a buffalo stampede here had it not been fer ThunderClap and Lightning Horn talkin' the Chief out of it!"

"Yessiree! So we're all pleased as punch to have ya here, Dapper Dan!"

"Yep, jist be a might careful if'n ya ever have a buffalo customer, ok?"

Dapper Dan smiled when she complimented the cleverness of the chair. It was quite clever, he agreed, and made it easier than having multiple chairs and all that. He nodded. Two hoof-widths. Simply enough. He combed through her tail, looking out at the other ponies. "Well, glad to hear that I'm needed for the town." he said with a laugh. "And will do...although I've never seen a buffalo around." he mused, using a hoof to push his glasses up his snout a little.

"Do they come to town often?" he asked. He'd been there not that long, but long enough that he figured he would have seen a buffalo if they'd come by in the town.

(OOC: Sorry for the delays, the meds for my ankle are still messing with my sleep cycle)

Candy Catch-em perked her ears, but remained still for Dapper Dan's tailcut "Buffalo you say? Yes, do they come to town often? Our expedition has been avoiding the herds out where we are since they are intelligent like ponies and we dont wish to annoy them."

She looked back at Dapper Dan "I have to say providing a vital service after the town has already gotten a good start dont make you a freeloader, more of a sign the town is growing. If you need any help on how to cut a buffalo's shaggy locks, you might want to ask if they have any advise first. its kinda wooly, particularly around the hump."

"Well Miss Catchem and Mr Dan," the Sheriff began to explain, "nearly all of the buffalo stay clear of town. In fact, the closest they come to us is during all them thar apple pie distributions."

"But there are two of the herd who do visit us here from time to time," Doc Holly Day added, "their names are ThunderClap and Lightning Horn. They sort of act as unofficial ambassadors between us and the buffalo chief."

"That's right, and thar's two things that them buffalo really hate bout us ponyfolk. One, Pinkie Pie's singin', and two, Clip'N Curl's furcuts!"

"Thanks, Candy. I'll remember that." Dapper Dan said. Wooly hair, especially at the hump. He would not want to get that wrong, especially with how dangerous the buffalo can be according to them.

He looked over at the Sheriff and the Doc as they spoke. He'd have to keep an eye out for them. "Pinkie Pie's singing?" he asked. He'd heard of the problems that Appleloosa had had with the buffalo early on, but not the details.

"I take it that's a musician who's songs I shouldn't try my hoof at singing?" he asked, chuckling. Again, if he could avoid insulting the guests to Appleloosa, then that would be great for him. Especially if these two buffalo ever came in for a manecut.

Candy blinked in surprise, the name sounding familiar with her living in Solstice Heights.

"Pinkie Pie? Is that not one of the six heroines of Equestria who agreed to appear in the Hearth's Warming Play several months ago? I caught the performance, and .."

Candy closed her eyes to think for a moment. "Umm she was the pink one, right? High, squeaky voice when singing? Yeahhh, I can see where that would rub some non-ponies the wrong way. High pitched sounds can hurt some critters."

She chuckles "Perhaps some ponies should get together with these two buffalo and try to get them to sing to see what they can tolerate."

The pegasus mare smiled brightly "I hope I can run into them sometime when I come to town."

Sheriff Silverstar and Doc Holly Day cringe at the discussion of Pinkie Pie.

"Don't git me wrong, folks. Pinkie Pie's a true hero of Equestria and all, but when she started beltin' out a tune singin' in front of us townsfolk and the buffalo, NEITHER side liked it. In fact, that was bout the only thing Chief Thunderhooves and I agreed on up to that time, that it was the worst performance we'd ever seen."

"Pinkie can carry a tune, this is true," added the mustached unicorn, "but that thar song was HORRIBLE!"

"Might be a good idea to ask our buffalo friends about the kind of music they like," the mustached lawpony said with a nod.

Six heroines of Equestria...suddenly it hit Dapper Dan. The name wasn't familiar but he'd seen the newspaper articles, and the accompanying pictures. A pink pony with a high pitched voice...he agreed with Candy, he could see how that would be irritating. He realized that he'd zoned out a bit and continued working on Candy's tail, having gotten only about a single hoof-width's off. He still had one more to go, and he started slowly as usual, taking only half off first with the scissors. "Morbid curiosity kinda makes me wish I was there. I think that was only a short few days before I arrived." he reasoned. He hadn't been there long, but it wasn't like he'd just moved in, either. "And don't worry. I'll make sure to not sing...whatever it was. I keep to some older songs, mostly the barbershop quartet stuff." he explained, chuckling. "Even though I'm only a fourth of one."

Thorn chuckled "I and Madam Bistro arrived after that incident as well but I am told we should be glad to have missed it. From what I've heard of Pinkie Pie's antics over in Dodge Junction recently, I can believe it. At least we got the Cherrychanga on our menu from Bistro's B&B location in that town out of that incident."

Candy raised an eyebrow "Dare I ask what a Cherrychanga is?"

Thorn laughed "Well, the cherry orchard owner there seems to have worked out the recipie from Pinkie while she was there and shared it with Bistro's chain as long as we use her cherries."

Candy giggled "Sneaky arrangement, but as long as it works out..."

"Funny y'all would mention that, Dapper Dan!" Sheriff Silverstar announced proudly, "cause we're workin' on gittin' a real Barbershop Quartet started here in Appleoosa!"

"That's right!" added Doc Holly Day, "I myself sing bass and the Sheriff here can sing alto. Say, can any of y'all sing?"

"We could use a tenor and a soprano voice! We did try out ol' Pick-Axe Pete, but he'd never show up fer any of the practices."

"He kinda has an addiction to salt, spends too much time over at the 'Salt Block', the unicorn doctor sadly admitted.

"Pete could carry a tune though, that's fer sure."

Dapper Dan agreed with Candy, that was definitely a sneaky arrangement, though one that was obviously great for business, which was good in small towns like Dodge Junction. It meant that at least the cherry orchard would have consistent business.

He was just starting on the last bit of Candy's tail when the two stallions mentioned they were getting a quartet together. He smiled, obviously quite happy with said turn of events. "I sing baritone, so our songs would be a little on the lower side." he explained, clearing his throat for a moment. "In that dear little tooown, in that old county dooown..." he sang just a quick snippet of a song, showing off the deep-ish tone of his singing voice. Despite being concentrated on singing, his levitated scissors never once skipped a beat nor missed a cut on Candy's tail, and he turned back. "There! Should be nice and trimmed." he said to the mare with a smile.

Thorn grinned and raised a hoof "If you need a tenor singer, I may be your donkey! When would try-outs be? I need something to do with my spare time besides read."

Meanwhile Candy peered over her shoulder at her tail "Wow! Great job! It does not look like it's been snagged all to Tartarus on every mesquite thorn in sight of camp!"

She smiled and felt her wings twitch.

"So what pose would I need to be in for a preening?"

"That was absoltively great, Dan!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed, "Ya sound like a natural singer ta me!"

"I agree," Doc Holly day added with a smile before turning towards Thorne, "and you sing tenor? That's wonderful! We could use both of ya in our group!"

"That's fer sure! Miss Ketchum, do you happen to sing?"

"The more voices, the better the song!"

Dan smiled at compliments to both his barbering ability, and his singing ability. He wasn't a particularly boastful pony, but he still took pride in his abilities. "Thanks, to all of you." he said with a smile.

"I'll join up, sure! Just drop by whenever you want me to come out for practice or what have you." he told Doc Holly Day and Silverstar. To Candy, he smiled a little sheepishly. "It's been a long time since I've done a wing preening so you'll have to help me out a little." he said with a laugh. "How do you usually sit?" he asked, letting his scissors and the like rest in the disinfectant again.

Candy smiled brightly "Ohhh this will be a relief. Since you dont' do this often, I would not think your chair would be set up for it then. I guess I'd better sit on one of your floor cushions..."

She got out of the chair and moved to one of the waiting cushion seats, moving it where Dapper Dan could best have access to her. She sat down and leaned forward onto her forehooves. Candy then extended her right wing, the brighter bands of orange from a healed injury showing. "Take your softest brush and give it a good going over from wingroot to wing tip. the loosest will come off then. After that, a good tug on each large feather, starting from the wingtip and working back. the old ones that are ready will come loose, then a good brushing all over again to smooth the good feathers back in place, then we repeat on my left wing. Easy as pie."

The pegasus mare looked at Sherrif Silverstar "I can sing very well. Good enough in fact to help me calm animals, but I dont' know if I will be in the area long enough to be worth including in your group. Sorry..."

"Absoltively great, Thorne and Dapper Dan!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed. "We're havin' er best practice tonight at the town hall! Glad ta have ya on board!"

"Indeed," Doc Holly Day nodded, "We understand, Miss Catchem, but ya gotta open invitation anytime you'd like ta sing with us! We could always use a female voice in the group."

"Too bad Miss LaMare can't sing all that well. She tries hard, but her voice makes wild dogs howl and ponies run fer cover!"

"C'mon Sheriff, tain't THAT bad."

"Doc, Louise's singin' could cause another battle with the buffalo!" the mustached lawpony laughed,

Dapper Dan nodded at her instructions and levitated over his softest brush, trotting over to the waiting area with her and smiling. "Alright, seems simple enough." he said. He set himself up next to her right wing and started gently running the brush along, from wingroot to wingtip, as per her instructions. Sure enough, the loose feathers started to drop off.

"Tonight, town hall." Dan repeated, smiling at the Sheriff. "I'll be there, sir." he assured him with a smile.

He chuckled at their banter about Miss LaMare's singing. "It can't be all that bad. Everypony can sing with a bit of practice." he said. It was something he believed in, despite having heard some truly...difficult cases. He looked over at Candy as he continued brushing. "How's this? Not hurting you or anything, gettin' this all done right?" he asked, chuckling a little nervously. He didn't want to end up hurting his first female, and first pegasus, customer.

Thorn brayed happily "I would be glad to come to practice tonight. You can count on me."

Candy smiled "If circumstances change, I'll be glad to try singing in your group. For now, though... I can probably be a bigger help with Miss LaMare. We have lots of wide open space where badlands and prarie desert meet at the camp, so she is welcome to come and practice with me, and I can help teach her to sing better." She added in a stage whisper aside "If nothing else, she can help scare the tumbleweed coyotes out of camp..."

Candy visibly relaxed by the moment, the more Dan worked her wing over. Almost purring like a cat by the time he asked the question. "Ohhh... you are doing it Just right! With all the pegasi that will be moving in, I think you are going to get a lot of business... Sherrif? Is Miss LaMare in need of a preening too?"

"Say Miss Catchem, that's a good idear!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed. "We've never had a barber in town before that could preen Pegasi wings. Come to think of it, we ain't got a whole lotta Pegasi in Appleoosa, but the ones that'r here could always use some wing preenin'. Need to mention that to her next time I see her."

"That might be sooner than ya think!" Louise LaMare shouted, standing in the doorway. "And I heard what you said about my singing, Sheriff! You have a LOT of nerve!"

"Whoa thar Miss LaMare," Doc Holly Day said as the older red maned unicorn dashed to stand between Louise and the Sheriff. "Let's not make a scene here."

"Louise, er, Miss LaMare.. I didn't mean ta..."

"Well you DID! And I did have this apple pie I was going to give you as a gift! But I won't do it now!"

"Apple Pie? I LOVE apple pie! Let me have it!"

"WITH PLEASURE!" the furious Pegasus shouted, throwing the pie and watching it splatter all over the lawpony's face.

Dapper Dan grinned, albeit a little nervously when he saw her relax. He didn't know it had that kind of an effect on pegasi. Still, he kept working, nodding. "Glad to hear I've got this alright." he said with a smile, gently tugging out the more stubborn ones as per her instructions. He'd just begun brushing over her wing again when he heard a shout from the door, and a rather steamed looking light brown pegasus mare in the doorway. Miss LaMare, he figured.

At first he was amused by the little outburst, until he realized, rather quickly, that LaMare was not joking around, and was actually angry. He levitated the brush onto the waiting room table and sighed. "I'm sure he didn't mean any offence, Miss LaMare." he said, having seen the two at the Hoedown. They'd seemed relatively happy together. "After all, I'm sure you're a wonderful singer." he added, hoping he was doing something to defuse the situation.

Candy suddenly ulped as Louise made her presence known, then splatted an apple pie in the sherrif's face.

Candy spoke to the mare in a soothing manner, hoping to calm her down.

"um, g-good morning Miss LaMare. Just so you know, my offer of the camp for a place to practice is genuine. I'm sure you are a fine singer, but if you come practice with me, you can soon make the sherrif eat his words, right? If you wait a little bit, Dapper Dan here can give you a heavenly preening -on the sherrif's bill as a peace offering."

She gave a glare to the sherrif not to fight this. "...And afterward, he can take you out so you can find a lovely set of shoes..."