[Appleloosa] Dapper Dan's Barbershop [Open to all to chat]

Snowshoe

Louise was furious, but Dan's words started to calm her and Candy's great idea for a 'make up gift' from the Sheriff did catch her attention.

"Y'know," the brown Pegasus mare said as she turned back towards the shop. "I think that's a WONDERFUL idea, Miss Catchem, and SO DO YOU, RIGHT SHERIFF?"

The stunned mustached stallion, his face still mostly covered in smashed apple pie, simply nodded his head in approval.

:"Glad you agree, Sheriff," Louise said with a slight smirk. "First the preening and THEN we go shoe shopping. Am I right?"

Once more, the Sheriff nodded. He then tried to reach out for a towel, but being blinded by the pie, he wasn't doing so well.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dapper Dan let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd been holding, happy to see that, for now, Mrs. LeMare had settled down, and hopefully there wasn't any lasting damage to their relationship.

"Here, Sheriff." he said, sweeping a towel from a small ring on the barber's chair and holding it in his hoof as he held it out for the Sheriff, draping the towel over his hoof with a sympathetic little turn of the lips that he kept hidden rather well. He definitely didn't want to get a pie thrown in his face, and could imagine it probably wasn't the most pleasant of experiences.

He turned back to his work, smiling at Louise. "Shouldn't take too much longer, Mrs. LeMare. If you'd like, there's some magazines and such to flip through while you wait...they're only a little out of date." he said with a chuckle as he got to work on Candy's other wing.

Candy whewed in relief as Louise calmed down and embraced the idea of the 'make up gift' with great zeal. She was definitely as firey as some of the mares she wrote about in her books.

She was sure the sherrif was going to have an excting life with Miss LaMare around...

The orange mare settled down and let Dapper Dan continue with her wings. "Oooh that feels so relaxing.... Oh Louise, I think you'll like the article in that "Equestrian Geographic" on Ponyville in it's pioneer days, with period tintypes and water colors. The Smith family looked quite striking too."

"Really Candy? I'll be sure to check those out! Thanks!" Louise said as the brown Pegasus mare walked over to the waiting area, took up one of the magazines and began to read it. Sheriff Silverstar accepted the towel from Dapper Dan and began to wipe all of the gooey apple pie from his face.

"Doc, I sure got myself into a fix, didn't I?" the mustached lawpony whispered.

"Yep, but at least ya got a way out of it," Doc Holly Day whispered back.

"I can't believe I put my hoof in my mouth that bad, Doc."

"THAT kind of 'hoof and mouth' disease I can't do a thing to cure, Sheriff."

Dapper Dan let out a soft chuckle as he caught Silverstar and Holly Day whispering amongst themselves. He finished up the preening of Candy's wing, and smiled when he finished. "And there we go! Say, that wasn't that hard at all." he said with a laugh. He did some mental math, and gave her a price for the preening and the mane and tail cut. "Come on back any time." he said pleasantly. To Miss LaMare, he smiled. "And now for you, Miss LaMare. Just the wing preening?" he asked, an automatic reaction. He looked over at the sheriff and chuckled, forgetting that it was on Silverstar's bill. "By the way, I don't think we've ever formally met in my time here. I'm Dapper Dan." he added with a warm smile. He knew Appleloosa wasn't big, but there was still some ponies in the town he didn't know yet, at least not having met formally. He'd said hi to a few on his way around town, and knew most ponies by sight. He'd seen Miss LaMare around but had never said hi, nor did he know what she did around town.

Thorn chuckled softly at the sherrifs predicament, now clearly not in any hurry to leave and relieved at Louise having calmed down. "Well, Doc. how often would you see us practicing and performing, by the way? Or shall we see how practice goes first?"

Meanwhile, Candy fluffed her wings and folded them when Dan finished. "Oh that is a very fair price, sir." She counted out the bits and a couple extra as a tip "Your horn magic has such a soothing touch. I'll make sure I tell any pegasi I find in the area."

She checked the pocket watch in her saddlebag "I may as well hang around to talk to Louise. It's not time to head back with the supplies."

"Pleased to formally meet you, Dapper Dan!" Louise Lamare neighed, shaking his hoof as the brown Pegasus mare took her place in the 'chair'. "I do believe I'll have the WORKS, Dan! My mane could use a trim, and do you do hoof-a-cures? After all, the SHERIFF will be paying for it all, won't you, SHERIFF?"

The mustached lawpony simply nodded.

"Good call, Sheriff," Doc Holly Day whispered. "The less you say, the less chance of ya gitt'n in MORE trouble."

"Ya ain't help'n, Doc," Sheriff Silverstar quipped.

"Thorn, I think we should practice at least twice a week. As for performing, we all usually git together once a month fer a community sing, between competitions that is. Will than work with yur schedule?"

"Thanks for staying here to talk to me, Candy," Louise said with a smile, "I'll enjoy your conversation MORE than a certain badge wearing stallion's that will REMAIN NAMELESS!"

The Sheriff lowered his head sadly.

"I'm in more trouble now than a worm trapped in a henhouse..."

The red maned unicorn walked over to Candy and whispered in her ear.

"Candy, can you help me bring these two back together? Frankly, Louise is beginnin' to sound like she's gonna break up with him. Those two ponies need each other, will you help?"

Thorn nodded in agreement "Certainly, Doc Holly Day. While business for the B&B is picking up, we are getting enough new help I can schedule for that. Madam Bistro will certainly enjoy that I am becoming a visible, and vocal, part of the community. "

Candy stifled a gasp, but nodded to the unicorn when he asked for her help.

The pegasus mare whispered "I'll do my best to warm her up to being happy and receptive. The best time to get her forgiving will be when her wings are being preened..."

Candy moved to a closer seating cushion as Dapper Dan started on Louise "It must be amazing good luck for a wild west author to find a town and lawpony just like they stepped out of one of her books. Especially with somepony who cares enough to ask what to get the mare he loves..."

[sorry guys, I got super busy with work.]

"Go right ahead, Candy. Everypony's welcome to stay and chat here." Dapper Dan informed her with a smile, shaking Miss LaMare's hoof and motioning to the seat Candy had been occupying in the waiting area. "Well, seeing as we're here, I figure we'll start with the preening first." he said, levitating up the brush and giving the Sheriff an apologetic smile for adding a bit more to his tab. He'd find a way to help pay the Sheriff back, unless he felt it was a fair bit of revenge.

He got to work on the pegasus' left wing, about to ask a question as to what it was Louise did in town when Candy spoke, answering his question for him. An author, hmm? He kept quiet, able to read between the lines of what the other mare was saying. He figured if he kept quiet, and did his job (which, according to Candy, was quite relaxing) well, it would help ease the tension between the couple. So instead of interfering (and getting his tongue tied and likely say the wrong thing), Dan just kept the brush moving in slow, methodical strokes along Miss LaMare's wing.

The gentle care and attention she was receiving on her wing began to make Louise LaMare feel more at ease. A smile formed on her face as Candy began to talk to her.

"Yes Candy, I was very surprised to discover Appleoosa. I was even more surprised when I learned that many of these ponies were inspired to settle in Appleoosa by my novels. I had always dreamed of living in those rugged, Pioneer pony times, and this wonderful town is that dream come true for me, right down to the.. sheriff..."

As she spoke, Louise looked over at Sheriff Silverstar. In a rush of memories, the brown Pegasus mare remembered all the good times she had with the mustached lawpony, and how she instantly connected with him from the moment she first arrived in town.

"You're right as rain, Miss LaMare," Doc Holly Day said to break the silence in the room. "I left my family's medical practice in Canterlot to come here and become the town doctor cause of yur great novels. So did the Sheriff! Right Sheriff?"

Sheriff Silverstar stood silent, his eyes now fixed on Louise. Both were looking deeply into each other's eyes and smiling. Doc smiled too, sensing what was going on.

Candy was amazed and relieved at how fast things were turning around for the Sherrif and Miss LaMare.

She was trying not to break the moment, but decided to give a little nudge "You are so lucky, I dont know many males who would ask around for advise on the perfect gift for a mare."

Candy leaned back on the cushion she was on, hoping Louise was nudged into fully being over her anger.

Meanwhile, Thorn sat quietly for now, not wanting to break the moment for Silverstar and Louise.

Dapper Dan was just as surprised that it was actually working, and so he kept quiet, not wanting to ruin anything. It was kind of cute, seeing the couple forgive each other that quickly over such small things. He smiled at what the Doc said, nodding.

"Yeah, I was much the same way...read a few novels, I think one may have been yours, Miss LaMare, and then decided to come out here for a bit of adventure." he admitted. He gently tugged out some of the larger feathers, looking at Candy and chuckling. Thorn seemed quiet as well. If it was any other situation, he'd feel a bit awkward, but after having seen the two fight, he figured it was best to let them have their moment.

"Yes, I am very lucky," Louise said dreamily, her mind racing back over all the good times she had shared with the Sheriff since she arrived. The Pegasus mare glanced up once more at the mustached lawpony. "Sheriff, I'm so sorry I clobbered you with that pie."

"No need to apologize, Miss LaMare," Sheriff Silverstar said. "I was outta line sayin' what I did 'bout yur singin'. Besides, that thar was the BEST tastin' apple pie I ever got clobbered with!"

Doc Holly Day laughed at that remark, and then gave a quick wink to Candy, Dapper Dan and Thorn. Seems that their 'plan' to get the two ponies to 'make up' with each other was working.

Candy smiled in relief, and gave a "hooves up" sign to Doc Holly Day.

The pegasus mare leaned back in her cushion seat and gave her wings a stretch, loath to do anything to end the moment between the Sherrif and Louise.

She rolled her eyes as Thorn took that moment o ahem and chuckle, asking a question...

"Thorn chuckled "So Sherrif, was it as good as the pie the buffalo chief was hit with?"

* ...colts... * she thought

"It was even BETTER!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed with a big, toothy grin.

"Oh Sheriff, I still feel bad about the pie," Louise said with a heavy sigh, "I'll bake you another one as soon as I can,"

"No hurry, Miss Lamare. Besides, you best sit still so Dapper Dan can do his thing,"

"I truly admire your skill, Dan," Doc Holly Day said. "I'm sure once word gits around about your shop, you'll be flooded with customers, especially Pegasi. Candy, if ya don't mind my askin', what bring ya here to town? We ain't got another rattlesnake infestation, do we?"

Candy sighed in relief as things seemed to be going better for them, then turned at Doc Holly Day's question.

She waved a hoof "Oh not at all, at least no one has flagged me down for that today. Two of us are here for a supply trip, and I'm free to shop or get myself taken care of while the supplies are rounded up. when that Royal Canterlot Zoologial society cart is filled up, it's time to go. Did you know they've found two different kinds of Cactus Cougar this trip? One seems based on Prickly Pear cactus." She shakes her head "I shudder to think what they would have found if that Discord wierdo had stayed free. Here we are after several thousand years of nature weeding out the really crazy stuff he made last time, or imprisoning them in Tartarus, and we're still finding bizzare critters."

Dapper Dan finished up the preening, grinning at Doc Holly Day. "Why thanks, Doc." he said, happy he could provide some service to the good folk of Appleloosa. It wasn't much, but he knew that ponies needed manecuts, pegasi needed preenings, and heck, it was something at least. Brought a bit of comfort to the frontier, which he figured would make things a lot easier on folks. It was all fine and dandy to work hard, but he knew that it was nice to relax once in a while too, and enjoy the simple pleasures, like a chat and a manecut.

The brown unicorn got off his chair and smiled at Miss LaMare. "If you'd just follow me over here, Miss LaMare..." he said, motioning to his barber's chair. He listened to what Candy said, chuckling.

"Really? Now that's gotta be something to see. An animal made of cacti..." he mused, shaking his head. He couldn't even imagine it. "Are creatures like this common for you to find? Or do you usually just find more mundane things?"

"Thank you, Dan," Louise LaMare said as the brown Pegasus mare followed the barber pony over to the barber chair. "That's interesting to know, Candy. I've never heard of cactus cougars before."

"They's a legend about them critters," Sheriff Silverstar spoke. "Few of'm have ever been seen er even photographed, but they are known to roam freely out in the wilderness."

"By the way, Dan," Doc Holly Day said, "if ya don't mind my askin', how did ya git along with that fiddler mare that ya met during our last hoedown. Haymaker was her name, I believe."

"Say! I remember that spry filly! She's the one with the boxin' glove cutie mark, if I recollect right."

"Do you correspond with her? She and the rest of the Hay family had to return to the Nisbusgait Lakes after their appearance here."

Candy smiled eagerly as the cactus cougars were getting interested questions.

"One of the reasons Canterlot is studying these creatures is to find out how they can be plant and animal. Fortunately, the more mundane creatures are more common for me to run into. That makes the strange ones all the more shocking for ponies to find.

So far as we can tell without a full magical and x-ray scan yet, these felines seem to not entirely be plant, but it forms on the outside like a thicker, armored skin, and makes them dangerously hard to find. Its very effective camoflage and protection as you can guess. It seems to be a desert version of whatever Discord had done to the Timber Wolves of the Everfree forest back in the Time of Chaos."

She winked "I'm sure you will all agree with me in hoping Discord stays locked up for all time so no more wierdies are made..."

Dapper Dan nodded. "If he's the one behind weird creatures like that, I'd agree. Something just ain't natural about that. Not quite sure what, just..." he said, shaking his head. "I hope these cougars aren't a threat to us. I'd hate to imagine how hard they would be to catch and get out of the town." he commented. That would be a mess, trying to catch critters made of cacti. He waited for Miss LaMare to sit down, then got to work, first wetting her mane with a spray bottle of water, then levitating over a comb and combing it out.

Dan was just levitating over some scissors when the Doc asked his question. He grinned, albeit a little sheepishly. "Fairly well, if I'd have to say. Though I'm not exactly an expert when it comes to this kind of stuff." he admitted. He adjusted his glasses with a hoof while he turned for a moment to address Louise. "Any particular still, Miss LaMare?" he asked. After that he turned to look back at Holly Day and the Sheriff. "Yep, you got it. And I have, actually. Sent a few letters her way, got a few back." he said. He actually did like Haymaker, quite a bit. He'd have to make an effort to head out toward the Nimbusgait Lakes, and go say hi.

"Kind of a pity that she couldn't stay here longer, but I figure she's got to work and all that." he commented idly.

"The time of Chaos?" Sheriff Silverstar asked.

"Yes, Sheriff, the TIme of Chaos," Louise explained, "the period in ancient Equestria history when Discord took over the kingdom the first time."

"Legends do say that Discord's legacy lives on through the many creatures he altered," added Doc Holly Day. "Betcha them Cactus Cougars DID come from that era."

"One word of advice, folks. NEVER mention Discord in front of our buffalo friends. They didn't take too kindly to bein' transformed into a herd of ballet dancers when Discord got free the last time."

"Sound advice," Louise gigled as she looked towards Dapper Dan. "Maybe Haymaker will return to Appleoosa for a visit someday. The rest of her family seemed to like it here."

Hearing this made the red maned unicorn and the mustached lawpony snort.

"If'n Hayseed and Haywire DO come back here, they better be on their best behavior!" Doc Holly Day neighed.

"That Haywire needs a trip to the woodshed fer all the trouble she caused here last time!" added Sheriff Silverstar. "Onery filly!"

"Hay! Everything turned out alright in the end, didn't it?" the brown Pegasus mare asked, generating nods from the Sheriff and the doctor before she turned towards Dapper Dan. "Oh, you asked me about the mane style I wanted. Forgive me, I got caught up in the conversation. Hmmmmm. I'd like to try something new. Would you be willing to give my mane a permanent?"

Edited by Mojo

Candy Catch-em smiled and waved a hoof "Oh they are relatively shy critters, so it would be rare for one to come into town. If any do come into town though, I can be here in a jiffy."

She got a serious look on her face for a moment. "However, if you see any bugs that look like brightly colored golf balls, get rid of them immediately and dont let them eat! Parasprites would be a deadly danger to a town in the desert if they eat all the food."

She peered over at Louise. "Hmmm that is a good question from Dan, do you have a preference for mane style?" She winked ".. or are you feeling adventurous?"

The name Discord rung a bell with Dapper Dan, though it wasn't immediately clicking. Much of those strange few hours were a bit of a blur, the ones that had Discord in control over much of Equestria, for just a short time. He couldn't help but let out a snort of laughter. "Ballerinas?" he said with a grin. "Now that there's funny." he said, a bit of the Appleloosan twang coming through.

At the mention of the Hay family, Dan smiled and nodded. "Yep. No real harm done. Everyone seemed happy in the end, and I remember Hayseed and Haywire were quite sincere in their apologies." he agreed. Nothing really bad had happened, so there wasn't much else to say. If they came back, he wasn't going to look down on the siblings for causing trouble...kids would be kids, after all.

He listened to Louise's request and tapped a hoof to his chin for a moment. A permanent?

"You'll have to excuse me, Miss LaMare, typically I cut stallion manes." he said with a sheepish grin. "Not entirely up to date on many of the terms, either." he added. Not that he wasn't trained, it's just, well, his father hadn't had any formal training either, having learned directly from his grandfather, who passed it on to Dan's father, then to Dan. He knew how to cut manes mostly by instinct, not any specific terms. "Think it has something to with curls, right?" he asked.

"That's right, Dan," Louise said with a smile, "doing a permanent requires rollers and peroxide. I didn't realize you mainly work with stallions. Well, in that case, could I have a layered cut, something in the lines of what Princess Cadance wears?"

"Wow Miss LaMare," Sheriff Silverstar said, "ya wanna looks like royalty?"

"Nutin' wrong with that," added Doc Holly Day before the eyeglass wearing unicorn turned towards Candy. "Them parasprites can be pesky. I hear tell they had a big problem with them in Ponyville a few years ago. I wonder how they got ridda'm?"

"Wasn't it Pink... er... I mean, that pink colored Earth pony that will remain nameless who got them to leave town?" Louise asked, catching herself before she mentioned the 'forbidden' name.