[Appleloosa] Dapper Dan's Barbershop [Open to all to chat]

Snowshoe

Candy Catch-em smiled 'Layered like the Princess? That would be interesting. Great idea Louise."

She nodded to Doc Holly Day and Louise. "I heard a certain mare was responsible for driving the creatures from Ponyville. Reports say she put together a one-pony polka marching band and led them back into the Everfree forest.

While that was gong on, I was in Fillydelphia on an emergency call by the mayor there for the same problem. I tried everything before I remembered they only respond to music or food, so I got the Fillydelphia Grand Marching Band together and led the beasties out of town. I cant figure out the reports of building damage to Ponyville though. The things only eat food causing devistation by starvation so I have to wonder what happened with that bunch...

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Now layered I can do. And no need to feel bad about not knowing...I figure with how small Appleloosa is, I'll have to learn how to work mare manes soon enough." Dapper Dan admitted with a laugh, getting to work by first brushing out her mane.

"A marching band led them out of town? That's strange. Then again, makes a bit of sense I guess." he said. It seemed odd that a one-pony band would be able to lead a group of voracious parasprites from a town, but then again, he'd heard of ponies able to control snakes simply with a flute.

"But what's to stop them from spreading elsewhere, or coming back?" Dan asked. He could only imagine how devastated Appleloosa would be if the parasprites got loose in their town. After all, there was only really one major orchard, which, if destroyed, would be a disaster.

"Kinda doubt them critters'll ever come to Appleoosa," Sheriff Silverstar said. "They'd have to travel through the desert and thar ain't nuthin' to eat out thar but sand ad tumbleweeds!"

"Not unless somepony brings'm with'm from back East," added Doc Holly Day.

"But who would do such a thing?" Louise asked.

"Some pony that didn't know no better. That could happen. Maybe I best watch new arrivals on the train more carefully fer now on."

"Couldn't hurt, Sheriff."

• 2 weeks later...

Candy shrugged her shoulders "I guess what keeps them from coming back is the forests they are led back into, where nature takes care of itself. It would seem the reason ponies and other creatures near the forests are rarely bothered by the predators of the forest is they must be making Parasprites the mainstay of their diet*. The darn things would be eating the forests down to the dirt in no time if they werent' being eaten by something. As for their moving somewhere else, it sometimes happens when a windstorm hits a forest, or when ponies removing them from their town dont' remove them far enough. "

She nodded at Sherrif Silverstar's idea to check new arrivals a bit more carefully "Watch the foals especially, they might think their new pet is cute and harmless. the darn things are all the colors a foal loves in toys."

*(OOC; Wolves in IRL have been seen to eat mice and other rodents as their mainstay diet between big kills)

As terrible as a marauding band of parasprites would be, Dapper Dan couldn't help but flinch a bit at the thought of them being the staple of some animal's diet. Maybe it was just because ponies were vegetarians, and the thought of eating another creature just didn't work with him.

He continued with his worn on Louise LaMare's mane, nodding idly at the conversation. "I'd hate to see what they could do if left unchecked in our orchard. They sound like terrible little buggers." he said. Despite the fact they were living things he'd hate having to deal with them if they ended up in town.

A few more minutes of scissor snipping and moving about later, Dan floated his tools away from LaMare's head. "So, how's the mane look?" he asked as a mirror floated up behind her head so she could see the back in the mirror ahead of her.

"Hope I did it right." he added with a smile. It looked good enough to him.

Louise peered into the mirror and was delighted at her reflection.

"This is EXACTLY what I wanted!" the light brown mare shouted, "Dan, you're a genius!"

"You look right purty Miss LaMare, DON'T SHE, SHERIFF?" Doc Holly Day asked, gently nudging the lawpony into responding.

"You do look really purty, yesiree!" the Sheriff neighed. "You look like a real Princess!"

"Really Sheriff?" Louise shouted in delight. "You really think so?"

"I sure do, darlin'! You'll always be my Princess."

"Nice touch, Sheriff," Doc whispered as Louise squealed in delight.

• 2 weeks later...

Apple Cinnamon trotted down the main street. Recently she was given a full fledged tour of Appleoosa by three of the nicest ponies she ever met. Now with an idea of weree everything was in her mind, she was able to venture about with confidence. Looking at the businesses, she noticed that there was a barber shop. She noticed that the place offered mane and tail cuts for both mares and stallion.

"Well ah'll be! A shop that helps out both mares an' stallions!"

Apple Cinnamon then realized that she hadn't had much time to attend to her own mane ever since moving to Appleoosa. Looking at her reflection in the mirror, she noticed that her once poofy layered mane was now haphazardly arranged almost looking like she rolled out of bed and made no attempt to fix it. She suspected her tail was just as bad.

"Oh mah stars! Ah didn't think it was that bad. Ah' have to get this sorted out."

AC wasn't a vain pony, but she knew that appearances were part of her total self. And so she walked into the barber shop. To her surprise she saw three familiar ponies there.

"Oh howdy there y'all! Nice to see you again."

Candy Catch-em nodded as Dan declared he would not want to see what would happen to an orchard. "I hope to never see such a thing either."

She watched as Louise inspected the mane styling "Oh! That looks wonderful Louise! You have assured yourself of steady work Dapper Dan."

Candy smiled as she watched Sherrif Silverstar praise his special somepony and the unflappable donkey Thorn hides a smirk.

Suddenly a light brown mare with a poofy mane came in greeting her friends.

Candy looked over to them and smiled "Looks like business is picking up for you Dapper Dan... Oh would you all like to introduce me to your friend?"

Sheriff Silverstar, Louise and Doc Holly Day were all delighted to see Apple Cinnamon walk in.

"Apple Cinnamon!" the Pegasus mare shouted, "Wonderful to see you again!"

"It sure is!" added Doc Holly Day as he rushed over to her. "Dapper Dan, Candy, Thorne, this is Apple Cinnamon! She's a relative newcomer to our fine town, been here jist a few months, right?"

"Always good to see new friends agin!" added the mustached lawpony. "Jist take a gander at Miss LaMare! Ain't she purty? Dapper Dan here kin fix ya up jist like her if'n ya like, Miss Cinnamon!"

Louise blushed so hard, a tint of red could be seen in her facial fur.

Dapper Dan smiled, happy that he had another satisfied customer. "I'm glad you like it, Miss LaMare," he said sincerely, taking a small little bow and snapping the razor shut with a small flourish. He was about to say something else when he heard the door open, and another pony came in. He smiled warmly at her. "Why hello there! Welcome to my shop," he greeted. Another mare, he noticed. That wasn't bad, he could get more practice in. She seemed to recognize the other ponies there, but he had never met her.

"A pleasure, Miss Apple!" He knew of the Apple family, and just guessed, shot in the dark, that this mare was a member of it, given her name. He smiled a little sheepishly at the praise he got from the Sheriff, though he was pleased that they liked his work.

"Yup. I'm still getting practice when it comes to mares, but I don't think I did half bad." Miss LaMare looked quite nice with her new manecut. "So, what can I do for you?" he asked the newcomer.

Apple Cinnamon was instantly greeted by her friiends at the barber shop.

"Well it's nice to see y'all again. An' it's nice to meet the rest of you too, Dapper Dan, Candy, and Thorne. An' yes ah've only been here fer a month or so. Ah'm still findin out who everypony, or in your case Thorne donkey, is and where everything is."

Apple Cinnamon then heard how Doc Holly Day and Sheriff remarked at Louise's new mane style.

"Oh mah stars! That's an amazin' look. Ah' really do like yer mane Louise. You'll be turnin' quite a few heads with that."

The mare was then greeted by the owner and asked what style she wanted.

"Well Ah'm happt to be at yer shop. As fer a mane style, ah' kind of let it go fer a while while ah' was movin' here. So normally ah' like it big an' poofy like the country singer Molly Troton (OOC: Dolly Parton), butah' figure ah' can try a different style like what miss LaMare has."

• 2 weeks later...

Candy waved a wingtip at the newcomer as she was introduced "Good day, Miss Apple Cinnamon. Pleased to meet you! I am Candy Catch-em. I am working with a zoological expedition nearby."

Thorn stood and made an elegant bow "I am Thorn, and I am pleased to met you as well, Miss Cinnamon. Please feel free to stop in at Madam Bistro's, where I work."

Candy stepped over to Louise "Oh you look stunning!" And stifled a giggle with a wingtip at Sherrif Silverstar's reaction.

Thorn hmmed as Apple Cinnamon asked for Molly Troton's manestyle. "This should be interesting to see while i am waiting to talk with the others about that barbershop quartet..."

"That's an excellent choice, Miss Cinnamon," Doc Holly Day said with a smile as the Sheriff paid Dapper Dan (plus a generous tip) for the work he did on his marefriend.

"There ya go, pardner," the mustached lawpony said as he turned towards Louise. "Am I forgiven, Miss Lamare?"

"Of course, dear," the light brown Pegasus mare replied, "But you DID promise to take me shopping too, right?"

"Absolively!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed.

"Candy, Apple Cinnamon, would you like to come shopping with us after we're done here?" Louise asked.

Dapper Dan smiled, happy to meet somepony else just as new to the area as he was. He thanked the Sheriff when he was paid, noting (quietly) the generous tip added on. He smiled while Miss LaMare tossed up the idea about going shopping, and went over to the tiny counter and cash register at the back of the shop to put the money away. He then got to work with a broom, sweeping away the bits of mane and sticking them in a bag, that he placed in the back. He brought it with him to Fillydelphia whenever he went back home, where wig-makers would buy it for use.

He trotted back to the front, adjusting his glasses with a bit of magic as he walked. "Whenever you're ready, Miss Cinnamon," he said pleasantly, motioning to the chair and smiling again. It was quite the busy day, and that made him rather happy.

"Howdy Candy! You're studying wildlife here? What kind? And ah'll be sure to stop at the Bistro when ah' have the chance."

Apple Cinnamon then heard Louise speak of shopping with Candy later on.

"Well that would be mighty nice goin shopin with you."

Dapper Dan then motioned to the chair in which Apple Cinnamon took a seat. She was a little nervous as she never had a stallion cut her mane. A stallion's styling was usually way different from that of a mare's and of a more simpler variety. Yet seeing how louise LaMare's mane turned, she was able to feel more relaxed.

"Alright then Dapper Dan. Ah'm ready!"

Candy smiles and sits back in her seat "What kinds? The normal critters that live out here like roadrunners and jackrabbits, then the fun ones like Cactus Cougars and Tumbleweed Coyotes. They are strange but interesting."

She flutters her wings "I cant wait to go shopping either. Did you have anything special in mind to look for?" and watches as Dapper Dan goes to work on the mare's mane.

"Well," Louise said with a smile to the other ladies present, "since the Sheriff is buying me some new shoes, I thought I'd shop for a new square dancing dress to go with them! After all, Appleoosa is rather famous for its dances. Wild West dances, Mild West dances, hoedowns, square dances, we have them ALL here!"

"That's certainly true, Miss LaMare," Doc Holly Day said with a nod. "It's a whole lotta fun to play for them dances and I hope Miss Cinnamon will be joining our band in the near future. We could use your musical talents."

"Absotively!!" added Sheriff Silverstar. "Say Dan, maybe on one of your off days we menfolk kin go out and have us a night on the town together! We could go over to the Salt Block fer a few drinks, whatdoya say?"

Dapper Dan got his gear ready to go, levitating a comb over while his newest customer settled herself into the chair. "So, just like Miss LaMare here? Or have you got something else in mind?" he asked Apple Cinnamon, wanting to make sure he got everything right before he got right to work.

He grinned at the reference to other dances in the town. The hoedown had definitely been interesting enough, now he'd have to see what the others were all about. "That, Sheriff, sounds like a great idea. I'm not usually busy so whenever you want to go, just drop on by and knock. I'll probably be here," he explained with a bit of a nod, more to himself than anything else. Unless it was a trip back home for more supplies, he was usually hanging around the shop, or somewhere in Appleoosa.

"Oh, yer lokin' fer all kinds of critters then Candy. Ah' haven't seen many, but ah' tend to not get out beyond the town much."

Apple Cinnamon heard from Louise about finding a dress for the dances. She heard about those before, and made it a priority to attend. Listening to her friend it sounded like Appleoosa was filled with dances. The offer from Doc Holly Day to join in with her music, further caught her interest.

"Well both of you have mah interest peaked. Ah' definitely want to check out a dance or several. And ah' will definitely lend mah voice and mah fiddlin' to liven up the dances!"

Dapper Dan then asked Apple Cinnamon if thee style she wanted was exactly like Louise's.

"Well ah' do want it like hers, that layered look an all. Ah've had this same style fer years an' since ah'm livin' in a new town ah' want to try somethin new. Now ah'm not lookin' fer a complete change of mane color, but if you can put some highlights in mah mane that would be fine. An' the same thing with the curl at the end would be nice."

Candy Catch-em hmms at a thought "That's what a lot of townsponies say when we come to town on supply runs. Maybe before the expedition wraps up we can set up a informative display in town and let everypony come and find out what's living out there. How does that sound everypony?"

Thorn twitched an ear "You mean pictures of the animals and such?"

She nodded "Yes, and some of us being there to answer questions."

Candy smiles and looks around hopefully.

"You are going to LOVE this hairstyle, Apple Cinnamon!" Louise LaMare neighed, leaping repeatedly for joy. "I'm so excited that you ladies are coming shopping with me! It'll be so much fun!"

"Don't fergit the Sheriff here, he's comin' with ya too!" Doc Holly Day chuckled.

"A promise is a promise!" Sheriff Silverstar said with a determined neigh. "I said I was gittin Louise a stylelin' and shoes, and by gum, that's what I'ma gonna do!"

"Yur a pony of yur word, Sheriff," the red mustached unicorn said before turning towards Candy. "An information stand, eh? Sounds like a really good idear! Many of the townfolk don't venture too fer outta the city limits, so it'd be really great to know more about all them critters livin' round these parts."

Hearing this part of the discussion caused the giddy light brown Pegasus mare to suddenly stop jumping and get a serious look on her face.

"Oh my Candy. Are any of these wild animals, dangerous?"

"Highlights and curls. You got it." Dapper Dan started gathering what he would need to work on the mare's mane. Colouring was something he wasn't totally familiar with but had done on occasion.

"That's a great idea, Candy. I sure as can be don't know what's out there. Be good for the newer townsponies like me," he said with a smile as he got to work with Apple Cinnamon's mane.

"And even if they are, Miss LaMare, I'm sure Candy's used to it. After all, it's her job. She'll be able to keep the townsfolk safe from the critters...right?" he said with a bit of a nervous chuckle, not wanting anything dangerous running amok.

[colour=#006400]"That sounds like an interestin' idea Candy," [/colour]Apple cinnamon said as she sat in the chair. It was nice to have ponies to talk to while she was having her mane cut and styled. It wasn't that she was afraid of a barber as she of course went to many in her lifetime. But friends and conversation led to the time passing by quicker.

[colour=#006400]"Well ah' think that seein' how you liked your style Louise, ah'm lookin' forward to mine."[/colour]

Candy nickered happily at the interest in the idea.

With a response like this, this would be great PR with the local populace and help them know what to avoid and what to befrend.

She turned to Louise. [colour=#daa520]"Well some things are dangerous, of course. Most critters out here are intelligent enough to avoid ponies and their stompy hooves or their hard hitting pies. [/colour]

[colour=#daa520]So far, nopony has called us for help from Timber rattlers, scorpions, tarantulas and the like. I am even more encouraged that nopony has reported a single Cactus cougar or Tumbleweed Coyote within several miles of this town. -And I insist on being notified right away if that happens."[/colour]

She tapped her chin in thought [colour=#daa520]"Sherrif, should I go ahead and bring a Cactus Cougar and a Tumbleweed Coyote for the display? Both in cages of course."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Absotively!" [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar neighed to Candy. [colour=#8B4513]"Betcha all our youngin's would LOVE to see them critters in cages!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"That's a sight I'd love to see myself!" [/colour]added Doc Holly Day, [colour=#696969]"Dapper Dan, Apple Cinnamon, what do y'all think?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Well, as long as their in cages with no chance of escape," [/colour]Louise LaMare said nervously. [colour=#FF0000]"These frontier animals are not calm and docile like most of the animals in Equestria are. I would dare say that even the famous Fluttershy would have her hooves full trying to tame Cactus Cougars and the like."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Don't ya fret none, Miss LaMare! I'm sure Candy knows how ta handle'm!"[/colour]