A Minor Analysis on the Elements of Harmony

Solaria

hi hi

I know I've said this before, but I'll say it again. The changelings, and Chrysalis in particular went way beyond necessity in their behavior.

• They feed off love, yes, but was destroying Canterlot and eventually all of Equestria necessary to receive love? The answer is almost certainly no.

• Is taking control of the minds of her victims allowing for any kind of dissonance? Not even close, its about as homogeneous as you can get.

• Did they need to drain a pony completely in order to get enough to sustain themselves? No, they sustained themselves on lesser amounts of love as long as Chrysalis could remember.

• Do we have any reason to assume that the Elements of Harmony would have put them in the same boat? No. Each time the Elements have been used, the results have been different. In the end, the Elements of Harmony were not used, so we don't know what they would have done. (But I will assume they would have restored harmony in the face of violence.)

• Could Chrysalis have looked for an alternative solution to her food problem? Yes. She showed all the signs of possessing sapience, and thus was not governed solely by instinct. The actions she took were proactive and planned, not instinctual or reactionary. Also: In Equestria, carnivores are able to live in harmony with other animals through some kind of careful management, the specifics of which have not been revealed.

• Do the changeling's powers need to be used to deceive? No. They could potentially be used as a way to simply fit in with a multitude of different races, increasing cultural exchange and diversity.

• Like 1

Ginger and I seem to be on the same page with this whole thing. And he can articulate her thoughts so much better than I can!

Though I think removing all love from a place that is built on love and harmony would lead to chaos. Though a different sort of chaos than Discord was shown to create.

Ginger and I seem to be on the same page with this whole thing. And she can articulate her thoughts so much better than I can!

Though I think removing all love from a place that is built on love and harmony would lead to chaos. Though a different sort of chaos than Discord was shown to create.

Ginger is definitely one of the most articulate and interesting debate-savvy posters I've ever seen. I really have nothing more to contribute to this discussion that could really expand on its depth.

(Psst, Swirly, Ginger is a stallion.)

Just a silly idea expanding on what was said about Cadence/Shining armor... if their love did indeed feed the changelings... Perhaps the reason we dont see them in the future (you all know they're gonna vanish like all other one-off chars) is they are sent as a peace envoy to the changelings, using the magic of their love to feed them all? A little cheesy but a really cute idea I think.

hi hi

Well... I think I sometimes get a little bit carried away when it comes to debates and things like that. Like here for instance, I couldn't help but think about how the Elements of Harmony might work in the future, even though we really don't have much to go on at all.

The Elements seem to almost have a poetic way of handling situations. Nightmare Moon wanted eternal night, so the Elements of Harmony gave it to her. In Equestria, the moon is basically always on the night side of the planet, so while she was also imprisoned, she did have 1000 years of night. Discord treated ponies like objects, and was turned into an object himself. Perhaps the Elements, if they had been used, would have done something with love. Maybe allowing the changelings to experience it instead of just feeding on it, or maybe changing the way they fed on it? Who knows...

Even without the Elements of Harmony, I can think of a few ways the changelings could be fed responsibly. They can change their appearance to be just about anything. With their potential for dashing good looks, they could go into show business, model the latest fashions or create the greatest pop musical group ever seen and receive adoration from fans all over Equestria. (Just switch out performers between each song and everyone gets their share.)

Or, in the same way that there are cooks who's job it is to prepare food for others, you could have reverse restaurants where changelings prepare food that ponies love, and in return that love feeds the cooks.

• 4 months later...

I'm not quite as intelligent as some of you ponies but i was about to wright my first fanfic on this vary topic. now i don't think theirs a right and wrong answer to this debate of the elements of harmony because the real stuff behind them is in the mind of the shows writers. but hears what my fan fic is going to be about. Plz nopony seal my idea.

Long a go shortly after the founding of equestra before the pony's changed the session. Everything was controlled and maintained by the goddess of harmony. discord grew tired of sharing the world with harmony and devised an plot to destroy harmony for ever. Thay fought and even tho their powers were equal discord did not play fair like harmony and triumphed over the beautiful goddess. with time running out and the life dwindling she selected the pony's to carry on her legacy and keep the world in harmony. But the ponies were far to weak to weld her power. she searched all over equestra for the most powerful ponies. She found Celestia and he little sister Luna, the most talented unicorns on the planet. Despite this they still wouldn't do even tho their spirit was strong their body's still couldn't even hold a fraction of her power but the goddess' time was running out and she had no choice. so she devised a plan. she gave Celestia the power over the sun and charged her with protecting the creatures of the day. she gave Luna The moon and charged her with the Protection of the creatures of the night. Receiving these powers changed the little ponies. It gave them bodies fitting of the role they were stepping in to. that were essentially transformed in to the goddess of harmony. so their bodies became completed ahd harmonious, displaying the best traits from each species of pony. Even tho they had new bodies they were no goddess so the bulk and remainder of the goodness's power was separated in to the elements of harmony one for each essentual characteristic of harmony. but the 5 elements could not work on their own, they needed the magic of friendship that Celesta and Luna shared to power them.(or something like that i was going to do something about just Celestia being the 6th and Twilight actually containing a piece of Celestia inside of her or whatever .) and together thay defeat Discord and seal him in stone (though i think carbonite would be better). and they make build their castle in the everfree forest which I'm sure it was called something else before the battle between the two princesses made it almost unlivable.

i'v also been thinking about the changelings. maybe they are like vampires once all the love is sucked out of some pony they change. they look like ponies more or less.

and i think it was the changelings who caused the ponies to flee their homes originally. think about it they steal their love so they get mean then the ghost things feed on the hate that is caused by the changelings makes since to me.

or the changelings were ponies who sided with discord so he changed them to be the perfect enemy for the ponies. i mean thay can look just like a pony and then steel all their love and make them fight each outer and all kinds of mean stuff so why wouldn't discord create them.... or the vampire thing and in that case are a lot older than the war between the goddess of harmony and discord.

so whatcha guys think...am i full of poo or good ideas. i know my grammar and spelling are horrid but if i write it for realz ill go over it again and again and again so don't worry.