Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

This is most likely going to be my only post in this particular thread, but my own personal philosophy regarding insects is that anything with more than four legs is an abomination of life. :oops:

Oh, except for house centipedes...they eat all the other insects and arachnids in my house, and I leave them alone. :)

This is most likely going to be my only post in this particular thread, but my own personal philosophy regarding insects is that anything with more than four legs is an abomination of life. :oops:

Oh, except for house centipedes...they eat all the other insects and arachnids in my house, and I leave them alone. :)

And yet they'll out live the human race.

For survival, I put my money on insects and bacteria and archaea.

We're all entitled to our own opinions my friend. However I do feel that I should point out that a vast amount of arthropods are incredibly beneficial to our human lives. Butterflies and Bees are a great help to the pollination of flowers and other vegetation. Flies and Millipedes eat dead and decaying plants and animals and keep the earth's surface from being covered in corpses. Like you mentioned, Centipedes, as well as Dragonflies, Praying Mantises, and just about every kind of spider there is, eat countless pests that actually are detrimental to human living. These predators themselves are practically harmless to us.

I should stop before I start ranting like Swirly does on science. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to interupt, but I found this... and I'm not sure what to make of it...

Dh40y.jpg

inform me, Bugmaster; what is it, and what does it do? O.O

(I think it's called a 'Amblypygids')

Sorry to interupt, but I found this... and I'm not sure what to make of it...

Dh40y.jpg

inform me, Bugmaster; what is it, and what does it do? O.O

(I think it's called a 'Amblypygids')

That, my friend, is a kind of Arachnid called a Whip Scorpion. They're named as such because of their long tails protruding from their abdomens and claw like forearms, giving them the appereance of a scorpion. Not all of them possess a tail though, such as the one you showed. They're nocturnal predators who feed on many insects and pests harmful to human life, as many arachnids do. :) If you ever see one, be sure to give him/her your thanks. ;)

You can read more about them here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thelyphonida

And here.

http://www.realmonstrosities.com/2011/07/whip-scorpion.html

Your very welcome! It's very flattering when people come to me to inquire about arthropods. Awhile ago, I said that I was thinking something a little more desert for my next highlight, and whip spiders and whip scorpions fit that bill rather nicely...

"wink wink nudge nudge"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Bug Master, I hope you're still around...

So last night when we came home, this guy was crawling across the inside of our door:

Spider2.jpg

I know the picture isn't the best, but I didn't want to get any closer to it. I had the hubby promptly kill it, because anything with a large abdomen makes me think of poison.

I submitted the picture to whatsthatbug.com, and the reply I got was that it looks like an immature Widow. To me, it still doesn't seem like it matches. I'm curious to know your thoughts!

Ha ha, thanks for thinking of me. I'm still kicking, though I have been neglecting my thread somewhat awful. Now I'm not sure how well I'd be able to identify it, but I would like to mention that the genus Latrodectus, or Widow Spiders don't always have a signiture "hourglass" on their abdomens and may lack a pattern all together. Did you get close enough to notice anything about the abdomen other then it's size?

I know I haven't poked my head in this thread to post but I've been looking in on it from time to time. I do have to see the Anazonian Centipede freaked me out. Especially the photo with the eggs...

I'd like to see a spotlight on the trap door spider, Bugmaster. They've interested me for quite some time now. While on the subject of spiders and the like, I don't kill on sight unless it is an insect that has given me trouble in the past such as yellow jackets.

I couldn't see the underside of the abdomen, which is where the "hourglass" would have been if it was a Widow.

The spider was an inch or less in size. It looked black to me with light spots, but the hallway was dark, and the camera flash made it look brown, not sure which colour it actually was.

I'm so nervous right now, because if it WAS an immature Widow, that means Momma isn't too far away...and I have no idea if they are in the house or if this one just wandered inside.

I couldn't see the underside of the abdomen, which is where the "hourglass" would have been if it was a Widow.

The spider was an inch or less in size. It looked black to me with light spots, but the hallway was dark, and the camera flash made it look brown, not sure which colour it actually was.

I'm so nervous right now, because if it WAS an immature Widow, that means Momma isn't too far away...and I have no idea if they are in the house or if this one just wandered inside.

You live in NY, as I do. So it could potentially be an immature Northern Black Widow (Latrodectus variolus). (You can tell because of the lines along the abdomen and the broken hourglass-esque shape). However, personally I find this unlikely for an urban environment that you and I both live in. They tend to like more woody areas. Sometimes they like stone walls, but what they aren't, are typically house spiders. So, I really can't think of a reason why it would be that... If it is, the bite isn't as bad as most people give it credit for. They are also really timid, so they prefer to run away from humans than attack.

What I personally think it is, is the Triangulate cobweb spider. They look more or less identical to black widows, only they tend to be more brown in colour (as the picture indicates) and they tend not to have the red markings, but rather white, typically. The markings can share striking resemblance to black (or rather brown) widow spiders. They are also similar in size and general shape. They also have the exceeding benefit of being world wide in terms of habitat and liking houses. So, unlike the black widow, they are actually rather common in NY and in temperate zones in houses. The great part? They are totally harmless to humans, and actually tend to be more helpful than harmful!

(I hope my reply satisfies the bugmaster)

The colouring seems to match more, though the size doesn't - Wiki and some other sites say the females are about 1/4" or less - though I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure this one was closer to a full inch with its legs. I would be thrilled if it's this harmless one instead. I'm not worried about Widow bites on myself, but rather, our cats :(

The colouring seems to match more, though the size doesn't - Wiki and some other sites say the females are about 1/4" or less - though I can't be certain, I'm pretty sure this one was closer to a full inch with its legs. I would be thrilled if it's this harmless one instead. I'm not worried about Widow bites on myself, but rather, our cats :(

I think that is only their abdomen, not including the legs, but i could be wrong

I'm very glad you think so. :) I know I already said it, bit I've been neglecting my bug thread... I should do another highlight soon, preferably before I state that I'm neglecting the thread again.

• Like 1