Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

I heard about that! It's beyond exciting, and I can't wait to see where it leads. Bees are extremely fascinating little buggers (hehehe), and totally inspirational too! Which is a perfect segue into where I'm going to take the bee discussion: creativity and fashion!

Alexander McQueen is a huge name in the fashion industry. He was a British fashion designer who passed away in 2010, but the label he founded in 1992 is still going strong and remains extremely successful. The Alexander McQueen fashion house's current creative director is Sarah Burton, and under her lead their 2013 Spring/Summer Haute Couture collection features designs that take inspiration from bees! They play on a lot of other themes I'll quote below, but the overall visual aesthetic draws on bees and bee keeping. Each model wears a fashionable play on a bee keeper's veiled hat, and there are outfits which play up the honeycomb theme as well as resin bustiers and jewelry covered in small, crafted bees!

The collection is a study of femininity. We looked at...cages, corsets and crinolines and the idealization of the female form. Nothing is set in a particular period. It’s about sensuality and skin but not nudity. We also wanted to express lightness, for the clothes almost to hover over the women who wear them. - Sarah Burton

• 4 weeks later...

Alright... Time to get off of my lazy abdomen and do another spotlight. And seeing as how I've been neglecting me thread, I think I'll treat you all by doing a double whammy special. First up, the Death's Head Hawkmoth, because Elderflower asked so nicely for something fluttery.

800px-Acherontia_lachesis.jpg

There are three species of Death’s Head Hawkmoth, or DHH as I will abbreviate it, but the most well known of them is Acherontia atropos. Two of the species can be found in various regions of the far east while the better studied one can be found in Africa and parts of Europe. It’s a rather big moth with a wing span of 3 to 5 inches.

In case you haven’t caught on, the DHH get’s it’s name from a pattern that more often then not, resembles a human skull. And with such an eerie birth mark, it probably doesn’t come as a surprise that the DHH has a significant amount of superstitions tied under it’s belt such as bad luck to the house it flies in. There’s also one more thing that may contribute to it’s ill reputation…

Yeah, it squeaks. But to someone who is less educated and more superstitious, it may come off as more of a shriek. It does this as a response to being irritated or disturbed. It’s rather rare when an insect such as moths or butterflies produce sound, but the world of arthropods is nothing short of spectacular. But despite all this and being a possible minor agriculture pest, the DHH is harmless.

One more thing I’d like to touch before moving on is the DHH’s diet. Most insects in the order of Lepidoptera are content with dining on the nectar of flowers. The DHH on the other hand, has more of a sweet tooth. Believe it or not, they make a habit of raiding honey bee hives for honey.

Surely this is madness, right? How can something as frail as a moth infiltrate and steal from a heavily guarded fortress housing an army thousands strong? There are actually a number of things that allow the DHH to make such a venture and live to tell the tale. Firstly, the DHH’s body is thick and covered in a dense pile of short scales that protect against the stinging attacks of the workers. In addition to that, the DHH itself has been recorded to have some sort of resistance to honey bee venom. The DHH also imitates the scent of bees, making it even more elusive once in. It’s also speculated that the moth’s squeaking can double as mediocre form of mimicking the piping sound of the queen, which is a signal to freeze when heard by the workers.

Next, I’d like to introduce you all to an insect that I myself see regularly during the warmer seasons here in Iowa. The Froghopper.

124707-004-9AB10DDE.jpg

Froghoppers can are tiny insects found worldwide that are usually a little less then 1.5 centimeters long. The Froghopper’s first noteworthy trait is it’s jumping prowess. They like to jump from plant to plant and in doing so, can reach a height of up to 70 cm vertically. Relative to body weight, this surpasses the jumping capacity of the flee.

The more interesting thing about Froghoppers, I believe though are the habits of their nymph stage, which are affectionately referred to as Spittlebugs.

Spittlebug4383.JPG

Bugmaster, that’s not a bug. That’s a pile of, what is that? Bubblebath? Let me move that out of the way for you.

2005-jun-16_spittlebug-1.jpg

The spittle bug has a very unique method of housing. First it will pierce the stem of a plant in order to suck at the sap. It then regurgitates it through the anus as the frothy substance you see in the pictures above. It then lives the rest of it’s days inside this bubbly pile known as cuckoo spit, frog spit or snake spit.

Why would anything want to live in a pile of spit? Quiet a few reasons actually. Firstly the froth hides the spittlebug from view of potential predators. The froth itself has bitter taste, further deterring hungry mouths. The spit also does a good job of regulating temperature keeping it’s from getting to cold or too hot. Lastly, the spit den provides much needed moisture. Without it, the young Froghopper would quickly dry up and perish.

• Like 1

Ah, those spittle bugs! I love them so much! I have some bushes out back that they lay their eggs in every year. It looks amazing :D

It is nice to finally see another spotlight. I've missed you, Bugmaster!

YAY! SPOTLIGHT! Spotlight! WOOO! Wonderful, Bugmaster!

Do not praise the Bugmaster, praise the bugs who love him!

praying-mantis_1886764i.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Oh dear merciful heavens. This thread is spectacular. I'm quite the "bug"-lover myself (and my how do I hate the word bug when use improperly, but I digress it's just simpler.) I've been known to save spiders or other creepy crawlies from my Krogers in town, grabbing some receipt paper, corralling them onto it and walking them outside. It's granted me more than a few odd looks, but oh well.

Keep up the wonderful work, Stonetribe!

Also! Non-sequitur!

when-you-are-sad-just-remember.jpg

A peculiar question for you, Stonetribe. My father did a time-lapse of a piece of candy to watch the ants and like come in to eat it. During the course of the video, several pieces of grass were brought on screen (It was shot on the sidewalk, or pavement or something.) A bit later the grass seemed to be moved with some purpose, laying mostly along the path of the ants, though it could have just been wind and circumstance. Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

I know I've been away for awhile, but Bugmaster Stonetribe is back, and he's brought that promised fictional bug highlight with him. Ladies and gentleman, allow me to introduce to you, Black Arachnia, the Broodmother, hailing from the popular online game, Defense of The Ancients 2 (Or Dota 2, as it's more oftenly called)

Broodmother.jpg?t=1370579157

Firstly, let me tell you all her official in game lore. And by tell, I mean copy pasta.

For centuries, Black Arachnia the Broodmother lurked in the dark lava tubes beneath the smoldering caldera of Mount Pyrotheos, raising millions of spiderlings in safety before sending them to find prey in the wide world above. In a later age, the Vizier of Greed, Ptholopthales, erected his lodestone ziggurat on the slopes of the dead volcano, knowing that any looters who sought his magnetic wealth must survive the spider-haunted passages. After millennia of maternal peace, Black Arachnia found herself beset by a steady trickle of furfeet and cutpurses, bold knights and noble youths--all of them delicious, certainly, and yet tending to create a less than nurturing environment for her innocent offspring. Tiring of the intrusions, she paid a visit to Ptholopthales; and when he proved unwilling to discuss a compromise, she wrapped the Vizier in silk and set him aside to be the centerpiece of a special birthday feast. Unfortunately, the absence of the Magnetic Ziggurat's master merely emboldened a new generation of intruders. When one of her newborns was trodden underfoot by a clumsy adventurer, she reached the end of her silken rope. Broodmother headed for the surface, declaring her intent to rid the world of each and every possible invader, down to the last Hero if necessary, until she could ensure her nursery might once more be a safe and wholesome environment for her precious spiderspawn.

So let's see... Where do I start? I suppose an optimal place would be that she is a giant, talking spider that I can play as in a video game. Being the bug lover and avid video gamer I am, this is like purchasing some chicken nuggets at the drive through, pulling out exact change from my pocket, and finding out as I enjoy them that there was an additional nugget then meant to be. If you try to think of as many video games that let you be any sort of arthropod, I bet you won't even make it up to five.

Enough about me nerding on about bugs in video games though, and more of me, well, nerding on about a specific bug in a certain video game. As a character I find, Black Arachnia, or Broodmother as she is more often referred to, very interesting and even a bit sympathetic. Firstly, she's at least a thousand years old. So that puts her on a Princess Celestia tier of life expectancy and everything else that comes with it. I'd bet anyone with that kind of longevity would have seen plenty in their time and no doubt become moderately experienced in a number of things. The thing Broodmother must be experienced the most with though, must be, well, being a mother! A single mother at that. Granted, being a spider mother compared to being a human one probably has quite a few differences, but definitely difficult nonetheless. She's a strong, independent woman female spider who don't need no man male spider.

Apparently though, some wizard (Dota 2 is placed in a fantasy setting, in case you didn't know) decided to build his "lodestone ziggurat" whatever the heck that is, specifically right next to Broodmother's home, thinking that he can use her many children as a means of scaring off whoever wants his "lodestone ziggurat". Broodmother however, isn't entirely happy with this, as I'm sure any good mother wouldn't want complete strangers brandishing large sharp pieces of metal and staffs that shoot fire balls near their children either. So she pays him a visit and tries to level with him, work something out, you know? Turns out he's a mean, stubborn old geezer though. He must of said some pretty nasty things to Brood for her outright turn him into the spider equivalent of a birthday cake. Problem solved, right? Apparently not, as his absence only encourages even more people to barge into her home. She must of been pretty fed up at this point, and when one of her young is actually stepped on by some moron who thinks he's a valiant knight, she Broodmother decided it was time to take things into her own pedipalps. (That's the spider equivalent of hands by the way)

She also has another bit of lore, this time in the form of a cosmetic set of items for her to wear. (The items don't effect gameplay, their for apparel purpose only)

Many are the knights and noble youths who have intruded on the hunting grounds of the Broodmother, disturbing her peace with the clatter of armor, their boots setting atwitch her silken web. The intruders are like succulent shelled insects upon whose innards she's gorged, all the while growing curious of the adornments that drape their bodies, until that day when a blacksmith found his way into her web. Armor he promised her, the finest in the land, if only she would set him free. And so a deal was struck, and the blacksmith measured, and toiled, taking as his materials the finest steel to be found among the husked corpses of silk-wrapped knights. When the new armor was finished, the spider kept her promise and set the blacksmith free. Then she watched her brood devour him.

Hmmm. Well okay, maybe Broodmother's morals are a little darker then I might make them out to be. But in her defense, her experience with other humans isn't exactly one that she should be trusting of them. Also, imagine this. You take your children to the park, and their you find someone handing out 100% legit free ice cream and candy, and you tell your kids that they can't have any, without being able to give them any reason whatsoever. Yeah...

Which brings her to the field of combat as we see her in Dota 2. She's hands down my favorite hero to play as. Compared to the rest of the cast, (A total of 101 playable characters, and growing) She's actually considered not as good or viable. But that just makes me want to use her even more. And it's not just because she's a spider and I love all bugs, really. Her play style literally makes me feel like I'm a giant spider! Now this might not entirely make sense, but I'm going to list her abilities and how they're used. I think you guys will get the picture.

Her first skill is called "Spawn Spiderlings" and basically what is does is that she shoots this glob of green stuff at an enemy, and if it kills said enemy or they die shortly there after, they will leave little spider babies in their wake. These "Spiderlings" can be controlled to move and attack other units. Further more, when a enemy unit is killed by or dies shortly after being attacked by a spiderling, they will leave behind a "Spiderite" a slightly weaker version of the spiderling. With this skill, you can quickly amass an army of adorable little spiders to swarm anything that stands in your way!

Her second skill is called "Spin Web" and it's the main thing that makes me feel like I'm literally a spider. If you think she goes all spiderman and binds the bad guys with silk that shoots out like silly string on steroids, your mistaken. No, rather she spins a web on the ground in a moderately large area. Whenever Broodmother, or her children for that matter, stand in this web, they get three bonuses. Firstly, they become invisible from enemy sight. Secondly, they receive a speed boost. And lastly, they are granted with bonus health regeneration. Again, it's mainly because of this skill that I feel like a spider. You wait in your web for enemies to pass by and then ambush them in an area that gives you an advantage!

The third skill "Incapacitating Bite" isn't as flashy as the first two, but it still adds to the overall spider feel. It's passive, meaning it's always in effect. What it does is that whenever she strikes an enemy, their movement speed is slowed and their accuracy is reduced, making them miss their own attacks. This is like the venom spiders use on insects once they are stuck in their web before they start to wrap them up.

Finally, her fourth and ultimate "A dota 2 heroes most powerful skill" is called "Insatiable Hunger". When she activates it, she gains bonus attack damage and lifesteal for a short duration. "Lifesteal" means that when she attacks someone, some of the damage dealt is returned to her as health. It's perfect for when you catch an enemy hero all alone, as any damage they deal to you is almost entirely negated as she chows down on them.

And there we have it. This is a lot different then my usual highlights, if you even consider this as one. As always, I appreciate your thoughts and feedback as it's part of what drives me to run this thread!

• Like 1

The Broodmother reminds me of a character from League of Legends: Elise the Spider Queen. She's one of the few champions whom utilizes various forms with differing play styles. The first is a buxom young woman (albeit with some creepy spider-limbs sprouting from her back). In this form, she plays very much like a ranged magic-user. The first of her the abilities in this form sends out a gout of toxins which harm the target, causing more and more damage if the target has a high amount of health. Her second ability sends out an adorable "little" spider which will chase down her enemies and, either on contact or when its time is up, explode in a blast of arcane energy. Her final ability in human form throws out a mass of tangled webs to snare her opponent. If a target is struck, it remains bound for a second and a half while it breaks itself free.

While in her spider form, Elise differs quite a great deal in play style. Her spiderlings are summoned to her side and she loses the range she once had in her human form, but she becomes quite the killer. Her first ability as a spider is a powerful bite which deals greater damage to enemies who are more injured. Her second ability sends herself and her spider minions into a hungry frenzy, greatly increasing their attack speed and healing Elise as she and her minions attack. Her third arachnid ability lets her quickly ascend a web, disappearing from view (even if you're in the middle of an open field. Sometimes game mechanics are just odd.) and the dropping down on her unsuspecting prey.

While I won't go into her lore too much, I do enjoy the motif of how she (quite literally) preys on men, a common trait of motherly spiders.

As for your challenge to name arthropods in 5 video games, I'm more than willing to take you up on it:

Warcraft 3 - Crypt Lords

DotA2 - Broodmother

League of Legends - Elise, the Spider Queen

Sonic Heroes - Charmy the Bee

Alien Spidy - The Alien Spider

Thanks to their unique feel, spiders are not as rare as you may think in the world of video games. What other creature is easily recognizable, is able to climb all over walls, set traps, and use virulent venoms? Sometimes a game developer uses a spider to give a game that feel they were looking for.

I'm not too familiar with League of Legends, but I have heard of her as Broodmother's counterpart, so to speak.

Also, did you come up with those 5 off the top of your head? Or did you cheat and use a search engine? Further more, listing Broodmother herself after me doing a whole post on her seems kinda shifty... ;)

Those are all games I am familiar with to some degree. Though I will admit I did use a search engine to help my poor, absented-minded memory.

I am certain given enough time and thought during a period of mental coherency, I could definitely come up with yet another game to take the place of DotA2. I want to say one of the Neverwinter Nights would allow you to play as a spider at some point, what with having druids and animal companions. However, it could just be limited to more mundane creatures like wolves and bears.