Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

Oh I am so glad you ask. As I mentioned earlier, fishing spiders can walk across the surface of the water. Their able to do this thanks to the special hairs on their legs and bodys that help trap air bubbles ultimately allowing them to manipulate water tension, in addition to keeping the dry. They can even dive under the waters surface for a short while. When hunting, they will keep their hind legs anchored to the shore on something solid like a rock or a plant, with their front legs resting atop the waters surface feeling for the vibrations of potential prey. When they do find something, they'll dash towards it with uncanny speed and proceed to pounce and engulf it with their entire bodys. They can catch and eat anything from small insects that have fallen onto the waters surface to much bigger meals such as tadpoles, fish, and even frogs. I think I know a video detailing this pretty well, hold on.

However I should say that my particular breed of fishing spider is much more terrestrial and does most of her hunting on land.

That being said, the forums local arthropod overlord shall be retiring to bed now. Any attempts to disturb my slumber shall be delt with by my desert centipede guards. They may or may not be of giant car sized proportions, so yeah... Don't try them. Good night everypony.

I'm totally the opposite! I have a soft spot for moths and I'll go out of my way to save one from harm. Spiders however...ugh. (Except SaucySpider.)

There's actually a spider that set up camp in my living room. I've left it alone and named it Saucy. Just sayin'!

Rosey! I WUB WUB WUB you so much! <3

Fillys and gentlecolts, please give a warm welcome to the Rhinoceros Beetle.

e108184b.jpg

The Rhino Beetle is found in tropical rainforests in Central and South America, but can live as far north as Mexico as well as on some Caribbean islands. They are among the largest beetles in the world, often growing more than six inches in length. They are herbavores, eating necter, tree sap, and various fruits. Their most distinguishing feature is the massive horns donned atop their heads. Some species have only one horn while others may have two or even a lower third horn parralell to the upper ones, like this.

5657130532_07221d66b5.jpg

Now, despite their fearsome appearence, they are completely harmless to other creatures, much less hummans. Infact, even though their horn is unable to sting or harm in any way, it's collosial size is often enough to scare away potenial predators. Rhinoceros Beetles mostly use their horn to dual with others for feeding areas or mating rights. Only male Beetles will compete with each other as females horns are much less significant. When competing, two Rhinoceros Beetles will use their horns to try and flip one another onto his back. Whoever accomplishes this first is the victor.

Here's the cool part. Rhinoceros Beetles are the strongest animal on this earth! Now your probably thinking, "hold on a second bugmaster stonetribe, didn't you just say that these guys were harmless? Besides, I'm pretty sure my cat could bench press more than this thing." Now both of these statments are true but what you probably don't know is that strength is measured by how many times a creature can lift times its own weight. Rhinoceros Beetles have been recorded to lift up to 850 times its own girth. That would be the equivilent of an averege sized humman being able to lift and toss a 65 ton tank! Take a moment to put that into perspective. Even something as burly as an elephant is only able to carry 25% of its own weight.

• Like 1

Those beetles are fascinating critters! Thank you for the latest spotlight, Bugmaster Stoney!

May I request you do fireflies next? Thank you!

(I know they're not true flies, but beetles. Oh yeah, look at that! Rosie is smart with her bug knowledge!)

Those beetles are fascinating critters! Thank you for the latest spotlight, Bugmaster Stoney!

May I request you do fireflies next? Thank you!

(I know they're not true flies, but beetles. Oh yeah, look at that! Rosie is smart with her bug knowledge!)

Sure thing.

Fixed the image showing an example of a 3 horned rhinoceros beetle. Also, Fireflies.

firefly.jpg

Also commonly known as the Lighting Bug, the Firefly isn't a fly at all, but rather a beetle. Fireflies can be found in any non-artic region of the world, but prefer hummid and moisture abundent habbitats. Most firefly adults are assumed to feed on plant pollen and necter, or eat nothing at all considering their short life spans. A few species of fireflies are carnivorous and exclusivly eat other species of firefly by attracting them through immating the flashing pattern of a willing mating partner. Firefly larva on the other hand are usually carnivorous and eat small mollusks.

The most distinguishing feature of the firefly is its ability to great a variety of glows and flashs. This is known as bioluminescence and they can do this thanks to a substance located in their abdomen callled Luciferin. In a nut shell, Luciferin is a heat resistent substance that will light up when exposed to oxygen. All the firefly need do is take in air, and direct it into the proper organs. As if this isn't interesting enough, Firefly produced light is the most efficient light in the world. This is because 100% of energy emited is light. A light bulb in comparison, emits 10% of energy as light and the rest as heat. The main reason Fireflies flash around in the first place is to locate a proper suiter for courtship. It also serves as a warning to potential predators that they are distasteful and in some cases, poisenous to a degree

Also this, because I'm a sucker for these kind of songs :)

Hope you like this bug highlight Rosewind!

• Like 2

I loved the firefly highlight, Bugmaster! I had no idea that firefly light is the most efficient in the world. I'm kind of curious why bioluminescent chemicals aren't being studied more, as light created by an efficient oxygen catalytic reaction seems like it would have a lot of potential for green industry.

I loved the firefly highlight, Bugmaster! I had no idea that firefly light is the most efficient in the world. I'm kind of curious why bioluminescent chemicals aren't being studied more, as light created by an efficient oxygen catalytic reaction seems like it would have a lot of potential for green industry.

On the contrary, luciferin and luciferase (another chemical important in firefly light production) have and are being researched as they present multiple medical and scientific uses.

Can both of those chemicals be produced without the mass genocide of fireflies?

I think they have Rosie but am not sure. I'll look into it. I know science is still struggling with spider silk though.

Can both of those chemicals be produced without the mass genocide of fireflies?

luciferase and luciferin (luciferin is found in luciferase by the way, I prolly should of mentioned that earlier) can be made through the use of genetic engineering for any number of scientific and medical applications, so you can ease your concerns.

luciferase and luciferin (luciferin is found in luciferase by the way, I prolly should of mentioned that earlier) can be made through the use of genetic engineering for any number of scientific and medical applications, so you can ease your concerns.

That is what I thought. They probably use yeast or E.Coli spliced with the genes responsible for the production of luciferase and luciferin to make a high yield production, similar to how we make insulin. I'll see if I can't find an article on the biosynthesis of luciferin and luciferase.

I think I'll try and find my article on Spider silk. Interesting stuff that is. As simple as we think it would be to synthesize spider silk, science is still a ways from doing it.

Edit: Found spider silk. Now for anyone that fears intense science writing, steer clear. For those of you interested, its a fantastic review article. http://port.duke-nus...line_nature.pdf If stonetribe hasn't read that yet, he may find it enlightening.

Edit 2: Here's an article on the synthesis of luciferin derivatives for bio-medical use.

http://edoc.hu-berli...987.25.1.23.pdf

There are others but they are locked down :-( Again I apologize for the extremely technical articles. They ARE interesting though!

That's very technical... So they can make it, but it takes a lot of molecular splicing and enzymatic tinkering. Got it! I wonder if this chemical can have any use in baking. Think about it...glowing cupcakes! :mad:

Thank you to our two resident mad scientists!

Aww man, you guys have no idea how much I'm going to enjoy this one.

It is your buggy of choice (in your avatar). I expect nothing less than to have my mind blown and my knowledge of said critter expanded!

I'm going to talk to Weesh -- maybe we can get a bug spotlight into Summer of Pony. It would be SO awesome! :kissy:

Introducing the forums local arthropod overlords (that's me) favorite insect of all time the Praying Mantis!

praying-mantis_670_600x450.jpg

The Praying Mantis can be found world wide in any temperate or tropical habitat. Its name is derived from the stance of its two forearms, which appear as if it were in prayer. It is sometimes mistakenly spelled Preying with an "e" because they are efficient hunters. Praying Mantis's sport large compound eyes and with it, superior vision, being able to see up to 50 feet away. That's not much too us but most insects are lucky if they can see a mere five or ten feet from where they stand. The only problem with the Mantis's eyes are that since they are so close together, they may offer problems with depth perception. To compensate for this, the Mantis will sway from side to side in order to measure whatever it's looking at, to the background behind it. If you look at a Mantis closely and see it rocking back and forth, be ready, as it may about to jump on your face. Praying Mantises also own a pair of wings that function not unlike many other insects. Though it varies from species to species, most Mantis's ability of flight are mediocre at best due to their unusual body shape.

However, the Praying Mantis's most distinguishing and eye catching feature are their elongated spine ridden forearms. Praying Mantises are strictly carnivorous and as mentioned above predators, and unnervingly deadly ones at that. First off, almost all species of Mantis boost excellent camouflage suited to their environment. Mantises that live close to the ground are usually a brownish color to blend in with the dirt and fallen leaves. Mantises that live on plants or trees will have an expected shade of green. A tree dwelling mantis may even further this disguise by swaying back and forth in time as to mimic the leaves around it blowing in the wind. (What do ya know, I suppose they have two reasons for swaying back in forth) Their are even Mantises that are adapted to hunting on flowers that can sport elegant spots or bright shades of a color, like this.

2942695494_5ab126c7d6_z.jpg?zz=1

These various forms of camouflage are a great aid in their hunting in addition to staying undetected by other, bigger predators. It's only a matter of time until a suitable meal comes in range of the mantis. Once the time to strike arises, they lash out to grab its prey with their two forearms with lightning speed (1/20th the speed of a blink of an eye to be exact) each of which has hundreds of spines attached to impale the victim. Once in the grip of a Praying Mantis, there is little one can do but hope that by some miracle the Mantis may lose its grip. Mantises are patient when hunting, but not when eating as they began to chow down as soon as they hold their catch in their forearms, almost always as the prey is still alive. Their table manors aren't all bad though, as they will carefully groom each forearm when finished, most likely to keep chunks of food from impairing their grip on its next victim. When snack time is done, they retreat back to the same spot or find another and begin the process all over again.

The Praying Mantises hunting methods are so effective, that an entire form of martial arts has been invented and stylized after them, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0wRqR9J8WA

Now I'm sure all of you have heard the mantises methods of "coupling" and the certain consequences it has for the male Mantis. To my knowledge, the female will attempt to devour the male if she hasn't recently eaten. However this is a tad exaggerated at times and more often than not, the male will walk away head and all. In fact Mantis courtship has sometimes been observed to involve a number of dances and rituals that would rival other animals known for their romantic mating methods.

Even through their fierce predatory skills and sometimes fatal relationships, Praying Mantises make surprisingly superb pets! Pet stores don't usually stock them so most Mantis pets are found outside. They may shy away from their owners or try to fake you out with their forearms as they (and almost every other animal with any sort of survival instinct) know that big things eat little things. They get used to humans as well as living in captivity fast though. After awhile, they are able to recognize their owners face. They can even be trained to eat pieces of meat off of tweezers. They don't need much space, enough to be able to move about and hunt. I find that plastic containers like this are perfect.

http://www.referralc...orage box 2.jpg

Just drill multiple air holes in the lid and fill the container about 1/8th of the way with dirt. It's also highly recommended that you put some foliage in their to help the mantis feel a bit more at home and not as vulnerable as he would in just an empty tank. Sadly the only drawback for the mantis as a pet is their relatively short life spans being about three months, so if you do find yourself owning a mantis, try not to get too attached to him.

• Like 2

Bravo! That pink mantis is pretty! Oh wow!

Only a three month lifespan?! I was thinking how neat it would be to keep one as a pet, but that three month lifespan...I know I'd totally get attached to it and have my heart broken. Nature is cruel!

I know some gardening shops sell manti egg sacks to hatch little ones for your garden to eat pests. They look like little grey styrofoam blobs!