Insects and Spiders and the like

Stonetribe

A ways back, I mentioned that I had a pet Dark Brown Fishing spider by the name of Rosey. Well, I regret to inform you all that she has passed away last weekend due to old age. She has proved herself to be a great pet in the year and a half she spent under my care, and I am very grateful to have had her. My only regret is that I have never bothered to take any pictures of her.

RIP Rosey

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about your pet spider. May she find peace up in the big web in the sky (alongside Saucy, probably).

Yay Spotlights! Keep'um coming, Bugmaster!

May rosey and saucy be spinning webs together, capturing many prey in the process together in the big spider atrium in the sky <3

Aww, I'm sorry to hear about your pet spider. May she find peace up in the big web in the sky (alongside Saucy, probably).

Yay Spotlights! Keep'um coming, Bugmaster!

May rosey and saucy be spinning webs together, capturing many prey in the process together in the big spider atrium in the sky <3

Thanks guys. :sad:

This thread is amazing.

I love all animals, insects and arachnids and other creepy crawlies included, and I'm so glad that there are people out there willing to help others understand them.

I shall continue to lurk...

Although...

I would like to see something on maybe a Whiptail Scorpion/Spider or the Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula.

Also, RIP Rosey and Saucy.

May the stars be the dew drops on your webs. <3

This thread is amazing.

I love all animals, insects and arachnids and other creepy crawlies included, and I'm so glad that there are people out there willing to help others understand them.

I shall continue to lurk...

Although...

I would like to see something on maybe a Whiptail Scorpion/Spider or the Mexican Red-Kneed Tarantula.

Also, RIP Rosey and Saucy.

May the stars be the dew drops on your webs. <3

Thanks, I'm glad you think so!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys, here's the deal. I took a glance at Rosey's vacant cage just now, and I noticed that there is a single one of her crickets still alive in there. I'm thinking I might keep the little guy. But what I want to know is if you guys think that the name "Leftovers" is too insensitive of a name or not. Also, I know I'm overdue for a bug highlight. Procrastination keeps a collar and leash around my neck, and will probably be making me learn some tricks soon.

Okay guys, remember back awhile back when I said something about the zoo giving me inspiration? No? Yeah me either. In any case, here's my latest bug highlight, The Japanese Giant Spider Crab!

1190251110-m.jpg

As the name implies, these guys can be found in the coasts of the far east from Tokyo Bay to Kagoshima Prefecture. With that out of the way, Let me tell you the thing about these guys. They are the largest known arthropods on this earth. Exactly how large are we talking? Have a look at this.

tumblr_md88nmh3xl1qm8fzgo1_r2_400.jpg

As you can see,these things are Massive. Sporting a leg span reaching 3.8 meters (12 ft) from claw to claw and a body that can grow to a size of 16 inches, these guys can make some B horror movie giant spiders weep in shame. They also have an impressive lifespan that can chalk up to a hundred years or more. But despite their formidable size, these 10 legged bug giants are actually quite docile. Aside from the occasional small marine invertebrate, the Japanese Spider Crab is a omnivorous scavenger, eating dead and decaying animal and plant matter. This makes them greatly beneficial assets to the surrounding marine, as they keep it clean and orderly for the rest of the surrounding sea life.

• Like 3