The Stage Is Calling, but I’m Not Listening (open to first three people)

osprey77

((ooc: While I’m waiting for the final steps of the approval process, I thought I’d get Thes’s hooves wet here :) . I have RP’ed before on other sites, so, yes; I know what I’m doing. I’m sorry about the limit, but I’ve found that the larger threads tend to stall pretty quickly. Just a note--Heart song will not appear in this quiz. He'll find her much later. Here are some links:

Discussion thread: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/8812-thespians-first-role-play-open-to-first-three-posters/

Thespian’s Bio: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/8666-tespian-thespony-final/))

Thespian Thespony, or ‘Thes’ as he was known to his friends, and, well, just about everybody, was tired. This was unusual—the pale-blue stallion was usually bursting with energy, ready to take on anything—but he’d had a hard week. For months, he’d been in Manehatten, trying to earn a living and find Heart Song. There’d been a few leads, but all that turned up was a nearly-dead-end, with the landlord saying that she might have mentioned Fillydelphia before leaving—but he could be wrong.

So, Thes had started out. He was here, at last, but all the months of searching were wearing him down—and he was at least six months behind her, from what he could tell. Thespian looked up at the sun, still not yet at noon, and shook his black-and-platinum mane. I’ll find her. I have to. I just need to find a place to stay, and a way to earn a bit of cash, then I can start looking.

He saw a poster, advertising a local theater’s auditions, and for a moment, Thes’s tired heart lifted at the thought of acting. But he frowned suddenly, knowing te danger of taking a job that bound him to one place for too long—the trail could go cold. As much as he loved acting, there were somethings worth more.

With that thought, he stumbled to a park, and sat down on a bench, head hanging low.

What do I do now?

Cloud was walking the streets of Fillydelphia, lookin for anything to occupy his thoughts. He turned a corner and saw the theater along with a colt who had a look on his face is was very familiar with. "Excuse me?" Cloud walked up to the colt, "Do you work here, I was thinking about seeing a play."

Thespian looked up at the pegasus standing before him. He tried to muster a smile, but all that came was a half-hearted semi-smirk. "I'm afraid not--I'm new here, myself. Looks like a pretty good company, though, maybe you should ask inside." Thes turned towards the building, and, for a moment, his expression was one of deep longing. He covered quickly, though, turning back to Cloud. Before he could lose his nerve, Thes blurted out his question, "Have you seen an earth pony named Heart Song? She's pink, with a deep purple mane and tail. She'd have arrived about six months ago, and she's a performer—a singer."

Thes knew it was a one in a million chance, especially given how common the color scheme was, but maybe, just maybe, he'd find a lead. "She wouldn't perform in big or famous venues—but small stuff, or maybe she offers voice lessons, or something..." He trailed of miserably, certain this other pony thought he was nuts. But I have to find her!

"I'm sorry," Cloud said sincerely, "but I just arrived in town." Cloud saw the sad look on the colt's face. Cloud sighed, "you look like the type who would be in a play," Cloud smiled, "if you were to act, be a star, then maybe she would find you."

Thes sighed. If it were that simple... "It's all right," he muttered. "It's just--I have to apologize to her. I'm not sure why she left Canterlot, but I think it's something to do with me. At the very least, I want to be sure she's happy." He glanced at the theater again. Gesturing at his cutie mark, the comedy/tragedy masks of theater, he added, "Yeah, I'm an actor all right. Thespian Thespony by name, but you can call me Thes--everypony does. What's your name, friend? Know where I can find some temp work? I may have to stay here awhile during my search."

"Well, the theater is competitive..." on the one hand, Thes was never one to discourage anyone from the stage. On the other hand, he didn't think this pegasus seemed to serious about acting. "It was nice to meet you, Cloud. I hope you find whatever it is you're looking for." That was Thespian's standard farewell. It sounded a bit odd, but it came from his belief that everypony wanted something, even if that something was for things to remain the way they are; somewhere down inside, part of him held the admittedly irrational hope that, if everypony found what they were 'looking for,' then, sooner or later, he would find Heart.

What Thespian didn't realize was that this phrase often caused ponies to look at him strangely, or dismiss him as over dramatic. Thes heaved himself to his hooves, and began walking towards the center of the town, hoping for...something. He didn't even know what to hope for anymore

Wintersong had been looking for some place where she could show off her skills. The last ponies she had rescued from the snow had advised her to start liking society and trying to interact more with other ponies, a thing she actually found too drastic for a mare like her. She liked to live isolated in her snowy cottage, only listening to snow storms and whistling winds hitting against the trees. But her voice and her skills to dance ... Oh those were definitely splendid.

She had a seat in one of the steps of the round fountain that existed right in the center of the town, and sighed to herself.. Where on Equestria would she find a place to show how well she sang and danced?!

Her natural thoughts flowed out of her mind and a gentle song left her lips:

Amazingly, while she sang to herself-at least that's what she thought so- a crowd of ponies started to gather around her, a wide smile on their faces. Not a single one of them seemed to want to interrupt her.

Cloud sighed "I lost what I was looking for a long time ago." He looked at Thes with an intense stare, "don't give up, keep looking." He turned to buy a ticket but was stopped when he heard a voice in the air. Cloud turned around and looked for the origin of the song, he saw a mare who was surrounded by other ponies.

Something in Cloud's voice and stance told Thes that the subject broached was a sensitive one. But a new determination flooded him when he met Cloud's gaze, and the tired feeling began to recede. As Thes turned, nodding to the pegasus, he heard a voice—a song. For a second, his heart rose, but an instant later, he knew the voice was not hers. Nevertheless, it was a good voice. He stood in the crowd, watching, until the song finished, and he called out first.

"Brava! Brava!" Thes may have been standing near the back of the crowd, but he was a trained actor--and that included training in projection--the art of being heard. He stamped his hooves in appreciation, then shouldered his way through the crowds. "Where has a voice like this been hiding? Do you perform locally?" He wasn’t just being polite—fledgling singers tended to flock together, sot his mare might just know Heart Song, or have an idea where emerging performers stayed in town—which would amount to the same thing.

The mare was suddenly caught in surprise, her daydream quickly ending with the sudden sound of a stallion's voice. She had done that several other times, but she had never caught such a crowd gathering around her as she sang in her own mind and expressed it to the outside. Her crystaline blue eyes opened wide and her pale pink coat turned even paler. How could have she attracted so many ponies to her spot of resting? She wasn't that good at singing. After all, her cutie mark was a pair of ballerina shoes, not exactly a music note...

In a swift movement, the pegasus mare jumped to the back of the fountain with a squeal, not really aware that everypony was still staring at her. But since she felt herself hidden from the stallion talking to her, she thought he would lose interest in her. Would he?

Cloud walked up to the crowd, "Well, it looks like she's a bit shy. You know I heard that play over there had a stunning review," He counted out the crowd, "Probably just enough seats for all of you." Once the crowd was gone Cloud walked over to the fountain and next to Thes, "The power of persuasion," Cloud smiled as he turned to the fountain, "Excuse me miss, but that singing was incredible, may I ask who you are?"

The minute the mare shied away from the crowd, Thes caught his breath. It was so much like Heart's reactions, her first year at school: that mix of fear of the crowd and disbelief that she could sing. He walked around the fountain, gently saying, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. If you want us to go away, we will, but if you don't mind, we'd like to talk." Thes nodded at Cloud when the male Pegasus spoke up, but was taken aback momentarily by Rhapsody's arrival. Not that he was upset, just surprised. He glanced at the female pegasus, hoping she wouldn't bolt again. He smiled at her, in an encouraging, friendly way.

• 2 weeks later...

((Forgive me for the delay everypony...))

Listening to some soft voices around her instead of excited loud voices she didn't appreiate at all, the mare gave it a try. With one of her pale wings covering her head for some prevention. The truth was that the snowy mountains were nothing compared to that strange place she had decided to explore for herself. For once, she would be the one probably getting lost, instead of finding cold ponies starving and desperatly calling for her help. Her ears perked up and her crystaline blue eyes opened very wide to stare at the ones that still remained to watch her. All of them had smiles on their faces, and she could feel no evil in their souls so ... why not?

"H-Hello.", she said shyly, blushing heavily, "My name is Wintersong."

Thes gave an actors bow as he said by way of introduction, though speaking gently now, 'I am Thespian Thespony--but you can call me Thes, everypony does. Pray tell, Wintersong, how long have you been in the city?" in the back of his mind, THes was still holding out hope that this pegasus knew Heart Song, but it was seeming more and more unlikely as the time passed.