[Appleloosa] The rusty rivet

synkyd

Geary wiped a bead of sweat off his brow. while his transport was ment to be easly reconstructed into a home, it didn't mean it wasn't work. with a sigh of relief, geary took another look at the town. it had a rustic charm to it, but lacked all the modern conveniences of Break Beak city .Geary thought it would just be a quick stop, just a hole in the road of his journey. however, a town, however rustic it is, still needs working technology, and geary grew to like the townspeople . with one last TWAHK! of his hammer, the sign for his newly formed dwelling was finished.

THE RUSTY RIVET

Repairs, devices, and new doohickeys

just ring the bell for service!

Jim was walking his wagon to Appalossa on his quest to see more of Equestria and saw the shop "The Rusty Rivet" A place that made do hickeys would be a possible source for his excess metal stock and he could work part time soldering welding and brazing things for him.

That is until his Blacksmithing business took over.

Madam Bistro trotted briskly to the new business just opened by the resourceful inventor that had repaired her ceiling fans.

She moved at a pace that would keep her skirt stylishly closed and soon found the ew location.

She stopped beside Jim and looked at the place "Oh my, hard to believe this was a wagon last time i had seen this..."

She looked around to see of Geary was still outside or if he was inside.

If she missed seeing him, she reached up to ring the bell...

metal scrapes and clangs blast from the back of the shop, ringing and shaking. Geary stumbles from the back of the shop, eyes circling around. "ugh.... Oh, hello Madam Bistro! How long have you been standing there?" Geary asks, rubbing his head. his eyes turn to to the brown stallion. ""And hello, mr...... uh, who are you?"

Entering the store are two ponies very familiar to all of Appleoosa, a brown Pegasus mare and a gray furred red maned unicorn with a medical cutie mark.

"So Miss LaMare, I see you came to the opening too!" Doc Holly Day neighed.

"Yes indeed, Doc. I heard about it through the grapevine."

"Don't think they sell grapes here," the mustached unicorn giggled.

"That's funny!" Louise laughed as the two began to look around.

Madam Bistro nickered sweetly to Geary "Oh not long at all. I just got here a minute ago, along with this fine blacksmith here."

She turned and waved as Louise and Doc Holly Day arrived "Good morning you two. Glad to see you both attending the opening."

Bistro turned back to Geary "I am expanding my business into a full hotel, and I was wondering if you could create a cold room I could cool or freeze food items in the basement I will be constructing. -for cheaper than what a unicorn can do with magic-tech. I was also wondering what labour saving devices you can come up with for a kitchen since the number of customers is expected to skyrocket."

in Answer to Geary's question, Double M said Hello, I am Metal Maker and as the pretty mare said, I am a blacksmith and more.

He demonstrated by heating and bending a piece of metal stock on Geaay's counter

I can solder and weld also. Maybe you could use my services in your shop on occassion.

He then turned to the new ponies and said, Sorry, I didin't catch your names folks.

Geary points to his horn "sorry, Mr.maker, my method of building is self dependent." as a demonstration, he lifts two pieces of metal and his horn glows with a reddish brown color. the metal turned red hot, radiating heat. a moment later, two pieces of combined metal lay on the store top. a notepad and quill is then lifted up into the air. "tell me the dimensions of the room, and ill see what i can work up." Geary says, mind already working overtime.

"I'm Louise LaMare and this is our town physician, Doc Holly Day," the brown Pegasus mare said to Metal Maker. "Pleased to meet you, Metal Maker."

"We sure are, sir!" added the red maned unicorn. "We kin always use a new blacksmith in Appleoosa! Lots of hard workin' ponyfolk who needs shoes. I should know, one of the most frequent diagnosis I give to my patients are hoof related injuries."

As the two were going to talk further, both immediately took notice of Geary working with a hot piece of metal. They were amazed at what he was doing, so amazed that they backed up and bumped gently into Madam Bistro.

"Oh my! Sorry Miss Bistro!"

"Pardon me, didn't see ya thar, Madam Bistro!"

Bistro backed up a step after she had been bumped into. "Oh, not a problem you two."

She nodded to Metal Maker "I am Madam Caramel Bistro, owner of the Bed and Breakfast Bistro, soon to be upgraded to an actual hotel. If you need a room or something to eat, I have reasonable rates."

The mare reached into her saddlebag and brought out the current estimates and measurements, opening them up for Geary to read. "My initial need will be a minimum of a space 10' high, 10' wide and 20' long, keeping foodstuffs at a temperature just enough above freezing to stay fresh without damage, or adjust it to below freezing. -The rather expensive sum beside the figures is what the unicorns in Canterlot tell me they need to provide this device magically. I would like to see what options you have for me with mechanical means and if they are cost effective. If there are definite savings, I may ask for a larger one... say, add 5' to the width and length maybe?"

Pleased to meet you fine folk. Geary,If I can;t assist you in construction, do you need a means of getting more raw stock? I have a supply in my wagon, though I plan to use some of it to make horseshoes. Could I interest you fine ladies and you Dr in new Shoes.?

I can make then shiny and even in colors, if the ladies want. Like Geary, I use magic to melt and shape metal and I take precise measurements for each pony..

Is there a vacant blacksmith shop or a barn where I can set up shop? He said ( whew; more words than I usually say at one time)

• 2 weeks later...

Geary tapped his nib pen against his lips, staring thoughtfully up to the ceiling. "well, with those size constraints, i could create a salt distribution system to keep the ice extremely cold. however, the ice would have to be replaced occasionally, but, the cost of..." Geary pauses for a moment, silently whispering to himself. Uh... for installation and construction, 1000 bits, which is 500 bits cheaper than the most standard magic technology. and, it would have a lot of room, too. ill need a while to complete it thought, as the most standardized version requires a lot of-" Gearys cheeks turned a slight red. "i was rambling again, wasnt I?"

Doc Holly Day's ears perked up at Metal Maker's question.

"Right down the street from the Sheriff's office is the ol' Bargain Barn that's been closed for over a month," the red maned unicorn stallion said, "the former owner, Miss Saddle Horn, got married and moved to Baltimare. I think you could git a great deal on the place, and it's got enough space fer a blacksmith shop!"

"Oh yeah, I remember her," Louise LaMare added. "She was nice, but her husband had an established business in Baltimare, so she sold out her inventory and left. I think the Sheriff is serving as the Real Estate broker for her. He'll give you a fair price."

Madam Bistro watched Geary and listened as he trailed off into a train of thought, whispering figures to himself, then back aloud, deep in thought. He suddenly came back to himself and apologized.

Bistro waved a hoof absently "Oh, I dont' mind. I never interrupt the people who are obviously masters of their art when they are thinking. It may spoil the end results. It sounds like your way would be more cost effective. How often would I need to add more ice? A day, a Week? Longer?"

She smiled and pulled a quill from her saddlebag "In any case it looks like I have my answer. Shall we work out an agreement? In any case you have time before the basement is dug out behind my place to think of any special details. My plan so far is to build the basement, and then the hotel addition will be built on top of it."

Her ears suddenly perked up as Metal Maker offered to make shoes for the mares in the room.

Bistro turned to the blacksmith "Oh I would love that, do you have the time today?"

I surely do, Ms Bistro.and I appreciate you offer of a hot meal and a stall to stay in. As for the horseshoes, Anytime is a good time as it only takes me a few minutes to measure and fit a set. Also, Doc, I would sure like to look over that vacant store. My work will involve some banging, however, so I don;t want to disturb the Neighbors. Thanks for the offer. I also appreciate an referrals for hoof ailments as I am a farrier also. Not trying to cut into your work, of course, Doc,

Speaking of horseshoes, would you like them in any particular color Ma 'Am?

This was great. A real shop and some good potential friends. Appalossa looked like a town to settle into for a good spell.

Geary looked like a guy who could make new instruments for him also. He had plenty of bits, so staying at Ms Bistro;s place would be a nice way to meet other potential customers.

• 3 weeks later...

"For a ice room of that size, once a month should be the minimum time between refills to keep it running as efficiently as possible .I'd also suggest adding more salt every year, just to be safe." Geary answered, chucking at the last line, reminiscing of one incident from his youth. Geary turns to metal maker. "I'm definitely going to need a lot of metal for the ice room, and any other projects i do, Mr.Metal. any thing you need in particular, as a means of trade?"

• 3 weeks later...

(ooc): Oops! Didn't realize it was my turn here. Sorry about that, folks.

Doc Holly Day smiled at Metal Maker's reply.

"Don't worry none bout noise, friend. The Bargain Barn was built with some noise isolation in it's walls cause Miss Saddle Horn also catered parties on the premises. Believe me, some of them thar Birthday parties for foals got PLENTY nosy! If'n ya like, I'll send word to Sheriff Silverstar to set ya up with a meetin' about that property. And I appreciate you'd like referals for hoof ailments! Sometimes I git a bit overwhelmed with cases and I certainty do need the help!"

"And I'm staying at Madam Bistro's place," added Louise LaMare, "I would highly recommend it!"

"Geary, I wonder if you could custom form medical tools for me. I have some basic plans for a new scalpel and other surgecial equipment over at my office. Perhaps sometime when you are free, could I have ya take a look at them and see if they're feasible to create?"

"And Metal Maker, I would also love to have some new horseshoes. I do love my boots but it would be nice to have some new shoes for formal occasions."

Madam Caramel Bistro smiled brightly and clopped her hooftips together "Wonderful! I shall write up the agreement immediately, Mr. Geary! While you take care of your other customers, I shall celebrate and have Double M here do my shoes."

She looked to MM "Colors? Umm, can you do a set in burgundy, one set in black, and one in gold? Will the coloring really be in the metal itself? I have tried gold plated shoes and they look tacky when the plating wears off, and actual gold is too soft to do well as hoofwear."

The mocha mare got out a quill and scroll as she thought out the wording of the agreement, planning on writing it out while her hooves were worked on.