Pony hair styling

RCTwilightSparkle

Oooh. Dash looks so much better now that her hair has been flattened. :D

Thanks, I think giving her the side mane was helpful to make her look better too. All the old styled Dashies I saw had all the hair up on the top of her head which looked cool but wasn't very show accurate. It was all poofy in that 2nd picture because I had just taken all the ponies on a plane ride and Dashie didn't do so well :D

Here she is with her old haircut but flattened down

190131_10150456512455788_703185787_17915222_3220539_n.jpg

How do you get her hair flattened down? :)

very hot water and tiny rubber bands, I'd tie the hair down how I wanted it and run it under the hottest water my sink makes, smoosh any hairs down that weren't staying, possibly put a second rubber band on if it's being super uncooperative.

198990_10150455906980788_703185787_17907360_1143325_n.jpg

197317_10150457001250788_703185787_17923711_7068765_n.jpg

ok unfortunately this is the only picture of Fluttershy I have while I was doing her hair... it's hard to tell exactly but I taped 3 straws together to make her curlers (4 for rarity) and used a single straw up at the top of her mane (in both places, on down her neck and on the top of her head) to give it some volume. I wrapped the 3 straw curlers around the bottom 1/3 of her hair and secured it with a bunch of hair pins. her tail I also used a 3 straw curler and wrapped her entire tail and secured it with hair pins. Once it was dry I cut about an inch off of her tail and trimmed her mane.

That photo is horrifying.

Indeed, all those rubber bands blinding them makes it look a bit twisted. But i tried this on Rainbow Dash and despite looking at her all bound up for a few minutes it did the job. A bit hesitant to cut her hair until I have enough for a second Dash in case this one encounters some god-awful accident i can't even begin to imagine without getting nightmares.

i did that and it helped a little but didn't get rid of frizz.

The best tip regarding pony hair you will get all day (from an ex-customizer and restorer):

The secret for ANYTHING with Nylon hair is

1) Wash the silicone out of it (know how it is the teeniest bit oily when you get them? this is why)

2) Condition in super hot water, and leave the conditioner in for like an hour (if it's really bad use scent-free fabric softener and leave in for days). Comb the crap out of it.

3) rinse the conditioner out, and put the hair where you want it and run very hot water over it. Comb it while you are rinsing. (you can probably safely use boiling, but I'll try it before really suggesting it) do not dry. Do not squeeze out the excess water. Let her hair drip.

- 3 A) for straight styles: put the hair where you want it, sopping wet.

- 3 B) For Medium curls: rap the hair around the neck and one of the legs while sopping wet.

- 3 C) for super curls, straw curls: Put the curls in, and rewet the hair until it is dripping.

4) transfer your pony somewhere where she will not be disturbed for a few days. It's important not to brush the hair while it is drying. Once she is dry her hair will be pretty perfect! Even the crappiest looking ponies that have lived in toy boxes for decades will benefit from this! If only I wasn't to lazy to do this to all of my ponies :P

Finially finished mine. Rarity's hair got curled the wrong way. And there is no way I am patient enough to follow my own advice above the day after I get a bunch of ponies. :)

5646817330_8ee1b71718.jpg

Also, spot the bad pun.

Comment: Silicone can be shampoo resistant. I don't know Pony hair, but with human hair, to really get shampoo out you need a clarifying shampoo. A lot of shampoos and conditioners HAVE silicone in them (Look for things on the label that end it "-one." Dimethicone is particularly common), are these products bad for pony hair?

It sounds a lot like taking care of pony hair is like taking care of my hair. I keep tight (natural) curls. I start by washing it out, conditioning, rinsing, using leave-in (and sometimes light gel), and NOT TOUCHING IT UNTIL IT DRIES. Maybe pony hair just works like human curly hair?

Comment: Silicone can be shampoo resistant. I don't know Pony hair, but with human hair, to really get shampoo out you need a clarifying shampoo. A lot of shampoos and conditioners HAVE silicone in them (Look for things on the label that end it "-one." Dimethicone is particularly common), are these products bad for pony hair?

Simple solution: Vinegar ^_^

Simple solution: Vinegar :)

Oh, well there you go. I don't know that I'd use it in my hair though.

Simple solution: Vinegar :)

Oh, well there you go. I don't know that I'd use it in my hair though.

On, no, it's totally safe to use on human hair. It's actually what people used to use pre-clarifying shampoos. It reeks, but works really well to pull everything out of your hair that's not hair. Here's a good recipe. If you have curly hair you can take it one step further and also use diluted honey afterwards. My mom has super super curly hair, but I didn't know until she started doing this (for like 20 years, even). And her hair generally looks great now (before it was totally Roseanne Rosannadanna).

Here's a good recipe (that is also safe for ponies, and the environment)

http://www.lifelessplastic.blogspot.com/2008/01/vinegar-rinse-is-awesome.html

Sorry for the derail. Rarity would be proud of me :)

• 2 months later...
Nice taste in films, RCTwilightSparkle :D Tangled + ponies= :heart:

But, seriously, awesome Pinkamena! You should give her some creepy eyes.

haha thanks :D

I'm actually working on another pinkamina who is an adult, so she'll have longer straight hair, a cutie mark... and creepy eyes

• 2 weeks later...