Poetry Subjects: Might YOU have what it takes to be a stand-in Muse?

ThatWhichIs

Hello there! You! Yes you, sitting at the computer! I've got a request for you!

I consider myself a poet (not an amazing one by any stretch, but I have been published a few times before), and yet I often find myself lacking in subject matter for my poems! So I'm asking you to help with that! Basically, I'm interested in all of the strange, crazy, and not-often-seen ideas for subjects of poems that you can come up with. I love writing poetry about strange things, such as the personification of madness, or computer code, or even universal constants (such as gravity).

However, I do request that any ideas submitted be inherently safe for all ages.

If I use an idea of yours, I'll be sure to let you know! And when I've finished a poem based off of one of these ideas (or at least gotten through several revisions of it) I'll post it here for you all to see!

I look forwards to seeing some off-the-wall ideas!

Much appreciated!

Note: The idea can (obviously) be about something pony related. I have yet to try my hand (or is it hoof?) at writing anything specifically about ponies, so it'd be an interesting challenge.

Another poet ! How have you been published, if I can slightly derail the thread for a second ? :D

And for a poem idea ... write me something about the tumblr multiverse !

Also, can I see what you have written ?

Hmm... should have reserved the second post to put up the poems on... but that'll be this post! To answer your question, Ancre, I've been published in a few literary magazines... I can't remember which ones. It was very, very long ago. As in, back in high school. Memory, why must you suck so much? And as for my other poems... *Ponders* Sure, I'll post a few of them. Will probably make another thread for them, so things don't get confusing.

Poems will go below!

perhaps if you are into personification then maybe personify the course of human history, its rises and falls its birth and eventual death. Maybe an ode to the lost connection between people and nature and how we used to be a part of it but have shunned it and separated ourselves from the environment we were born in. I know it isnt your style but this just came to mind as I was typing this, a ballad about a dragon atop a mountain lonely but full of pride, she has no mate and turns away all male dragons who court her. There is however a man that slowly befriends her and they grow attached to one another. He climbs her mountain every week to see her and send the night and share in her company and even though they cannot communicate there is an understanding of companionship. She likes how he has to work hard to climb the mountain to reach her showing that she is a prize worth suffering for. however trekking up the mountain all the time ages the man faster and one day as he is climbing, in his age and fatigue, simply dies in his efforts. the Dragoness is dismayed when her companion does not come at his usual day and goes looking for him. When she finds him dead on her mountain pass she goes mad with self pity and guilt tearing down the mountain of her pride and toppling it upon herself to be forever entombed inside.

Holy mother of all Equestria did I just come up with all that off the top O my head??? O_O...cooool

• Like 1

So, this is a semi-rough-draft. It's gone through a few revisions, but I still don't think it's really complete yet.

Lady History - Idea thanks to CrescentBlaze

A loud cry

wailing in the dawn,

small, tender hand reaching

pulls herself into the light,

Child kneeling on the rocky shore, the

twig in their hand

scrapes and drags

through wet sand, forming

pictures, symbols

They rise

and the world rises with them

giants of stone brick, shouldering aside

the raw sand and dirt

forming graceful larches

grand halls

sweeping colonnades

A great wind

howling like a thousand

caged demons

blasts those halls, those

pillars of enforced might

Sends them crashing down

Sends the girl running, mindless

into caves, to huddle

venturing outside only briefly,

only for the smallest amount

fearing retribution

from above

She carves

into those damp walls

carving mockeries

of the palace that once was

the palace from dreams, and memory

Digging deeper

always deeper

cavern floor stained red

by the sharp rocks

And deep within, enclosed

by long-dead stone,

the growing child rediscovers wonder

rediscovers faith

in the gleaming metal she finds

the black, bubbling liquid

covering herself, helps her

to ignore the pain from digging

as she slowly, meticulously

bends the metal to her will

Silence had descended upon the surface

rain drips into the roughly carved, red floor

from deep within comes a scratch

and another, and another

and the girl, now

a young woman, returns

metal clinging to her

sealing old wounds and causing new

as she hauls machine

after machine

out from the depths,

burning gaze fixed upon the sky

Upon the stars she claims as her own.

ooooohoohoo I LIKE IT! Scratch that I love it! The ending was by far my favorite part. The idea of mankind mending itself with machinery was wonderful and how she steps out of the cave with an ambition to take what she believes is hers really just resonates so well! BRAVO!

It's pretty short actually... well sorta, you'll see. It IS a little ideologically sensitive... but it goes to very little detail.

If it upsets or offends anyone I can remove it.

Confined

A dull ringing about her head alerted the child; she was not dead.

She rose then fell, bound to her bed. Her restraints leather, the sheets were red.

Struggling in the dark unable to breath; immobile beneath her cotton prisons weave.

Promises and freedom fabricated to deceive. Respite from suffering? There is no leave.

No cries for help without a voice. Alone in darkness a life without choice.

The agony began, penetrating and vile. Crimson flowing and screams most wild.

Cold eyes were watching, though none could be seen. Overseeing the necessary acts of unclean.

The ritual stretched for hours… days… perhaps even weeks.

Nothing would be done for the cries of the tortured, the wretched, the meek.

The ritual over, her mind broken by strife… Mercy would take her pitiful life.

The lights turn on blinding her with dread. Cold, dirty hands grip and turn her head.

"Administering amnesiac" the heartless one claimed. For all of her woes, she herself was to blame.

The bite of the needle (no more than a prick). Her mind became fuzzy, murky, and thick….

A dull ringing about her head alerted the child; she was not dead…