Out For Lunch (Phil)

IceStorm

"You're too kind, darling," Rarity said, smiling at the compliment. "But what might you like to know about me? I'd be delighted to tell you anything you'd want to know."

Rarity didn't mind talking about herself, but she wanted to avoid overwhelming the conversation. It was better to keep things directed and flowing naturally. She smiled and then turned to the waitress as Ice ordered. When she finished, she gave a nod.

"That actually sounds quite lovely. I would like a salad as well," she said.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Bleh, sorry, not my best post)

Ice paused for a moment when Rarity asked her what she wanted to know about her. She'd never really thought about it, but then again it would be rude of her to ask abut anything in particular. Rarity was a friend yes, but this was supposed to be making their friendship stronger and she was already partially fearing their talk later might have severe negative impacts on it as it was. "Honestly, whatever you feel comfortable sharing honestly. I don't really think it would be right to randomly ask about things and happen to accidentally come across something that's more personal than you'd like to share," she said with an honest smile. She valued her friends very highly and that also meant that she also valued their privacy and that there were some things that just weren't meant to be known. She sat there and listened as Rarity got the salad as well, and waited patiently for her answer.

"Hmm..." Rarity started, not sure what to say. "Well, I'm not one for excessive secrets, darling. I can't imagine much I wouldn't be willing to answer."

She looked up to think harder, looking for a place to start. That was the hardest part really. After a few moments, she nodded. "But I wouldn't mind to go over some of the basics." she said, smiling. "I've lived in Ponyville all my life. I've had Carousel Boutique running for a number of years now. I have a younger sister. I was somewhat late to get my cutie mark. I have five close friends who are very dear to me. I'm still single, regrettably. And... well, I'm not really sure what else to say."

Ice nodded as she listened to Rarity speak. She told her that she had been running Carousel Boutique for a number of years at this point. Ice smiled because she definitely knew why. It would be hard for a fashion designer of her quality to even be minusculy unsuccessful, let alone not insanely popular. she added that she'd lived here in Ponyville her entire life, and that she had a little sister, and that she was somewhat late getting my Cutie Mark. She also stated that she had five close friends that were very dear to her, and that she was regrettable still single. the last comment puzzled her. How could a mare this amazing still be single? It wasn't her business to pry though, but she did find it odd. Then again it clicked. It probably wasn't so much that she was single because nopony wanted to be with her. She was most likely single because of the fact that since she's so beautiful and popular, all the stallions want to be with her but for all the wrong reasons. That had to be it. "Well, hopefully your special somepony comes for you soon. I currently have my eye set on a pegasi that strolls through here ever now and then," she said with a smile. "As far as when I got my Cutie mark, I got it after getting stuck in a snow storm, I'll... go into more details as to why I was stuck in it later, but it was then I found out my control over ice and snow."

"I will say though, not all of the time I spent in Canterlot was horrible. When I was going to the school of magic there, I was able to get along decently with some of the other fillies. It was most of the Adults that scorned me, and even more so once I opened my 'Carnival shop' as the nobles called it," she said with a slight snort, "But now I'm here, and it's much more obvious that Ponyville is a better demographic for my sweets that Canterlot ever could have been. I never had the business in Canterlot to actually run out of supplies before," she said with a giggle.

Rarity gave a laugh at the other pony's comments. "It would be nice to find somepony, but to be honest, I'm in no real hurry. Last time I got my romantic hopes up it ended most unpleasantly, and besides, my friends and the boutique keep me more than content enough." She smiled as she turned things back on Ice. "A pegasus though? Anypony I might know?"

She nodded at the comments on Ice's cutie mark story. "How interesting. I got mine while designing costumes for a school play. My failure and frustration caused my magic to go haywire, which lead to me discovering my ability to unearth gems," she explained with a nod.

She smiled at the rest of the words the pony said. "Yes. Ponyville does seem far more suitable for your business. Not to mention it's just a kinder town in general. That's not to say Canterlot isn't lovely of course."

"Well I don't know. He passes through on occasion, and ironically enough he was the first pony I met here in Ponyville, before any of the natives ironically enough. His name is Dunder. The only time that I know of that you would have met him was a that party a couple months ago," she answered as Rarity explained how she got her cutie mark and that her special talent was unearthing gems. "Oh wow, that goes right along with your boutique so well!!" she cheered softly.

She also listened as Rarity spoke about how her the last time she had gotten her romantic hopes up that it had ended horribly. Ice frowned a small bit, but her smile quickly returned when she said that her friends and her boutique were more than enough to keep her content. Ice nodded, "I can relate to that. Like I said, if it wasn't for friends I wouldn't have anypony. I have noticed that everypony is a lot nicer here though, and it does make me glad that I relocated here. Coming here has made everything else that's happened to me more than worth it," she stated very honestly. Being here in Ponyville was the best thing that's happened to her to date in her opinion, and she would never change that now.

"Oh! I see, I see! I believe he was at your shop as well for the grand opening. I didn't talk with him much either time, but I do kind of see it... He really is a handsome sort. Cool and debonair; actually carrying a sword at his side. How disarmingly quaint." Rarity giggled. "I wish you luck, darling. I do hope you're able to work your way into his heart!"

Rarity nodded at the comments about her talent. "Yes! Most designers have to make use of some kind of supplier if they want to use gems. I can find them all on my own. It really does come in handy."

She just smiled at the rest of what the pony said and gave a fond nod. "I'm glad you're happy, dear. I hope that Ponyville continues to treat you well."

Ice could just smile and nod as Rarity spoke of Dunder saying that she remembered seeing him at her store as well. About how he always carried a sword around with him and she wished him luck hoping that everything worked out for her. "Yeah, he can be a bit odd, but that's what I like about him. It makes him special you no? Even I have a few things about myself that are far from perfect," she added with a smile.

Rarity also mentioned that most designers had to go through suppliers for their gems, but she could just find them all on her own and that it really came in handy as well. She nodded, "I bet it does, and I can just imagine all the bits it saves you to be able to use your own gems rather than having to pay someone else for them. It definitely shows in your work since you can put almost all of your resources into your fabrics. The boutiques in Canterlot didn't have dresses as nice as yours. I know I've said it several times but it's the truth!" she laughed as Rarity added that she hoped that Ponyville continued to treat her well. She nodded, "I hope so too. At the very least Ponyville has given me the warmest reception and the most reason to stay than any other place I've been to." she said looking up to her, "And you had a helping hoof in that as well," she told her truthfully. "If it wasn't for everypony's kindness here, I don't know what I would have done."

Rarity laughed. Ice seemed almost defensive about her feelings. Perhaps "quaint" wasn't always such a good word. "Oh, I meant that only in the most positive sense. I find it's the things that make us stand out that also give us character," the unicorn explained with a nod. "In the case of Dunder I imagine that's especially so. His eccentricities lend to his charm."

Rarity nodded enthusiastically at the commented about gems. "Yes, that's it exactly. My gem finding talent is what allows me to keeps costs down, which allows me to keep my prices at a level Ponyville can afford. Dresses like mine can cost, two, five... maybe even ten times as much in a Canterlot or Manehattan designer boutique, depending on how many gems are utilized," Rarity started. She gave a small sigh. "Of course some designers charge more simply on ego, gouging customers for the inflated profits they think they deserve. It's kind of sad how much someponies are willing to charge for a single dress..."

Rarity shook her head. Her expression turned to a smile at the pony's comments about Ponyville. She nodded. "It's not in this town's character to give anything less than a thoroughly warm reception to newcomers."

Ice nodded when Rarity said that she had meant her statement in the most positive was. Had she come off as defensive? She wasn't trying too... She cast it aside though when Rarity started talking about her dresses. Ice didn't know a great deal about fashion, but she knew what looked and felt nice. So she could at the very least understand a base of what Rarity was talking about and in interested her. She did however about fall out of her stool though when she heard the prices that some of the boutiques in Manehatten and apparently the more expensive ones in Canterlot sell for.

"Ten times? How can anypony afford to pay those prices regardless of where you live," she said out of shock making her realize how much more valuable, and how much nicer Rarity had been for her. "Though that's not to say that your dresses are worth any less than that. I'm surprised you don't get more business just because your prices are so reasonable." she told her actually feeling guilty now that she had bought her dress for such a low price. Then an idea came into her mind! She'd have another dress custom made, and she had plenty of bits at this point, she could easily pay Rarity twenty to thirty bits over the price! It was the least she could do after all with as generous as she'd been for her. "Though I have been thinking about a new dress. While the dress I have is beautiful, I can imagine that it would get worn out very quickly if it was the only dress I had to wear to formal gatherings. That being said, I need another one to keep it in pristine condition as long as possible," she finished with a smile.

Rarity also said that it was not this town's character to give anything less than a thoroughly warm reception to newcomers. She smiled lifting up her smoothie. "To friends!" she smiled as the waitress had come back with the salads.

"Yes, I must say that fashion can get quite absurd at times. A thousand bits for a single dress is not unheard of at the very top boutiques in Manehattan," Rarity said, giving a sigh. "And there are ponies who will buy such obscenely priced wear just for the status that goes along with it."

Rarity gave a sigh. "When it comes to some, my lower prices are actually something of a bad sign. They assume that my work is inferior because it's reasonably priced. That was actually one of the key things inhibited my success for the longest time, only now, as I get more and more attention from influential ponies within the scene on my side has it started to really flourish."

She nodded at the comments about getting a new dress and smiled. "I understand. I certainly couldn't survive having only one dress to wear to events! I'd be delighted to sell you a second if you want."

Laughing, Rarity joined the other in her toast. "Yes, to friends!" she said, meeting the pony's glass with her own.

Ice just shook her head at some of the outlandish prices that she heard for the top dresses in Manehatten. A thousand bits for a dress? Regardless of status what pony in their right mind would pay that price? She just didn't understand nobility, and she doubted that she ever would. She frowned when she said that her reasonable prices were partially at fault for her lack of success in getting started because everypony felt her work was inferior to the more expensive boutiques. "I hardly see how that's fair, judging on price alone rather than inspecting the quality of work for themselves. At the very least at least you're having success now. However, if there ever comes a time where you need a few extra bits, don't hesitate to ask. It's the least that I can do for you with as good a friend you've been to me," Ice said as she began on her salad.

"Sadly, that's how it works. Some ponies know nothing about fashion itself, and are only able to assume that price and quality are one in the same," Rarity said, shaking her head. "It's a complex industry. I imagine the world of frozen treats is far more delightfully simple."

"All the same, I'm well connected now," Rarity said with a sigh. "With ponies like Fancypants and Hoity Toity in my corner, I don't imagine I'll be in trouble anytime soon. Though I am of course grateful for the sentiment, darling."

The unicorn laughed and shook her head softly. "On the contrary though, my business is soaring. I'm less worried about it drying up and more worried about it getting to the point where I can no longer manage it all..."

Ice Smiled when Rarity said that her business was actually soaring now and that it wasn't so much that she worried about it drying up, it's that she was worried about it getting to a point where she couldn't manage it at all. "All the same if you ever need any help with anything, I'd be more than happy to help as long as it's not sewing. I can't sew at all, but as far as anything else, don't hesitate to ask," she replied to her nodding as she said she was also well connected now.

"As far as the frozen treats go, it would seem as if it's a simple business, but in all reality, it can be quite taxing. It's not that it's difficult to be successful. I'm quickly finding out here in that the successful part of it was never an issue. It's the fact that it's difficult to keep up with everything. Both as a service to make sure that I get everything to ever pony at least in a timely manner, and then of course the fact that I'm running out of supplies. When I run out it leads to some really sad faces which I don't like seeing. So, that just means I have to do everything in my power to make sure that I don't run out anymore," she said smiling.

Rarity laughed. "I do thank you for the offer," she said, smiling. "And while I am considering hiring permanent help to keep up with demand, I wouldn't dream of taking you away from your own work for that."

The unicorn laughed again as Ice talked about her work. "I suppose it's the same problem for us both them; the same simple problem any small business faces, ensuring that your supply can keep up with their demand!" Rarity shook her head. "Don't sell your skill short though, darling. It's not so simple and you know it. I tasted your snow cones--the shear quality of the product is paramount to your success with it. If your treats weren't so tasty, your lines wouldn't be near as long, after all!"

"Oh you'd never be an issue. Just simply I could set a couple days where I'm just not open, which I should probably do anyway, and I could always help you out on the day that I'm not at my shop, and helping and being around a good friend is it's own reward," she complimented

Though soon it was Rarity's turn to do the complimenting as she spoke about Ice's store. She said that she shouldn't sell herself short, and that her job wasn't as simple and she knew it. That she had tasted her snow cones and the sheer quality of them was paramount to her success. that if her treats weren't so tasty, her lines wouldn't be as long. "I suppose you're right. I guess you could say that we're both artists. Your the master of Fashion and I'm the master of Ice," she said with a giggle finishing her salad as he waitress brought the bill. She handed the bits to her and told her to keep the rest. "In all honesty though if you do ever need anything, I'm just a hop slip and a jump away," she told her with a friendly confident smile.

"How kind," Rarity said with a smile. "All the same, I'd hate to eat into your free time like that if I might avoid it."

She laughed at the pony's next comments and nodded. "Exactly! You're definitely an artist of ice! Someday I'm sure ponies will come to Ponyville just to line up and try your Frozen Delights!"

She smiled as Ice paid for the mean and quickly finished the rest of her food and took a final sip of her tea. Nodding, she then asked, "So, are we ready to go yet, dear?"

Ice smiled and nodded to Rarity's compliment on her store. "That's the hope at least. I don't know how I'd get all that much business outside of Ponyville. You at the very least have famous celebrities that are spreading the word about your store. The only thing I have are the ponies here in Ponyville, and the ponies in Canterlot that would be just as likely if not more so to tarnish my image than they would give an honest review just because I wasn't born there," she finished as Rarity asked if they were ready to go.

"Yeah, I'm as ready as I can be," she responded. She knew that this talk needed to happen. That she'll never truly be over what happened to her if she didn't let it out. She was still insanely nervous as to how Rarity would react to such a story.

Rarity smiled and shook her head. "I wouldn't doubt yourself, dear. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. I imagine it will carry you along just fine so long as you work hard and continue to produce such a fabulous product!" she said.

"The Canterlot crowd certainly isn't easy to impress, but there are some rather kind, honest ponies amongst them. Even they may come around in time," the unicorn added, thinking of her friend Fancypants and how he had stood up for her even when the rest of Canterlot high society seemed poised to turn against her.

When Ice said she was ready to go, Rarity nodded. She could see the uncertainty on the other mare's face. She felt for her. She wanted to help her through her troubles. Nodding, she stood and spoke. "Very well, darling. Where are we headed then? My shop or yours?"

Ice listened and nodded as Rarity told her that word of mouth could be a very popular thing, and that over time even the ponies in Canterlot may come around. She highly doubted that would happen, but she never knew. she had met at least a few decent ponies in Canterlot so she couldn't complain. When she asked if they were going to her shop or Rarity's though the butterflies in her stomach returned. Was this really a good idea? What if Rarity thought if was foolish? What if talking about it damaged their friendship? She came here to Ponyville to make friends not lose them. After all, her friends were all she had. IF she lost them she'd have no pony. "I think it would be best if we went back to your shop. It's a bit more secluded than mine is. Mine is almost right in the center of Ponyville Market. Great for attracting attention," she said her nervousness showing as they walked outside.

"That's a good point, darling" Rarity responded, nodding to the other unicorn. "To the Boutique then!"

Rarity lead the way back to Carousel Botique, trotting at a brisk pace until she reached her beloved shop's doors. Once there, she unlocked the shop and let herself and her friend inside. She lead her into one of the more comfortable back rooms that made up her living area, and showed her to a spot on one of her couches

"Alright, Ice, we're here. Go ahead and make yourself comfortable now, darling," she said with a smile. "Might you want something to drink before we get started? Some tea perhaps?"

Ice Storm followed Rarity closely behind her as she lead her back to the boutique. Without skipping a beat she had the door unlocked and escorted her inside. Just as when they had left it, it was immaculate. She lead her back into the living area of her boutique. It was something that Ice honored greatly as one doesn't simply let anypony waltz into their living quarters. It meant that Rarity had placed a lot of trust in her, and it was a trust that she had no intentions on breaking any time soon. Rarity showed her to a couch and she laid on it trying to make herself as comfortable as she could for the up coming talk.

When Rarity asked if she would like something to drink, maybe tea perhaps, Ice shook her head. "I apprceate the offer, but a glass of water would be just fine, and it would probably be best if you kept it close to you when I'm not taking a drink. I've actually never had this discussion before so I don't know how it's going to turn out, and if the glass is near me, I don't trust myself not to spill it, and spilling something in here is the absolute last thing that I want to do. I would never forgive myself if I even so much as let something drip in here," she told her calmly, but in a nervous tone. The butterflies in her stomach were starting to get to her and all the while the every lasting question of what this would do to their friendship hung there in the back of her mind.

"All right, water it is," Rarity said as she headed into her kitchen for a moment to make her friend a glass of water. She returned shortly and levitated the drink toward her. "Here you are."

"You can just set it on that table there," she said, indicating an end table near the couch. "I'll move it if it looks like we're in danger," she added with a smile.

The unicorn then nodded and took a seat. "So... are you ready?" she asked, not really sure what to expect.

Ice waited nervously as Rarity made her way to the kitchen and got her a glass of water. She levetated it towards her and she grabbed it in her hooves and took a drink from it before levitating it herself over to the table by the couch giving a small smile as Rarity added that she'd move it if it looked like they were in danger. It was light, and it definitely helped calm her nerves. That was until Rarity asked if Ice was ready. Ice took a deep breath and nodded.

"First off I wanna start by apologizing, I really wasn't trying to bring anypony directly into everything that's happened to me, and at the same time thank you for being willing to listen," she said rolling into the couch. "Everything started when I lived in Fillydelphia. I was born there. My Father is SilverMane and my mother is Mist Weaver, well was... I don't know what happened... well I know what happened, but I don't know why. I used to get walked all over in Fillydelphia. It's definitely not a place for foals let me tell you. The older, larger ponies didn't care if you got kicked, stepped on, or even run over, it was always your fault for being in the way, and that they shouldn't have to worry about stepping on anypony. I use to always love going home because my mother would always be there for me. Both my parents were, but then they started associating themselves with one of the more popular Nobles in Fillydelphia at the time, I don't remember his name now, but the soon became more worried about their image in the city," she said, her voice turning a bit sorrowed.

"That was the day that everything started falling apart. After that I would go home from foal school and I would run to my mother for a hug but she'd just walk on by. When ever I tried to even talk to them they always told me that they were too busy to listen and that I should just stay in my room. Basically in a nut shell saying that I wasn't worthy of their time. This went on for six months. I tried to just deal with it and move on, but after six months of being completely ignored by the very ponies that said that they would always be there for you is not an easy pill to swallow..." she commented a tear starting to form in the corner of her eye. "One night, I decided that since I was so unworthy of their time, I'd be better off on my own since I'd practically been living on my own anyway. So I decided to leave...

The very night I left though... I stood in our door way for an entire hour... stating that I was walking out and never coming home... And then never... even looked up..." she stated through a sob. "They didn't even acknowledge that I was leaving, and honestly I doubt that they even noticed that I left. These bracelets were the last thing that my mother gave me before they met the aristocrat.... and the only thing I have left of the loving parents that I used to have, and it was the only thing I had that I was able to leave with. Other than something to carry water in... From there I walked, all the way from Fillydelphia to Canterlot. That was the time I was telling you at the cafe, when I literally lost everything I had..." she spoke trying to keep herself contain. Her emotions showed on her face though, and she was struggling, fighting her own body to not burst into tears right there before she had even gotten halfway through the traumatic events, or at least the events that she thought were traumatic.

Rarity listened to the pony tell her story carefully, nodding where appropriate. It was a difficult story, and one with many blanks left to be filled in. Rarity wasn't entirely sure what to make of it. At the very least though, this pony had her sympathies.

"That's terrible, dear. I hardly know what to say about what must have been such a thoroughly crushing experience..." Rarity said, with a frown. "I had no idea Fillydelphia had gotten so bad with that sort of image obsessed aristocrat, but it's a shame. I understand the desire for status, but compared to friends... compared to family... it's just not that important. I once not too long ago faced something of development. I found myself in a place where I was caught between impressing the Cantelot upper crust and staying true to my friends. When I chose my friends, I was fortunate to find that enough of the socialites I was involved with we're genuine and respectable ponies to not judge me for it."

She gave a sigh. "I can't conceive of why a pony might make the other decision. Choosing something so selfish over somepony they care for, over their own family... A rift in a family is never a pleasant thing. I never realized quite how dearly I loved my sister until some rather shameful oversights on my part split us apart for a day. Once I did realize it, I did everything in my power to sway things back in the other direction. I could never imagine being forced to fully sever ties with her or any of my family..." she said, shaking her head.

"I don't know what went through your parents heads, but it's a shameful thing," she said in a quiet voice. "Just know that you have good friends here now that you can count on to stay by you."