[Canterlot] A Royal Pain - Act 1: Put up your Dukes

Dunder drew his sword when he saw one of the griffons switch their attention to Blueblood and his guards. The blade making a quick rasp against the scabbard as the steel rubbed against it. He pushed up onto his hind legs, and held his sword, pommel at the side of his hips and the tip of the blade pointing behind him like a tail. In this guard, he was ready to counter attack and parry at the same time. He knew he'd have to get close and disarm and knock out or neutralize somehow. He was under another pony's jurisdiction and pay, he needed to follow their orders and guess what they'd want, like not killing.

The griffon sent three of his soldiers out to attack the group. Fire appeared to take the attention of one, Dunder went after the other two. The first griffon came in fast, taking a downward cut at Dunder. Dunder responded by moving out of the path and bringing his sword over his shoulder and cutting to parry the rest of the blow. Dunder 's blade now rested on the handle of the griffons for a split second, and Dunder wasted no time. He grabbed the sword and the griffon's wrist in a powerful fetlock and used his momentum in the flight to slam him against the floor. For good measure, Dunder kicked the griffon on the top of the head to make sure he was knocked out, still facing the third griffon.

The stallion pegasus blocked the hit of the incoming diving griffon, but he grabbed the enemy's pommel, twisting around the wrist to disarm him of the sword. To add insult to injury, Dunder smacked the pony on the head with his own sword, knocking him out.

(OOC: Sorry. Didn't even have time for an apology post yesterday.)

The griffon smashing his way into the small stateroom came charging in, shrieking a war-cry. The upright chair didn't knock him back, like all the furniture on the air-ship it was made of light, laminated woods to save weight. However, the attacker insinctively kicked out at it with one taloned fore-claw and smashed through it, getting it properly tangled in the frame. He want down on his front, smashing the chair to kindling, but leaving a clear path to the door for some-pony willing to walk all over him.

(OOC: Dunder, you did read that post about how you're not supposed to decide the outcome of your own attacks? Otherwise you might as well be writing fanfiction. I will be, but I'm GMing as well as playing my character.)

The third griffon was sent tumbling smacking into the table and flipping it like a see-saw. Plates, food and dishes were sent flying in odd trajectories. The burner that had kept the fondue hot shot across the dining room like a firework, whistling past Blueblood's head and setting his mane on fire. Fortunately, the fire didn't last long as the tureen full of fondue followed, arcing over on top of his head andmaking a fetching hat.

"Aaaaahhh! What!" Blueblood yelped as the semi-liquid cheese dripped down his face and shoulders. "My mane!"

One hoof came up, and a silver serving tray was pressed telekinetically into servce as a mirror only to find the once immaculate mane coated with cheese, that part of it that wan't burned.

"MY MANE!" The tureen flew off again, blasted straight up and embedding itself in the ceiling. The unicorn under had wild eyes and an incandescently golden glowing horn. "NOPONY TOUCHES THE MANE!"

Blueblood lowered his head towards the griffon who was the cause of his bad mane day and a bolt of golden energy blasted from his horn, flinging the griffon across the dining room and out the picture window where they'd entered, leaving a neat griffon shaped hole. Still growling, he turned on the other two descending griffons and treated them each to a blast of pure magic. One went out through the window while the other smacked into the hull. His sudden burst of magical energy faded, and he swayed as the aftereffect of the biggest adrenaline rush he'd ever felt trampled him with it's hooves.

"Ohh! The rest of them! Protect the civillians! Avenge my beautiful mane!"

(OOC: Yes, channelling Spaceballs here.)

"Oh feathers!", Fire gasped as the Duke's mane got a bit cheesy. She knew she was going to hear about that later on, thankfully Blueblood used this outrageous attack on his royal person against his foes and did a rather Dunder-able magical attack against the griffon pirates. She wanted to give the unicorn a cheer, but she had her own foes to face. That leader, or at least the griffon who referred to them as 'Polo Ponies', which she was not sure if she should have been offended by that comment. Polo was a rather enjoying sport to watch, and she had spent the better part of an afternoon with her family watching her home team give those Trottinghams a good thrashing barely a week or so ago.

Like a proper polo player, she wore a rather durable helmet, useful as protection, and as the pirate leader would soon find out also very useful for attacks. She let out a snort and quickly charged towards the griffon leader with her head lowered at just the right place. Her intention was to give the griffon a sound thrashing with an armored headbutt and hopefully when he and his little team are released from the Canterlot dungeons, they would seek out new employment options.

(Helmed headbutt to leader. That should smart!)

The griffon leader growled as he saw the pegasus flying towards him over the crowd. "Grab some of the meat and hold it hostage against these bozos! I'll get this one!"

He took to the air himself, charging at her with both fore-claws out to rake. Meanwhile, theother six griffons hauled random ponies from the group they were hearding, and held them at sword point, backed up inot a circle with the ponies in front acting as shields.

(OOC:Sorry, but The main group of griffons is far enough away to react before any-pony can reach them.)

A group of unicorn engineers and some of the cooking staff weilding various cooking inplements had appeared at the doorway to the lower deck corridor, lead by Lore Scroll, who'd vanished in the first few seconds of the fight. The corridor had only been a short distance from the Captain's table (cloe to the kitchens for fast service). However, they were frozen at the sight of the hostages.

"Ha!...Oh." Muggo' Ale had noticed just how relatively weak the material of the chair was. His intention had been to knock out, or at least daze, the griffon that was attacking him.

It did entangle him though, which was alright by Muggo's way of thinking. He quickly galloped for the door, using the griffon as little more than a carpet, before taking off down the hall. Best to get out into the open, where Muggo' had a bit more room to manoeuvre.

Or at least regroup with Fire and Dunder, who could back him up.

Of course, that also left one marauding pirate around. So Muggo' Ale turned, holding his sword between his teeth, ready to turn back the griffon's attacks and hopefully knock him out quickly, before the fight turned toward the griffon's favour.

Looking back up the corridor, Muggo Ale could see that his room wasn't the only one getting special attention, or that the griffon he'd just used as a rug was the only one there. Several griffons were working the rooms further up the corridor, and the nearest one had just spotted him.

"Oh no you don't, pony-boy!" She screeched, and charged down the corridor at him.

Dunder looked back, shuddering a bit when he heard Blueblood snap. He didn't think this unicorn had it in him, but Blueblood was pretty ferocious when he was angry. Dunder had to be sure to buy Blueblood a drink after this.

When Fire made the move for the leader, Dunder was sure she'd be fine. If she had a scratch on her, the griffon captain surely would not be fine after encountering Dunder. The pegasus stallion knew he'd have to help Fire, and by cutting off reinforcements and let fire do her thing would maybe be the best. HE took off and flew to the circle of griffons, his sword point aimed at them, but he stayed far enough to not let any of the hostages get hurt.

Fire Walker continued her rather speedy charge towards the griffon leader. She knew she would probably feel a little of his claws, but the mare knew she would give more to him, then she would get from him. And hopefully the sight of the armored Pegasus giving their leader a very nasty helmeted headbutt and (hopefully) knocking him into next week, or at least slumberland would distract his cronies just enough to allow their hostages to either get away or be saved by the staff.

She was well versed in aerial combat and would be ready if the griffon tried to dodge out of the way in the last second. He was not going to get away and he surely will pay for ruining her grace's mane.

The nearest griffon sneered at the pegasus and pressed the sword close to the throat of his earth pony hostage. "Back off featherweight, or we'll give these ponies a haircut they'll never forget!"

(OOC: Better be inventive, a direct attack will not work. You have other resources to work with.)

The griffon lerader was happy to accept her unspoken challenge to a game of chicken, and powered forward, striking at her as she closed within range of his claws and snapping at her head. That, at least backfired as the plume of ther helmet got in his way. making his splutter.

Fire Walker tried to take advantage of his momentary splutter by driving both of her front hooves into the sides of the griffon leader's head, hoping it would take him out without causing him too much harm. If she could only take out the leader, then maybe things will be easier with his lackeys.

(OOC; At this moment Fire does not see what's going on with the Dunder and Muggo' and the hostages. She's just concerned with taking out the head griffon...And sorry for the quickie. Getting ready..Should be back Sunday..Or Monday..)

[sorry for das post delay. Wasn't around much the last few days.]

----

Muggo' Ale was feeling confident about his chances. One on one against a griffon in a confined space, where he couldn't use his wings to his advantage.

And then the female one screeched and took off after him.

"Oh, Celestia t'underin'..." he grunted. He wasn't quite ready for this, but set himself up anyways with as much time as he had. He held firm, hoping to lower his centre of gravity enough that the charge against him wouldn't do much.

And, just for good measure, he lowered his head to try and catch the griffon in the stomach, still looking up a bit to stop any weapons with his own.

Dunder kept his sword point trained on the griffons, he knew an upfront attack was way too dangerous, if it were only him he wouldn't even do it and with the hostages on the line it wasn't an option.

Dunder needed something to get the griffons away from the hostages. Anything needed to be tried, "Let the hostages go, and we'll let you go." Won't work, most definately, but maybe Fire's help would be needed.

"Very foalish of you to attack a pleasure ship.", Fire Walker warned the griffon. After the leader's attack, she continued to slam her hooves into his general direction, "There are legions of well trained guards that are seconds away from charging into this room as we speak and unlike myself, they are most likely trained mercenaries who will not think twice about jabbing their pointy weapons into places you would prefer not to have jabbed. I would suggest you and your men surrender now. Neither you nor those you command will be harmed."

In the corridor, the female griffon sliced at Muggo Ale with the short sword held in one fore-claw as she plunged forward.

Meanwhile, in the dining room, the six griffons were in a stand-off with Dunder, even as Firewalker took on the leader. The leader sneered at the pegasus mare as he puleld a spare cutlass from a shoulder holster, fending her off with a claw and then striking viciously. "We know exactly what's on this flying stable, and the only guards are the pair of you! The only reinforcements that are going to come in here are ourrs, once they've swept the upper deck."

Two of the griffons flung away their captives, and came out to face the other pegasus, flanking him as the others maintained a defensive circle. One struck st him with as well aimed culass strike, while the other threw a knife, the other four egging them on.

Blueblood was still recovering from his burst of magic, but was compos mentis enough to take in the scene. He noticed the remaining griffons were distracted by the fight, and the two cowering unicorn nobles, low level bureaucrats in the Ministry of Administrative Affairs, where he'd worked for a couple of weeks. It hadn't ended well, he'd been bored out of his skull, but they'd been assigned to help him and teach him. Pen Pusher and Quick Quill had probably never seen a sword in their lives, though they were expert and passionate about their jobs, filing permits and the masses of paperwork that ran Equestria. He had an idea on how he could help further, but he didn't have enough magical power to do it on his own. If only he could motivate them...

He swept the table of anything remaining, and started to use a bottle of tomato sauce from one of the common tables to write on it. "You know, those griffons almost certainly don't have permits for those weapons. For that matter, I have no doubt they don't have the correct paperwork for using this air-route, not to mention the disruption of everyone's schedules..."

As he'd hoped, the pair of them stopped shivering and started frowning. "Pen Pusher, I remember you telling me how important it was to have all your paperwork filed correctly, and that organisation and respect for proper procedure was what set ponies apart from the animals. And I know you were very insistent on punctuality..."

The pair were glowering at the griffons now, and Pen Pusher exclaimed, "You're right, your Highness! I hadn't realised you'd taken my lessons to heart."

"Those barbarians just stormed in here, without any sort of declaration of intent, not even a memo!" fumed Quick Quill. "How dare they ignore proper form! Ohh! I'd like to cancel their visas!"

"They should be ashamed of themselves! I agree! They probably don't even have visas!"

Blueblood had finished writing on the table, which was labelled 'Null and Void' in reverse lettering. "Then help me stamp them!"

His horn glowed and the others' horns glowed in sympathy. The table shot into the air and arced over before the grouped griffons could react, distracted as they were by Dunder's fight. It slammed down, table first, shattering, but not before it flattened the four griffons who were underneath it. The ponies who'd been held scattered and were quickly drawn behind the protection of overturned tables..

(OOC: Blueblood's response was the sort of thing I meant by inventive. You have an entire deck of ponies to command, including a number of named NPCs. Have fun!)

Dunder's heart skipped a beat as the griffons dropped their hostages and advanced. He took a deep breath and landed heavily, sword point aimed down and behind him as he got ready to block. He backed up to not allow himself to get totally flanked.

Dunder expected a strike from the cutlass and anticipated it. As the cutlass was cut down, Dunder moved the sword above his head, almost parallel to the ground to block the cut. What he didn't expect was the throwing knife. The knife sliced along the back of his hock, causing him to fall in a crouching position. He grunted in pain and anger, knowing now he was in a bad spot with his head more open to attacks.

The griffon with the sword was defelected for a moment, but the other, foreclaws free, snarled in triumph as Dunder went down. He wing-charged forward, claws outstrecthed... to be stopped short by a half empty serving dish arriving a speed from behind the stricken pegasus.

"I may not have fancy magic, but in my youth I could buck a fully loaded pear tree clear of fruit in a single strike." Mr Asstor was well back beside the overturned table, looking over his shoulder. His wife was throwing another dish behind him, and he bucked it at the other griffon, who barely ducked out of the line of fire. Other members of the passengers and crew were starting to arm themselves, unicorns levitating whatever object was nearest, earth-ponies getting ready to buck objects while pegasi wer lifting up things. "I don't aim to be pusehed around by some bird-brained pirates!"

For Muggo' Ale's part, alone in the hall, he didn't quite have many options. The griffon charged him with her sword and he raised his eyebrow. Not very...subtle.

He grinned around the bit of his sword and started humming a song, easily recognizable to anypony who'd seen the Hoofington fief-and-drum corps recently. He didn't quite have bagpipes, nor snares, egging him on, but the song was definitely enough to make him feel, well, Brave. With that, he turned his head and caught the blade of the griffon's short sword with his own, stopping it dead. The force of her charge slammed against him, causing him to drop his blade to avoid breaking any teeth. It didn't stop his spirit, though.

"Hark! When the night is fallin', hear, hear! The pipes're callin'!" he sang, before aiming a headbutt right at the attacking griffon's chest. Not a battle-winning blow, but enough to stagger her.

"Loudly an' proudly callin', down through the glen! There where the hills're sleepin', I feel me blood a-leapin', high as the spirits o' old Heartland men!" he continued. A kind of psychological warfare as he wrestled for control of the griffon's sword-talon.

"That's what you think.", Fire Walker extended both of her daggers as she growled back at the griffon. The honorable pony would have never drawn her weapons on the leader until he did the same. She might not have been the fastest flyer in her regiment, or even the strongest, but when it came to weapons, she was one of the higher skilled when it came to her trusty hoof-daggers. Still, what the griffon had said bothered her. Did he really know the number of proper guards on board this ship? Did he have an informant on board? Considering all the wealthy people on board, there had to be at least a few that had sense to bring along a bodyguard or two. She drove her disarming dagger towards the griffon leader, hoping to take down his blade and then knocking the old bird out with the flat of her other punch dagger. She was spending too much time with this one and she had to taken him down before it was too late. As they fought, she tried to measure his skills. Was he military trained? Or just lucky?

OOC: I'm a little worried about making up an NPC that's a little too helpful. How many good-guy NPCs (Beyond the 'pencil pushers' that have already helped?) are on board and how many griffons are still up and about?

In the corridor the griffon staggered back, trying to find her footing. "I'll make your blood leap, all over the bloody carpet!"

She bore down on him using her greater size and weight to force her blade doiwn on him, locked beak to muzzle.

Firewalker was having mixed success, her punch dagger caught the griffon's blade and lockedit up, but the follow-up strike with her other one was evaded, just barely.

The griffon didn't seem to care. "You think that childish move would take me? I'm a griffon, not some stuffed toy! This is how you rip someone's throat out!"

His beak darted forward, seeking her neck.

"If you were a proper warrior and not a mindless brute of a thug.", Fire growled as she deflected the pirate leader's beak with the back of her blade, "You would know that every move has a purpose.", as she continued to fight, she let her blades move quicker, "I have no idea who you are, nor do I care, but this foolish attack on this ship will be a sad end to your villainous career!", she tried her best to get past his defenses, hoping to land a quick and decisive hit, but this griffon was skilled, thankfully the Pegasus had trained against griffons in the past....

Meanwhile, in the kitchen...."Muh?", a old earth pony awoke from his slumber and slowly got up from his chair. Greasy Spoon may not have looked like it, but the bulky old stallion was considered one of the finest chefs in Canterlot. He had served faithfully both in the kitchen and on the training fields in the R.E.A for many a year before retirement day had come at last, and he was free to fulfill his dream in becoming a high-class 'culinary artist'. Many in the barracks, including Fire Walker were devastated that day he had left, and even more so when Fire's brother, Walk decided to handle duties in the mess-hall. Her family had been known for its old heroes, leaders and thinkers, but as Dunder could attest, none of them were capable of boiling an egg, let alone becoming a decent chef.

The elder stallion made his way over to the small one way window to see what was going on. That racket he was hearing couldn’t have come from a bunch of fancy-smancy-hoity-toity ponies enjoying the meal he helped prepare, there was some sort sort of ruckus going on! Some of the younger ponies looked like were handling themselves rather well, and he noted with pride at the familiar armor two of them wore, but he couldn’t help but gasp as he found his tappanyaki fried vegetables were not resting on their plates, but on the floor! The outrage! He put his very heart and soul in every meal he created and to see them being trampled on the floor by those over-sized buzzards! “This means war!”, he growled as he glanced over at his kitchen staff. Those who had not fled were busy hiding under one of the long metal tables they used to prepare the salads. No, his Sous Chef, 'Quick Nready' was not hiding, but the poor young mare looked a little scared and was unsure what to do. "ATTENTION!", he spoke in a loud, commanding tone, "You boys and gals need to get out of from that table! We have a bunch of greedy griffons who have made a mockery out of the meal we all spent so much time on! We need to go out there and teach those punks what happens when they desecrate our art!"

By then, what was left of the staff were standing at attention, pots and pans ready. The Sauté Chef, a young unicorn named 'Tin Pan' was already at the door, slowly pushing it open with his right hoof. Greasy Spoon waited for his staff to get ready, and when the griffons were at distracted the most before sending out his commands. "CHARGE!". He might not save the day by himself, but the old stallion knew many griffons were going to wake up hours later when splitting headaches.

Dunder Kept his sword pointed at the griffon who attacked with the cutlass. Dunder breathed heavily, the cut on his hindleg was searing with pain and he could easily get flank or hurt bad with all these griffons around him. But He looked back to see the other griffon occupied with plates being thrown at him. Dunder got back to a hind-leggd standing position while taking in a deep breath to hide the pain a little. He needed to take care of this occupied one. Dunder turned around and kicked back, aiming for the place where the sun don't shine on the griffon who threw the knife, his sword still aimed at the cutlass weilding one.

"If you were a proper warrior and not a mindless brute of a thug.", Fire growled as she deflected the pirate leader's beak with the back of her blade, "You would know that every move has a purpose.", as she continued to fight, she let her blades move quicker, "I have no idea who you are, nor do I care, but this foolish attack on this ship will be a sad end to your villainous career!", she tried her best to get past his defenses, hoping to land a quick and decisive hit, but this griffon was skilled, thankfully the Pegasus had trained against griffons in the past....

The griffon was agressive, and getting more so, losing what little temper he had as attack after attack failed to get through her two blade defence. He winged back, and drove forward in an all out attack, leaving a brief open window in his defence.

Meanwhile, in the kitchen...."Muh?", a old earth pony awoke from his slumber and slowly got up from his chair. Greasy Spoon may not have looked like it, but the bulky old stallion was considered one of the finest chefs in Canterlot. He had served faithfully both in the kitchen and on the training fields in the R.E.A for many a year before retirement day had come at last, and he was free to fulfill his dream in becoming a high-class 'culinary artist'. Many in the barracks, including Fire Walker were devastated that day he had left, and even more so when Fire's brother, Walk decided to handle duties in the mess-hall. Her family had been known for its old heroes, leaders and thinkers, but as Dunder could attest, none of them were capable of boiling an egg, let alone becoming a decent chef.

The elder stallion made his way over to the small one way window to see what was going on. That racket he was hearing couldn’t have come from a bunch of fancy-smancy-hoity-toity ponies enjoying the meal he helped prepare, there was some sort sort of ruckus going on! Some of the younger ponies looked like were handling themselves rather well, and he noted with pride at the familiar armor two of them wore, but he couldn’t help but gasp as he found his tappanyaki fried vegetables were not resting on their plates, but on the floor! The outrage! He put his very heart and soul in every meal he created and to see them being trampled on the floor by those over-sized buzzards! “This means war!”, he growled as he glanced over at his kitchen staff. Those who had not fled were busy hiding under one of the long metal tables they used to prepare the salads. No, his Sous Chef, 'Quick Nready' was not hiding, but the poor young mare looked a little scared and was unsure what to do. "ATTENTION!", he spoke in a loud, commanding tone, "You boys and gals need to get out of from that table! We have a bunch of greedy griffons who have made a mockery out of the meal we all spent so much time on! We need to go out there and teach those punks what happens when they desecrate our art!"

By then, what was left of the staff were standing at attention, pots and pans ready. The Sauté Chef, a young unicorn named 'Tin Pan' was already at the door, slowly pushing it open with his right hoof. Greasy Spoon waited for his staff to get ready, and when the griffons were at distracted the most before sending out his commands. "CHARGE!". He might not save the day by himself, but the old stallion knew many griffons were going to wake up hours later when splitting headaches.

The four griffons who'd been hammered by the table took one look at the charging ponies, and decided that discretion was the better part of valour, and running away was the better part of discreton. They jumped out of the hole in the two story bain window, and flew unsteadily back towards the griffon warbird. The only griffon left in the hall were the two facing Dunder, and the leader.

Dunder Kept his sword pointed at the griffon who attacked with the cutlass. Dunder breathed heavily, the cut on his hindleg was searing with pain and he could easily get flank or hurt bad with all these griffons around him. But He looked back to see the other griffon occupied with plates being thrown at him. Dunder got back to a hind-leggd standing position while taking in a deep breath to hide the pain a little. He needed to take care of this occupied one. Dunder turned around and kicked back, aiming for the place where the sun don't shine on the griffon who threw the knife, his sword still aimed at the cutlass weilding one.

The cutlass weilder squarked a warning to his mate, but the otrher griffon was too busy being pelted by crockery to notice, or at least react effectively. The kick landed and the griffon was flung, screeching in pain, out of the window. The culass weilder was now mostly occupied using it to deflect the hail of objects that were being bucked or levitated at him as the crowd finally started getting behind the counter-attack. Several were cheering on the royal guards as they fought..

Knowing she had only the brief moment, Fire Walker quickly let the griffon leader feel the rather heavy and painful back of her blades as he charged into them. Hopefully she'll hit him just right, so the poor fool wouldn't feel too much pain before quickly passing into a sleepy-town. She hoped the ship had some sort of brig, or at least a room they could secure before they arrived at the next port of civilization.

Muggo' Ale grinned at her little shout. "Can't deal with the classics?" he teased, shortly before she attacked again. Muggo' slipped out from under the griffon's attack as best he could, still getting a bit of a nick on his left hindleg for it.

"Ya seem kinda focused on gettin' this ship down," Muggo' commented as he came up, leaving his blade on the ground for now. He started backing toward the balcony, grinning a bit.

"Why's that? If yer lookin' for ransom, I don't have any bits. But what I do have are skills, b'y. Skills I've gained over a very long career." It was a bluff, made to look more intimidating than he was. His hind legs bumped up against the balcony railing, and he grunted. This wasn't good.

The old barpony climbed onto the railing. He looked over his shoulder, down into the dining hall below. He saw how they dispatched the griffons down there, and knew he was out-numbered, and out-matched, up here.

So he did all that he could.

Muggo' jumped. "Somepony catch me!" he shouted quickly as he dove from the railing, expecting to tuck and roll to hopefully break the fall, and he hoped the griffons would be stupid enough to follow him over...and either give up then and there, or get chased off by the angry kitchen staff below.

An observant unicorn did manage to catch the rather wild-looking green stallion and slow his fall, and he alighted gently onto a table. Muggo' tilted his hat back, turned to the balcony above, and grinned.

"Come an' get me!"