A mechanized Stranger. [ Open to all ]

( OOC: This is my First starter RP post so I apologize in advance ^^; )

...What am I??...

...Why was I built??..

...What other purpose do I serve??...

Nemesis flew over the clouds of Canterlot contemplating his design, His purpose and just asking the question "Why?" His engines roared with power to propel him forward.

He never understood why he was built....for that matter his memory banks don't even contain data about who built him. All he remembers was looking up at the sky and finding himself in a crater and a small yellow butterfly landing on his metallic nose.

He closed his eye's in mid-flight unaware that he was on a direct course for the mountain next to Canterlot itself!

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile, in Ponyville, an intelligent earth pony looked over his plans. He just couldn't get it. Why? Why did one of these mechanical ponies work in that manner. One of them was intelligent, he trained it, taught it. It was sentient. The others wouldn't even turn on. He hadn't yet gotten the chance to see if that pony knew why it worked, when it flew off. While it flew up, it was hit by something dropped by a seemingly cross eyed pegasus. He knew his creation would be damaged from it. He had to make another, to find his first.

(OOC: First time replying to an RP post.)

A light brown, sandy coloured unicorn took his usual seat on the side of Canterlot Mountain. The unicorn reached into his gold emblazoned saddle bags and pulled out a thick paper notepad. With an absent minded sigh, his horn lit up the same emerald green as his eyes and the pad flipped past pages full of sketches and mechanical drawings to a blank page. He lifted up a large blue pencil with his magic and placed it gently onto the page. "Okay, Sketch. Time to do what you do best," he said quietly to himself. The distant town of Ponyville was just visible from the rocky precipice he was sat on. Reaching into his bag he pulled out a set of binoculars and trained them on the distant village. The rustic charm always made for a splendid drawing.

Sketch breathed in heavily and let it out again. The air up here was always so crisp and fresh. Distant from the tumultuous noise of Canterlot. It was that reason why Sketch chose this spot and made sure to come out here at least once a week. It was therapeutic. He turned his attention back to the small town when a sudden spark of colour caught his eye. Turning his gaze upwards he spotted what looked like a red pegasus flying at ridiculous speeds... and the foal appeared to be heading right for the mountain! "Hey!" Hey!" Sketch shouted at the top of his lungs. A loud echo mimicked his cry as the pegasus continued to bear towards him.

Snowy, a sky-blue Pegasus, flew around the skies of Canterlot, knocking out all the clouds in sight. The weather report called for a completely clear sky and it was her job to make sure that there wasn't a single one in the sky. She flew around a mountain to check if she got all the clouds in the area, when she suddenly heard a shout coming from the side of the mountain, she turned her head and saw a strange mechanical pony flying straight towards it with their eyes closed.

Not knowing what else to do she quickly flew near the pony and took a deep breath "Hey! Watch out!" She yelled out the loudest her voice could muster, which however, came out sounding like a regular speaking tone.

Nemesis Didn't realize he was heading for the mountain until it was too late, the speed he was going at combined with his size made a large impact crater followed by a series of mechanical noises which his way to say "ow"

a small amount of time had passed before he came back online and the usual readout appeared in his visor

• Power: 95.2%
  • Damaged sustained: 86%
  • Sensors: Malfunctioning

"Great" he thought to himself, with his sensors down he could not tell if anypony was near his location, he didn't choose to worry if anypony saw him...he would probably be attacked by them before he had a chance to explain himself...

(( OOC: many thanks for the replies guys =D ))

Sketch thought he heard a weak cry in the distance as he stood up and waved furiously at the unaware pegasus with both his forehooves, but the pony continued right into the mountain below with a resounding crash. Sketch was almost thrown off of his hooves as the entire mountain quaked from the impact. Then it stopped. The air was stilled once more as a blanket of silence covered the area. Sketch approached the rocky precipice once more and looked down. There was a large crater down below, unusually large considering the pegasus should have splatted on impact. Sketch took one more longing look at distant Ponyville before sighing heavily. "Well, it looks like there goes my only day off this week," he grumbled.

A flash of his horn placed the items back into the saddlebags and replaced them onto his back. *Right. Now how in Celestia's name am I going to get down there.* Sketch peered over the edge again, when a series of sounds like gears whirring came from the crater below. Curiosity got the better of him, so he brought the binoculars back up to his eyes and peered through. "Bah. I'll never get anything from this angle." He panned his gaze upwards on impulse and noticed a sky-blue pegasus in the distance. *What the draconequus is she doing here? She must've been the source of that cry earlier* Sketch took one last glance at the blue pegasus before shaking his head. "No, that thing that crashed down there is what's important. Let's see about getting down there." Sketch gingerly lowered himself over the edge and dug his hooves into the side. "Oh boy, Sketch. Why do you akways have to get involved."

Grey began pouring over the plans again, this time, specifically the brain. He knew, to think like a pony, the mind must be organized like a pony. No amount of memories, stored in a cold format, could be...ALIVE. But, to create an electronic brain...one with synapses, nuerons, and able to create actual memories. That, he had always known, would be what makes it live. Suddenly, he got a readout.

• Power: 95.2%
  • Damaged sustained: 86%
  • Sensors: Malfunctioning

Something was happening. He was able to look into the catalog of memories. Remotely, he could not change them, or add any, but he could see one thing. There weren't any. Did the impact wipe the brain clear? Are the memories there, but corrupted? Are the links used to access them broken? Regardless, the memories acquired thus far would have taken very little of his brain. Just the right-rear part of the brain, which happened to be where the mechanical pony was first hit. Grey knew what he had to try.

He sent a line of code, hoping it would reach his creation, wherever it was...

"Command: Execute physical diagnostic. Assess internal and External damage. Full report."

"what is this???" he asked himself. something else was just spoke to him but how? "A damage report??" why is it a damage report? who wanted to know how much damage he had??. The order came through again and he felt the need to respond

"NO!"

nemesis shouted "I don't follow orders...I....I..." he went silent for a full minute before the need to reply became too much

• External Damage: minimum, Minor scratches to outer armour
  • Internal Damage: Average, non-essential components and right side memory bank damaged but repairable.
  • ERROR: Left wing has sustained major damage, repairs necessary.

Nemesis took a few steps back "What was that??...Am I been controlled?...no...no.NO!!" He was in a panic, the idea of been controlled by another scared him to the core.

Grey sat, waiting. He began to recount to himself the memory design. It was, mostly, flawless. Split into four drives, and two remote backups. The A:/ Drive was Autonomy, it was as simple as any computer drive, and was there to handle the computerized functions, like how to respond to commands, and it also contained the information to run the C:/ drive. The B:/ drive, which was used for Backup, was in essense a copy of the A:/ drive, along with info on running the D:/ drive. The C:/ Memory was the Complex memory, that was the name for the brain, and it stores the actual memories, as well as the ponyity ((OOC: I tried to ponify humanity, failed horribly)) of his creation. The D:/ Drive, or deep drive, was hidden within the C:/ drive, a small device, essentially using the C:/ drive as padding to keep it safe. It contained the emergency instructions, of what to do if all else failed.

As he waited, he began to fear that the A:/ and B:/ drives failed, or the parts that ran the command had been in error. Fortunately, those worries were assuaged when he saw the following

• External Damage: minimum, Minor scratches to outer armour
  • Internal Damage: Average, non-essential components and right side memory bank damaged but repairable.
  • ERROR: Left wing has sustained major damage, repairs necessary.

An image appeared onscreen, then faded. When Grey attempted an override into the visual input system, he recieved the following error:

ERROR: NO MESSAGE RECIEVED

As the diagnostic did not return any error with sensor equipment, he knew that communaction was limited to text, which makes his job, much, much harder.

Nemesis calmed down and began to think..."maybe I could get a message to who ever sent that" he looked back and forth thinking to himself "home in on the signal? no..impossible to fly now" he looked as his wing. bent and buckled to the point of falling off

inside he opened up a core program with the request for a damage report and typed in his own words which read:

"Whoever you are...leave me alone! I do not wish to be controlled. I'm........I'm not some tool you can use!"

Nemesis sat down in the still smoking crater...waiting for a reply or for somepony to find and help him down from here.

OOC: all that computer stuff just confused me lol ))

Grey Matter was unable to send a regular message, the lines were not opened for that, all he was able to do was send commands, and not many were useful at the moment. Then, his screen lit up,

"Whoever you are...leave me alone! I do not wish to be controlled. I'm........I'm not some tool you can use!"

He tapped out a reply onto his pad, and sent out the following message (In distinctive blue text, as opposed to his regular red, or black for commands):

"Tool? No, you are much more than that. I made you to be much more than that. I'm not controlling you, I'm not making you do things. I can't do that, at least, not if your C:/ or D:/ drives are intact, which they apparently are. You are a pony. No, you don't have blood pumping, but you think like one. You were created to live, to be a companion, like all other ponies. Please, trust me on this. I made you, and you may not know who I am, but truth be told, I don't know why you are. I don't know why you are able to think, or even function. None of the others did. If you can just listen to me, I can prove I made you."

Nemesis read the blue text. He knew well enough he was mechanical and designed to look like a pony, that was no supprise...but what was a supprise however was what he read next

"there was others like me???" he thought to himself. an experiment? just another test subject??

"Very well...explain yourself..prove you created me" he sent the message, stood up and approached the craters edge...A long way down from here past canterlot to the ground..

Grey recieved the message, and began typing feverishly. "I can prove it, by fixing your wing. There was a prototype, I put it in your C:/ Drive, so if it corrupted you, I could just wipe your memories, and keep your sentience. You have the technology inside of you, a kind of tiny robot, able to rebuild. It drains your power, to fix the wing will leave you with under 5% power, but you can use your solar array, or if you are flying, the windmill will provide easy power, but the nanobots can rebuild you. Slowly, it will take a while, but you will work again, without needing anypony to repair you. Since I don't know where you are, I can't go and repair you, and I don't think anypony else can rebuild you. Under your A:/ drive, there should be a filepath. It is broken, it won't work, because the area of the C:/ drive containing it is inaccessible. Still, tell me if you see filepath 'A:/Access-C:/Right Brain/Rear/Program File/Rebuildv2.0'. If so, I can resend it, so long as you allow access to your A:/ Drive, I will install it there."

Sketch continued his climb down, carefully grabbing each hoofhold as he found it. The climb was a lot harder than he expected. *The crash must have loosened the whole damn mountain.* Sketch complained to himself as he stuck his hoof onto a convenient rock shelf. He risked another look down. The crater was now clearly in his vision. *If I could just...* Sketch held the thought and magically lifted back out the binoculars and stared down into the hole. The red pegasus was still alive! But from the look of that wing, he probably wished he wasn't. *That's an amputation job, there's no fixing that.* Sketch noticed the pegasus stand up and walk over to the lip of the hole. Shock was apparent on his face, but not pain. *How odd.*

Sketch continued his climb downwards, having to shift slightly to the side at one point to avoid arriving at the top of the new cave. He risked another glance now the he was closer. It was the red pegasus sure enough. Didn't look particularly well though. Something was definitely off about his appearance. (OOC: How mechanised are we talking? Does he look like a normal pegasus, or is he obviously robotic?) Sketch shook it off as damage from the crash. He continued his climb down, steadily approaching the edge of the crater/cave.

( OOC nemesis is clearly robotic )

Nemesis took a deep looking into his own files, he searched and searched until he found what he was told to find "I....I found it" he said with surprise "I have just allowed access. please install it so I can fly again...been on the ground for so long is getting tedious"

At that moment his scanners began to operate again...there was a unicorn pony very close to his postion. He turned to face the unicorn standing taller than most normal ponie ( around luna's height ) although he was thankful his wing was damaged...he hoped it would stop him from looking intimidating.

Grey matter got a notification that he was able to send a copy of the program. He sent it, now saved into the A:/ Drive, along with the attached message, "I upgraded the program to v3. It will tell you the progress, as well as allow you to take control of what areas to focus on. Also, if you have more power than you need, the program will work on maintenance and upkeep as well. It also will has three settings, Fast, Balanced, and Powersaver. Fast will reduce you to 5% power, but takes less time (The program will run an estimate). Balanced leaves you with 25%, and takes more time than fast. Power saver will leave you with 75%, but takes a lot of time to do."

Sketch rounded the corner and entered the crater, only to find him face to face with the pegasus. "Oh my," was all he could say as he stared upwards. The pegasus was a lot taller in real life, and a lot more... augmented. After a few seconds of silence, Sketch's fight-or-flight instinct kicked in. He span back around and suddenly remembered the massive drop that marked the edge of the crater. He quickly spun back around to face the pegasus. He magically pulled out the binoculars and held them aloft in what he hoped was a threatening matter. "Who are you? What are you going to do! Why are you a robot?" The questions streamed out of him, and towards the red machine that still appeared to be processing something.

Nemesis found it odd at first but soon got the hang of it, he focused the repair to his wing and set the program to balanced, he would only use fast unless it was a certain situation "thank you" he said in a message then added "what is your location? I shall find you once I have spoken to this unicron"

With that his wing began to slowly fix itself..the program was working he then turned to the unicorn once more and answered his questions in the order asked "I am Nemesis, I intend to fix my wing and speak with you and I do not know why I am a machine....I simply am"

He studied the unicorn for a moment "you need not use...that thing..whatever it is...I am not here to cause harm to you although through simple experience and logic I assume you don't believe me." He waited for the predictable outcome of more questions and a possible threat toward his own existence.

With a "BWONG" Grey recieved the message. He typed back, "I'm in Ponyville. Do you know why you can't send out sensory information? I'm not recieving any sight or sound. Also, are the touch sensors working? To what extent? I programmed it so you could feel, pain, tickle, or whatever else, but I tried to put in a failsafe so you would not be incapacitated in case of something like your broken wing."

Sketch slowly processed the information while keeping his eyes fixed on the robotic pegasus. *Nemesis? He sure sounds friendly* Sketch thought sarcastically. "N-N-Nothing simply is... especially n-n-not a robot." Sketch eventually stuttered. He tightened his grip on the binoculars and took a step back. He then continued drawing on his dwindling reserves of confidence. "Robots exist to serve their masters, and you just divebombed the mountain! Was that a test run? Are you going to hit Canterlot next?! I won't let you!" Sketch pushed more magic into his horn and levitated out a second item, a tin case full of pencils. The strain of two spells was clearly showing on his face as he held them both aloft.

Nemesis responded to the unicorn first " I have no master. just the pony who built me and he cannot control or order me around" he looked to the crater to examine what he did then turned to the unicorn and added "I did not intentionally land here...I became lost in my old memories and simply crashed here by accident" he took notice of the unicorns strain by holding up two items magically "please put those down before you collapse from exhaustion"

He then responds to grey "I can feel now. when I impacted the mountain I did not feel a thing. it is only after you sent the V3 program that I could feel again. As for my sensory information...I...don't know why it is not working properly for you but for me its fine"

Sketch nods tiredly and releases his hold on the items. The binoculars and pencil case clatter to the ground noisily. He sits back onto the ground to catch his breath. "Sorry. My magic's... a bit weak," he pants loudly. "So you're a good robot then? Come to defend the planet from aliens or something? Isn't that what good robots do?