A mechanized Stranger. [ Open to all ]

OOC: this will be my last post for tonight. Need some sleep haha ))

Nemesis responded to grey first

"I'm able to talk to you and this unicorn both in text and speech...I cannot however receive visual images" he then turned to the unicorn and said " magic...An interesting source of power you have there...and in a manner of speaking..I will protect anyone who I consider a friend from harm...even if it means my own death!" he said the last line with the up most confidence.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Huh. You sound... trustworthy. So not planning on blowing up anything then? If you don't mind me asking, what are you actually doing here then? You seemed pretty determined when you were flying here. These "old memories", they must have been pretty engrossing." Sketch said to the robot as he picked himself back up off of the floor. Sketch looked slightly up at the tall and imposing figure. There was something almost... regal about his pose. "Do you mind if I draw you?" Sketch asked before he could stop himself.

Grey flipped a switch, turning on a microphone so he could speak more naturally. He spoke inti the microphone, "Test. You said you could hear audio from me, can you hear this? You said you were not receiving visuals. Do you mean you cannot receive them from me, or are your digital eyes not working?"

OOC: finally back from college lol already lets get back into this. ))

Nemesis looked at the unicorn with puzzlement "you want to draw me??" he was very confused by this request but decided to play along "um...very well I guess you can"

suddenly he heard his creators voice coming through his audio receivers, he replied in text, he didn't want to seem crazy in front of the unicorn " Yes I heard you my eyes are working its just if you were to send a image to me I would not be able to open or see it."

Sketch suddenly realised how stupid he sounded and flinched in preparation fro a rebuttal. To his surprise, none came.

"um...very well I guess you can"

"T-t-that's excellent!" Sketch stuttered excitedly. Retrieving a set of pencils from the floor where they had fallen and pulling out his favourite notepad. Flipping to the next blank page, he laid down on the floor and stared up at the robotic pony. "Now, just don't move while I get the outline." Sketch commanded then suddenly realised who he was talking to and added sheepishly, "If you don't mind, that is." Sketch surrounded one of his pencils with his magical aura and brought it back to the page. Touching it gently to the paper he began what he did best, to sketch.

Nemesis nodded to the unicorn and added "yes I shall remain here while you sketch me" this was rather amusing to have a unicorn pony actually draw him. maybe this is the first step in getting know through out the land. "the mechanical stranger...no no that sounds stupid" he thought to himself "the mechanical Pony...yes that sounds nice" his thoughts were interrupted by a new message from grey.

"I choose not to use my inner voice thought to communicate with you. It is simply my preference and I find it easier to focus on others around me." He sent the message and remained still for the unicorn to draw him.

Sketch made sure to work fast. Robotic ponies that were probably extremely busy weren't likely to be patient enough for a full blown portrait, but a quick, stylish sketch was what he was best at anyway. The pencil was a flurry of small but rapid movements. Each jerk practiced and purposeful. Of course even he was prone to mistakes, but the pencil had an eraser on the end, so a quick rub out and he'd continue. Sometimes he'd swap with a lighter or darker shade of grey and draw a few lines before switching back.

"Alright. Well can tell then that your three primary senses are working. If you are interested, I am currently prototyping you other two. Although, I am testing them seperately, because to install them requires actual work in your C:/ drive. I need to add the parts that interpret the senses. If I were able to send you the blueprints of your design, could you run an internal scan to find any variances? Hopefully then we can know why you are...you. No matter what though, you are unique."

"sure" he said very casually "send the blue prints and I'll scan them. but to be honest I doubt you'll find anything. Even I don't know what my own power source is...." that was not entirely true. he knew a part of his power came from solar energy during the day time hours but what keeps him running all the time was a mystery....magic maybe?? no that can't be...

He glanced over to the unicorn sketching. watching the magically held pencils dart from left to right, up and down and in several other directions "do you do this all the time?" he asked not moving the rest of his body " is it you're talent??"

Grey sent the files, as well as a message. "What about your imaging systems? Those working? They should be able to scan your systems and see how they line up with the schematics. Anything, from a dent to an area getting too much power, to an area getting shocked, to one getting burned, will show up. The only things that won't show up is anything that isn't physical. Any information, which means, if those are working, and it doesn't show up, something in your programingdid this, I just need to isolate it and add it to future designs."

Sketch continued to draw, glancing up at the pony and then back down at the paper and making slight adjustments. He replied as he worked. "Heh. Yeah. Born and raised an artist. My parents weren't so thrilled though. They're both "modern" artists which basically amounts to lumping random junk together and really selling it. Got a job in engineering, so I mostly do technical drawings now, but every so often I like to just sketch life. There's something beautiful about it that just yearns to be etched onto paper. I draw things how I see them. There's something special about you too, you know. You're like a cat ready to pounce, but also mewl. I didn't see that before. I only saw the apex predator, but I can see that there is something almost damaged about you, and I'm not talking just physically. Anyway, I'm done. Want to see?"

Nemesis turned fully to face the unicorn "yes I would like to see this image you have drawn" while he said this he did a full scan like grey suggested.....nothing he found nothing in his scan. He then proceeded to send a message to grey " I found nothing" he simply sent that message and waited.

(OOC: Thought I might try and draw something, but it came out mangled and horrible. Now I remember how I flunked art.)

Sketch lifted up the notepad to reveal his masterpiece. Well, his quick sketch under pressure. It looked like Nemesis. The drawing was a bit technical, a rough guess at dimensions had even been scrawled along the edges, but it had a certain charm to it. "Yeah, I know. not my best work, but it does look just like you. Out of interest, do you know your exact height? Actually, you haven't told me why exactly you are here? Is something going down?

Grey began to pour over the schematics once again. He still could not figure out what it was. He could not link the two. A difference in the programming would explain the personality, the sentience of his creation, but not why none of the others worked. At least, not for more than a few seconds. Finally, he saw something. He had made a fatal flaw in the physical design. It wouldn't show up in any error reports, because it was made according to design. One of the battery cells was pressed up against the D:/ drive, causing an overload, which fried the drive, and shorted out the pony. Nemesis, however, had a glitch, a mistyped line of code, somewhere, that made him...pony. Nemesis had a certain resolve, and like a pony in pain, Nemesis was able to push through the pain, amd, with great effort, keep the drive running. Grey spoke to Nemesis, "I think I found out what sets you apart. At least, a part of it. Is there any sort of pressure against your D:/ drive? How many volts are flowing through it?" Grey also sent a typed message for reference.

"Minimum voltage required: 4v (emergency operation, 1.2v)

Maximum safe voltage: 100v

Total failure at: 150v

Recommended voltage: 75v"

Nemesis looked at the picture and was impressed "so thats what I look like?" he thought to himself "you did an amazing job here for a rough image and as for my height...um..I don't know either" he looked at the unicorn with puzzlement again and replied "I don't know why I am here...I just ended up here..." he looked down confused by his own words...

he then looked over the reference that grey had sent him and did a check...."oh my" he thought to himself and sent a message to grey which read "um...the voltage is reading at 275v...but I can't feel anything up there..."

Grey read the message. His hunch was correct, this creation could only survive because it was actually alive. Grey was faced with questions, among them, was if he would redesign the future versions to fix this problem, or simply require they have the same resolve. That was unimportant now, as he needed to comb through the codes to see what didn't match up. He had to do that manually though.

"How is your wing coming along?"

"The wing is nearly finished" nemesis sent the message just as his wing had finished repairing itself...faster than he thought for been on the balanced setting

he turned to the unicorn unsure how to answer his question "um....that we can agree on but..." he walks to the edge of the impact crater and looks down to canterlot "I don't know what my purpose truly is yet" when the unicorn noted his blank flank he turned to get a look then back at the unicorn "Those marks are something magical...I am a machine...I doubt that kind of magic works on machines.."

(( OOC: he has no cutie mark. I have posted an image that is awaiting approval. you'll be able to see him soon ))

"There must be something that you're good at. If I were you, I'd try pretty much anything and everything to see what I like." Sketch replied as he walked over to the edge to join Nemesis. He turned to speak again when a sudden thought hit him. "Hang on, can I try something? How would you react to a simple telekinesis spell?" Sketch lit up his horn as he spoke and his tell-tale emerald aura surged from his horn and surrounded the robot.

Nemesis attempted to back away but he was already caught in this aura of magical energy "hey what are you...." he stopped...the colour suddenly made him feel calm like he no longer worried over his purpose and why he was built...he liked the feeling. A robot who feels....how about that.

Grey, who had spent the past moments implementing the new power distribution system into the V2 designs he worked out with Nemesis, send a message across Nemesis' readout: "Building the V2, be there soon"

He sent it, too wrapped up in the beauty of the half finished creation, that he forgot Nemesis would not recall designing the V2. Grey had designed robots for a long time, but never had anypony to help him. He worked with Nemesis to design the V2, which would have been the next generation version of him. The designs were complete, and the robitic arms were building it when Nemesis had left, and the two were in the process of writing the code. Grey knew that this was his chance to test out the initially intended code, but had more important things to do...

At that time, the robotic arms had just finished attaching the body plates to the creation. Grey didn't have time to apply a full paint job. Instead, he opted to simply spray paint on his own Cutie Mark...

Nemesis was too focused on the calming green aura to fully notice the message "V....2?" he had no idea what it could mean but then easily figuring it out V2: Version or Variant 2. A second design to be better than the first.

Was he to be replaced with this V2? Was nemesis the V1? Either way it would be hard to replace him. the origonals usually stick around for a looooong time.

Grey uploaded the last bit of programming into the V2 body, using the avatar programming, so he could control it. He dabbled in the design of the code for when a robotic arm couldn't be programmed, when it needed something that could react, something organic. He dons the suit, which had the sensory coding added in, and powers on his new creation. As there was not a code upgrade, it isn't actually the V2, just the body. Instead, it is something new...the Grey Steel V1.

Grey Steel's wing rotated, so the engines faced directly downward, and the roof opened up. The engines started, and Grey Steel lifted off into the air. It rotated again in midair, and took off toward Canterlot, zooming at speeds that rival, or surpassed, even Rainbow Dash.

Sketch couldn't help but laugh at Nemesis's reaction to his magic. The robotic pegasus had a huge grin plastered across its face as it hovered slightly off the ground. "I didn't know that a robot could actually enjoy anything," Sketch said quietly as he watched the pegasus rotate slightly. The strain of such a heavy object quickly caught up with Sketch though, and he had to release the robotic pegasus gently back onto the ground. "Enjoy that, did you? Maybe your talent is something to do with magic. I know as a pegasus that you can't cast, but there's plenty of talents in Equestria that revolve around assisting the magical progress."

Sketch's memory suddenly kicked in. He'd been here for a long time. He had a very important dinner with a potential client later, but he couldn't leave this robot alone to deal with his problems. "Hey, Nemesis. I'm going to have to head back to Canterlot soon. Do you want to come with me? It's Nightmare Night in two weeks, so I'm sure I can convince anypony that you're just wearing a costume that you've recently bought. We could see about finding something for you to do, or maybe even somepony who knows you. All of the best mages make Canterlot their home."