Cherry's random art splurge

CherryRie

Well having looked around I have to admit I'm a little nervous about posting this up here. You have some wonderfully talented artists in your herd, I'm already looking to several threads for inspiration and pose refrences. But one cannot grow without guidance. So I'm gona be posting up most of the doodles I have here in the hope that I can learn a thing or two ^_^

If its not too much trouble I would really appreciate honest critical opinions, not just 'that's nice' comments. Okay that sounded wrong, because short 'ohmygosh cute' responses give me the warm fuzzies. But at the same time don't be afraid to speak your mind; say what you really think, where you would change things and how you would like to see doodles improved :D

I really want to learn and expand, and the best way of doing that is to have feedback!

And now for something compleatly difrent; Ponys! Sqeeeeee!

To save space I'll be using links to the images rather then posting whole pics ^^

Marshmallow chicken ; Kairus is new to this whole 'magic unicorn' thing, and he's getting a little frustrated. The only trick that he can do is to turn loose screws (and only clockwise) and whenever he tries anything else it ends up conjuring a marshmallow chicken. At least its delicious ^_^

Spanner in the server ; Inspired by chat with a friend called Toby underwood, whom was having issues with his servers at work :P

Cherry ; scraps linework of an anthro vertion of my pony charcter, Cherry!

Poor Kairus ; Random follow-on pick from Marshmallow chicken. More consentration equals more chickens. Pluss other ponies from the group mission!

Leraku ; Another Rp chracter from the group mission, this time Leraku! The plot hole Lemur. In the World of Equestria he is part dragon, part Lemur, all adorable :D

Rainy Ramza ; Ramza is an earth pony... and he can do magic!! Perhaps he just dosn't know any better? Oh well, at least he's enjoying his little raincloud ^_^

Ummm I think thats it for stuff I've actualy uploaded so far. I'll have more soon no doubt. As I said any comments or sugestions are AWSOME and twenty percent cooler :mrgreen:

Ramaza is ADORABLE - I love his scruffy coat! I'll hve to check out your dA page when I get home from work. ^^

YAY! I'm really glad you like him Blossom! I'm affraid I don't have much else on DA except what you see here though :D

Hopefully that will change soon enough once I get the doodles into gear though :lol:

hi hi

Ramza is pretty adorable. (Any relation to FFT?) the pose and feel are all good, but if I were to make one suggestion, I would say you might want to bevel the coat around the hooves so that it is further away near the front and closer in the back.

Thats useful to hear ginger, I was afraid he looked lop-sided when I first uploaded the pic XD I'm not sure what FFT is but I'll Ramza if he knows ^_^

Oh, and;

ginger_hoofs_check_by_cherryrie-d3em4ab.jpg

Or option three, Both ;)

hi hi

I think i was referring to the first one more than the second, but now that I think about it, some breeds do have a sticky outy portion on the back side, just above the hoof, but that's not important now! I liked the shaggy look of the coat, I think it was just the mean distribution of squiggles varied a bit from hoof to hoof... if that makes any sense. :oops:

(Inkwell already covered for me, but yeah, Final Fantasy Tactics is pretty epic in my book and its the only place I've ever seen that name before.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Skye :)

I could do with some advice from anyone who knows about the character I've been working on; Cerra Cirrus. I've finally maged to create a pic of her to go with the profile, and have come to the realisation that her colour sceem is just awful >.>

Any advice on what might work better, given her personality that is?

cerra_colour_1_by_cherryrie-d3fo2pv.jpg

Thanks Skye :)

I could do with some advice from anyone who knows about the character I've been working on; Cerra Cirrus. I've finally maged to create a pic of her to go with the profile, and have come to the realisation that her colour sceem is just awful >.>

Any advice on what might work better, given her personality that is?

cerra_colour_1_by_cherryrie-d3fo2pv.jpg

it's not so much the color scheme as it is the exact tones of the colors you've chose. That orange and that purple are what is clashing. But what you have the purple is too cool, and the orange is too warm. But maybe a redder purple and a redder orange might get you better results? Or knocking the purple into the red spectrum entirely?

Horizontal gradients on pony manes just look weird to me:

mommysunbright-dancingbutterflies.jpg

But Hasbro has used similar color families to what you describe in your application and it is quite striking, you just need to settle on the exact colors that work together.

AlohaPearl_130_L_spoosh.jpgAugustGladiolus_130_L_mlpland.jpgDanceAround_130_L_sr.jpg

DanceSlippers_130_L_sr.jpgSunnyDazeII_130_L_spoosh.jpgHonoluloo_130_L_spoosh.jpg

180px-Lady_Light_Heart.jpg

She is lovely!

I'd never mistake her for Sweetiebelle. Sweetiebelle's hair is much more pink and girly. You could always introduce some periwinkle tones to tie it to her cutie mark if you are still feeling it is too close, though. Her hair would look just like those moments right after sunset when the sun has gone down completely.

Thanks everyone :)

I'll have a look at swaping out a few shades as you say Scotch, they're all on difrent layres so it'll be easy enough ^^,

cerra-duskycomparason-J.jpg

Origional on left and new on the right, any better? Think the blue could do with toning down a ? little:)

FINALY! Brain came out of its slump today and I finally managed to produce a cherry that doesn't look horribly disfigured. That being said I'm far from happy with it, something's up with both background hoofs and her expression doesn't look a serene as I'd like, but it's a start at least ^^

cherry_pony_sketch_by_cherryrie-d3g5zac.jpg

• 1 month later...

So! After finaly getting 'Sai' installed I was quite looking forward to trying it out... until I realised that installing this tablet on a 64bit pc got rid of all the problems it was experiancing before hand. I haven't spent this long doodling in weeks!! :D

Here's something that came out of it! I'm really happy with the look, there's plenty I can improve on but given the apauling quality of my work normaly I'm hopeing this is a sign that I may have broken my present slump! YAY DOODLES!

294 296

• 3 months later...