Business Lingo

Starfox64x

I can't help but dislike business lingo, You know, the words and phrases businesses use to sell their items... For example...

Best Resale Value: mostly used for cars and whatnot... Which means (to me) That when you want to sell this car, it will still have a good value because it's (supposedly) a good quality car. All i can think about is that they're saying "Hey, When you finally get tired of this car because it's not as good as you wanted and you want to upgrade to something better in two year's, it'll still have some value to it". If it's a good car, why would i want to sell it? I would only sell a car if it was bad, or would be bad in comparison to something a few years from now, and if you KNOW it's going to be bad in a few years, why not make it better than it is?

Buy one, get one Free: now, normally i think of this as a coupon, where when you purchase one, the price of the other is waived, which makes sense, but usually during sales, what stores do it cut the price of the BOGO items in half... So why not just say "These items are half off" Rather than making me believe i need to buy an even number amount of the item? Just tell me it's half off! It won't make me want to buy it any less.

ten for ten: Basically saying that it's buy ten for ten dollars, but again, it makes me think that i half to buy ten, when in fact, most stores just chop the price and you DON'T have to buy ten. So why not just say it's a dollar each? I actually argued with my grandmother about this "It says buy 5 for $5, it means you have to get five for the sale!" "No it doesn't, look!" "What? Well why the F would they call it that?" I lost the argument because of stupid sales ads...

I'm sure i'm just ranting, but surely some of you have heard some sales pitch that just seemed silly after you gave it some thought, right?

Buy one, get one Free: now, normally i think of this as a coupon, where when you purchase one, the price of the other is waived, which makes sense, but usually during sales, what stores do it cut the price of the BOGO items in half... So why not just say "These items are half off" Rather than making me believe i need to buy an even number amount of the item? Just tell me it's half off! It won't make me want to buy it any less.

With this one, I suspect it's because they have stock they want to shift. They don't want you to buy one for half price, because that leaves them with one more that they have to sell to someone else. If you buy two, they get rid of more of this stock. The reasons for this are either that they have too much and it's taking up space, or that the item simply isn't selling well and they don't want to throw it out until they've exhausted every other option (or at least until they break even).

That's my theory, anyway.

My least favorite. and HOLY crap do I hate this one because it is SO nonsensical, illogical and a stupid twisting of words that it makes my head hurt.

"If we can't beat any competitor's advertised price, we'll give you the car!"

No. You won't ever.

Does this sales tactic grab anyone but the ones with the least amount of common sense?

With this one, I suspect it's because they have stock they want to shift. They don't want you to buy one for half price, because that leaves them with one more that they have to sell to someone else. If you buy two, they get rid of more of this stock. The reasons for this are either that they have too much and it's taking up space, or that the item simply isn't selling well and they don't want to throw it out until they've exhausted every other option (or at least until they break even).

That's my theory, anyway.

But they DO let you buy one at half price, at my stores at least. That's all it is, they chop the price in half, and you dont HAVE to buy two for the sale... And people know this, It's just silly!

My least favorite. and HOLY crap do I hate this one because it is SO nonsensical, illogical and a stupid twisting of words that it makes my head hurt.

"If we can't beat any competitor's advertised price, we'll give you the car!"

No. You won't ever.

Does this sales tactic grab anyone but the ones with the least amount of common sense?

I havent seen that for a while, but yeah. they won't... They'll say you're making it up or something i bet... same with "If you find a lower price we'll GIVE you 2000 dollars!" or something... how much paperwork do you think you'd have to do to prove to them the price of that car?

selling-it-ov1.jpg

selling-it-ov7.jpg

:lol:

Double Lol.

My favorite is Price Matching.

Basically if EVERYTHING is identical right down to the UPC, they'll price match... maybe. OH and only of physical competitors. So no Amazon.

Yeah, i know about that... "Hey Amazon is selling it for $10 cheaper!" "We need a sales paper" "It's amazon... no slaes paper... I got it on my phone right now... you're looking at it." "Can't do it" :sniff: