Something Wicked... [Open]

FireDash

The sky started to darken, the sun fading away into night, a starless, eerie night, so silent you could hear the pounding of the ponies hearts as they stared up at the sky, dumbstruck. It was just past noon at around 1:00 P.M but a massive shadow had moved in, blocking out the sun. It was not a cloud, not an eclipse, just a thing blotting out the light.

Nightshade stared at it, forgetting to flap her wings as she gawked and nearly fell from the sky. She regained her balance and gasped. The shadow started to quiver, shimmering, rippling like ocean waves. In a sudden burst of what ould have either been bravery or curiosity, Nightshade bolted through the air, aiming for a ripple in the shadow, closing her eyes, getting ready for the impact and-

She broke free to the other side, a bright yellow sun beaming down on her black coat. She blinked, confused. "What the-"

And suddenly several shadowy beings shot across the sky, pulling a sort of gigantic banner with them, filled with star patterns, a bright full moon, aurora borialis somehow dancing across the synthetic sky like a stream of blue, red, green and purple fire. She gasped, mesmerized.

Several of the shadow creatures- who resembled Pegasi silhouettes with glowing yellow eyes, shot past Nightshade again. She spun out of control, back down through the shimmering shadow and into the sky below. She landed on a bridge, panting, looking around at the horrified and intrigued faces of the ponies all around her.

Suddenly a golden staircase appeared from the shadow-thing, stretching to the ground below. It sparkled and glowed with an eerie aura, making Nightshade nervous but oh-so curious.

A tall, male Alicorn with a shimmering silver coat, a deep blue-black mane and the same mysterious yellow eyes as the shadow ponies appeared a few steps from the bottom of the staircase.

"Welcome, ponies of Ponyville, to the most amazing experience of your life! I am the Grand Master of The Carnival Of Night, the most mysterious and amazing carnival there ever was, including rides, games, an outstanding Circus and magic you've never seen or heard of before. Dream Magic." He smiled, white teeth seeming to glow in the dim light. "Come and see for yourself, we welcome all but we will only stay for three nights and three nights only. After that, we leave, off to amaze and delight others. This is a once in a lifetime experience! Enjoy yourself, have a ball." And in a puff of smoke, he was gone.

The staircase glowed and the ponies hesitated. Suddenly, an earth filly raced up and trotted her way to the top, smiling from ear-to-ear. A Pegasus flew after her and a group of unicorns followed as well. Soon everypony was lining up to take the golden staircase up to the strange carnival. Was Nightshade the only one suspicious?

She realized, as a pretty major introvert, Nightshade had few friends she could call on to back her up. She sighed, looking around worriedly. She hoped this was just what it seemed; a mysterious and amazing experience at the world's greatest carnival... But why did she feel so uneasy?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cloud head the words being spoken by the alicorn, he had a bad feeling about this 'new magic'. He looked around in the sky and saw and saw a mare looking around, the only one besides him who wasn't rushing to see this 'amazing act'. He flew up to her. "Excuse me," He said politely, "My name's Cloud and I was just wondering; d-do you get a bad vibe from all of this?"

Snowy curiously listened to the alicorn and watched as the huge swarm of ponies crowded onto the golden stairs. Attempting to walk away, she ends up getting bummed rushed by another large group of eager ponies and finds herself being moved involuntarily up into the stairs. She attempted to fly out, but seeing as she was squished from all sides by other ponies, she was trapped. Uh-oh... She thinks to herself.

Nightshade was surprised when another pony approached her. She spun around quickly but relaxed when she realized that it was not some fearsome shadow creature or that mysterious alicorn. It was just another pegasus. She let out a sigh of relief. "I get a very bad vibe from all of this. It just doesn't seem right. Like something's hidden." She looked around at all the ponies racing up the stairs, eager to see the carnival. "You would think that something this 'amazing' would have been noticed before by somepony. I mean, this doesn't seem to be the first time the carnival has paid ponies a visit. It's strange nopony's ever heard of it before." She shook her head. "And this alicorn... who is he? Why haven't I ever heard of him before?" She knew those questions couldn't be answered but she was thinking aloud.

Cloud rubbed his head, "You're right, I've been all over and I've never even heard of this guy." Cloud's expression turned serious, "How can something as surprising as a 'new' form of magic escape the eyes and ears of Equestria?" He flew a little closer, "Look, I think we should stick together. I mean, we're the only ones who can see how weird this is, and I don't think either of us would be too safe on our own."

Snowy looked around. Why was everypony so excited about a carnival? And what exactly made this one so special? Although her curiosity was peeked about the whole situation, a slight twinge of uncertainty bubbled inside of her. She finally managed to squeeze out of the crowd and flew forward at an unsuspectedly fast speed, she wasn't able to stop herself fast enough before she flew into a pegasus that was further in front.

"You're right, I think-" Her thought was cut off by somepony flying into her from behind. Nightshade quickly turned around and held up her front hooves defensively. It took her a moment to see it was only another pony. "Aye, you scared me." She said, taking a deep breath, calming herself down. "Don't find this all that wonderful either, I see."

"Is it just me or what is with all this?Something here is not good.It's very suspisous!"

It was the voice of yet another pony, suspicious of this carnival. "Exactly. It, of course, could be nothing, I suppose... but I can't help but be skeptial of all this. It just seems so spontaneous, too spontanious. I think that alicorn's hiding something." She looked up at the shadowy figure still looming over the sky. She wondered if they should chek it out... if only to investigate.

Snowy rubbed her head and looked up to see the pony she had ran into. Her ears went down nervously and she began to back away "I-..I'm sorry.." She says in a quietly shy voice as she continued to back up, stopping when she bumps into cloaked pony and she quickly turns around, bows her head apologetically. "F-Forgive me..." She moved away a bit more and decided to just keep still. Being in overly crowded places made her extremely uneasy and uncomfortable.

"Okay, then." Cloud sighed, "It looks like this is too big for any ONE of us to handle, but if we work together, then I'm sure we can get to the bottom of this. Right?" He smiled warmly at Nightshade.

Nightshade agreed. "I think that would be best." She gazed upwards at the golden staircase and the shimering black shadow above. "I think we should check it out... but stick together, I think if you're alone, you're more likely to get sucked in." She paused. "I'm Nightshade, by the way."

Snowy looked around nervously. She was to far up to try and turn around and there wasn't enough space for her to be able to fly. She looked up ahead at the group of talking ponies in front of her.

Nightshade nodded. She looked up at the crowds of ponies going up the staires. "I think we should check this out... see for ourselves." She flew up to the staires, waiting for Dream Breeze and Cloud to follow. She knew she needed some support here. To be honest, she was also a bit scared.

Not wanting to blow a perfect opportunity, a small grey coated Pegasus filly with a short whine mane pounced on Dream's back, "I like your hairbow!", she shouted before shaking her head, "Er, I mean OoOoOoOoOoOoh! Scary ghost sounds! Chain rattle! OOooooooh!", she let out a chuckle before removing herself from the the pony.

"Good gravy, you're all a bunch of scaredy ponies! There's a carnival in town! As in fun rides, fatty foods and er....things.", she glanced over at Draco, "We are so hitting the funnel cake stand and then going on some of the rides! Maybe they have one of those 'Laugh in The Dark' places, or even bumper cars! Wahoo!", the little creature bounced around as wonderful images of overpriced fatty foods and dangerous carnival rides filled her little head.