[Ponyville] The Assistant [Open]

Xiee

dfSu6.jpg

[[ IMPORTANT: Please read this topic () first and ask all your questions there before you decide on joining this RP. ]]

Sitting on her desk in the office, she reviewed the recruitment note that was going to go on flyers and some posters around town. The Mayor made sure that the requirements were clear and direct to the point. Satisfied that everything is in order, she sends the recruitment note to the printers for the final printing which would hopefully done in a few hours. By the end of the day she'd have posters all over Ponyville for everypony to see.

Job Opening at Town Hall

Title: Executive Assistant to the Mayor

Requirements:A pleasing personality, highly organized, punctual and can work with little supervision. Must be highly motivated to work in a very stressful environment and be able to handle critical tasks with utmost efficiency. You must also be able to write daily reports and submit them regularly to the Mayor at the end of the day.

Pay: To be discussed when you meet qualifications.

Where: Mayor's Office, Town Hall

When: Starts at 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM.

Bring your two copies of your resume.

Writing down the recruitment note was one thing, but choosing the right pony for the job was another. She could tell that for the next few days, it was going to be a chore choosing the perfect assistant. She sighed as she looked at the clock on the wall. It was just about time for lunch so she left for her favorite Cafe near the marketplace. By the time she got back to the office, one of the printers informed her that they had already printed several posters and they were ready to be put up around town. She gave the go signal as a couple of worker ponies began to put up the posters in key areas around town in places like, outside the Town Hall, along the marketplace and some in the park.

The day ended without a hitch. All the posters and flyers were in place. The Mayor went home and prepared for the next day. It was going to be interesting to see how Ponies would react to her ads. She just hoped to find the right one and soon. The yearly audit was about to start and she needed an assistant soon.

The next day, having done her routine reports and other mayorly tasks, she waited for applicants to pour in. She sipped her coffee as she watched the clock on the wall strike one o'clock.

Geary Twist looked left and right nervously as he looked up at the gigantic town hall as he wondered what in the world he was thinking of doing this!! He was an inventor/craftspony and yet he was here to be an assistant to the mayor, which in all honesty he didnt even know that well. In fact, he didnt even know alot about her at all since whenever their was a town meeting of some kind that he was usually find himself locked away in his own little world, unaware of the events that were going on around him.

That was one of the reasons actually of why he was applying for the role because...well..he needed to make more friends/get out more. Being so wrapped up all day in his inventions was bad for him because it kept him away from reality, and therefore was extremtly unhealthy. "Than why not take the pills you invented so you wont feel this way" a part of his mind teased. "Because these artficial feelings of relaxation would not be real, and I refuse to keep doing that to myself"!! Determined to show that he was worthy of the job, he put down that he was free alot, studious because of his ability to create these inventions, and that he could be sociable.

That part he was lying to himself, but being honest with others because this was an oppertunity for himself to expand on his social skills. Who knew, he could probably become ponyvilles most socialble pony after this job was done with him!! Now he was definatly lying to himself, but he ignored it. Trotting inside city hall, he gently placed down the application that he had worked so hard on the front desk where it was supposed to be placed as he sat down in a chair to await being interviewd. He only hoped that he could get the job becuase he needed this. Not only to make some more bits so that he could fund any future inventions of his, but because he was sick of being a...a..what were those things called that lived underground and didnt socialize? Merlocks? Mylocks? He didnt know. Sitting quietly, he whistled nervously to himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Of all the ponies to apply for the Job, the Mayor didn't think that Geary would apply. She knew the inventor/mechanic for having a reputation of fixing and tinkering with things around the town. And there's also the issue of his not so successful inventions. But off all the other ponies she didn't expect to see him here. He was the first to show up and it seemed that he was the only one for today.

"My my..." She said as she trotted out of her office to the waiting area. "I didn't expect to see you here Geary. Looking for a change of pace I presume?"

The Mayor had her doubts. Geary wasn't the type who would happily trot up to any random pony and say hi unlike a certain pink pony that the whole town knew. However, she needed to be fair and give the stallion a chance. Who knows he might just have a knack for this kind of thing.

"Alright, come into my office."

She trotted back to her desk and sat on her comfy chair. She picked up a cup of tea and sipped some of it as Geary hesitantly sat on the chair in front of her table.

Smiling as he gave a weak nod in return towards the mare, he thought to himself "Alright Geary, everythings going to be just fine". To say that he was nervous, would be abit of an understatement, considering that his knees were shaking the entire time that he walked into the office. Slapping himself upside the head, he tried to forcibly stop himself from being nervous. Breathing slower and calmer, he nodded towards the Mayor as he slowly sat down. A rush of thoughts ran through his mind, as he tried to prepare himself for whatever questions that she would surely ask him. "What made you intersted in this position" she would ask. "Well, I felt a need to do something different with my life to where I could have a different change of pace. Its been mostly the same thing for me, and Im getting really tired of it soo..here I am trying to do something new". "How could you benefit this position" she would ask. "Well, I am very punctual and would always show up on time. I would help this position by getting down assigntments in record time, taking off alot of stress that might be felt here and therefore help the business out greatly". THinking this questions to himself, he looked up as he prepared himself for anything she might ask.

Harrington Sleuth walked into Ponyville, simply expecting to pass on through after a short while as he traveled in search of work. He didn't mind the thought of a permanent residence if the opportunity came about, especially since he already dragged his home behind him, which is exactly what crossed his mind as he read the advertisement the Mayor sent out. He looked over the requirements of the job and figured how he would fit each one as he set down his caravan to get a better look at the poster.

"A pleasing personality." I've got that.

"Highly organized." Definitely me. To a degree...hopefully high enough.

"Punctual and can work with little supervision." I'm a private eye. I either supervise in my work or I work alone.

"Must be highly motivated to work in a very stressful environment and be able to handle critical tasks with utmost efficiency." I'm a private investigator. Stress is something common in my line of work. Something I have to handle well to get anything done.

"You must also be able to write daily reports and submit them regularly to the Mayor at the end of the day." Shouldn't be too difficult.

Once he was sure of himself that he met the requirements, he approached what appeared to be Ponyville City Hall. It was noticeably bigger than all the other buildings in town and seemed official enough. He pulled his caravan out of the way, barely avoiding other pony traffic, before he found enough paper to write up his resume, grabbed a pen and hurried to draw up his resume since the poster also said applicants would only be welcome for the Mayor's consideration until 5:00 that day. It took about an hour, maybe longer, to write up everything he could think of to put down before he got out, pulled his caravan to another spot away from everypony, bolted it to the ground, locked the door and, with application in hoof, went into City Hall and set down his application before he took a seat. It seemed the Mayor was already meeting another applicant, so he waited patiently, resisting thoughts of listening in on the interview.

She was truly surprised to hear what Geary said. She had known him to not be the talkative type so this was a huge stride for him. Even though he didn't have much of the qualifications, the Mayor was willing to give everypony a chance. Especially those like Geary who wanted a break in life. She could clearly see the young stallion's nervousness through his speech so she let out a smile to ease up the tension in the atmosphere.

There was also another pony who was outside waiting. The flyers must have finally caught some attention. The Mayor contained her glee as she concentrated on interviewing Geary first.

"Try to relax Geary," she assured him. "Just be yourself and I'm sure you'll do fine in this interview."

"Okay Geary, so tell me about yourself and why you're pefect for this position?"

Smiling weakly, he responded "I will do so Mayor, though I guess its kinda obvious on how one can tell that I really am wanting this interview to go extremtly well" he laughed weakly as he ran a hoof nervously through his mane. Shrugging off his nervousness in an attempht to calm himself, he smiled as he responded "Okay well, Im an inventor/craftspony. I spend my time creating new inventions that could benefit Equestria. I do hit alot of dead ends at times, but I do manage to come out on top in the end and overcome whatever problem has placed itself before me. One of my most recent invetions was an electric charged toothbrush that can save ponies time of thier wrist from hurting and such". Chuckling, he spoke "Well, I believe Im perfect for the job because Im very punctual, and motivated towards getting the job done. I always take the extra mile so therefore, whatever I overcame will have been made better. I am capable of branching out and adapting to new enviorments, and am very dedicated towards my work" he finished.

Silence.

Mayor Mare was thinking on how she should reply to Geary’s statement. Just as she was about to open her mouth, the wooden doors leading to the office, opened with a slight creak. Then a white unicorn peered into the room. Both eyes were instantly glued to him. Percival quickly realized that an interview was already in progress.

“Sorry” He whispered as he quietly closed the door.

Slightly embarrassed, slipped back into the waiting area, and then he sat down next to a tall, red pegasus. Normally, he’d introduce himself, but due to the tension of the situation, he decided not to. Percival decided to occupy himself by reading over the application.

“A pleasing personality” Yep.

“Highly organized” Not sure, hopefully.

“Punctual” Bollocks! I hope my accent doesn't doom me

“Can work with little supervision” I usually work with a team, but I’m sure I’ll do fine alone

“Can work in stressful environments” I’m an army-medic, of course.

“Must write daily reports at the end of the day” Shouldn't be too difficult.

Percival shifted uncomfortably, he still had his ACU on, minus the helmet. And it was starting to get itchy. He really hoped that this interview would be over soon. Even though his first military tour has finished, he still lacked the necessary credits to enter medical school, so he must return for his second tour. He has already visited his family back in Trottingham, and now he needs to apply for a steady job near his military base around the Canterlot area. Ponyville seemed close enough for him. A sudden cold sweat broke out over his body, his uniform stated to get very uncomfortable. He hoped that this interview would finish up soon, but the least he could do is wait, and listen.

Geary was clearly nervous but there was some sort of enthusiasm into his speech. His sincerity and straightforwardness was something to be considered. The Mayor liked this particular attitude and nodded at his every reply. She was about to speak but another Pony came into her office and apologized for the interruption. Well now, two more to interview. This will be an interesting day indeed, she told herself. But now she had to finish Geary's interview.

"That's commendable Geary." She began to talk. "Dedication and wanting to experience something new to change your life is a trait that most employers look for. But that alone doesn't say who or what you are entirely."

She stood up and opened a drawer on her desk, pulling out a piece of paper with her mouth and laid it in front of Geary. She momentarily caught Geary's eyes that clearly gave away that he wasn't sure what was coming next.

"That's a simple assessment exam." She said as she pointed to a desk on the other side of the office. "Please take time to read and answer the questions and essay at the end. Take your time, there's no rush.

She trotted towards the other two applicants who were patiently waiting. One of them looked oddly busy pondering over his application. The other was clearly a Military Pony. What an interesting group of applicants today.

"Next pony please!"

Geary smiled lightly in response, pleased that he was being given a chance to get this job since he really needed a change of place as fast as he could!! He had to admit, that he was really nervous throughout the interview, constantly worried that in some way he was gonna screw in some way and make things even worse/making a foal outta himself. He was pleased that things had gone so well for him as he nodded in thanks to the mayor. Nodding to what she said about it help, but dosent show who he really is: he said "I know who I am yes, but your right I need to tell more about myself". Being handed some papers to fill out as he looked over the assement, he trotted out the door and took a seat again in the hall; watching as the next pony went in. "Hmmm" he thought to himself idealy as he looked over the assement; and started to fill out to the best of his ability; being honest with himself about his strengths, weaknesses. His likes and dislikes. What he aspirted to be in life, and what his general plan was for life itselt. "Hmmm" he mused as he contiued.

Harrington jumped when the Mayor called for the next pony in line, realizing it was him. He settled for a moment before he walked into the Mayor's office, carrying his application that he proofed and double-checked before he placed it on her desk and stepped back, tucking in his wings as he noticed nervous fidgets out of them.

"Well, hello...Mayor." He tipped his top hat, one he chose for the formal occasion at hoof. "Pleased to make your acquaintance. I am Harrington Sleuth of Baltimare, travelling private investigator by trade, but willing to settle into a more permanent position if necessary." He adjusted his top hat as it slid to the side a little when he placed it back on his head. "What questions might you have for me to answer?" He started pondering over some of the questions the Mayor would ask him such as reasons he was suited for the job and how he fit the characteristics outlined in the flyer.

Just keep calm. You're an investigator. You've dealt with worse things and higher powers than an interview with a mayor...unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

"Pleased to meet you Mr. Sleuth." She said with a smile. "Please have a seat and let me take a look at your resume."

As she scanned the resume, she was surprised as to why a detective would love to do boring officework as an assistant. Clearly he had motivations to do so but she would find out as she interviewed him. Some of his credentials were perfect for the job but the Mayor feared that this might be just a passing fancy for the stallion since he traveled around a lot.

"That's an impressive resume Mr. Sleuth." She said as she put the paper down on her desk. "Tell me, what is it that motivates you to move on?"

It was a simple question, but at the same time a trick question. She wasn't sure what the detective would answer but judging from his past experiences, it would be something unusual or unheard of in daily life. Still she wanted to know what made him tick.

"Also while you're at it, why did you decide to apply to become my assistant? Surely you have better work out there than just sitting around all day doing paperwork?" She added.

Harrington intently listened to the Mayor as she started the interview proper. He noticed a hint of confusion in her face as she looked over his resume. Probably wondering why a private eye would want a desk job. She started with a couple of questions and remained calm as he began his answers.

"What motivates me to move on, Miss Mayor, is the duty to other ponies to work for them. Whether it be out there aiding them in their search for answers or in here serving them by helping their government. Anypony who needs my help is certainly welcome to bring me along to help them in any way I can."

A sensible answer, he thought. It certainly came out well enough.

"As for my reasons to become your assistant...I may have better work out there, but I haven't seen much of it recently. That's also a reason why I've been around here more often...I went on a trek into the Everfree Forest with a few mares the last time I was here. It was quite an adventure, but one I probably would not have taken had I been...well, busy with things other than traveling Equestria."

He paused for a few moments to collect his thoughts, primarily now about why he wanted to become the Mayor's assistant rather than tell her why the life of a private eye wasn't going so well for him two years in.

"Besides, my goal in life is to one day work as a Royal Investigator for the Princess, and what better way to acquaint myself with government work than to work for the government? Experience would really help if I'm going to get that far. I deduce the line of duty I aspire to attain will likely require paperwork anyhow, and this seems like a good place to start for as long as I can be here."

Okay, doing fine. Just keep at this...keep giving steady answers. Honest answers.

Hmmm not bad, she told herself. He seemed to have the confidence and truth in his eyes. So this was a stepping stone for him to becoming a Royal Investigator. She guessed that everypony had to start somewhere.

"That's very commendable." She fixed her glasses. "I'm just surprised that this is your motivation. Very few ponies stop to think of serving the crown no matter what level, but you don't seem to mind starting from the bottom. That's a good start. Who knows maybe you'll be Mayor someday too."

She opened her desk and reached for some papers. She hoofed it over to Sleuth.

"Please take the time to answer these simple questions. It's the standard aptitude exam so just do your best." She pointed over at the long desk where Geary was seated. He was still busy with his own test. "Have a seat next to Mr. Geary. When you're done just leave the paper on my desk and go back to your seat. Once I'm done with the last applicant today, I may make my decision on who to hire."

There was one more applicant. The soldier pony, from the looks of it. He had his uniform on and was oddly quiet. She motioned to him with her hoof.

"Next."

The Mayor's voice jolted him awake, he'd nearly fallen asleep! Lucky for him, Mayor Mare failed to notice. Percival collected his papers into his portfolio, double-checking to see if all of his application papers were in order. Then, Percival jumped to his feet. And he nearly toppled over from the unexpected weight of his armor. He took a moment to collect himself, and levitating his application at his side, he silently opened the door to Mayor Mare's office.

​"G'day Mayor, me name is Percival, Percy for sho't" Percy cringed at his blatant accent, and quickly tried to correct it. "Er, I mean, good day Miss Mayor, My name is Percival, but you can call me Percy. Percy's voice sounded unnatural, and rather forced from his accent. But he continued anyways.

"I am currently serving as a Private First Class in the Royal Equestrian Army as a medic, as you can see from my right foreleg" Percy outstretched his right foreleg, showing a white armband, decorated with a red cross.

"So I do have some First-Aid experience, if that makes any difference, and I am serving in the 1st Battalion in Canterlot, and I will be returning for my second tour in November" Percy decided to end there, and prepared himself to answer any question that the Mayor might ask.

Harrington nodded to the Mayor before he took the test from her desk.

"Thank you again for having me for this interview."

He walked out, making way for the next pony. He sat next to the pony he assumed was Geary as he was the only one at the desk taking the same test he was about to start. He took up a pencil from nearby, set the exam down and started the test himself. He turned his chair and his test away from Geary to make it more difficult for either of them to cheat and prevent suspicion of cheating. His true aptitudes would show through at some point, anyhow, regardless of how apt he seemed on paper.

Of all the applicants she had so far, Percy was probably the most unusual. Now why would a soldier in the REA want a lowly job as an assistant? What would happen when he is suddenly called by his commanding officer and he had to leave? She motioned for the stallion to have a seat and couldn't help but notice the forced accent in his voice.

"It's alright Percy..." She smiled. "You don't have to hid your accent from me. Talk the way you normally do. It's easier that way yes?"

Honestly, the Mayor did not know how to begin asking questions. She had never talked to a service pony like this before and was wondering what his motivations were for wanting to be an assistant. She gave the resume a quick review then glanced at him. She lifted the cup of coffee on the table in her hooves and took several sips before she began to talk.

"I'd have to say, this is going to be a rather interesting interview." She said as she placed the cup down on the desk. "I was never expecting a soldier to take interest in becoming my assistant."

Shifting her glasses she stood up from the table and paced around, momentarily checking on Geary and Sleuth then coming back to Percy.

"Now why would a soldier like you want to be my assistant? Surely with your skill set, especially being a medic, you'd do more good at the Ponyville Hospital. So what stuck you to decide to take this boring desk job if I may ask? Let's say I hire you, what of your other duties to the crown? What if your commanding officer suddenly calls you to report for duty?"

The questions seemed harsh and direct to the point, but she figured out that being a soldier had hardened him to questions like that. She was more curious personally to know why he wanted this job. Having a soldier as an assistant would prove useful since they're rather obedient, punctual and direct to the point, but first she needed to figure out the motives of this young stallion.

Prime stood in front of the entrance to the office, he had noticed the posters around town and decided that this was as good an opportunity as any in his situation. He had written up a resume last night and had managed to clean himself up pretty well thanks to a friendly pony he had met on his way through town.

Name: Prime meridian

Experience: contract work, negotiation, public affairs, general knowledge of most trades.

Other: is able to take care of most paper work with relative ease and I am familiar with political relations.

‘That seems pretty good,’ he thought to himself, he didn’t have any problems with writing and he had to deal with people all the time in his line of work. Now confident he was prepared, he entered into the room and sat down quietly waiting.

Heart Song Stared at the poster, hesitating. Assistant to the mayor? It was hardly musical, but then, it was a job. And besides, I may need a break from music, as a career, at any rate. She’d returned to Ponyville, her hometown, to see her family and start over, and here was an opportunity to at least try for a steady job. The pastel-pink earth pony scanned the list of requirements.

"A pleasing personality." Well, if my friends are to be believed, then yes…

"Highly organized." Oh. Yes.

"Punctual and can work with little supervision." I’m a singer/music teacher. Most times I’m my own supervision. Punctual? You have to be, in my line of work.

"Must be highly motivated to work in a very stressful environment and be able to handle critical tasks with utmost efficiency." I’m not sure about his one…Never really been tested, but I’d try to do my level best.

"You must also be able to write daily reports and submit them regularly to the Mayor at the end of the day." I never did mind writing assignments...

“There’s no reason to be frightened," she reminded herself as she trotted to the mayor’s office, reviewing her resume. Of course, her resume was a performer’s resume, but hopefully she could convince the mayor that being a music teacher/performer was actually good experience for a position like this.

Heart sat, resume beside her, waiting for the call to go in and talk with the mayor. I wonder if she’ll remember me? I was pretty young when I moved to Canterlot…

The sight of two more ponies seem to delight the Mayor a bit. She hadn't expected the turnout to be great for the first day alone. She had to finish her interview with Percy first before she could go out and greet the new comers.

This was unexpected to say the least. With the way the hiring was going she could tell that there was a potential candidate among the bunch. The two ponies waiting outside seemed like to have a story of their own. She couldn't wait to talk to them as well. Hiding her glee, she paid attention to Percy as he began to answer her questions.

"So Percy..." where were we? "Ah the questions yes. Please do continue and forgive me for the interruption."

• 2 weeks later...

(( I'm terribly sorry, the notifications never well, notified me about this, and I completely forgot about this thread.))

"I knew yer'd ask that ma'am" Percival responded, not holding his accent back. He continued with a slight upbeat of his voice, as if he is starting a story.

"Yer see, my commandin' officer told me that I might be promoted ter the Corporal rank for me next tour" Percy cleared his throat. Sound good enough so far. He took a brief pause as he recollected the rest of his explanation. "And'e said that I need t' work on me' organization an' logical skills before 'e will deem fit ter' promote me, so 'e sent' me ere'"

Percy sunk down into his seat once more, and waited for the Mayor's reply. He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. The once annoying, jarring pain form his armor, turned into agony. The unicorn hoped that this interview would be over with, so he could go out for a nice run.

"Hmmm rather unusual..." The Mayor paused. "But I can see where he's coming from."

The Mayor sat and thought about the benefits of having a military pony on board. He was used to being ordered around seemed like the ideal thing for her when she started barking orders herself. Also his training would prove him to be disciplined and patient so he seemed to be very ideal for this job. However, if he was about to use this for training in organization, that would mean he lacked the skills. Still the Mayor wanted to see how serious he was.

"However, what if you suddenly got called back for orders?" She asked, direct to the point. "That would leave me without an assistant.."

Percival was a bit taken-aback from the Mayor's statement. He could see that the Mayor didn't know much about the military. The only way Percy would be called back in service after his tour-of-duty, is in an event of a national emergency. Like, a dragon burning down half of Equestria emergency. Nonetheless, he replied in the politest way he could.

"Oh, yer shouldn't worry bout' that ma'am" He chuckled slightly "I'm bloody well not scheduled for me service until November 21st"

Percy paused. Was it really the 21st that he was scheduled back in Canterlot?

Crap!

"Er, right, I mean 12th" He blurted out, like a simple date mix-up could cost him his interview.

Percy sunk back in his seat. He really did need to simmer down.