Your Favourite Fanfics?

BaconofChaos

I did a search and couldn't find any topics like this, which was surprising really. Anypony got some fan fiction they'd like to share? I don't normally read fanfics, though thanks to ED I often find myself checking them out occasionally, and I'll admit that there are some gems in there.

Memories of Those Friends Who've Gone Before Us is pretty damn awesome and thought-provoking too.

Cargo Cult is a silly comedy parody of /co/. As is Ponies Discover /co/. Both of which are a good laugh.

Poisoned Sugar is a Doctor Who(oves) crossover story. It's a little... dark in places but still a good read.

Got any good stories?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm always looking forward to read fanfics, but there's so many i don't know where to start, so I'll be sure to read some of these ;) I would like to read more Grimdark, Sad, and maybe shipping

I haven't read many, but so far my favorite is: Bubbles

I cried with this one, seriously, it was night and my dad walks in while I'm reading it with tears in my eyes, good thing I turned off the lights, so I think he didn't see me well :D

I've read Worlds Apart and to be honest I'm torn.

When I first started reading, I wanted to murder the author for crimes against the English language, but there was just enough interesting description in the world for me to keep reading. The world building is rock-solid and the fact that the author successfully bridged G1 and G2 and somehow wove a complex plot line together into the MLP universe is truly something to behold. Still the Grammar Nazi in me rages against the atrocious spelling, strange wording, and lack of complex sentences, which really mar what would otherwise be an awesome story.

I generally avoid anything tagged Grimdark or Sad. I don't think there's anything wrong with that but I like MLP 'cos it makes me happy.

Your links were broken so I've fixed them in the quote. They sounds rather interesting, though I'm not sure I really have time to read several hundred chapeters x_x. Also I have no knowledge of anything pre-FiM so I'm rather wary.

Memories of Days Long Past is my favourite right now. Cupcakes is a close second.

Cupcakes? REALLY? :| Well, to each their own, I guess. I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole.

Days Long Past sounds interesting though. Might give it a go.

Not really sure about MLP:FIM fanfics... there's a lot of good ones out there but I can't decide which one's the best.

Of older ponyfics... Cast Shadows by Marbletoast (completely original fan-verse with a dose of grimdark) and Birth of Dreams by DarkCrescent (a pre-history of the G1-verse).

I have two really long ones from the same person I believe. there really great but I think one takes place in G2 and another in an alternate world.

Royal Destiny

Worlds Apart

I'm fairly certain those are by two different authors.

Worlds Apart... epic length but let's be honest, serious Sue-age on the lead character (that said, despite the Sue-dose the writer has also done some brilliant art based on her fanfic). And I wouldn't be suprised if the Brony-horde would form a lynch mob over the preemptive use of the name "Princess Luna" on said Sue.

Twilight Sky Over Canterlot. Go read. NOW *flutterstare*

Seriously though, it's a beautiful story and very well written. It's also written in 1st person, which you don't see often.

Of course if you want something a little lighter (and hilariously funny) then go read Do You Really Want To Know? (direct link this time, simply because the ED tags and comments have spoilers)

Just read cupcakes yesterday and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Everyone was going on and on about how bad it was but it seemed like fairly standard horror stuff to me. I will admit that I thought that Pinkie Pie was kind of adorable with her sillyness though.

@Systemdertotem

I'm curious as to what you enjoyed so much about it, if you care to share. As I've said, it seems like fairly standard stuff to me.

EDIT: before anyone jumps to conclusions about me I should probably explain myself. The reason why I was unaffected in any emotional way by the story "Cupcakes" was because I didn't believe the reality it was presenting. I felt that Pinkie's psychosis was a stereotype of what writers think that psychosis is and not a reality. I have to believe something to be moved by it so, to me, the story was just a silly time-waster.

Just read cupcakes yesterday and I have to say that I was a little disappointed. Everyone was going on and on about how bad it was but it seemed like fairly standard horror stuff to me. I will admit that I thought that Pinkie Pie was kind of adorable with her sillyness though.

@Systemdertotem

I'm curious as to what you enjoyed so much about it, if you care to share. As I've said, it seems like fairly standard stuff to me.

EDIT: before anyone jumps to conclusions about me I should probably explain myself. The reason why I was unaffected in any emotional way by the story "Cupcakes" was because I didn't believe the reality it was presenting. I felt that Pinkie's psychosis was a stereotype of what writers think that psychosis is and not a reality. I have to believe something to be moved by it so, to me, the story was just a silly time-waster.

Well, brushing aside the obvious stigma of it being a rather overrated, gory horror story, I like it for the same reason I like death metal; It allows me to immerse in an evil vision of the world, or in this case, Equestria. I like the inner naughty feeling of enjoying something that repulses everypony else.

Sure, it isn't great, it is rather silly if you look back, but, it's Cupcakes. It's infamous, and I enjoy it as a guilty pleasure.

Actually, there is a much better Grimark story involving Twilight vs. humans some where in DeviantArt, but I forgot to fave it. :roll:

EDIT: Nevermind, found it: The Hoofwich Horror

@Systemdertotem

That makes sense, though, personally, I prefer a story that I can relate to. Being sliced up while your still alive so that a maniac can use your flesh to make cupcakes is just something that I've never had to deal with so it doesn't really appeal to me.

As for the main topic, I've actually got a proper answer now. My favorite fanfic is Rejection by Hawksyu (http://www.equestriadaily.com/2011/03/s ... ction.html). Although I felt the ending was a little rushed, I never expected fanfiction to be THIS good. After I read it my eyes started watering, and I thought that it must have been because I was tired but I later realised that I was actually crying. This story has convinced me that fanfiction is worth my time.

• 4 weeks later...

THREAD NECROMANCY! RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

So I've read a few more fics I enjoyed recently.

Misted Stage. MLP meets Arabian Nights meets Doctor who. Starring Braeburn. If that hasn't gotten your attention I don't know what will. It's a good fun story with action, adventure, romance, drama, suspense, Pinkie Pie, everything! The author was very happy to know that I was gonna reccommend it to others. ^^

Forever and Beyond Forever. Read the first and be sad. Then read the sequel and be happy. It's a good feeling. Not much more to say, other than it's rare to see a fic that stars Photo Finish. Part two also has Octavia. :3

Paradise. Oh, Gods my heart! Don't let the "Normal" tag fool you. It has its Sad and Grim moments. This story filled my mind for a solid week or two after reading it. I have felt genuine emotions reading this fic; happiness, sadness, anger, fear. Oh my word and it's not even complete.

I'm was pretty sure there were a couple of others that I've read lately but I can't think of them right now :/

• 2 weeks later...

tangled up in blues is the best mlp story i've read

midnight shadow's sadfics, bad dreams and the creature that came to ponyville are very good

somewhere only we know, second impressions and a study In rainbows were good; for some reason i remember carousel being just okay but not exactly what it could have done better

of the unfinished ones (or ones i haven't finished), the lingering nightmare and silent ponyville are enjoyable; tabluna rasa and to trot a mile In another's hooves sound interesting

if the chicacolt code ever updated i'd be all over it

btw and then she exploded twice is hooves down the most hilarious thing ever