Wrapping Up Winter Wrap-up (Ponyville, Open)

Blueblood

At last, it was done!  The last of the snow had been shoveled aside, the winter doldrums banished with the winter weather, and all the groundwork laid for a springing of Spring!  Once again, Ponyville had a right to be proud of itself, and all the ponies that had pitched in to help the town keep up its old tradition of wrapping up winter the earth pony way... and it's new tradition of getting it all done on time!

Thus, once Celestia's sun gave way to Luna's moon on the final day of the event, many were inclined to celebrate.  Ponies (and other volunteers) who didn't immediately go home, therefore, congregated at the Watering Hole, Ponyville's premier salt bar.  It also provided cider, a dance floor, and good cheer to all those who came to enjoy its hospitality; and was large enough to serve the whole town, if you didn't mind getting acquainted with your neighbors!

As far as venues went, though, it was considerably more rustic than the sort you would expect to find somepony like Prince Blueblood.  But then, you wouldn't have expected him to participate in a small-town's Winter Wrap-Up at all.  Which, in turn, was why he had done it.  After all, if your reputation is unfavorable, surely the best way to repair it would be to do the opposite of what it predicts?

That was the theory, anyway.  The results in practice had been... mildly successful, insofar as he had come across as a stallion ready to lend a hand and not too proud to work.  As for the actual value of his contribution... well, it was better than nothing, but not something to buff up one's standing with the common pony.  But that was alright, because the Prince had a surefire backup plan, one that had never failed to get a crowd on his side.  He walked straight into the bar and announced, in a loud, stentorious voice:

"Tonight, all the drinks are on me!"

If he couldn't earn a good reputation, at least he could afford it!

2nVY1oEm.jpg

The first pony in was a mare with an irritated and confused look on her face. She wore a red bandana on her head and a pair of Goggles. One her body she wore a waist coat that was partly concealing her cutiemark partly as she strolled in.

The events in the Wrap up had left her still conflicted by the charity of the citizens of ponyville and canterlot that came to help her in this trying time as she tried to get back home. What did they stand to gain? Was it purely for the emotional satisfaction of getting involved with another so that it increase the likelihood of their survival by sticking together? Bevel was still not sure what this all meant, but what was driving her mad for today was the fact she couldn't settle at all on how she felt about it; she was genuinely thankful for the food and assistance with her creation of the clockwork golem currently doing a lookover of her ship, but then she couldn't help but feel her pride being immensely wounded by a group of creatures who from a certain point of view she could only think of as pitying her position now.

As she tried desperately to sort out her thought she was jarred out of it momentarily as she looked to the random Blonde stallion who spoke up about drinks being on him. "Merci, étranger. I hope you are good for it." She said in a matter of fact manner as she walked past and towards the counter. "Vodka Soda, She said to whoever was behind the bar counter.

(Fancy translation: Thanks, Stranger.)

'Good for it?'  Did this mare not know who he was!?

Apparently not, judging by her reaction.  "I don't recall seeing you here before, but then, I'm not exactly local myself."  He addressed her, a little non-plussed, given that Blueblood wasn't sure if she wanted to talk at all.  "I am Prince Blueblood of Canterlot, here to..."  He paused.  Did he really want to explain the reason that he was here?  Especially to a perfect stranger who might not have even heard of the bad reputation he was trying to blot out.  "...help."  He finished, a little lamely.

"What'll you have, then?"  The bartender asked, apparently unfazed by his Royal Presence.

"A tall cider."  The Prince responded tersely, taking his own seat at the bar.

2nVY1oEm.jpg

There was a full pause for a moment before the mare's eyebrow raised up slightly, "Equestria has princes?" The mare thought a moment before looking the stallion over, "Are you related to Princess Celestia? she's the only princess who has a coat remotely similar to your own." The bartender took a drink of her beverage and looked back to the prince. "Excuse my lack of Decorum, I hardly consider myself an Equestrian." The mare took a few steps away from the bar and bent a knee on a foreleg to kneel to the blonde unicorn.

"Je m'excuse for not knowing your name. I haven't bothered to memorize the names of any of your royalty with the exception of Celestia for my time spent in her school." A faint blush came to her face for moment as another name came to mind, "And thanks to recent events, the newest princess:Twilight sparkle." The mare loosened her bandana and goggles, letting them fall to meet her coat's collar. "Are you the only other member of the nobility nearby to show up, that's rather ... charitable of you." From how the mare spoke it was only partly obvious she may have meant that as a compliment, in another way her tone reflected curiosity as if she wondered what he sought to gain from this when other nobleponies of lower position were busy doing... whatever the hay it was they did in Canterlot nowadays.

"I am Bevel, Bevel Gear." She extended a hoof slightly tentatively to the prince. Her bright but wary yellow eyes focusing on him and glancing back down to her hoof every few seconds.

Crusader stood by quietly. Professionally dressed in her usual heavy golden armor. She was sitting on the ground, and easily standing high enough to slightly pass Blueblood’s height… who was properly seated. She had her shield out, and propped up on the ground. Her forehooves resting on it’s top while her head remained dipped down, and her eyes closed.

She was holding a relaxed expression, appearing to be meditating in a small trance. However, that didn’t appear to mean that she wasn’t the observant type. Oh no, her ear flicked and turned to every sound in the bar. It’ll be a bad day for whom ever decides to set her off by accidently breaking some glass.

She did open her eyes just briefly when she heard the Prince talking to some pony. She held a dim look as she looked carefully at Bev, studying her with piercing eyes. Eyes that were looking for hidden weapons and motives. But eventually they did widen when she recognized the pony as a cousin. She snapped out of her trance and silently straightened up as she observed the two.

The mare's bluntness was weapons-grade and primed for ego-deflation.  Many ponies would have said that was exactly what the doctor, or Auntie, had ordered for Blueblood, but that didn't stop him from internally bristling under it's fire.  "Why yes," He said, slowly and deliberately, "We do.  I... am sort of related to Celestia.  She's a kind of adopted Aunt from me, but the title comes down from the pre-unification days."  

Given Bevel's demonstrated lack of knowledge, it wasn't much of a surprise to the Prince that she wasn't exactly Equestrian.  What was surprising was that she actually knelt before him!  True, that also showed that she was quite unfamiliar with goings-on in Equestria, but that was less relevant to the stallion.  Whether or not she lacked decorum, she could hardly have chosen a better gesture to pour oil on the troubled waters.  Much ameliorated, he reached out to take her hoof, and kissed it like a proper gentlecolt.

"Ah, so you were here to visit our newest Princess?"  He asked with interest.  "Was this in an official capacity or... a personal visit?"  He raised an inquisitive eyebrow, having noticed the slight blush from earlier.  He wouldn't have thought it himself, but then again, Twilight did have the most eclectic group of friends...

He turned as the bartender brought his drink, noticing that Star's eyes had widened in a kind of recognition.  "Oh?  Do you know her, Star?"  He turned back to the other mare to give a quick introduction.  "Ah, Bevel, this is Star Crusader, my honor guard.  Have... you met before?"

Red Cedar walked, albeit a little wearily, into the pub, one of Ponyville's few, after a long day's work. It had been more taxing than he thought it should have been, but he was certain at least some of that was due to things that had nothing to do with snowplowing fields or pulling up weeds. No, once again was the reminder that not everypony was on board with the mission in life he and his fillyfriend had taken on.

Speaking of whom, Red held the door open for Naj with a smile. At least now, he hoped, while everyone else was relaxing after the day was done and Winter had been made to give way for Spring, that the two of them could do the same.

He expected some revelry at the end of the day would be normal, even if it was rather subdued due to tired muscles and bodies, but even so Red was quite surprised when he heard the words "Tonight, all the drinks are on me!"  announced loud and clear throughout the tavern.

A smile that crossed Red's lips as he considered that phrase soon turned downward again when he saw just who made the offer. None other than His Highness himself. Red began to wonder if that meant the offer was still open, considering the last time he had encountered the Prince right here in this very town at the side of this very changeling beside him. Quickly deciding to make the best of it, he said quietly to Naj, "Guess we'd better take him up on his offer before he changes his mind," before trotting to the bar and saying, "Two ciders, please."

2nVY1oEm.jpg

Bevel's eyes were closed for a few seconds after she'd returned to her normal posture, but they quickly shot open as her hoof was taken and then kissed. Was this some sort of tradition that was poopular in equestria. Normally she might have snapped at the individual responsible for kissing her hoof... but given who it was and the presence of the well built mare at her side she could force a smile that couldn't have been more fake looking. It was a sorta of smile that implied the one making it... didn't really smile all that often and her facial muscles had somehow forgotten what it was like showing teeth in a pleasant context rather than baring them. "The... p-pleasure's all miiiine...." She stammered out. 

When her hoof was released she tried not to seem like she was sighing in relief and looked down at her coat. Her horn lit up momentarily and a small case containing a pair of spectacles were brought out, opened and put back before the glasses then laid squarely on her muzzle. When the question came she paused for a moment, glancing down at the floor," It's a complicated matter, but I went to try and meet her through this... consort audition she had and I needed the chance to speak to someone who may even be the least bit close to my intellectual equal... so I went and brought a gift. The encounter ended with her... kissing my cheek for some reason. I doubt it will lead anywhere, I'm not important enough to register on the radar of royal so I won't dwell on it further." The mare was still... unsure as to why this was the appropriate response to being given a gift to a pony she only just met.

"And actually I'm here because my airship got impaled on the highest spire of her castle and when it was removed it.. broke in two and I am stuck in town trying to fix her." The mare's monotonous manner dropped a moment as she seemed to faintly choke back something once she finished speaking, but quickly moved on to another topic.

The Prince's introduction of his honorguard and the introduction of his honorguard did get a much more notable reaction from the mare. Her eyes went wide for a moment before she stepped up forward and looked up and down. "Starbreezer's daughter? Recolte Sainte..." She said, practically agasp, "Well... you've ... grown a lot." She coughed into her fetlock.

Naj trudged through the door to the watering hole, mumbling her thanks to her coltfriend as he held the door for her.  Between the emotional drain that seemed to be common lately with her visits to Ponyville, and reflecting on a few of the things said that were said, she wasn't paying attention to much of anything.  Until she found herself a stool anyways.  Plopping herself onto the seat with a sigh, she finally had a chance to look around.

She didn't really see anyone she recognized.  There was a unicorn she knew from her last time in Ponyville that- Naj shook her head.  That wasn't something she should need to worry about, at least not yet.  Chances are she and that particular unicorn would be keeping their distance from one another, so there should be nothing to worry about.  Instead she let her attention wander over to guard seated near him, in what looked to Naj like full battle gear.  That sparked the disguised changeling's curiosity.  Was the guard after someone?  Off duty, and in for the wrap up like everypony else?  Was this a part of her patrol?  Naj resisted the urge to walk up to the guard and ask questions, happy to just speculate at the moment while she unwound.  Not too long ago the presence of a royal guard might have sent her running, and while she no longer felt threatened in the same way she still thought it was better to not go around bugging them.

Naj giggled to herself when she realized the pun she'd accidentally thought.

"Tonight, all the drinks are on me!"
It took Naj a moment to realize who was speaking, and a small part of her mentally added 'bodyguard' to the list of things the guardspony could be doing, if the white unicorn was that well off.  But more importantly, free drinks!  Red was off to grab a pair for them, before that unicorn realized just who he'd be buying drinks for, leaving Naj alone for a moment.  “Who could say no to an offer like that?” she called back with a grin, but by the time she'd said it the unicorn who'd made the offer had already struck up a conversation with a mare.  Naj felt she should leave them to it, and turned back to studying the guard while she waited for her coltfriend to return.

A puff of black smoke roiled briefly, then solidified with a soft 'whoosh' into a blue-coated guard in full armor. He was standing at attention and giving a respectful salute, fully intending to debrief the guard he was meant to join. Unfortunately, he had only seen one picture of Star Crusader, and that had been taken from an observation deck. Subsequently, Licorice Whip appeared in the only position that afforded him a view of her from that angle: outside, through a skylight, and several feet above the ground. He then demonstrated that unicorns are, in fact, susceptible to gravity, and that full armor can make a lot of noise when its wearer finds the ground.

Not his most graceful entrance, for certain, but the stallion merely stood and brushed himself off, then entered the establishment and waited for the Prince's current guard to acknowledge or question his presence. In spite of his tumble, he was well-groomed and well kempt, as he should be, and he wore an expression of detached professionalism. He would, however, likely need to have the dent knocked out of his barding once he was off shift.

His teal eyes swept around the bar before he took up a position just inside the door. Clearly Crusader could and was handling the Prince on her own, so he assumed he was going to be doing the more general sort of guarding.

Hm, even now, Blueblood could make a mare stammer and blush.  That was... rather encouraging, it its way.  On the other hoof, there was something disturbingly familiar about that particular mannerism that niggled at the back of the Prince's mind...  Also, the glassy smile.  Quite unsettling.  

The stallion wasn't able to pin down his impression, however, before the conversation moved on, to a rather juicy topic, too.  "A consort audition?"  Blueblood asked, semi-incredulously.  As a concept, it was hard to believe... but for Twilight Sparkle?  It was plausible, distinctly plausible.  "I'm going to need to have a word with her..."  He said to himself, as he listened to the rest of Bevel's story.  "Oh, tough luck."  The unicorn tutted sympathetically at the tale of her wreck.  "I've run aground myself several times, holed on reefs, and at one point drove a yacht right through the center of a pier, back when I was still learning how to sail.  One gets better in time."  He sipped his cider, thoughts turning once again to Bevel's meeting with Twilight, and the kiss... was that significant?  He didn't recall her as being the sort to give out kisses to just anypony.  "Of course, one must also consider the possibility that she rarely has a chance to talk with her intellectual equals." *I know for darned sure I'm not one of them* "I think she appreciated it as much as you."

Ah, it seemed she and Star did know each other!  From way back too, if that was any indication.  In fact... "Say, Miss Gear, you wouldn't happen to be-

*CRASH-CLANG!*

Blueblood whinnied, almost flying out of his barstool at the sudden sound of Licorice Whip hitting the ground.  The cider glass jumped in his grip, spilling its contents all over him.  "Gah... what was that?"  He growled irritatedly, sweeping the bar with his gaze for any clue.  As the newly-arrived guard had already taken up his position, Blueblood couldn't tell for sure that it was him.

Crusader gave a small nod to Bevel as she said the name of her Mother. Yes, it was good to see that her cousin still remembered her. Even though her face remained firm in it’s fixture, she was positively beaming on the inside about seeing a family member that she hadn’t seen since she was a foal.

But of course, the reaction she received was something she expected. When they were younger, they were nearly the same size. Crusader just happened to hit a growth spirt…. Annnd also demolished a Gym on her way to the REA’s ranks.

Crusader’s leg eventually slowly extended outwards. Streatching past Bevel and wrapping around. It held it’s position for a moment before it finally snapped inwards. Hard enough that the collosal mare’s could practically be heard flexing as Bevel was slammed into her body (invoking a metallic clang) for a tight hug.

It has dawned on Crusader that the Prince might envy such a display… but it was one that Crusader strained herself from doing to the Prince less she accidently crushes him. And given that Bevel is in fact an earth pony… she’ll likely be able to endure. Maybe… was that the sound of bones cracking? Hopefully not!

“It is good to see you again, cousin,” The mare hummed through the hug. She unconsciously squeezed a bit tighter, “It’s been too long! I was told that you seemed to be doing well for yourself last winter, but I am glad I can see that for myself.” The leg holding the shield soon joined in the hug. Squeezing ever so tighter. “And yes. This pony happens to be my Cousin, Bevel Gears. She’s the daughter of my mother’s brother.”

The Pegasus soon released the mare when she felt a set of eyes lingering on her for too long. Her ears perked upwards as she scanned the room. First she noticed the other Guard. For some reason looking down on the crowd from the roof. She had no knowledge of his purpose for being here… but she will just assume that he’s on patrol and is ascertaining the room’s condition.

But her eyes did eventually settle on Naj. Crusader peered down to the mare with a hint of curiosity in her eyes that leaked out of her stoic expression like a drop of water.

“How can I help you, ma’am,” The large Pegasus asked politely. However, her gaze quickly left the pony and immediately landed on the source of the sound midway through it's racket.

Crusader's eyes hardened into a tunnel visioned glare. Her muscles, tensing up making the mare look even larger than she already was. Seeing that the noise came from the guard falling. She only took a moment to briefly glance up to the skyline before looking back down to the guard. She kept her eyes fixed on him for a few seconds longer, till she finally relaxed. She pulled a napkin from behind her shield and offered it to the Prince with an outstreatched wing.

Her gaze returned to Naj, "Sorry about that. Now, you were saying?"

Red returned to the table Naj had set up camp at, a tray in front of him held securely by the strap around his neck. Lucky he made it back when he did, he soon thought, as the sudden sound of a pony in full armour hitting the floor at high speed might very well have been enough to make him spill its contents. Nevertheless, as the guard picked himself up off the floor in front of the other, very large pegasus, he carefully removed the two tall glasses of cider from the tray and set the tray aside before sitting down on his own barstool.

Lifting his glass in a toast in Naj's direction, he smiled. "Well, here's to a new Spring!" he said, before curiously wondering why Crusader had asked "Sorry about that. Now, you were saying?"  to Naj.

Naj's observation didn't go unnoticed, to her mild surprise.  Not that she had been particularly trying to hid it, but she would have expected a guard to be either used to the stares or more focused on their assignment.  Ahh well, maybe now the changeling would get the answers behind her musings.

Naj was about to say something, but was saved for the moment when they were interrupted by a loud crash from nearby.  Naj tensed up, ready to react to whatever it was that just happened, only to find another guard in the room.  She would have found that suspicious and remained on alert, if Red hadn't shown up a moment later with their drinks.  That was enough to make the changeling remember that it really wasn't her job, and realize that the guard wasn't doing anything other than keeping watch just yet.  She smiled and thanked Red for the drink, getting to take a sip before the armoured pegasus insisted.

Well, there was no escaping this, Naj supposed.  “I'm sorry,” she started, turning to face the pegasus with an awkward smile, “I wasn't expecting to see any guards at an event like this, and I was kinda curious what would bring one out.”  Naj peered at the guard, as she considered for a moment.  “No criminal worth chasing would show up...there'd be a lot more guards if someone was expecting a large attack and it's too open for a subtle one...”  Naj paused, and blinked.  “Heh, I should probably stop, shouldn't I?”

2nVY1oEm.jpg

Bevel thought about what the prince said: a very, very faint smile creasing her lips as she pondered. Was that possible? could she have actually brightened up somepony's day be simply being around? In her mind it still felt a bit far fetched, but for some reason she felt a bit... warmer inside. The response from the familiar guard pony was rather slow but bevel didn't seem to see fit to get out of the way, but more interested in seeing where this was going. Just like that; she was brought into another powerful hug that brought quuite a few memories flooding back. For moment, one might even notice her coat brightening up a bit and losing that washed out look it had for a split second.

Oh right, the pain and squeezing. The pain and squeezing came next and already that made the mare's face contort into an expression of restrained agony. nostalgia and pain were hardly things that mixed well together... in fact one could say that was like mixing two incredibly different things together and it coming out undefinable. The best that Bevel could squeak out were some strained words familiar to Star crusader's ears.

"...Sader... grip... too tight... Can't breathe... eugh..." The mare was panicking a bit, lookign to the prince momentarily in a look that said quite a bit. Those things mostly being; "TELL HER TO LET GO BEFORE SHE CRUSHES MY--oh..." Then she was released and set down. The yellow eyed unicorn coughed a moment and looked back to her cousin.

"It's good to see you again, I see you've made a name for yourself I assume: making a prince's honorguard." The inventor looked back to Blueblood, "And as she said; my father was her mother's brother. After certain events transpired I left Equestria to study with the Silverbeak griffin family in Talonopolis... and studied abroad for a while She's one of the only ponies who wrote me after I left.Well, her, her mother, and her father."

A-hah!  So, this Miss Bevel Gear was a cousin to Star Crusader!  Blueblood could deduce it from a certain resemblance in the stoic attitudes of the two mares... plus the fact that one had just drawn the other into a tight bear hug.  A much tighter hug, the Prince noted, than Star had ever given to him, but given how much trouble the recipient was having in drawing breath, it was hard to feel jealous.  Plus, she wasn't using her wings; that was what made a pegasus hug special.

"Ah, so... raised by griffons, were you?"  Blueblood asked Bevel, as he pulled a few coaster napkins over to wipe cider off himself.  It would certainly explain a lot about her non-Equestrian mannerisms.  Silverbeaks... those were the technicians and artisans, if the Prince was remembering his political families correctly.  Made sense, he supposed; there was a certain commonality of interest between them and the Fractals.  "Well, I'm glad to see you were able to maintain a few family ties.  I... didn't have any cousins after I lost my own parents.  That's when Celestia really stepped in as my honorary Aunt.

He looked over to Star, giving her an appreciative smile.  There really was a heart of gold under that stoic exterior, and he was glad to have gotten another glimpse of it.  Following her gaze, however, led him to a less pleasant sight, at least for him.  *That changeling again...*  Well, he supposed it made sense; they had last met in Ponyville.  He steadied his breathing, trying to look casual.  So far, no panicking.  That was good.  So long as nopony else made any sudden movements, he would be alright.

Red took a long sip of his cider, watching and listening to Naj as she launched into an analysis of guard deployment to Ponyville. Well, that was the soldier side of her talking, no doubt, but while it was understandable to him why she would be thinking that way, the guard was likely to be wondering about it herself, especially as Naj caught herself mid-thoughts.

Red put down his glass and placed a hoof on Naj's. "I'm sure there's nothing to worry about," he said, partly to assuage her fears of having rambled too far, and partly for the benefit of the guard. "She's here for the Prince, that's all."  he added, nodding in Blueblood's direction.

It was clear guards still intimidated Naj a little, at least, if she had to interact with one. It worried him a little, too, that one might disobey orders or otherwise swing first and ask questions later, so not sticking out like a sore thumb was probably the best course just at the moment.

One day, that would change. One day...

Licorice allowed his gaze to sweep through the room again, then returned to staring into the middle distance and relying mostly on his ears and peripheral vision to assess threats. His horn glowed briefly while he adjusted and smoothed his mane back into some semblance of order, but even that faded quickly.

He'd ascertained that his entrance had caused some commotion, including the prince's drink being spilled, he would mea culpa that once Blueblood was alone. Star Crusader and the Prince had run into her cousin, Bevel Gears, and the prince briefly appeared to be slightly put out. Jealous? Possibly, but either way it wasn't his assignment. The mare and stallion speaking to Crusader and the prince seemed to be here together, and again, Blueblood reacted to her presence, though somewhat more negatively. He'd need to remember that, but apparently Crusader didn't consider her a threat so neither would he. Yet. 

He decided to keep a metaphorical eye out for trouble, but until he saw it he was content to defer to his senior guard's judgement. 

While the guard took a moment to mull over Naj's response, Red picked up on the disguised changeling's concerns, and laid a hoof comfortingly over her shoulder.  It had the desired effect, easing the anxiety Naj hadn't fully realized had been building.  At least until he joined in the conversation.

It wasn't really Red's fault, he just happened to be the bearer of unfortunate news.  “A prince?” Naj replied with mild surprise, as while it explained the guard's presence it invited more questions, and looked at the pony Red indicated.  That gave her a bit of a start.  She knew that pony, and though never really spoke to him in person, in one sense she'd never have to.  That was the pony that she'd accidentally given a panic attack the last time she'd been in Ponyville.  That had bothered her enough already, now it turned out he was royalty.  This couldn't end well...

Naj caught herself staring at the prince for a moment, before making a point not to look in his direction.  He seemed a little agitated about something, but didn't seem to have noticed her yet.  Maybe if she was lucky things would stay that way.  Naj looked at the guard in front of her for just a moment before turning back to Red, and speaking rapidly in a hushed tone.  “He's a prince!?  And nopony thought to tell me last time!?”

“An honest assessment,” The towering guard chirped with a thoughtful tone in her voice. She spoke quite articulately as she regarded the smaller creature with curious eyes. She wasn’t entirely sure why something felt weird about this one. Perhaps it was the way she noticed the prince, from the edge of her vision, looking at this particular pony in such an unbecoming manner. She wasn’t sure of what the two’s history were, but the prince was not displaying any sort of emotion that would tell her to pin poor Naj to the wall. Or… through it.

“It is fair to ascertain about the presence of the royal guard so far away from Canterlot,” She hummed. Her eyes flicking a bit, gathering every bit of detail of both Naj and Red Cedar to archive later in her mind. From appearance, and the pattern of the fur on their bodies, right down to the exact frequencies of their voice. Though the mare did notice that Naj’s coat and mane seemed immaculate. Both were free of any shedded strands, blemishes, scars, or damages. Except for dust. She’ll have to try to be a softer and frilly mare later… and ask for her secrets when she’s off duty. Yes… that is how a proper mare should be.

“It is still well within my duties to maintain the well being of Equestrian’s citizens. And to try my best to peacefully resolves misconduct… and… if otherwise… enforce it violently if I am not given the option.” That last bit was added with a thoughtful hum… but there was a hint of tiredness to it. Like it was something she’s seen too much, and grew tired of.

“However, My current priorities are-“ She caught herself just as Red Cedar interjected, and quite accurately it seems.

“Yes… my duties are currently labeling me as the Prince’s Retainer,” The mare then nodded to the other guard. “I do not know of his purposes here. But I assume he is what we call the courtesy security. Such are usually present at large events where ponies tend to act more foolish. Which… would explain a lot… as I am not certain if pony has a local law enforcement……”

The mare’s eyes shifted a bit studying the other guard, before turning back to Naj. Even though her face was stoic, there was a glint of humor in her eyes. “Now, judging by your reaction. I assume you’ve had time to acquaint yourself with blueblood?”

-

The doors opened as another buck entered the bar. A coffee brown, dark messy maned stallion. He looked utterly tired, and as if he had climbed a mountain only to be disappointed by what he found at the top of the sumit. Metaphorically with some truth that is…

“There you are Bev! Sweet Luna’s moon, block out the sun and call me a dud! I just happened to be in ponlyville when I recognized your work sitting just outside of town, and so I stopped by. What happened to the poor girl, it looks like you got into a fight with a bahemoth and lost!”

The stallion stepped up to the bar, and ordered three glasses of water… then a cider. The stallion looked to crusader, and gave his sister a smile. The smile was returned with Crusader's "equivalent". Which amounted to a barely existing smile then a nod. It's a wonder if her facial muscles actually work.

“Anyways! I’ve got some good news, and a gift. Which… you’ll want to down three shots of something strong before you open it. Then find something breakable and liftable.”

2nVY1oEm.jpg

Bevel paused a moment after Blueblood spoke, "Hm..." She looked down at her hooves a moment. "Well... um. The mare cleared her throat into her hoof before reaching into her waistcoat and offering a card to the stallion with some information written on it; a mailing address. "You've had it worse than I have I believe... if you wish to ever talk about it or need my services for any future endeavors you may take. You can count on my support." 

"On a less heavy subject... by the count of what you told me there are now two princesses in Equestria then? Twilight and Celestia?" She asked, trying to steer the conversation away from past tragedies. 

Then there was a shout by a vaguely familiar voice. Something about it made her face look like she'd had the unpleasant experience of someone behind her suddenly yanking her tail... considering some of the griffin cubs reactions when she first arrived in Aquellia, she'd had this done quite a few times as a filly. 

She turned to the source of the voice and blinked once. Oh, right. The stallion dating that annoying painter who invited her to a guild meeting of magic experts that looked more like a travelling circus than a circle of mages. "Oh... well... The ship landed on the tower because of a problem with the map of the skies in Equestria. I was using a relatively recent map that day and it said that what would be below the ship when it re-materialized would be a library built into  a tree... It didn't say there would be a garish, out of place crystalline spire in the airspac-- Why am I talking to you about zhis?!" The mare raised her voice a moment, looking down at her drink with a mix of confused, embarrassed fluster, and irritation. This was getting rather ridiculous... and the added embarassment was making her accent slip.

The mare took a long drink of her Vodka Soda and laid down what little remained of the glass on the counter. "Alright. I'm going to ask it flat out. Who are you?" She narrowed her eyes a moment at the stallion and immediately followed it with another question. "I'd ask how you know my name but I assume you learned it at that Gala thing, and finally why are you talking to me like you know me?"

One of the great Unwritten Rules by which Equestrian society was truly run dictated that whenever a potential conflict or confrontation was brewing in a bar, all the patrons would become silent in order to watch.  This phenomenon had been observed and confirmed by social science, though explanations as to its cause differed.  One theory had it that everypony loved to see free theatrical shows, another that they simply wanted to not miss the beginning of a potential brawl, whether thy planned to jump in or run.

The upshot of that all tonight was that the room had grown quiet enough for he Prince to hear the sharp whisper of the changeling:

“He's a prince!?  And nopony thought to tell me last time!?”

"You didn't know!?"  Blueblood's reply was incredulous at first, but common sense soon brought a realization that, like Bevel, Naj was technically a foreigner, though a better term would be 'immigrant'.  "Oh, no... I suppose you wouldn't know."  He sighed, draining his glass and asking the bartender for a refill.  He really felt as if he needed it right now, though the flashbacks weren't coming on, yet.  Was it because he'd already met Naj, and the shock had worn off?  Or was it because he had his towering personal guard with him this time?  Probably a bit of both. 

With that in mind, the Prince nodded acknowledgment to Star's question.  "Yes, we've met before... when she first revealed herself to this town."  From the looks of things, quite a few residents remembered that event as well.  Their reactions more or less mirrored Blueblood's; it was still unusual, but they were getting used to it.  "I don't think... there's going to be any trouble."  Deep breath, deep breath.... in and out.  

There.  That wasn't so bad.  The nervous fancies were beginning to fall away, and he even raised his glass to her.  "Well, cheers for a job well done."  He drank the simple toast, and turned back to Bevel, just as Java breezed through the door and talked to her.

"Ah.  Bevel, may I introduce you to your other cousin, Voronoi Fractal.  He prefer's to be called 'Java', though, as you may guess from the smell that hangs about him."

“He's a prince!?  And nopony thought to tell me last time!?”

Red grimaced awkwardly at Naj's question. He had told her, hadn't he? He was certain of it. Or maybe that particular detail had been lost while Naj had literally been worried sick during the whole revelation to the town. And then there had been the imposing figure of Star Crusader inquiring if Naj had known Blueblood as well.

Red took a breath to begin to explain, but it seemed their entire conversation had been overheard by the pony in question anyway.

"You didn't know!?" Blueblood started at her, "Oh, no... I suppose you wouldn't know. Yes, we've met before... when she first revealed herself to this town.  I don't think... there's going to be any trouble.  Well, cheers for a job well done."

Red took a deep breath, frowning. Well, if the prince had wanted to make for a thoroughly awkward evening, he'd succeeded. Whether that was to get back at Red for his verbal sparring with the prince before, or at Naj for triggering a panic attack in full view of the peasants, or the both of them simply for being involved and there and conveniently being stared down by his bodyguard, he couldn't be sure, but having made his point, apparently, he had gone back to talking with others present in the pub, leaving the two of them likely under the suspicious gaze of the Royal Guardspony for the rest of the night, if not their entire time in Ponyville.

Red took another deep breath. "Yes, that is His Highness, Prince Blueblood, a member of Equestria's..." Red paused a moment as he swallowed between breaths, as though trying not to choke on the irony of his next word.

"... nobility."  He finally said, before taking a long drink from his glass of cider.

The guardspony didn't seem to be aggressive at the moment, even despite Naj's possibly suspicious behaviour.  Naj was actually a little surprised that things were turning out so well.  She would have expected the guard to at least be openly suspicious, rather than understanding as seemed to be the current case.  The guard even indicated a preference for resolving things peacefully and something of a distaste for violence despite her size, which meant Naj might actually have a chance to explain if things went wrong, and then what Red had suggested was confirmed.  Between this and Red's added comfort, Naj had pretty much calmed down completely.

Which was useful, because apparently the room had grown quiet enough for Blueblood to have heard Naj's comment, causing the disguised changeling to flinch.  Aside from being at first little insulted at not being recognized, he otherwise struck Naj as being reasonably understanding, realizing that she had a reason not to know and wasn't lucky to deliberately start something.  This too was a relief for Naj, as while she wasn't quite afraid of the prince or his escort, for both practical reasons and old habits she wanted to stay on the good side of royalty.  To that end she decided to ignore Red's attitude toward the prince for now, resolving to ask him about it later, but for now hoping that not drawing attention might let his comments slide.  Instead she joined in the toast, raising her glass with a faint smile and saying “to a job well done,” before taking a sip.

Naj the turned back to the guard, remembering that the large pegasus had asked her something.  “To answer your question, I wouldn't say we know each other, but as he said we've met before.”  Naj rubbed the back of her head.  “I, er, left quite an impression on him when we met.”

Java glanced to Prince with his lips pursed, “Actually, there was a different reason why I got the nick name JavaSun, but that’s a later story.” He then turned his gaze back to Bevel. His eyes flicked over her face. He studied the stern expression for a brief moment, and then heaved out a small sigh. “Though I have a sneaking suspicion it’s less to do with you forgetting who I am… and more about a different reason.”

The stallion then tapped his chin, “Though it –is- possible that you’ve forgotten me completely. Age changes a lot of things. I’m more disheveled, and have plenty of scars under the coat.”

He gave a brief shrug and pulled out an open envelope. It was fairly large, and showed it’s age through yellowing and wrinkles. He slid it over the bar to the mare, and just lightly peaking out was a letter addressed to Voronoi from a pony named Mandelbrot, and then a smaller and still sealed letter was behind it.

But before the mare had a chance to open it’s contents, the stallion placed a box ontop of the envelope. One that might be familiar to the mare. And if she did, she’d find it completely unaltered, yet well cared for. The stallion pressed a switch. And a second later, it’s lid opened up, and out came a small poker that simply flicked the switch back. Then nothing else happened.

-

Crusader’s eyes flicked to Red. Her eyes carefully studied his expression after catching his tone. Surprisingly, her gaze lacked any display of hostility or suspicion. She did take note that the buck had a sour side for the nobility. She personally couldn’t blame him if this was the case. Even though she’s born in two of the nobility castes, she did find a good number of them… insufferable. However, that’s from behavior, and less for who they are.

Still, it seems that the mare will need to count Cedar’s drinks and keep an eye on him when he downs more than three. Her eyes soon returned to Naj, who was giving Crusader the benefit of knowing a small hint between what looks like bad blood between the two.

“Interesting…” The guard mused. There was a small hint of humor in her town as she spoke again. A small jab to the Prince, and he’d likely catch it too.
“From what I understand, it was usually the reverse in the past. So he doesn’t quite have you at a disadvantage.”

Archived