Official Discussion Thread - S07E14 Fame and Misfortune

tacobob

gmw0m7u.png?1

Twilight Sparkle's publishing of the friendship journal has unintended consequences, when ponies start to argue over who wrote the best lessons. The episode aired Saturday 11:30 AM EST on August 12th!!

This thread is dedicated to discussing the episode before, during, and afterwards. As the thread is now open it may indeed contain spoilers. I ask that potential spoilers talked about or shown before the episode airs stay within the spoiler tags please, after the episode you no longer have to use the spoiler tags, but warning, if you haven't seen the episode yet after it airs, this thread no doubt will have all sorts of spoilers in reviews, images, etc. So tread at your own risk!

I really liked this episode. Lots of meta-humor. Very funny bits.

Spoiler

But seriously... Rainbow freaking outed Daring Do as being real. I really hope something comes from this. And considering they like to release 'Real World' versions of books in the show, I hope they do one of their journal. Complete with torn pages and an real rotten apple..Er..skip that one..

And yes. even the kids know who the best pony is.

raOm1BE.png?1

I have a feeling unlike our RP version here, Toon Applejack will probably avoid having any kids for a bit after that encounter. *shudder*

That episode was amazingly fun. Every crisis the ponies went through felt like something I could see as a result of the publication of the journal, which was important. I think there are many good ways to go with this, and I hope the show further explores at a later point the ramifications of the journal being released- some negative, but some more positive, since the show was so tilted.

Speaking of: Some call the ponies who take all the wrong messages to be a parody of this fandom, and I disagree. This plot isn't anything new: A book/movie/show/etc. is released with the message, the masses don't understand, misconstrue, or otherwise get the wrong takeaway, much to the frustration of whoever made/released it. Nothing all that specialin that regard. MLP is just special in as much as it has such strong characters to play off of!:)

Hello all! 

So, I finally got to seeing an MLP episode, and this one was fun! It was neat seeing several of the Brony fandom's questions being represented by the readers of the journals. This was also a great example of "the road to hell paved with good intentions." It was also interesting how each pony had their own special type of criticism from being followed like a celebrity, to being criticized, to being given harsh comments. In the end though I liked ho despite the criticism floating around, it took some positive examples to set the Mane Six's mind at ease. I also liked that ultimately the episode had no resolution with the hordes of ponies outside the castle. This was important because just like this episode there will always be those that look at something from a skewed angle or try to criticize it, and there's no quick fix to turn their perception towards yours. 

Two little witty things I learned that relate to this episode: 

• Trying to understand people (or ponies) and their intentions is like trying to smell the number yellow. 
  • I also watched a psychologist who offered the 18, 40, 60 rule. It states that at 18 you are worried what people think of you. At 40, you don't care what people think of you. And at 60, you realize that people haven't been caring about all along and are concerned with their own lives. 

~Lux

Well, I have a totally different take on this episode than the prior posts.

I seriously thought that after the masterpiece episode that was 'The Perfect Pear" that we'd be in for a letdown.

IMHO, this is correct.

I TRIED to like this episode, I really did, but to me it was constant disappointment.

To me, this episode had no 'moral/lesson' to it other than to demonstrate how others will always misinterpret what we 'publish.'

If the lesson was to show the perils of 'social media', than this was SPOT ON!

(Which is why I don't do Facebook, Twitter, Linked-In, Snapchat, etc.)

Even the ending truly didn't resolve anything, other than the Mane Six decided not to let all the other pony's opinions bother them.

Oh yeah, the book actually helped two little fillies, but even that wasn't enough to save this episode from being bland.

To me, the ONLY bright spot of this episode was the song, and even it wasn't the best song of the season.

Hate to be the one to burst everyone's bubble, but IMHO, this is probably the WORST episode of the season so far.

Archived