Last post wins

4 hours ago, Penumbra said:

Symphonic, i've always been meaning to ask what you felt about the ending to Dv3?
(assuming you've finished it) 
I personally

Reveal hidden contents

Kinda hated it. That crappy mastermind reveal and that forced meta narrative put a damper on the series as a whole.
The game was a bit formulaic too.
Kokichi was great though. 

I haven't finished the game but I did read ahead of the story. So far I'm enjoying the gameplay, but the story is definitely not as great as the previous ones. 

Yaaas! Koikichi!

Why do I expect everyone who I've seen with RP experience to be a great RPer.

The thing is, one of the players in the RP I'm in on the other website didn't seem to understand why we weren't interacting with them - saying how we must think their characters are boring. That's not it at all, they had just randomly dived into a conversation of their own near some others talking, in a place that didn't make sense for them. RPs should be a collaborative story, and stories need to flow. Random characters meeting together is fine, as long as you have a reason for it. If two characters are alone in the park and you want them to interact, you should consider if either one of them would actually approach the other in character. Making them talk if they wouldn't in character is forcing them to talk in the wrong sense. If you want to force a conversation, place them in a situation where they have to. This stuff is pretty obvious, yet they didn't get it.

• Like 1

See, when I first started RPing, I had absolutely no idea how to do it. Looking back, it was probably the most embarrassing thing I've ever done on this or any site. I just dove right into it in the middle of the story in the most awkward way possible (like making conversation with other character and making their character reply for them) and never posted on it again. I never even checked the topic again. I doubt they even noticed my post at all. I eventually did join an RP that I did contribute to in a small way, but didn't last long. Tried once more after that and then just stopped. 

So my point is yeah, I was that guy once.

• Like 1

The first RP I went into, I think I had managed to just get lucky. I had the perfect opportunity to drop my character in. It was basically aliens attack Earth, people have superpowers, SHIELD is a thing. You could make a character and drop them in easily - are you a human or alien fighter? Then just attack the enemy while people are around. Are you independent? Same sort of deal, show up in the middle of a fight or in the aftermath, it's far easier that way. The SHIELD part came a little after the RP started, but the guy running it left so I took it over. The RP is technically still going, or at least it was pretending to be recently. It died off a while ago, even the host left. There's only like one or two people who might still keep it going, but it's lost the original feeling. The problem is that it was too open-ended for the premise. It should've been structured better for what it was. If you give your players a goal - conquer Earth, or fend off the invaders, then you should regulate the game to make sure neither goal is too easy. The host made another RP, which has been alive for a little over a month now, and it's over double the last one's posts. He's more active in it, and other than character creation so you're not too OP, it's open-ended with no set goals, so players can make their own events and such to reach the goals they want.

I used to be part of a massive RP guild during the burgeoning days of AOL. They required frequent interactions, your character to write reports, participation in events, etc. In the end it hashed out into a bunch of busy work that greatly improved my English skills...and I made a few primal friends along the way that I still talk to, to this day. Roleplay is fun, but I also feel it needs a good dose of perspective. It's a game, it's meant to be fun. It's meant to be collaborative, and if your character is taking something away from the experience for others, it's time to rethink your approach.

A lot of people can grasp this; a great many more have no idea how to interact with other characters and their players. On that token...

WD1 - Just a heads up, my Staff have been chatting about banning you on this forum as well, and they have my full support to do so if they make this choice. I think you should reconsider what you decide to post (Protip: one-word posts aren't helping). If you look at the other posts in this thread, you'll see we're having a conversation, in spite of the locale. I've seen a lot of people like you breeze through this community, and I can tell you this...the rest of them are gone.

5b86ef391c9f95fba57b533eab5f6b74d90f199b

• Like 1

The way I see it, you want to make everyone happy in an RP, but you can't always do that. If what you do makes sense in-character and you've built up to it for a long time, but another person doesn't like it - say you're going to kill their character(assuming it's okay in the RP you're a part of) - they should understand that it's a team effort, but like I said it's also got to have a good flow and such. Characters die in books all the time, maybe you can try to bargain with them to let yours live, but sometimes you have to know that it can't be changed. Of course, it'd be better to make sure people are cool with it beforehand and make sure not to murder people often as well.

It could be that they are just hopping around mountains of threads, hoping that someone will accept their style of roleplay (or no one has told them how to roleplay). When I first started out (holy sheet some people here might even remember), I also didn't know what to do. I made a ton of mistakes and it took a while for me to learn because only the staff have ever told me right from wrong (partially my fault because I couldn't find the rules, teehee). At that time, I was surprised that only a few experienced members where happy to point out mistakes I've made during roleplays and helped me improve. Maybe with more of these people, newer members will be able to learn faster and avoid things like these that can cause confusion or awkwardness in roleplay.

1 hour ago, Rosewind said:

WD1 - Just a heads up, my Staff have been chatting about banning you on this forum as well, and they have my full support to do so if they make this choice. I think you should reconsider what you decide to post (Protip: one-word posts aren't helping). If you look at the other posts in this thread, you'll see we're having a conversation, in spite of the locale. I've seen a lot of people like you breeze through this community, and I can tell you this...the rest of them are gone.

Image result for undertale surprised...sheet just got real...

*Eats temmie flakes and stays quiet.*

2 hours ago, Rosewind said:

I used to be part of a massive RP guild during the burgeoning days of AOL. They required frequent interactions, your character to write reports, participation in events, etc. In the end it hashed out into a bunch of busy work that greatly improved my English skills...and I made a few primal friends along the way that I still talk to, to this day. Roleplay is fun, but I also feel it needs a good dose of perspective. It's a game, it's meant to be fun. It's meant to be collaborative, and if your character is taking something away from the experience for others, it's time to rethink your approach.

A lot of people can grasp this; a great many more have no idea how to interact with other characters and their players. On that token...

got it no more spam its to salty:sans: *stays quite*

2 hours ago, PatchworkPsycho said:

The way I see it, you want to make everyone happy in an RP, but you can't always do that. If what you do makes sense in-character and you've built up to it for a long time, but another person doesn't like it - say you're going to kill their character(assuming it's okay in the RP you're a part of) - they should understand that it's a team effort, but like I said it's also got to have a good flow and such. Characters die in books all the time, maybe you can try to bargain with them to let yours live, but sometimes you have to know that it can't be changed. Of course, it'd be better to make sure people are cool with it beforehand and make sure not to murder people often as well.

You know the saying: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Failing that, lots of blood.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Rosewind said:

You know the saying: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Failing that, lots of blood.

Blood is my go-to solution for everything. My character alone probably would've never been allowed here.

Room is making progress! Got my dresser built (it's to the right), new memory foam mattress, and the tv is like, perfect where it is for maximum laziness/awesomeness.

UorTkvD.jpg

Gonna put a new poster next to the Mononoke one ...not sure of what yet. I have a Made in Abyss one coming for another spot since that's my Thing right now.

• Like 2