Allow me to introduce myself...

DantonDamnark

About myself.: I am, like most of you, an Internet user. I occupy my free time, as well as time I should be using for other things, with everything from surfing to gaming. Recently I have become oppressed with "Pony Vectoring", as evidence of my 2.5 Deviantions per day.

I currently reside in Central Pennsylvania in the United States. Grew up in a small town, I quickly grew to love computers and eventually built 3. 1 for me, another for me(more of a complete upgrade of my first one) and one for my brother.

My current dream, and my first "dream" I have ever really had, is for at least one of my artworks is used in the show. It could be my Character or even just the Cutie Mark I designed.

I don't know about most of you, but my favorite music is Power Metal! This does not include DragonForce, as they do not really "play for real". My favorite Band is known as HammerFall. HammerFall is an internationally famous, Swedish band who's most recent album, "Infected", was only over-shadowed as #2 in the Swedish Charts by Lady Gaga. Two of their other albums have hit #1. Though they are Swedish, they sing in English, except for a few lines in several songs where they speak Latin and a few lines in their new song "Dia de los Muertos".

How did you hear about Canterlot.com?: Through #AdoptAPony Group on deviantArt

How did you became a fan of FiM?: My best friend on Steam told me he had been a Brony for awhile. This was after Bronies were mentioned by Adult Swim and Stephen Colbert. Decided "What

My one favourite main cast pony?: Miss Rarity

I do not feel I should release my deviantArt name or my Youtube Account(s) as I am a new user. Though I will say that I prefer making OC (original content) over "normal" content.

Yes, Rarity is my favorite. It was originally Twilight and then Fluttershy, who are now tied for 2nd.

Edit: My Brony story was cut off so I guess I'll post the rest her.

How did you became a fan of FiM?: My best friend on Steam told me he had been a Brony for awhile. This was after Bronies were mentioned by Adult Swim and Stephen Colbert. Decided "What's the worst that could happen?" and watched an episode. The rest is history.

Edited by DantonDamnark

Pleasure ta meetcha, Danton!

I'mma Fawkes~

I have no idea what pony vectoring is. I have a funny feeling it has something to do with ponies, though.

WHICH MEANS IT'S AUTOMATICALLY AWESOME.

Just like your avatar over there. Lookit that guy. He's just all like, "Pffh. Yeah. I'm da boss. Wut of it? Watch me shimmer my sexy blue mane back and forth. *shimmer shimmer shimmer*"

So awesome~

BUT WELCOME TO THE ROYAL CITY, DANTON!

Hope you have a great time here~

I have no idea what pony vectoring is.

Pony Vectoring is, more or less, tracing an still frame from the show using what is called Bezier curves. It's difficult to explain what these are without going into much detail. Anyway, once the tracing is done we scale the Bezier curves to what ever size we want. Typically between 2000px and 10000px (10800px is the maximum height allowed in on deviantArt) but since we used Bezier curves, there is no lose of quality! The fact that it can scaled larger or smaller and not lose quality is what is so appealing to Vector images than Raster images. Here is a link to an example of a simple Pony Vector(Not made by me): http://j-brony.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d4cw4ao

There also a Reddit group who have created tutorials to help people learn. I also should mention that many vectorers also create OC as well as show content.

Hello!

I'm MyLittlePonyTales, but I just go by Tales around here. I'm one of the many great staff here at Canterlot. Please feel free to message any of us with any questions or concerns you have, or you can just leave another comment here!

If you didn't already, please take a moment to check out the rules section, just so that you're up to speed! :RDash:

You'll also need to make at least 3 comments anywhere in the Introductions section before you can post on other parts of the board.

A good place to go if you're looking to meet a lot of new Bronies is the IRC Chat.

Welcome to Canterlot!

Is it because it requires little skill or artistic talent? Cause, personally, I find a bit funny on how much praise [we] get for something almost anyone can do.

It's the whole " I copied it therefore it is art" Bit >/ Tracing to me isn't art it's what you do PRIVATELY to improve yourself, you don't trace over someone else's work, change the color and then BAM "IS CREATIVE AN NEW CUZ DA MANE IS NOW DIAMONDS"

It's the whole " I copied it therefore it is art" Bit >/ Tracing to me isn't art it's what you do PRIVATELY to improve yourself, you don't trace over someone else's work, change the color and then BAM "IS CREATIVE AN NEW CUZ DA MANE IS NOW DIAMONDS"

I understand what you're saying. [We are] being unoriginal and what not. But vectoring is helpful for those who want to make "real" art. Do you think people want to look at a pixely image with amazing detail else where? Allowing people to use and modify the vectors is what most of us do.

Your point is made more clear when you factor in Unoriginal concepts. October 15, the day Lesson Zero was aired, I could look and see several "Insane Twilight" vectors, several were identical (Except for minor errors and image sizes), as well as many "Rainbow Dash with Sunglasses". Later, they thinned out the images by only using the one of best quality, but point still there.

There is also OC vectoring where there is little or no tracing. Skills to make these are usually honed by Non-OC Vectoring. And even though I make a lot of vectors and have quite a few admirers, I do not consider myself an artist.

Because of many vectorers making low quality vectors, the standards for vector quality has increased. Just because you make an OC vector, doesn't mean it will get accepted to the Gallery.

I understand what you're saying. [We are] being unoriginal and what not. But vectoring is helpful for those who want to make "real" art. Do you think people want to look at a pixely image with amazing detail else where? Allowing people to use and modify the vectors is what most of us do.

Your point is made more clear when you factor in Unoriginal concepts. October 15, the day Lesson Zero was aired, I could look and see several "Insane Twilight" vectors, several were identical (Except for minor errors and image sizes), as well as many "Rainbow Dash with Sunglasses". Later, they thinned out the images by only using the one of best quality, but point still there.

There is also OC vectoring where there is little or no tracing. Skills to make these are usually honed by Non-OC Vectoring. And even though I make a lot of vectors and have quite a few admirers, I do not consider myself an artist.

Because of many vectorers making low quality vectors, the standards for vector quality has increased. Just because you make an OC vector, doesn't mean it will get accepted to the Gallery.

I have no problem with maybe Vectoring a SHAPE of a pony that you like, and then using your own imagination to draw the tail, mane, cutie-mark ect.

The problem lies when the pony is clearly AppleJack and you just stuck Rarity's Mane on her head and made it rainbow XD

Wanting to do clean work is fine and dandy, it's not so fine and dandy when you pretty much copy over a screen shot line by line, don't change anything and then claim it's your vectored art XD

For my own Ponies I just used the Pony Maker, and plan to try my best to at the least study them enough to color them myself XD

I have no problem with maybe Vectoring a SHAPE of a pony that you like, and then using your own imagination to draw the tail, mane, cutie-mark ect.

The problem lies when the pony is clearly AppleJack and you just stuck Rarity's Mane on her head and made it rainbow XD

Wanting to do clean work is fine and dandy, it's not so fine and dandy when you pretty much copy over a screen shot line by line, don't change anything and then claim it's your vectored art XD

For my own Ponies I just used the Pony Maker, and plan to try my best to at the least study them enough to color them myself XD

I completely agree with you. If something called OC, it should at least be mostly "O". The only time I recall doing something close to your Applejack-Rarity example was when I recolored one of my Twilight vectors. I changed her colors to shades of grey and made her eyes Red. I still called it Twilight Sparkle, but it was less than 25% OC in my opinion and thus not "OC" (to me). (By the way I called it "Twilight Sparkle: Shadowmare" and gave the Shadowmare a small bio)

Edit: Quick Question: If somepony made an OC image but then modified that OC later(like change it's colors), would you consider what he just made (the edited) OC or not?

I completely agree with you. If something called OC, it should at least be mostly "O". The only time I recall doing something close to your Applejack-Rarity example was when I recolored one of my Twilight vectors. I changed her colors to shades of grey and made her eyes Red. I still called it Twilight Sparkle, but it was less than 25% OC in my opinion and thus not "OC" (to me). (By the way I called it "Twilight Sparkle: Shadowmare" and gave the Shadowmare a small bio)

Edit: Quick Question: If somepony made an OC image but then modified that OC later(like change it's colors), would you consider what he just made (the edited) OC or not?

If it's your work from the get go I don't care if you go back and edit/trace your OWN work XD the problem is when it is someone elses work .

If it's your work from the get go I don't care if you go back and edit/trace your OWN work XD the problem is when it is someone elses work .

But as soon as you put something of yourself in it, something original, could it still not be called your own?

Sure others made the original, but you tweaked it in such a way that it creates something entirely different. To me, that is still art.

I don't hate them, I just mentioned I don't like them because usually why I say "I love Power Metal" the next thing I hear is "Dragonforce sucks!"

I see.

I love Power and Melodic Metal. I only wish I had more space on my iPod for them, since the songs are usually very big.

But as soon as you put something of yourself in it, something original, could it still not be called your own?

Sure others made the original, but you tweaked it in such a way that it creates something entirely different. To me, that is still art.

So you'd be perfectly okay with someone taking something you drew, tracing over it, leaving EVERYTHING the same and then adding.. oh say a streak of green to the hair?

No it's not your art unless you DREW the entire image from scratch, no tracing "Tweaking" Someone elses art doesn't make it yours .

So you'd be perfectly okay with someone taking something you drew, tracing over it, leaving EVERYTHING the same and then adding.. oh say a streak of green to the hair?

What you are saying can be expressed in the following statement I came up with moments ago:

You find a dog on the street,

He has a nametag telling where he lives.

You decided to put a hat on the dog.

Now, is the dog yours?

Welcome to Canterlot! Be sure to stop by Getting Started for a whole saddlebag full of goodies and useful information, including free avatars and templates! We hope you enjoy your stay and have a great time!

We've got many different things to do here, from the random chitchat and chattertalk, to out and out Roleplay! We do encourage you to explore and settle in, find your own little place here. Perhaps you draw? We have a section for art! We also have a Gallery! Do you write? We'd love to see your fanfics, stories and lore! There's a section for that! And if you're into the Roleplay, well, then you came to the right place! Compose music? We'd love to hear it!

I kinda dig Dragonforce, but 'Through the Fire and the Flames' is the only one I've heard. I think a lot of music people tend to take or leave based on their personal tastes. The only music I can't stand is HipHop, myself. :P