The Physics of Magic (As Explained by Doctor Whooves)

Erlenmeyer

Doctor%20whooves%20vs%20physics.png

Here's an old work I worked on a while ago. I got the idea when I was rewatching Bridle Gossip. In the episode, Twilight was explaining how real magic comes from within and how curses aren't real magic and such. So I was wondering, what is the hard science behind magic? So I came up with this: http://bit.ly/OqoKrW

The piece is kind of lengthy (seven pages of SCIENCE!) but I think it I did a decent explanation. I'm not sure what genre to put this in since its not really a fan fiction in the traditional sense (plot, characters, settings, etc.). I'm currently rewriting/editing it to be put up on Fimfiction, so I'd like to hear your thoughts on the concept.

To me, that is consumer grade science. And you should take that as a compliment, because though you didn't go in depth you did a good job of explaining the bare bones basic of quantum theory. The specifics of quantum theory still give me a headache.

I only skimmed through it so far, as its late. However, one portion of your theory bothers me, which is the reason why Twilight's fail safe spell failed. Within that episode it was alluded to be an effect of the return of Discord and not an effect of any magical science theory. It is possible that those conditions are true, but for that example I cannot agree, as in science the simplest explanation is usually the correct one, and in this case Discord canceling out magic to disrupt harmony in Equestria is the simplest theory. A better spell for that example would be the come to life spell that though seemingly successful had a high growth rate and became unstable and uncontrollable, or the spell to make paraspites stop eating food which backfired completely. Though the failure isn't obvious, it still fits into quantum theory as minor changes are sometimes the most telling within a system.

I'll try to finish at a later and give a full critique.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...