Destroy the fourth wall with me!

ONWARDconwardicus

i had an idea while off my meds, and I still am, but I wanted to know what quote everyone would like to hear Pinkie Pie say that would probably never happen but still nonetheless make your day. :smirk:

Mine would be Pinkie being a detective and putting on sunglasses and making a pun after receiving information on the case she was working on.

In example:

Twilight: We found a slice of the pie gone, but not all of it.

Pinkie: Then it looks like this won't be *sunglasses* a piece of cake. *smirk*

To be fair, Pinkie Pie has never by definition "broke the fourth wall". That'd imply that she made a direct reference that the characters know they're in a show, which is what breaking the fourth wall really is about.

A cartoon that constantly broke the fourth wall and was excellent at it was Ed, Edd, n Eddy. There'd be lines like "Who writes this guy's stuff?" and even an occasional "What, and ruin the plot?". They've even made direct references to past experiences as "episodes". It was genuinely-written and well-done in execution.

I'd prefer Pinkie to make a passing comment in one episode, perhaps saying something like "Well, it said we had to ____ in the script!". The perfect subtle amount of fourth wall-breaking in that kind of execution.

Anytime a character acknowledges the audience they are breaking the fourth wall. I can't think of a specific circumstance, but it would boggle my mind to learn that Pinkie had never looked directly into the camera, or said things directly to us.

I liked the way they did it in Hearths warming eve. They regularly broke the fourth wall for their (in-show) audience which allowed them to break the fourth wall to us, the real world audience, without being too jarring.

PP - "And with me as our fearless leader, what could go wrong?"

AJ - "Where should I start?"

PP - "I'm gonna call this new place, uhhh, Dirtville!"

AJ - "How about 'Earth'?"

Iron will giving a thumbs up to the audience. Then PP and R looking in that direction with odd looks... thatbwas a good one.

As for me, i'd like her to say "i've got more fans than you" to whoever shes talking to :P

Was just watching "Putting Your Hoof Down" this morning and remembered that fourth wall gag. That was quite akin to Animaniacs-like fourth wall jokes, so I enjoyed that!

But besides that joke, we've never seen the characters acknowledge the audience, pretty much what qualifies as a fourth wall-breaking joke. Pinkie Pie seems to break world-logic in the show, rather than "breaking the fourth wall".

Either way, she's still the most entertaining of the cast. That's why Pinkie Pie is Best Pony!

Pinkie Pie broke the forth wall in Over a Barrel. At the very end she kept the closing hole open and said "Hey that's what I said!" That was the clearest example of PP breaking the fourth wall...

Tell me that isn't breaking the 4th wall...

Well, technically it was popping through a hole in the fourth wall that just happened to be there...

But I digress

She acknowledged that it was there and interacted with it, thus breaking the fourth wall. You can't acknowledge something like that without breaking the fourth wall.

That "hole" effect is commonly called an "iris-in", which is commonly used to conclude a feature, whether it be an episode of a cartoon or even a film. The last cartoon to use it commonly was "Ed, Edd, n Eddy", and in that they would frequently make reference to acknowledgment to the iris-in effect ("An iris-in would appropriate, wouldn't you think?" spoken just before said effect ended the episode called "Here's Mud in Your Ed").

Speaking in terms of whether it acts as a fourth wall joke, I would have to said this particular one makes it clear that Pinkie Pie can bend logic. While it is true she broke the rule of the show being a cartoon only and physically "bent" the ending effect, if you would, that would count as breaking the fourth wall as it acknowledges that its a cartoon and not its own universe.

I'm surprised I overlooked it, because I have a shirt that has that specific frame of Over a Barrel with Pinkie Pie on it... :?