Lauren Faust to leave MLP:FiM?

Lauren updated her DA page with a clarification.
*clarification: Story concepts and writers' meetings were completed several weeks ago, so my role is complete. I am not currently working on this show in any capacity at this time. Sorry for the confusion. While I'm at it, folks are asking if I left to work on another show. This is not the case. I had no other projects in the works when I stepped down.

So she's already finished her work on season 2 at this point.

Well it is in the animation stage of production. So actually a lot of the crew is done, writers, VAs, creative directors. But that isn't necessarily a bad thing. That means her work has been set in place at this point so her influences are there. And if the show has a third season, then during the pre-production stage she would work again.

I think people worrying that her part is done are misunderstanding. All animations are done in stages and there are long periods of time when certain parts of the crew don't do any work at all.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact she is stepping into a consulting role (not the same as completely quitting) I can understand can be worrisome, but, much of the script work, which is the core of what makes this show great, is already done for season two. Such changes after one season are not uncommon in television producing and doesn't signal an end to anything. Heck the fact we are getting a second season is an achievement in itself given the usual life cycle of American animated shows (stuff like the Simpsons withstanding).

Plus we have a little good news:

From one of the main artists:

Capture.PNG

And from the director of the show:

Capture.PNG

These guys do interact with the fandom and are aware of us and what we hope for and why we love the show, so I am certainly not going to give up hope, especially since I haven't seen an episode to which to judge.

remember that FiM was more that just the brain child of Lauren Faust, it was a team effort of several different artists, writers, animators, composers, voice actors, singers and more, and nearly all of them will be putting the same effort into season 2

Right. One of the things that has really impressed me is the level of enthusiasm from those members of the production team who have blogged/commented on it. They really seem to have absorbed the whole ethos of the show and seem really proud to be working on it. Lauren's absence will undoubtedly be a loss as she obviously had such a clear vision of where she wanted to go with it and of the way the whole world of Equestria works. However, given the really positive attitude of the other people who are involved, I'm pretty optimistic that the show will be in safe hands. It looks like she's still had a lot of influence over season 2 anyway, so I think that's safe enough.

I think the only thing that could really send my heart racing would be if a major character changed voice actor. :D

I never want that to happen...although if it had to be done, I would prefer a voice actor change than pulling the show's plug, like they did with Reboot (Oh God WHY).

Maybe the show will be like Reboot, which got much better as the series went on (Season three and four being vastly superior too season two, which was superior to season one).

Am I the only one that's actually scared at those Twitter messages? They're probably just saying those kind of things. Happens all the time. <<;

Nahh, I am more concerned with the general panic that went like wild fire through the RDN and EqD because of the initial announcement. The unfiltered nature of the Internet tends to take a mildly sad announcement and turn it into the end of the world for no good reason.

Purple Monkey Dishwasher.

hi hi

I think people's concerns are valid, especially when the details are a bit unclear, things like this have happened before in other franchises. (X-Men 3 anyone?) But I think in this case it seems more likely that everything will continue on as before. I'm a bit worried about Hasbro increasing deadline pressure and cutting funding, but that has always been a concern and we really haven't been told much at all about what they're doing.

In any case, nothing they do now can take away the magic of season 1. Iron breakfast kazoo.

I think the only thing that could really send my heart racing would be if a major character changed voice actor. :D

I never want that to happen...although if it had to be done, I would prefer a voice actor change than pulling the show's plug, like they did with Reboot (Oh God WHY).

Maybe the show will be like Reboot, which got much better as the series went on (Season three and four being vastly superior too season two, which was superior to season one).

I'm starting to really think this might be the case. Lauren had vision, but she did very strongly pass that on to everyone involved- all the people working on MLP:FiM have that vision, and have made MLP:FiM what it is. I really don't think they are going to stray from the incredible influence and reaction they have received for what they have done right. This *could* very well be Faust seeing that this is beginning to run on its own- and she has her hands in many other projects. Perhaps she's stepping back now because she feels confident that while in someone else's hands, things might change slightly, but the core of the show, and what she invested in it for it to be, will remain the same. I highly doubt Faust would leave as a type of 'abandonment' or even 'defeat', over a project she obviously cared so intensely about. Maybe we will all be very very surprised and pleased.

Umm, I just did a brief search, and I'm pretty sure McCracken was there for all of PPG's entirety.

I couldn't find it in a search, but your sleuthing skills are legendary, so I'll defer to you here. Especially considering my source is "some guy on /co/."

Wow, totally missed page 2 of this. Some of my fears are quelled (if she is largely in the same pre-production role, then is it safe to conclude that she's pretty much directing pre-production? If so, that's wonderful news), but I've still my doubts. Does anypony know in more detail what happens during production and post-production for animation? Is production like recording voice, music, and post like animation?

I worry about the future of the show. I just hope they do not try to enhance what made the show amazing. I have seen it too many times before.

What do you mean? Examples?

Well the development teams for certain shows seem to be awestruck by the popularity of their show. Well things will go well for a short amount of time and then an important member of the team will leave. After that the team decides to "make the show better" one way or another. This can end up ruining the show for the fans. Look at spongebob. If you compare seasons 1-3 to seasons 4-8 you will notice the decline. I have noticed the same for shows like Supernatural, CSI, Heroes, Ed Edd and Eddy, George Lopez, etc. It is not pretty. I think season 2 will be fine because she still has her hands in things kinda. I just do not think a season 3 will happen and if it does it might disappoint.

Umm, I just did a brief search, and I'm pretty sure McCracken was there for all of PPG's entirety.

Incorrect. The last 3 seasons were done completely without him due to him starting work on Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

However PPG didn't "lose him after 1", since it had 6 seasons total.

I worry about the future of the show. I just hope they do not try to enhance what made the show amazing. I have seen it too many times before.

What do you mean? Examples?

Well the development teams for certain shows seem to be awestruck by the popularity of their show. Well things will go well for a short amount of time and then an important member of the team will leave. After that the team decides to "make the show better" one way or another. This can end up ruining the show for the fans. Look at spongebob. If you compare seasons 1-3 to seasons 4-8 you will notice the decline. I have noticed the same for shows like Supernatural, CSI, Heroes, Ed Edd and Eddy, George Lopez, etc. It is not pretty. I think season 2 will be fine because she still has her hands in things kinda. I just do not think a season 3 will happen and if it does it might disappoint.

You're pretty much describing the nature of every show that has ever been concieved. Every succesful TV show has a beginning, a honeymoon period, some more great success, and then a decline. Right now, I'd say we're at the end of the honeymoon period.

Lucky for us, this show is kind of timeless, at will be an awesome cartoon to look back on 10 years from now.

My thought bubbles.

-Aww, Faust did a fantastic job on the show. At least she's keeping her hooves in the shallow ends of the production, so she can keep an eye on it.

- I'm hoping that the writers, animators, and everyone else on the team has realized just how ATTENTIVE the show's fans are, and kinda how we 'make' the show too. (ex: Derpy) So, if they don't want to lose face, keep there ears on the fans! We really do have good ideas!

- OMG Derpy is a full character now omgomgomgomgomg I hope they keep her name!

- Hasbro had BETTER not try and stick there ugly mugs into the show too far. We've seen what bad decisions they've made (ex: G3.5 horrors) and if they really want to cash in on the show, let the show's team do their job right.

When they say Derpy is a full character, they merely mean they are ACTIVELY using her in her current role the same way for season 2, rather than making her on mere accident. It's not likely to be a speaking character role!

When they say Derpy is a full character, they merely mean they are ACTIVELY using her in her current role the same way for season 2, rather than making her on mere accident. It's not likely to be a speaking character role!

The possibility of her taking a speaking or even primary role for an episode was not ruled out, though. (I think it's unlikely)

I guess we'll mostly see her on the level of her role in "Feeling Pinkie Keen". More mailmare shenanigans, please!

I kind of agree with most bronies that have said the show may not change. I mean, as it has been pointed out over and over again, the show is the work of many, not just one.

I personally am looking forward to season 2, whether speculations point to jumping sharks or more pony awesomeness like season 1, with a little extra Derpy thrown in the mix XD. Heck, I'm just waiting for my paycheck to buy season 1 on iTunes, and when the DVDs come out, I plan to buy those too.

I'm a Brony, and as a brony I like to think that we will stick with our ponies through thick and thin.