Horror Games! Come here to talk about your favorites.

I love horror games, my favorite being the Silent Hill franchise. My friends have actually pointed out that I look like James Sunderland from SH2.

I think a lot of Horror games are underrated, I mean everypony by now knows of Amnesia and Slender, but what games like Condemned and Fear?

So go ahead with this thread, let your comments about horrors/why you like them/why you cant stand them but still buy them overflow!

So I just picked up Fear 2, I was also going to buy the first one, but unfortunately they didnt have the actual disc. I started playing it knowing the premise of how creepy little Alma wanted to Om Nom Nom on the protagonist. When I first saw Alma I legitimately freaked out. The little girl was standing right behind me when I turned around. That was an excellent first scare. however, I quickly noticed that Little Alma appeared less and less and visions of grown up Alma attacked my character. Kids are much creepier than adults, and I thought this was a bit of a downfall.

I remember back in early 90's a computer game called "Alone in the Dark" then the polygon graphics were state of art, now looks like rubbish, but I still find more scary a boxy poligonal monster than any today's character

The house of the dead was a zombie joke PERIOD

"The Devil Inside" was a resident evil like 3d shooter that AFAIK was only released bundled in magazines as a freebie, the game actually was quite decent, albeit can not run on XP or upper systems, the whole horror factor relied in A: Ghosts, and B: Derelict Victorian age sceneries. For many people old tech or old appliances could seem scary... I like that sort of appliances, so was a cool 3ds game for me. The game features great music and original characters (heck, a phantom grampa hovering in a la-z-boy with miniguns? awesome)

Just a quick note about FEAR and the horror genre...

The main reason FEAR is generally looked down upon in terms of horror is because the franchise chose to abandon it's horror roots in favor of straight up combat. FEAR 1 was a great game with a truly frightening atmosphere. It managed to seamlessly combine horror and combat, and the formula worked. To this day I still have nightmares about the hospital section of that game...

Things started to go downhill in FEAR 2. While it still had it moments of horror, the game suffered from being fragmented and repetitive. FEAR 1 managed to combine horror and combat, while FEAR 2 divided the two, which really hurt the overall pacing of the game, and the effectiveness of the horror aspects as well. FEAR 2 plays like this... Scary section with minimal combat -> Generic shooting section with lots of combat -> Scary section with minimal combat -> Generic shooting section with lots of combat...rinse and repeat.

And then there is F3AR (FEAR 3)...I'm going to be completely honest. This game was NOT scary. FEAR 3 is a straight up FPS with almost no horror elements. This game single-handedly ruined a potentially great horror character (Alma). It was a decent FPS, but it completely abandoned its horror roots.

Oddly enough, this EXACT sequence of events is being repeated by the Dead Space franchise.

Oh dear me, I'm not much of one for the horror genre, but when I see a game I like, I see a game I love. So coming from the depths of terror and what not, my favorite series would have to be the chzo mythos games. Definitely a lesser known game given its indy status and even with not terribly impressive graphics it is an utterly chilling game. The enemies scare you, the environment is terribly frightening, and the reoccurring villains and heroes are extremely well done.

Oh, the most frightening part would have to be the tall man. Think Slender man, only instead he carries a large four sided scythe, so its fairly clear what his intent is. Doesn't make it any less scary though.

'Fear' and 'great game' should never be used in the same sentance. Unless it's "any game is a great game when comparied to Fear."

I thought is was bland FPS with an old and over used time slowing mechanic. That it managed to ruin. It also wasn't scary in the slightest.

Silent Hill 2 is a master peice in every way possible (apart from combat).

Homecoming and Downpour should not be mentioned.

But if we're talking about strait up scares, you can't go past Dark Descent. But we all knew that would be brought up.

An underapreceated horror game would be Condemned: CO and Bloodshot. Has a good atmosphere and some rather tence bits. Its best achivement was still being 'scary' by using only drunk guys and some mannequins.

Sorry, but I can't jump on the Silent Hill 2 bandwagon. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that game holds great nostalgic value to those who played it years ago, but as a horror game it simply does not stand up to other titles in the genre today. Because I hadn't played it and have heard so much about it, I decided to give it a try a couple years ago, and it was completely okay across the board, and was certainly not a frightening experience in the slightest.

Sorry, but I can't jump on the Silent Hill 2 bandwagon. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that game holds great nostalgic value to those who played it years ago, but as a horror game it simply does not stand up to other titles in the genre today. Because I hadn't played it and have heard so much about it, I decided to give it a try a couple years ago, and it was completely okay across the board, and was certainly not a frightening experience in the slightest.

Frightening? Not in the slightest. Just ignore the fact I may have insinuated that..

I didn't play it years ago, I just picked up the HD collection the other month. The story and symbolism it really what the game has going for it.

Guess I feel the same way about Fear as you do about SH2.

URRRG...Dead space.

Not scary. But has the best sound I have ever heard in a video game ever. I'm reluctant to use the word 'ironic' because some of the best parts of those games are in the vacuum of space.

Ugh, I didn't even think Dead Space 2 was scary, just really gory.

I agree with that. I LOVED and HATED 'Dead Space', mostly because it scared me so much. Then I heard about the release of its sequel and I was very excited! But...the first playthrough or so, there were a few jumpscares but nothing REALLY up to par with its predecessor. Indeed, DS2 was intended for gore and failing at big jumpscares. The third is going to be the same I feel, but who knows until you try it?

My favorite games to play that are of the horror genre?

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

The Condemned Series

F.E.A.R.

Nightmare House 2 (HL2 Source Mod)

Alan Wake

Dead Space

Slender

Ju-On: The Haunted House Simulator

The Calling

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Silent Hill 3

Fatal Frame

I'm pretty much in the same boat as everyone else it seems. Dead Space and Silent Hill weren't all that scary for me, probably because I am immune to jump scares. I'm as mellow as a 60's hippy most of the time, so jump scares just jolt me up to "normal" on the alertness scale. Alan Wake... I loved Alan Wake mostly for the story, and the senior citizen rock legends :) Thor and Odin FTW!

My horror games of choice would have to be The White Chamber, and The Chzo Mythos games (Love that hat Trilby) probably because I just love indie games.

Just a quick note about FEAR and the horror genre...

The main reason FEAR is generally looked down upon in terms of horror is because the franchise chose to abandon it's horror roots in favor of straight up combat. FEAR 1 was a great game with a truly frightening atmosphere. It managed to seamlessly combine horror and combat, and the formula worked. To this day I still have nightmares about the hospital section of that game...

Things started to go downhill in FEAR 2. While it still had it moments of horror, the game suffered from being fragmented and repetitive. FEAR 1 managed to combine horror and combat, while FEAR 2 divided the two, which really hurt the overall pacing of the game, and the effectiveness of the horror aspects as well. FEAR 2 plays like this... Scary section with minimal combat -> Generic shooting section with lots of combat -> Scary section with minimal combat -> Generic shooting section with lots of combat...rinse and repeat.

And then there is F3AR (FEAR 3)...I'm going to be completely honest. This game was NOT scary. FEAR 3 is a straight up FPS with almost no horror elements. This game single-handedly ruined a potentially great horror character (Alma). It was a decent FPS, but it completely abandoned its horror roots.

Oddly enough, this EXACT sequence of events is being repeated by the Dead Space franchise.

While I agree with you about FEAR, alot of gamers say the same the about the Resident Evil franchise

Believe it or not, I still find Resident Evil to be scary nowadays for one reason and one reason only : The enemy design,

I'm sorry, but while Resident Evil 5 wasn't scary at all, Resident Evil 4 DEFINED horror for me, whenever you got a ton of ammo, there was always an El Gigante fight waiting for you in the next room, I had nightmares because of that freaking Regenerator, and I have a more powerful healing Factor than it.

While I agree with you about FEAR, alot of gamers say the same the about the Resident Evil franchise

Believe it or not, I still find Resident Evil to be scary nowadays for one reason and one reason only : The enemy design,

I'm sorry, but while Resident Evil 5 wasn't scary at all, Resident Evil 4 DEFINED horror for me, whenever you got a ton of ammo, there was always an El Gigante fight waiting for you in the next room, I had nightmares because of that freaking Regenerator, and I have a more powerful healing Factor than it.

I agree that Resident Evil 4 is indeed the best RE to date.

My horror games of choice would have to be The White Chamber, and The Chzo Mythos games (Love that hat Trilby) probably because I just love indie games.

Haha, another fan of Chzo! I was starting to wonder if anypony else had played the series.

*ahem* Let me just build a quick list.

Silent Hill Series

Lone Survivor

Ib

Amnesia: The Dark Descent

Chzo Mythos Series

Resident Evil (The Earlier Ones)

Slender, Sanatorium, etc.

Umm... that's all I can think of off the top of my head... the Horror genre has been lacking as of late :sniff:

I skipped out on Penumbra but the survival horror genre is mah JAM! To me the greats will always be the First Resident Evil Game. The first time the zombie turns his head after decapitating Kenneth was just surreal. System Shock 2 if anypony is a pc gamer. Something about mutated crew members begging for death while attacking you always stuck with me. The first FEAR game. Smartest A.I. on the planet. Slender because...well its SLENDER MAN! Fatal Frame. First game to EVER cause me to yell out loud. The Broken neck ghost was just a pain...and scary. Silent HIll Series if you want a good story and a mind buck. Alone in the Dark on the PC was awesome. Phantasmagoria...terrible game but still had its moments. This list is getting long and telling me something about myself lol. BUt i could go on. Those are my favs though. All time fav game of all time! Resident Evil 2. Cant get enough of it.

I don't like nor have favorite horror games, and I've only really played one.

Ib. That game is the scariest game I have ever had the misfortune of playing. It's a good game, with lots of jump scares. If you're into those kinds of things, go play that game. The horror level of that game is off the scale on a scale of one to infinity. I really think it deserves it's own thread for discussion, but that's off topic.

Resident Evil Series. Who didn't jump when they first played Resident Evil and the zombie dogs jumped out the window. If you said you didn't jump then your a Liar!

House of the dead was not scary, but was a fun horror game that made you jump if you weren't paying attention or got distracted.