In Defence of Fort Book! [All welcome]

Archturus

[colour=#4b0082]In Defence of Fort Book[/colour]

It’s the weekend, and the great library of Canterlot should be closed for the next few days for some much needed renovation. Supposedly accessible only to authorised members of the palace staff, no pony has noticed the muffled sounds coming from deep within the maze of shelves. You know what they say; while the cats are away, the mice will play.

Under the pretence of going out for a picnic, the foals of Canterlot have gained entry to this normally forbidden playground. Having snuck a key from one of your parents, your herd has brought along everything you need for a day out away from the prying eyes of your guardians. Now within the Library, there’s only one possible thing to be done. Build a Book Fort!

This is a light hearted RP intended for all who wish to join. The task? Build a book fort and protect it from the evil gribbles of your imaginations! Join in with whatever young characters you want, whether a representation of your forum persona, or a known foal / OC from Main RP. Players are encouraged to add elements of comedy and adventure.

Above all; HAVE FUN :D

Canterlot Library. By far the largest collection of magical and mundane texts reside on its three open plan floors, tucked into thousands of carefully organised rows of shelving. On such a weekend as this, there would have been little room to manoeuvre through the packed foyer as dozens of scholars, students and citizens delved into the bastion of knowledge. This particular day though was a librarian’s dream, silence had descended upon every isle and desk. True, areas were roped off ready for the builders to resume work and dust sheets covered every conservable surface, but that did not detract from the serenity that was a quiet library.

That was, until the maintenance exit clanged open to a flurry of nervous whinnies and muffled ‘shush’ing.

Normally this was one of those places foals avoided as though it had cooties, just like the doctors, the dentist and any food remotely healthy for them. Yet despite the fear of catching terminal boredom, the deep silence that had these empty halls now been interrupted by a plethora of shuffling hooves and excited whispers.

Archie nickered softly as he gazed around in awe at the decorative glass dome far above his tiny head. True, the young foal had been here once before when his mother needed some books for her final dissertation, but back then he’d been far too busy complaining about not being allowed outside to notice the sheer scale of the building around him.

He couldn’t remember whose idea it had been, but everypony had been up for it after somepony said they could get the key to the backdoor. Now they had the biggest playground in the whole world all to themselves!

After a short trot through the aisles of covered books, several impromptu games of tag had broken out among the small herd. Many didn’t notice the sign hanging above the door way in front of them, fewer still could have read the magic runes across its surface, labling this area as the ‘Deep Magics’ department.

While his friends charged around the long open spaces the library offered, Archie began examining a very large tome that had been carefully set aside. Taller than the colt and almost as wide, the book was clearly ancient and probably invaluable. It was perfect!

Wriggling around the back of the giant volume, the excitable colt hefted his withers against its papery surface. With a loud ‘whumph’ a plume of dust rolled out across the marbled floor.

Standing atop the thick pedestal, Archie pushed out his chest proudly and announced to the world;

“I am Sir Archie Bighoof! Gatekeepor of Fort Book and Knight of Librari-ninium! Man the walls Brothers and Sisters, the evil army of evilness marches upon us come the morn!”

So enthralled with his grandstanding, the colt failed to notice the slim purple glow that shimmered briefly from between the ancient tome’s pages.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"And I... Moonlight Rover! The protector of justice! I'm ready to do anything to stop them if it is cost to my life!" Said Moonlight as she salutated to Archie. "Sir Archie Bighoof! We need to build out our defensive lines." Moonlight looked at him with a serious face.

“Good that you stand with us, Moonlight the Just! With justice on our side, we are sure to win the day!”

Jumping down from his short pedestal, the butterscotch Paint Earthpony gestured to the tall shelves that stretched around the gathered foals.

“These hills are rich in.... stuff for us to use. Come! Let us mine some -errrm- Bookite stone for mighty walls!”

With that, Archie ran up to the nearest shelf and heaved another large book from its home. Pushing it across the floor with outstretched fore-hooves, the foal started trying to lift the heavy tome upright.

"I will do my best, Sir Archie Bighoof!" Said Moonlight and grabbed a heavy book, like Archie. "Sir Archie Bighoof! These Bookite stones are very heavy! They will probably hold back the evil forces!" Moonlight lifted the book next to Archies and as soon as she lifted it she went to find another. "Anyway"-she said as she took off another from the shelves. "What we know about the enemy?"

Manzanita (also known as Manny) wasn't fond of books but she decided that if the others were going to play she would too. She quickly managed a wobbly book fort of her own and stood before it with a look of determination. "I declare war on you Sir Archie and the ponies of Fort Book! Prepare yourselves." she declared.

"Lady Manzanita! Dont do this!"

Said Moonlight Rover when she heared that Manzanita declared war against them. Moonlight put down the book and turned into her way.

"We need to work together or nobody will survive the attack of the evil forces! They will destroy us...they will destroy everything and bring corruption to the earth if we dont fight with them together!"

Moonlight tried to persude Manzanita.

Manzanita looked shaken at the news. "Fine, we''l be stronger if we work together." she said before helping the others fortify Fort Book.

"Im glad you changed your mind, Lady Manzanita"

Said Moonlight but she was mistrustful in her after what she have wanted do. Moonlight started to collect bookite-stones to the wall again but after a short time she stopped.

"Sir Archie Bighoof, Lady Manzanita! Allow me to recon the area after we finished the wall. I will creat a map from it and i will bring it back into Fort Book. Maybe i will find different materials what we can use to fortify our glorious fort."

She asked from them and grabbed another book from the shelf than pushed it to the others.

Moondust had been building her fort off to the side. She thought it'd be fun to come and play with the others, and her elder sister said it would be okay anyways. "Archie, what can i be? I wanna be important too..." Moondust said bashfully. She dropped a light book she had been carrying to form a sort of wall. "Can I be important too?" She asked softly.

A stunning alabaster foal with a prominent horn and long mane of flaxen hair strode through the long aisles of books. Well-Heeled had overheard several of the more common ponies talking about sneaking into the library, and there was no way he was going to be left out of that. Well, that had seemed prudent at the time, now they'd all run off to play common games of tag and bulldog, leaving Heeled strolling the corridors on his lonesome. If only he could find a couple of foals with some bearing, then maybe he could have some real fun. He tugged at his fine, regal purple cloak he had received from his father as a birthday present last year that. It had silver inlaying and a golden clasp in the shape of a leaf that secured it around the front of his neck. Suddenly a loud shout from around the aisles caught his attention:

"Sir Archie Bighoof, Lady Manzanita!

Ah, real distinguished ponies! This is where he would fit in. He strode around the corner to see a group of foals had constructed a fort out of books. Books would hardly make a decent construction material, but they were referring to each other as Lords and Ladies... why this was his chance. He stomped his forehooves against the floor loudly, and then strode on around the corner. He looked to the group with a gleam in his eye, as he noticed that there were only four foals there, and none had claimed the right to be King yet. "Greetings, my friends! I have noticed that your little party is seriously lacking in royalty. I submit my own application as King Helios of the Canterlot Library. Doesn't that sound grand?"

"Greetings, my friends! I have noticed that your little party is seriously lacking in royalty. I submit my own application as King Helios of the Canterlot Library. Doesn't that sound grand?"

Manzanita looked at the alabaster colt with scrutiny. "Can you lead? Are your fair? Celestia can do those things. That's why she's royalty."

Well-Heeled glanced over the young filly that approached him with an arrogant smile. "Why, of course I'm fair! And Celestia is royalty because she has the jewellery! Look, I have this fancy cape with a golden button! Purple is the colour of Royalty you know, and my cloak is purple!" He shouted childishly. "Anyway, my dad works in the royal court, and as the pony of highest station it only makes sense that I should be King! Besides, as King, I'll have Sir Knight here lead the armies, so that won't be a problem." He pointed with a hoof at Sir Archie Bighoof as he mentioned Sir Knight.

As all this was going on, a young light green filly with a similarly shaded blue mane listened from behind a large stack of spell tomes with growing interest and apprehension. There were hordes of evil approaching? And they only had a few sword swingers with them to protect their mighty fort? Not on her watch! She had to help them somehow, or her name wasn't Overeasy!

But the question was, how could she help them? All she had to offer at the moment were these...spell books...hmm...that was it!

[colour=#00ff00]"Worry not, mortals! For I, Overeasy the masterful Eggnomancer, have decided to join you on your radtastic mission![/colour]"The Unicorn declared and jumped from behind her stack with pzazz , before offering her hoof to Well-Heeled and Manzanitia,[colour=#00ff00]"Wassup, my mortals?"[/colour]

Dawn Sunrise had been silently reading, unlike the other foals who had been playing. She silently read to herself until Archie had declared himself as gatekeeper of a place called "Fort Book" and several other ponies gathered around, starting a slight uproar.

The little filly got to her hooves and marched over to them, about to tell them all to be quiet before they get in trouble by some older pony. Then she remembered the reason she was there: they had the entire library to themselves and it was their playground! She quickly built herself a tall throne slightly off to Archie's pedestal's right and perched herself onto it, looking down at everypony around the partially constructed wall. She found a few sheets of scratch paper and folded them into a small crown which she placed on her head, right behind her horn and resting on her red and red-orange mane.

"I am Princess Dawn, ruler of Fort Book!! And I will protect my kingdom and subjects with my life!! No forces of evil shall harm us within the walls of our kingdom!!...Well, I guess we should finish the wall first.."

This said, the splashed-white filly quickly hopped off her throne and began helping build a wall around Fort Book.

The young rusty redish-brown coloured earth filly stared at the eggnomancer. She wondered what an eggnomancer was but decided to just go along with it. She just sat on her rump and turned to deal with her other dilemma she had. She quickly blew a dark green lock of her mane out of her eyes and looked from the alabaster colt to the red orange maned filly, both proudly proclaimed to be royalty. She was confused on who she should choose. "What makes you fit to be princess?" she asked the new comer.

(I'd just like to add that this is a role play within a role play.)

Dawn stood tall and held her head high. She smiled at the filly before her, who was questioning her right to the throne.

"What makes me fit to rule as princess? Well, I'm a wonderful leader. I'm a fair leader. I treat my subjects with kindness and respect. I will defend and protect my kingdom from all forces of evil. I will ensure Fort Book prospers and flourishes!!"

Proud of herself, Dawn faced Manzanita, a look of determination on her face.

"I, Dawn Sunrise, will ensure peace, prosperity, and harmony within the walls of Fort Book for all eternity. So, Lady Manzanita, will you accept me as your princess?"

Dawn's expression changed to a more serious tone. She wasn't going to force the Manzanita to be under the rule of her, so it seemed best to let her decide for herself.

"I support Princess Dawn in this. We need somebody to rule this place and she sounds enough trustful for me." Said Moonlight the Just as she lifted another book in its place. "This is my own opinion."-she said and grabbed another book.

The newly elected princess beamed with delight. She was happy to hear that ponies would follow her. She began to hop around in little circles, too excited to sustain her princess-like composure.

"Yes yes yes!! Yes!! Yes yes!! Yeees!!"

Remembering where she was, she stopped and smiled feebly, a bit embarrassed by her actions. Dawn turned to face Manzanita once more.

"Lady Manzanita, thank you. As your new princess, I promise I will not fail you."

Princess Dawn thought it was best to resume construction on the wall. She once more began placing books along the wall, until she heard Moonlight say she seemed like a trustful ruler. Once again, she began bouncing around as a happy go lucky filly.

Moonlight pushed the heavy book through the floor. "There shall be easier way for this."-she thought in herself than she get an idea. "Princess Dawn! Maybe we can find something which make our work easier. Allow me to look around"-she said and waited for the response from her new leader.

The Mage of Eggs began shaking her head violently at these sudden loyalties being made, how could they forsake a wise and powerful King in favour of a Princess? Weren't Kings like, supposed to be more powerful than Princesses? Well, she certainly thought so! And plus, that King had a robe! And we all know real rulers had those instead of paper crowns!

[colour=#00ff00]"I oppose this false ruler, man! All hail the king!"[/colour] She declared and blew her long mane out of her eyes and stood tall[colour=#00ff00],"All the true defenders of BookFortica would follow King...Dude to victory and awesome CASTLES of MAGICAL proportions!"[/colour] She explained, putting special emphasis on the words castles and magical as she rushed over to the self-proclaimed King,[colour=#00ff00]"I, the mystical lady of the Eggnomantic arts, support the King!"[/colour]

"[colour=#00ff00]Nut ah! Lies and Blashphemey" [/colour]She cried, mis-pronouncing the word blasphemy as she stomped both her fore-hooves against the ground in anger, how dare this foalish mortal disrespect her monarch? She will not let such a heinous crime go unpunished![colour=#00ff00]"Why don't you say that to my face, you stupid rock!" [/colour]She demanded childisly, why couldn't he see she was right? King Heel was obviously the best choice!

The princess of Fort Book stopped with her foalish hopping and faced Moonlight.

"Oh, yes. Feel free to search to your heart's content. Just don't stray to far from Fort Book."

Dawn then turned away from the other filly to check on her other subjects, but was stopped by the sound of somepony who opposed to her ruling and supported a king. Dawn hadn't fully realized there was a king, being too busy declaring her self as princess. Maybe if she could find a way to get this so called king to join her in ruling Fort Book, then the filly Overeasy would be more than willing to be part of her kingdom. As long as things didn't take a turn for the worst...

"Lady Overeasy, the great and powerful...eggnomancer? Please, I do not wish for conflict within the walls Fort Book. Join us, and I promise you prosperity and success for years to come!!"

She turned over and glared gently at Manzanita. She wished there would be no conflict between this king and his subjects and herself.

"I am no better than king...who ever he is, Rell Wheeled? And he is no better than me. I'm sure this king is a fine ruler, and would be a great addition to Fort Book. King Rell Wheeled, wherever you may be, I ask of you to join me as ruler of Fort Book."

As she spoke she looked around, awaiting a response from this king that Overeasy spoke so highly of.