In Defence of Fort Book! [All welcome]

Archturus

"Thank you Princess Dawn"-said Moonlight as she bowed to her. After that Moonlight looked around in Fort Book and shortly she found a broom in the corner. "Great! That can be my weapon."-she said and grabbed the broom. "I just need a shield more than i leave Fort Book"-she said to herself as she walked along the shelfes of Fort Book. She hoped that she will find a thinner book which she can use for shield, but all of the books was big as the others. Shorly she heared that somepony had argument but she didnt heared clearly becuse she was at the other side of Fort Book than. She realized that she is was alone there and that was a big problem becuse if the evil army attacks the Fort from behind there wont be anypony there to repell the attack. "I will discuss this with the Princess"-she said than she saw something not far from her. A wooden board hanged on one of the shelfes with this sign: "History" It was enough thin to be a shield so Moonlight grabbed it and her equipment was finally complete. "Let see what can i find otside."-she said and left Fort Book.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The self-proclaimed King Helios, or Well Heeled to anypony who actually knew him, was outraged at this declaration of Princesshood. How could they possibly choose some commoner with a crown of paper over a court born noble with an incredible cloak! Before he has a chance to express his outrage, the newcomer flew to his side. This... er... eggnomancer? Really? Does she resurrect chickens? Wait, did she just call me King Dude? Well, I suppose beggars can't be choosers.

Helios glared angrily at Manzanita. "A King outranks a Princess. And any commoner should know to keep their tongue under control when speaking to their betters. Now run along and help fortify the walls. Do something useful, while we Royalty discuss this."

Helios then turned to the Princess who seemed to be trying a new tact. "As much as I'd like to bury the hatchet, I cannot see us coexisting peacefully unless you back down. If you still insist on being the Princess, then me and aubergine here will go and build our own magnificent castle!"

Dawn was furious, but she tried to keep her anger from showing, as to not set off sparks between her and the king. This being quite difficult with the king being stubborn.

"You say we can coexist if I back down from my current position of Princess. But we wouldn't really be coexisting unless you also backed down from your state of royalty. Either we can coexist as royalty, or as commoners. And if you prefer neither of those, go ahead and make your own kingdom, just be prepared for the conquest of Fort Book."

No way in Equestria would Dawn back down. Why should she be the subordinate of some foal wearing some silly cape? She stomped her hoof in frustration, thinking of how to prevent further conflict.

How dare he dismiss me! M[colour=#000000]anz[/colour][colour=#000000]anit[/colour][colour=#000000]a thought [/colour][colour=#000000]angrily. She slowly b[/colour][colour=#000000]acked [/colour][colour=#000000]aw[/colour][colour=#000000]ay from Well Heeled [/colour][colour=#000000]and kicked the shelves behind him, c[/colour][colour=#000000]ausing the books to f[/colour][colour=#000000]all down on top of him. "Oh look more books for the [/colour][colour=#000000]w[/colour][colour=#000000]all. Guess I did something useful." she s[/colour][colour=#000000]aid smugly.[/colour]

Overeasy could not help but scoff at the Princess's offer, who did she think she was? Acting like she was going to be some Alicorny ruler? Well she wasn't going to take it standing up!

Just as she was about to offer an angry rebuttal, her King finally chose to speak up and tell the phony off,[colour=#00ff00]"Haha! You tell 'em, my lord!" [/colour]She laughed smugly, as he began talking about building their own castle, she couldn't help but grin,"It will be the greatest castle ever! With a Wizard Tower and everything!" She promised with a spark of her horn.

Just as she began suffering from the very minor head pain of using magic at her age, she saw, out of the corner of her eye, a young assassin pushing books down upon her Lord! She could not allow this!

With a battle cry of [colour=#00ff00]"I'll scramble your face!"[/colour] She leapt towards the Arrogant King and knocked him out away from the books, taking the blow herself.

"How dare you interfere! That was meant for him! You can't do that, that's cheating!" whined Manzanita. She couldn't believe that the other filly had the gal to to do what she did.

Well Heeled listened to the Princess indignantly. If she wouldn't step down, then there was no point being King. Might as well just throw on some rags and go farming. He always played the King. "Fine! This fort is sloppily constructed anyway. Good luck surviving a dragon attack in this hole!" He retorted nastily and turned to leave when he suddenly found himself thrown to the floor. Then books were everywhere, turning the fort into a pile. Heeled rose back to his hooves, gave one sharp look at Manzanita and the "Princess" and stormed off, unaware of how close it had come to being him that was buried under a mountain of books.

Manzanita just glared at Well Heeled's retreating form. She wanted to throw herself to the floor and scream. He dismissed her and got away with it! It took all of her strength to not throw a tantrum.

Dawn was about to retort for the "King" insulting her kingdom, which is going through some major renovations, until she noticed Manny, ready to assisinate the foalish king. She smiled at the thought of defeating her enemy so soon, but her short lived joy was ended by the eggnomancer, who gave her life to save King Rell Wheeled. Long live the king.....

As the arrogant, stubborn, meanie-head king strode off, Dawn galloped over to Manzanita.

"Lady Manzanita!! If you're going to discharge of somepony be sure to do it right. But for now, take that filly and put her in our dungeon as prisoner. I'll be back at Fort Book, I must warn our kingdom that we have a new enemy and we may be going to war..."

Orders given, Princess Dawn slowly trotted back within fort book, devising a battle plan as she went.

After a short walk Moonlight reached the entrance of a chamber. It was so dark inside so Moonlight stopped and hasitated a bit. "This can be the end of the Sacred Ground..."-she said to herself as she looked through the door into the dusk. "Creepy..."-she said as she stepped inside. "I hope... i will find some kind of light source"-she wishpered than she knocked into something and fall to the ground. She saw a strange shadow front of herself so she whipped out her sword and held her shield in front of herself. "Who are you!"-she shouted to the silhouette as she got into defensive position. But she didnt got response so she stabbed the shadow with her sword than the shadow fall to the ground and made a loud

noise. "What was that..."-said Moonlight as she stepped closer to the strange shadow but she stil didnt see it clearly. "Never mind...It will probably not cause any other problames."-she

said than left that thing there. "I should not stay here for a long time..."-she said as she started to hear different noises from the distance. "No...Im Moonlight Rover the Just! I will do what the best to the Fort so if i can gather information from the enemy which we can use in the future to stop them...than i will do it."-she said and went deeper in the unknown.

Overeasy groggily noticed being pulled off as she was pulled out of the pile of ancient tomes she had saved her king from, wait...who was pulling her?

[colour=#282828]"Time to go to the dungeon prisoner."[/colour]

[colour=#282828]What? She was a mighty wizard! She could not be sent to a Dungeon! She would not stand for such nonsense coming from a lowly, uneducated, un-magical mortal! It would be a shame she could never live down! So, she began remembering what she had been taught at the Northern Librarium Tower of Eggnomancy, where her mind had been molded by the very finest Eggnomancers to ever grace the Physical Plane.[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Let me go, man![/colour][colour=#282828]" She ordered viciously, her horn sparking a tad,"[/colour][colour=#00FF00]Or I will unleash magic so powerful that you will never be able to use your face again!"[/colour][colour=#282828] She gave the best threat she could give and awaited her captors pleas of mercy.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]She shall receive none...she shall be scrambled.[/colour]

"Ye[colour=#000000]ah right." M[/colour][colour=#000000]anny huffed, not believing the supposed eggnom[/colour][colour=#000000]ancer. "Wh[/colour][colour=#000000]at [/colour][colour=#000000]are you going to do, shoot glitter [/colour][colour=#000000]at me?" she te[/colour][colour=#000000]ased.[/colour]

Well Heeled marched staunchly around the corner without casting a single look back at their horrid eyesore they called a fort. How hard could it be to create his own castle? Those fools managed it just fine. He just needed to find a better base, there had to be some tables or something around here. These bookshelves sure were confusing. Must be very easy to get lost in here, he mused to himself as he trotted along. If he had been paying more attention to his surroundings he would have noticed the library was growing darker the further into it he went. When he finally did notice, he thought nothing of it. Just a few absent candles. Thanks to his excellent tutelage, Well Heeled had managed to actually learn a few spells, and he demonstrated one right now with a very basic illumination spell, letting his horn act as a torch. Satisfied that he could see, he continued into the maze of shelves.

Moonlight walked along in the dark room when she saw some light source from the distance. she pulled out her sword again and started to approach it. She reached a corner and the light come from the other side of it. She took a deep breath then left the corner when she saw that something living made the light. "Who are you! Are you friendly? Im Moonlight Rover the Just! Defender of Fort Book! If you an evil creature surrender now or you will be beaten!"-she shouted when she realized that was another pony.

Well-Heeled would never admit it, but he was now really lost. He had never been this deep into the library before, and the tomes were getting dustier and dustier. It seemed like very few ponies ever came this far into the place. The light of his horn played shadows against some of the corners and Well-Heeled more than once mistook them for something else. It would be very easy to get caught up in the fantasy they were all into out here. Well-Heeled gave an apprehensive glance back and then forwards again, and on seeing nopony, he reached for an imaginary blade.

He was now Duke Helios of Bookshire. A noble whose dukedom had fallen to the encroaching shadow, and once the next-in-line for the throne of the Canterlot Library before being ousted by his distant cousin, Princess Dawn. He needed to rally the loyalists and retake his castle. A sudden shout from his side sent him reeling as the fantasy unrolled around him. He then heard her speech and was instantly drawn back in.

"I am Duke Helios of Bookshire! Rightful heir to the throne! If you serve my traitor of a cousin, then you shall taste my enchanted steel!" he shouted as he held aloft his unnaturally glinting blade of light... or he held thin air if we're talking about in reality.

Duke Helios...hmm...i never heared about you."-she said as she approached him slowly but she didnt see clearly, because the light which came from Duke Helios blinded her a bit. "I serve Princess Dawn..."-she said. "You said.. you are her cousin...right? then why are you here?"-she asked from him while she stayed in defensive pose. "you shall be in Fort Book and help her in the leading." Moonlight just saw a shadow in the middle of the light and she was sure about that if they will fight she will be in handicap.

"You've never heard of Duke Helios?! Brother to Prince Dashing, and son of King Sceptre?! Well, it's not that surprising. My family always hated me. That's why they gave me that tiny hamlet in the middle of nowhere and fobbed me off as duke. I bet they planned to have Princess Dawn on the throne all along," Helios said grandly, making stuff up at a rather impressive pace. He had read quite a few books on Medieval adventures, and he knew that as the King-in-Exile it was his duty to rally those loyal to the crown and wage a guerilla war against the foreign occupiers. Of course, this was all complete balderdash, but it was either that or he became the evil Archduke who made a deal with the devil to take over a kingdom that was never rightfully his, only to be thwarted by a group of heroes. At the moment it could go either way, and he still hadn't decided which path to take. Even the villainous Archduke would pretend to be the rightful ruler after all.

He shook himself as he realised he'd been silent for a whole thirty seconds, and that Moonlight was looking at him funnily. "Sorry," he said briefly then he adopted his noble accent again. "My cousin and I have had a... falling out. She will be dealt with in due time, but for the moment I seek loyalists to aid me in taking the fort in the name of Helios. If you have any true loyalty to the Kingdom, then you will help me liberate it. If you serve Dawn so steadfastly, then we have nothing more to talk about. Now, make your choice." He said confrontationally as he too adopted a combat posture with sword at the ready. He too noticed a flickering of darkness out of the corner of his eye, but he dismissed it as unimportant.

"I rather die than betray the Princess."-she said to Duke Helios. "We dont need to do this..I mean we can figure out something just come with me to the Fort. This place is cursed. There are evil creatures everywhere and they can attack us anytime. We need to leave..."-she said than she felt something in her back. She tried to turn over but she wasnt able.

"What is this!"-she shouted and started to panic. Than she heared a voice which accosted Duke Helios. [colour=#0000ff]"Duke Helios...son of king Sceptre.... You are a true leader....but no pony knows it..."[/colour]-said a deep and evil voice. [colour=#0000ff]"You need to show them your power! You need to destroy Fort Book and than you will be the leader for everypony. Come! Join us! And we will punish them for their blindness."[/colour] Moonlight tried to get-out from the grip but she was too weak so she just shouted. "No! Duke Helios! Dont listen to him! You aren't evil!" The grip around Moonlight get stronger so Moonlight moaned. It was harder to take breath for her now. [colour=#0000ff]"So...Duke Helios...What do you say?"[/colour]-asked the evil voice from him. [colour=#0000ff]"The power, the glory, prestige! This all waits for you....You just need to agree!" T[/colour][colour=#000000]he grip was stronger and stronger after every minute. The darknes blinded and deafened Moonlight now so she couldnt her or saw anything. She just heared her own thoughts. She saw something in her sublime. A dark and creepy shadow what approached her and tried to corrupt her soul. In her sublime she fought with the evil but she was too weak. The evil reached her soul which turned into black colour which was blue before.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Duke Helios...you wont be alone."[/colour][colour=#000000]-said the voice. [/colour][colour=#0000ff]"Now you have your first follower..."[/colour][colour=#000000] The evil released Moonlight who fell to the ground and she started to caugh.[/colour]

After watching the argument, Moondust saw she wasn't getting a reply. She set off into the darkness of the nearby shelves of books and disappeared into the darkness of the shelves. After wandering about for a while, she saw the confrontation between Duke Helios and Moonlight. She was hidden not far from where they talked. She whispered from the shadows.[colour=#800080] "The Princess shouldn't have the throne, I agree..."[/colour] She sat down in the nearby darkness, watching the two ponies from afar. They were unaware of her prescence and that she had seen and heard everything. [colour=#4b0082]Darkness may rule, but it can be manipulated with light. [/colour]She remembered hearing her sister say once. She took a breath and stepped out to confront the two ponies.[colour=#800080] "I shall pledge to you, Duke Helios. I need not have the same fate as Moonlight."[/colour] She knelt in front of him.[colour=#800080] "What would you have me do?"[/colour] She awaited her orders.

Duke Helios heard her response and prepared to fight when he heard mention of evil creatures. He had noticed odd things in the shadowy corners, could they be what she spoke of? Maybe something else was ahoof here. Suddenly as if in response felt something stirring. Something magical. Something old. He noticed Moonlight suddenly began to shift around as if something was grabbing at her and he took a step back, holding onto his little circle of light. "Who goes there?!" He shouted somewhat fearfully as he span around, looking this way and that. He could see more shapes forming, and the light atop his horn ebbing. Something was weakening his spell. Something out in the darkness suddenly began to speak. It's voice a crescendo of whispers. Each sentence starting in near silence, but rising to near shouts before fading away. An unnatural echo served to amplify this, twisting the words into forms that were almost visible in the darkening light.

[colour=#000000]"Yes, yes I am a true leader. Nopony understands, they don't believe that I have what it takes!"[/colour] He shouted in agreement. [colour=#000000]"Destroying Book Fort? Yes, yes that would put an end to Princess Dawn's reign, and be the rallying cry for the name of Helios!"[/colour] Moonlight shouted something inaudible over the whispers of the shadow, but Helios could guess what she was saying. [colour=#000000]"Power? Prestige? Yes, yes, that is exactly what I seek. A means to show those who doubted me that I am capable, that I am the true ruler! I accept your terms! Let us show these ponies that I truly am capable!"[/colour]

As he nodded and shouted, the light on his horn dulled and dulled, reducing in area and letting the shadows slowly grow closer. Moonlight vanished into the darkness off to the side. The voice finished it's speech and his magic went out. Ten seconds later his horn sparked to life again and the area around him was relit. Something felt different. He felt... empowered. Unbeknownst to him his eyes were black as coals, but when he blinked they reverted back to their usual white and blue state. He looked to the floor to see Moonlight coughing. His first follower. He offered her a hoof. [colour=#000000]"So you now renounce the name of Princess Dawn, and pledge to help bring about her blasphemous reign by means of fire and destruction,"[/colour] he said in a voice that wasn't completely his own.

Another pony suddenly appeared from behind a bookcase and he had his sword out in a flash. Suddenly she lay herself on the ground and pledged in his name. A dark smile appeared on his lips. He recognised glimpsing her at the fort, but didn't have a name. Another voice suddenly whispered in his head. "Moondust". He shook himself and looked back to her again. [colour=#000000]"Moondust. If you truly serve my cause, then I have an important assignment for you. One who pledged themselves to me now resides in the prisons of Fort Book. An eggnomancer by the name of Overeasy. I need you to free her from her cell, then we shall meet you just beyond the walls. We will need all hooves on this, and her magical talents may tip the scales in our favour."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"As you wish, my lord."[/colour] Moondust replied, before slinking back into the darkness. She sulked through the darkness, and arrived nearby the fort. She stayed in the darkness, out of range of the sight of the guards of the fort. She saw the unicorn she needed to free, but she wasn't sure how she would get him. She saw Manny towing him off, and waited until Manny was out of range of anypony else, she walked up to him nonchalantly.[colour=#800080] "The Princess had a slight change of plans. She wants to put them in the darkest part of the forest nearby, and I'd be glad to take her off your hands." [/colour]She smiled at him, walking to the temporarily disabled eggnomancer.[colour=#800080] "I'll be able to transport her faster anyways. Cmon scum."[/colour] She said, kicking the eggnomancer lightly, but making it look like she hit him hard. She waited until Overeasy made eye contact and her current abductor wasn't looking, and winked at her. She turned her attention back to Manny.[colour=#800080] "Thank you, I will... Take care of her."[/colour] She said with a smile, and dragged him off before Manny could get a word in.

Once she was deep in the dark 'forest' nearby, she let him go.[colour=#800080] "That was a noble deed you did, saving the King like that. He thinks you valuable, so consider yourself lucky he sent me to save you." [/colour]She helped him to his hooves.[colour=#800080] "You would have rot in that dungeon until the end of Equestria. Let's go, the rightful King has some assignments for us." [/colour]She said, walking along the darkness, back to where the King-now-Duke was.

Dawn looked down upon her kingdom from her throne. Options running through her head. She thought of all her forces within Fort Book. She had Lady Manzanita, Moonlight the Just, Gate Keeper Archie, Moondust, and the prisoner. While the king had no known forces of his own. 

Dawn thought this battle was going to be a piece of cake, but she was only aware of her gate keeper being nowhere to be found.

Either way, it was time to prepare for battle. She stood tall in her throne, hailing her warriors and defenders.

"All forces report to the throne!! Repeat, All forces report to the throne!! We have an upcoming battle, and we need to prepare!!"

Dawn sat impatiently, awaiting the arrival of her subjects...

Moonlight accepted the help. "I will do anything what you order to me... Duke Helios"-she said as she stood up. "Soon the whole earth will fear your name... You will be the only and the greatest leader who ever lived in this earth.."-she said and laughed obsessively. "From now please call me as...Moonlight Dreadwhisperer!" Moonlight looked around and saw Moondust who pledged herself to Duke Helios and after that he sent her to Fort book to save Overeasy. "What now my leader?"-she asked from Duke Helios after Moondust walked away.

Duke Helios turned back once more as Moonlight replied. "Very well Dreadwhisperer. The time is almost here to strike. Once our companions return we will not only have a numbers advantage, but also we are clearly the stronger party. Fort Book shall fall, mark my words. Then we shall rebuild atop its ashes. A citadel of incomparable complexity An everlasting shrine to my glory. And then the entire world will bow before me, and it will be glorious. But first we must deal with the Pretender. Princess Dawn will make a merry fool, don't you think?" Helios then joined Moonlight in her dark laughter. "Oh this will be sweet."

The sound of clopping hooves announced the arrival of Moondust and Overeasy. Two more warriors ready to give their lives in his name. He signalled them over with a wave, then turned to face the trio. "Soldiers. Today is the dawn of a new era. The era of Helios! Together we will oust the pretender, and demolish the only obstacle between us and this kingdom. We outnumber them. We outclass them. We are superior. And we will use that to destroy them. I want all three of these fools taken down, and I want their fort dismantled. They do possess a strong defensive position however, but we have help."

An Inequine shriek sounded from the darkness as a group of ponies made of shadow assembled on the edge of the group's circle. "These magnificent beast will provide that final extra edge. These steeds of shadow are our comrades, but I advise you not to get in their way, for your own sakes. Now, let us ready ourselves, we will assemble on the edge of the forest and prepare to attack when night falls. The cover of darkness will strengthen our shadowy friends." He finished his speech to an imagined chorus of cheering, before pointing a hoof towards Moondust and then trotting away from the group.

"Moondust. I have a very special assignment for you. Princess Dawn obviously still trusts you, and they will no doubt be strengthening the walls. I need you to open a way in for us when we arrive. It would be folly to charge the walls and then get trapped there. As soon as you see us reach the walls, collapse us an entrance, and you shall be richly rewarded," Helios said with as close to a respectful nod as he could manage. He then trotted back to the other two. "We give a few minutes for Moondust to get in place, then we charge. Be ready," he said to the group as he summoned up a powerful suit of armour that looked to be made from thick shadow itself.