Littlest Pet Shop S01 E01-02: "Blythe's Big Adventure"

Watched this; figured I owed it to DHX for making pony to at least stick around on the Hub after season 3 opener and try their new non-pony show.

It doesn't have the magic of Pony, and is perhaps kiddier, but it's a charming enough offering. Cute, watchable and sometimes funny. Doubt it will form a subculture or change the world, but it might at least find an audience. Kinda thing I wouldn't mind leaving on if it's on. ;)

Ashleigh Ball as the main character is fun. :)

Was only able to see the first episode, hopefully I'll see the second soon enough.

The following is my initial impression...

I'll first say this. It looks like it will be a great kids show and might produce some great music. It wasn't fantastic and the issue was more generic than "our world is threatened by [insert evil here]," however the characters seem fun enough, and look like they will provide plenty of possibility for good comedy and genuinely funny moments. And even good dynamics. Not sure if the dynamics will equal my little pony, but it is at least possible in my opinion.

Now the bad. I still hate the animation. There is just no getting around it, the overall look of the show creeps me out. And I'm pretty open to strange animation styles from years of watching both eastern and western animation, but something about this show just doesn't feel right to me. I also feel like it doesn't have enough to resonate as well with adults. Will parents be able to watch with their kids without wanting to shoot themselves? Yes, but at the same time, I can't see an adult fully enjoying it like they do with my little pony. I do think this might improve and will give it due process as my usual 5 episode watch. Last thing... and this kills me personally. The sound mixing is simply not great. Now I hope it was just a fluke, but the mixing was off at times (mind you this is mixing, not timing, the timing was perfect).

I hope these issues will improve, but unless they do, I can't see myself continuing with the series. Honestly I still probably won't because of the style of the series in look and animation. I really hope the sound team gets their act together with the mixing though. It physically hurt me at times.