BroNYcon 2013 Discussion

MarchingHammers

ok being one of the only B-more bronies in this forum, and living here for 16 years ima put out my knowlage of my hometown;

1.Baltimore Hotels:

here in baltimore, theres not many hotels, so if you want a good hotel, book one SOON because they will run out.

2. The weather:

considering it will be late summer, the temperatures will be a tad-hot and by that i mean, in the upper 90's so be prepared

3.DONT be in the city after-dark:

Please, for your safety, dont do it, we HAVE been known for violence in the past

and on the bright side to this, we might be able to get more bronies that are down south a little more, but im not too sure, after all im not a future telling guy...

Something else you need to understand, Silverswirl, is that there are bronies that came over from anime and furry fandoms. But a lot of us, A LOT, didn't. I for one don't even consider going to Otakon, because it never struck my interest, and I've never been that submerged into the fandom.

It's one of the age-old 'problems' in bronydom, as to which other fandoms are worthy of our time. You can get all different kinds of bronies from all over the map. We all have interests, and those interest don't always collide. But when they do, it's usually in the form of a cheesy, yet enjoyable crossover.

You know something, I was having a great time anticipating Bronycon 2013 up to this...

...and then this happens, :x

Personally, I agree with everything said. All this confusion and anger is a result of some HORRIBLE planning and scheduling by the Bronycon Organizers. There are so many flaws to this, it is UNIMAGINABLE.

That said, I've discovered that this trip IS do-able in my and my friend (ChillzMaster on here) in our terms. Road-trip sounds about fine for us...but realize that hotels are going to be EXPENSIVE in Baltimore. VERY expensive.

Now, speaking in familiarity, I HAVE been to Baltimore before. Went down for a 3-game set against the Yankees. The harbor area? Absolutely fine. There's a beautiful aquarium, a few shops, a museum or two, the stadiums...but when you talk about the city itself...

The city is bad in a whole different definition. I don't know how the organizers couldn't have taken it into account, because it is EXTREMELY bad. I pray for anyone who is staying in the inner-part of the city...

In general, I can very well make this Bronycon with some INSANE planning and money-saving...but ****it, Bronycon really dropped it this time. I can't believe they'd turn their backs to the NJ/NY area, the same area that made the first 3 so successful.

Just a very sad thing to see. I hope everyone can attend, and I hope I myself can I attend. You know I'll try, ;)

Something else you need to understand, Silverswirl, is that there are bronies that came over from anime and furry fandoms. But a lot of us, A LOT, didn't. I for one don't even consider going to Otakon, because it never struck my interest, and I've never been that submerged into the fandom.

It's one of the age-old 'problems' in bronydom, as to which other fandoms are worthy of our time. You can get all different kinds of bronies from all over the map. We all have interests, and those interest don't always collide. But when they do, it's usually in the form of a cheesy, yet enjoyable crossover.

One thing you need to understand is that Artist Alley will have people that will need to choose as well. Many of the artists do both. Now if they have to make a choice because they can't make both, they can and will choose the con with a 35k strong attendee list rather than BronyCon which will have less than 10k (I'm still predicting less than 7k, unless they get an amazing guest list).

On top of that Otakon is Anime and Gaming. There are fans from both fandoms because a lot of the Voice actors that do anime also do Video Games a lot of the time, and have panels and areas for gaming, so there is more crossover. Then you need to consider that there IS crossover. And the chances of crossover is pretty fair, this is especially considering that there are people on their FB that showed concern for that and said they'd either have to find a way to go to both or that they can't attend BronyCon because of Otakon. So again, even if it is only 100-1000 people that is hurting a new con. Then you have the people that already lost faith in it, expecting it to stay in the greater NY area and either unwilling or unable to attend. NY greater area has a great many people. Heck they are already planning their own con to make up for the loss of BronyCon.

BronyCon simply made a very poor choice.

I should also mention, these are just external problems that I have seen. There were internal problems with the staff that *might* carry over to this year. Which will be a detriment to the con.

You know something, I was having a great time anticipating Bronycon 2013 up to this...

...and then this happens, :x

Personally, I agree with everything said. All this confusion and anger is a result of some HORRIBLE planning and scheduling by the Bronycon Organizers. There are so many flaws to this, it is UNIMAGINABLE.

That said, I've discovered that this trip IS do-able in my and my friend (ChillzMaster on here) in our terms. Road-trip sounds about fine for us...but realize that hotels are going to be EXPENSIVE in Baltimore. VERY expensive.

Now, speaking in familiarity, I HAVE been to Baltimore before. Went down for a 3-game set against the Yankees. The harbor area? Absolutely fine. There's a beautiful aquarium, a few shops, a museum or two, the stadiums...but when you talk about the city itself...

The city is bad in a whole different definition. I don't know how the organizers couldn't have taken it into account, because it is EXTREMELY bad. I pray for anyone who is staying in the inner-part of the city...

In general, I can very well make this Bronycon with some INSANE planning and money-saving...but ****it, Bronycon really dropped it this time. I can't believe they'd turn their backs to the NJ/NY area, the same area that made the first 3 so successful.

Just a very sad thing to see. I hope everyone can attend, and I hope I myself can I attend. You know I'll try, ;)

eeyup, thats baltimore in nutshell lol, i cant wait to move out of this poop hole :D

Well Big Apple Ponycon is probably going to be awesome, but they haven't announced anything yet unfortunately. Good thing is that the con is run by the makers of BroNYcon, so it will be very good. I luckily found a bunch of people willing to split a hotel, so all is set from my end in regards to BroMDcon.

I WILL be going to Big Apple Ponycon once they announce the news for it.

Wait. So a new New York convention is being brought up, and its co-headed by Purple Tinker? Why do I get the feeling that this is another walk into needless fandom drama?

The beginning of Midwest Furfest overlaps the end of a Doctors' professional convention every year. It's freaking hilarious. :lol:

Bronycon seems to be getting ahead of itself. I think all of the convention planners, pony supporters, enthusiasts, and community need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture of what our togetherness was all founded on.

• Like 2

What about outstate Orioles fans? After their surprising playoff run this year, might that bring in a lot of traffic from outside the city?

They're playing the Mariners. Also take into account that the Orioles could very well have a down season. Believe me, as a baseball enthusiast, it's very likely in my mind... ;)

I just noticed on the Wikipedia page for BronyCon that they only expect 6000-8000 people. Not 10,000.

[colour=#000000]Andrew Benage, BronyCon's media liaison, estimates that it will attract between six to eight thousand attendees, including a larger proportion of international fans.[/colour][15][colour=#000000] On November 10, 2012, it was announced on the BronyCon [/colour]Facebook[colour=#000000] page that the BronyCon 2013 event will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center and the Hilton Baltimore Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland on August 2, 2013 to August 4, 2013[/colour]

I just noticed on the Wikipedia page for BronyCon that they only expect 6000-8000 people. Not 10,000.

[colour=#000000]Andrew Benage, BronyCon's media liaison, estimates that it will attract between six to eight thousand attendees, including a larger proportion of international fans.[/colour][15][colour=#000000] On November 10, 2012, it was announced on the BronyCon [/colour]Facebook[colour=#000000] page that the BronyCon 2013 event will be held at the Baltimore Convention Center and the Hilton Baltimore Hotel in Baltimore, Maryland on August 2, 2013 to August 4, 2013[/colour]

I believe they said 10k on their Facebook. If it is 6-8k that is far more reasonable. However I still think it will be rough sailing. I'm guessing that is the official PR numbers, especially after the Facebook fallout.

If there's a rival con in NY, 6-8k seems optimistic

There is a rival con the week after, which is Otakon... Big Apple Brony Con is planned for September I believe. They did it expressly so they wouldn't compete with BronyCon. However the oversight of Otakon will hurt them.

As Rosie said, they are really getting ahead of themselves with this one.

I'll be honest, Big Apple Con would be incredibly more convenient for me than BronyCon, and there is a chance I may end up going to it.

But I just can't take a convention seriously when they charge for tickets before announcing a date or venue.

They aren't charging for tickets now. They are asking for donations to get plans off the ground. The two things are completely different. Planning cons isn't cheap, most are funded by NPOs dedicated to this sort of thing, others are industry run. When it comes down to it, they want to renew what little they can from the moving of BronyCon. However to get the 1000 (or more) people and a place big enough to do that, they'll need more funds than they'll get from the ticket sales. Think of it like a version of KickStarter...

Which is why each option specifically states "Does not include base ticket price." You can choose to not take it seriously, but in the end, this is what they need to do to make this con happen the way they want to.

• 4 months later...