Public opinion on "reviving/necroing" old threads?

korok132

I recall, on a different forum, posting in an old thread (I believe it was about 1 or 2 months since anyone had posted in said topic). Someone pointed that out to me and said that the thread was "dead" and made feel dumb. I've since made it a habit to see how long it has been since someone posted, so as not to accidentally "necro/revive" a "dead" thread.

Everyone here seems pretty okay with an old thread coming back (relevance notwithstanding), and I know it's technically not against the rules, but before I try and break my habit, I want to know for sure that the general public is okay with people posting in older topics for whatever reason before I go ahead and make myself look dumb.

Hmm. We don't mind so much, I think. From what I've observed, the mods actually seem to prefer you find and post to an older thread as opposed to starting a new thread on the same topic.

I personally prefer if someone digs up an old thread and revives it, rather than posting a new topic on the exact same thing even though the original might not have been posted on in a few months. I do my best to combine a new thread if I remember that there was an old one, or I use the search feature if it sounds like something that was talked about elsewhere. I don't think there's ever been a big problem with people resurrecting threads on here, and I know that I prefer it.