Episodes You Have Changed Your Mind About

Ginger Mint

hi hi

I'm just curious if other people have an episode that when they first saw it, they didn't like it, and then later after thinking about it for a while, decided it was pretty good after all? (Or vice versa.)

For me, I didn't like A Bird in the Hoof very much, and it wasn't until Hearts and Hooves Day came out that I realized what the episode had actually been about. Everyone was talking about how Hearts and Hooves mentioned death in an episode, and how that was supposedly a new thing and a big deal, but thinking back on it, I remembered several episodes that touched on the subject as well.

Thats when I realized what the purpose of A Bird in the Hoof was about. No matter what Fluttershy tried, she couldn't stop the natural life cycle. And even though it went back to life again in this case, the episode was largely about coming to terms with death, and about not blaming ourselves for not having tried harder when there was nothing we could do. Yes, it also was about not taking things that weren't yours, but there was certainly a lot more going on in that episode that didn't need to be there if they were just making a point about theft. It still loses points for not getting the message across as clearly as it could have, but I no longer dislike the episode anymore.

For me ?

Oh man, how I dislike Read it and Weep.

I thought it was decent really, but then I began to re-watch and it just became very.. repelling I guess ? I haven't seen Rainbow Dash read after that so it just seems like a waste of an episode slot I guess.

Didn't really get the message. You don't need to hide what you like ? Be yourself ? I have no clue.

Can also say I use to hate Winter Wrap Up when I was pretending I hated ponies completely, the remixes of the song grew onto me rather fast and soon I liked the episode. No reason why though, maybe it's the teamwork ? The outfits ? The fact I adore Winter in general ? No clue.

I haven't seen Rainbow Dash read after that so it just seems like a waste of an episode slot I guess.

Its fine not to like it, and I share some of your concerns, but note that we have seen Rainbow reading multiple times since then. At one point she is hanging out in the library with Twilight in a short throwaway shot with a Daring Do book, and most recently when relaxing at the lake she has a book.

On the topic of radically changed preferences...there are none that I can think of at the moment. Sure there are some that I have changed opinions on but none so radical as changing from like to dislike or vice versa. Perhaps I need to think about this and get back to you. Great topic.

Edit:

Closest thing that I can come up with is "Feeling Pinkie Keen". For whatever reason, I had a cool reception to it the first viewing or two. Sure I enjoyed parts of it, and certainly didn't dislike it, but I have come to love it. It may be in part to the severe frustration I had with Pinkie myself, and the empathy I felt for Twilight. This is one of the few episodes that I would have enjoyed more in the first viewing if I had known how it was going to end.

I guess for me the greatest change in impression was with Baby Cakes. First time I watched it the reaction from me was quite negative. It was one of the few episodes I reacted negatively to on first watching. The joy and excitement of watching a new episode made me even like Mare Do Well on first watch. Baby Cakes though, I just didn't enjoy. On second watch, my impression was still a negative one, but more tempered. Since then, my dislike of the episode has lessened further, and while I can't say I love it now, I'd now give it a more mixed/average as opposed to strictly negative rating.

i disliked mare do well, but after watching a few times, i got over it.

i just really hated how they made my favorite character seem kinda selfish, i mean closer to the end i realized she is a character that actually strives on attention form her friends, and also loves being in the limelight, but at the same time, while i too understand this feeling of wanting the spotlight, i felt like it was kind of selfish that she was competeing over, literally saving other ponies lives.

idk i still have mixed feelings about this episode, i just feel like i may need a little more character development for my favorite pony.