[Hippocamp] Frozen Tide

Zeph

[ Pony Related Character ]

Name: Frozen Tide

Sex: male

Species: Hippocamp (vertical-finned)

Pelt Color: brownish-red

Mane/Tail Color & Style: dirty blonde. his mane is somewhat long and very unruly

Eye Color: scarlet

Cutie Mark: an orange fish frozen in a melting ice cube

Physique: somewhat slim. he has sharp teeth and a shark-like tail.

Residence: born in the Reigntight Sea, moves to the Great Nimbusgait Lakes (specifically the one under Cloudsdale's weather factory)

Motivation: to have his sculptures be known by ponykind

Likes: eating and caring for fish (he tends to eat the bigger and plainer fish, while using the daintier and prettier ones for his sculptures), ice, sculptures and sculpturing, discovering new things, shiny objects and similar doodads.

Dislikes: scaring off others, staying in dry air for too long, hard-headed ponies.

Character Summary: Tide is a vertical-finned hippocamp who was born in the cold and tough waters of the Reigntight sea. unlike the horizontal-finned hippocamps (dolphin tailed) who tend to be friendly herbivores, the vertical-finned (shark tailed) hippocamps are rougher and omnivorous. his specific tribe focused on hunting, both as a way to eat as well as a sport. Frozen was different though. he did not like hunting as a foal. instead, he spent his time playing with his hooves. he really liked shaping rocks and kelp into interesting figures whereas his clan hunted for sport.

once he was of age, he decided to leave the sea and explore the world. he traveled into land, swimming upstream until he found himself within the great nimbusgait lakes. one day, as he ate breakfast, a massive ice block fell from the sky (the weather factory dropping unneeded ice, but he doesn't know its existence). being the curious and creative type, he began to chisel it, slowly giving it form. he created a beautiful sculpture of himself, but felt it needed something. an idea popped in his mind and he hollowed the figure out, filling it up with water to put fish inside. he loved it so much that wanted to make more, and from that moment, his cutie mark appeared.

nowadays, Tide passes his time simply eating fish and sculpting. he leaves his masterpieces out at the shore of the lake to see if they catch attention from a passerby. he does manage to interest a few, but most seem to run away at the sight of his teeth. travelers tell their encounters with him in the form of the the legend of the Loch Gait Monster who appears only for those who give praise to the mysterious ice sculptures that appear almost out of nowhere.

Personality: overall, Tide is a very kind pony, full of energy when he's working on his art. he usually prefers to have little contact with other types of ponies, although he will never miss a critique and praise for his sculptures. being a shark tailed makes him an omnivore, though unlike his his tribe who had a diet specifically made of meat, he is able to tolerate plants himself, although he still prefers to eat fish over vegetables.

Quirks: his tribe speaks in an odd manner, and because of this he has this strange dialect. he can only say verbs in their infinitive form, so when he speaks, he always adds "to" before the unchanged verb. (ex. "sorry, but I to prefer the fish more than the salad.") this makes it hard for him to speak in past and future, so he adds "before" and "after" respectively at the end of the sentence. ("I always to think that nopony to like my art before.")

th_scan0001.png

he likes fish in general. he tends to eat the bigger and plainer fish, while using the daintier and prettier ones for his sculptures (they're usually the ones with less food mass). he feels that motion in the sculpture gives life to the art.

ok, added to his like list.

may I also add to this that a shark-based subspecies of hippocamps was mentioned in another hippocamp's application? I based this one off of that idea. I thought it would give a bit more life to the dangerously mysterious reigntight sea.

Thank you, that helps me track down the origin :'} Because *I* havnt drawn up any guidelines for the species, i just want to make sure that they are going to fit in well, and that your concept matches the original author's concept, and that I know they wont be marysue for some reason. Your application may be fine, but if I okay it I have to think about other people applying for the species as well; and how it will affect the Equestria RP overall :']

I just need a little time to talk it out with the staff, please be patient.

We've talked about the sub-species and this is what we came up with. Rather than making them a whole different type of character, we're going to still have him fall under Hippocamp. However you can classify him as Omnivore Hippocamp, where as others may be Herbivore Hippocamps. Kind of in the sense that "ponies" is a term that encompasses Unicorn, Pegasus and Earth Pony.

We'd also like you to change that the rest of his kind are omnivores that prefer eating meat. This is so that your OC can handle eating some vegetation, as if you were a carnivore, you really couldn't. Plus, carnivores in the Equestria world come off as monsters. Even in the case of griffins, they aren't just straight meat eaters. However your character can still be different by trying to eat more vegetation than average. An example was having him eat sushi rolls. This way he may be able to "blend in" and seem more friendly if he's eating something prepared rather than just munching on a trout. Keep in mind since he is pony looking he will probably be ostracized for eating meat when around other pony folk. Since he is more pony like than a griffin for example, seeing him eat meat will be more off putting.

Once you incorporate these changes you will be approved. :3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey hey! I know this application was approved, but since then we've revised the allowed species board a little bit.

Please refer to this post I made on the Hippocamp thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1686&start=15#p23037

Seeing as how your character got approved before this came about, I'm not sure if you want to change it. BUT, the only difference between hippocamps and kelpies on this board is the name and diet - everything else remains the same, for ease for the members :D

So, since you created this guy before the change, it's up to you if you want to change his species title.