Favorite Indie / Underrated Game?

What is your favorite game that not too many people seem to know about? What kind of game is it? Why do you like it so much?

My personal favorite would have to be Aquaria, hands down. It is an aquatic Metroidvania side-scroller with a heavy emphasis on exploration and narration. The game follows Naija, a mermaid-like woman, as she explores the underwater world of Aquaria. Along her journey, she learns about both the history of the world and her own past.

Aquaria's gameplay is a balanced mix of combat, non-linear exploration, and puzzle-solving. There are several songs that you will acquire as you journey throughout Aquaria. Naija's songs can move items, affect plants and animals, and change her physical appearance into other forms.

If you are looking for a Metroidvania-style game with an intriguing plot, intuitive exploration and puzzle-solving, and an amazing soundtrack, I would highly recommend you check out Aquaria.

http://www.bit-blot.com/aquaria/

So Canterlot, how about you? What is your favorite indie or underrated game? :)

• Like 1

I recently discovered the PS2 game Siren (aka Forbidden Siren).

Think of a cross between Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid, except that instead of a radar, you have the ability to see through the monster's eyes, and instead of a long, linear narrative, you have short "missions" that involve multiple characters and which jumps around in the timeline.

Despite literally just finding it, I found it to be a fun and addictive game--the kind of game where I didn't stop playing until I looked out my window and realized the sun had risen. Oddly, I find it a very empowering game as well, despite it being, well, a horror game that's meant to scare you--there's just a special sense you get when you manage to find a quirk in a monster routine that allows you to take a path that would normally be deadly, or take down an enemy who by all rights should waste you.

This is certainly a game I would recommend to everyone. If you see it for sale anywhere, you buy it IMMEDIATELY--doubly so if you're a horror buff of any sort.

Until I figure out how to put the actual video in the post, I'm just going to drop https://www.youtube....h?v=Fj28nmC9P0M here and hope it works.

Anyway, my game is Awesomenauts. It's a really casual 2D Sidescroller/Platformer Moba with a 90s cartoon theme and just a hint of Team Fortress 2.

It's awesome because, while it's a moba, if you do poorly, it doesn't matter, because your team won't notice, and if they do, they won't yell at you for it. Also, it has the greatest theme song I've heard for a game in a while.

It's really easy to learn, and the 'Nauts are rather straight-forward in what they're supposed to do for the team. The big metal robot is a tank with massive amounts of hitpoints, the cowboy is all about dps and pushing, the brain-in-a-jar is the medic (despite everything else to the contrary) among others. It's easy to learn, medium to master. Get two friends together on skype/ventrillo/teamspeak/whatever, pick your 'Nauts, and go at it. It's a boatload of fun and I can't recommend it enough.

Attention! The game is definitely NSFW!

From the zone of underrated:

Blade of Darkness

An excellence in its genre. Action-cRPG game published 13 years ago. Back then, its graphics, physics and gameplay preceded its generation. The game puts you in control of one of 4 characters. While basically the scheme of gameplay remains the same, each of them has a slightly different approach to game. With Dwarf you'll want to evade enemy attacks and perform a series of quick counters or one, heavy blow. Barbarian will try to purely smash through enemy defenses quickly. Knight will rely on his shield (which is crucial for him and shields are NOT OP) in order to perform a combo after a block. While Amazon will outrange her enemies and easily evade their attacks (sometimes falling of the ledge into her doom because of that...).

There is no such thing as difficulty level choice. Each enemy has its pattern, but most of them can defeat you if you won't be careful. It's up to you to learn their fighting style and match your actions to their attacks. Controls might be a bit repelling at first. Let's face it, it's an old game which was really a masterpiece back then. There had to be some cons, since it was awesome in all other areas. The game is 97% melee combat with slashing/crushing weaponry pattern. It's good to try to memorize the levels (where you need a key etc) since there's no map available, that's truly a pain for new player. It also has a few puzzles, which are rather simple to solve.

I really recommend it, because it wasn't advertised the way it should be, what brought the cancellation of 2nd part. Yet, those who played it usually agree that even due to a bit of issues like tough controls or sometimes missing attacks (really rarely), it's one of the best, if not best considering the time it was published, AcRPG games available. And I can confirm this as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, bump. Because there's one game I don't know WHY I didn't think about.

Again, from the zone of underrated, I present you:

Probably NSFW, though... I'm not sure. It's just oil and stuff :D

Star Wars: Republic Commando

It has its age, but still is probably one of best games out of Star Wars world.

A tactical FPS shooter with great difficulty variety, intense battles, simply epic music, nice gameplay and, most importantly, CLIMATE. Everything in this game was, and is, just perfect. I could describe it, but no words can substitute controlling that soldiers by yourself.

It's a MUST try for every fan of either Star Wars, either FPS's. Tactical part is extremely easy to master and it's quite enjoyable to see your team help you out. Or you can always be a hero and revive your team after it was downed.

I recently discovered a little indie game called Fairy Bloom Freesia. It's an action RPG that plays like Super Smash Bros. It's quite fast paced, and good for a little cathartic fun.

Another one is Recettear, which is an RPG where you play as the shop keeper for a town. Some days you have to go to the various dungeons to get things, but since your character isn't built for combat, you get to choose between a few mercs to play as during this part.

back in 1991, there was this NES game, called "Action 52", in theory it was a legit competant to chinese multi-game carts. It came for a price, 199$, but for 52 games it was quite under 4$ each... Well, it sucked big time, amateurish programming, a myriad of space shooters, disfuntional gameplay, wretched controls, horrific music, horrific programming.... But I can't help to put this cart for some shameful fun...

back in 1991, there was this NES game, called "Action 52"......

NO, JUST NO!

Underrated games? One game that comes to mind is Yu Gi Oh: Duelist of the Roses. What made it so special and unique is that is was set in England in 1485 during the Wars of the Roses.

Yeah, A Japanese card game = English Civil war? I don't get it either, but the game still rocked.

NO, JUST NO!

Underrated games? One game that comes to mind is Yu Gi Oh: Duelist of the Roses. What made it so special and unique is that is was set in England in 1485 during the Wars of the Roses.

Yeah, A Japanese card game = English Civil war? I don't get it either, but the game still rocked.

Gosh darn it! I was about to suggest this very game...

Well,on to finding another idea then!

Can't really propose Cave Story now that its on the Nintendo3Ds...But it was pretty unknown until nintendo bought 'em out.

But one game that really struck a cord to me was IkaChan ,by the same creators as Cave story.

Can't really say why i like it this much, its one of those things you can't even explain to yourself!

I would say my favorite underrated game would be Freedom Force. I can't remember a whole lot about it other than loving intensely (probably one of my top five, just from the nostalgia factor). All I really remember is that it was a 3rd person tactical super-hero game, in which you control a squad of neither DC nor Marvel superheros throughout cities, robberies, and super villains Some of your heroes include Minute Man the Captain America expy, Antman - a super hero with the proportional strength of an ant, and Diablo a.k.a. your standard walking flame thrower.

Aside from that all I really remember is that it got the superhero feel right. It played like a golden age comic book, really.

YES! Dust: An Elysian Tail. It's a very good game, and Fidget is the best Nimbat and Sidekick you could ever ask for. She almost reminds me of one from another good game I've played that I believe is worth mentioning. His name is Zipp, the demon. He's from a game called Salem, and it can be found here. http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/603851 It's a pretty good game.

I actually have two fairly underrated games that I really enjoy.

The first is Lost Kingdoms for the nintendo gamecube. It's an RPG title with real-time fighting with cards - yes, it's a card game rpg. However, the world it is based in is medieval/fantasy styled and I find myself always picking it up again every once in awhile and playing like crazy. :)

The second is a bit more recent - Tokyo Jungle for the PS3. It's one of those WJT (weird Japanese titles) where you play as an animal in post-apocalyptic Tokyo, going around and either killing other animals or searching for plants to survive while completing challenges. The gameplay is repetitive, but honestly I just find it hilarious as crud to play as a pomeranian going around Tokyo fighting everything from baby chicks to dinosaurs.

A lot of games come to mind I can't mention here. Let's see, I'm sure I got something...

Most of the indie games worth their code aren't really going under anymore, since services like steam gives them so much more exposure.

Well, as far as underrated games go, what I can recommend is Half Minute Hero. It's a love letter and a parody of oldschool JRPGs at once. It's got really funny writing, and the gameplay is pretty challenging as well. Well worth its money, if any of that appeals to you. ^^