The Doors Are Always Open (Open; Ponyville)

SteelEagle

v3gfue.jpg

Minding his own business, Filthy Rich failed to notice an eerie quietness take hold in Mayor Mare’s office. All of a sudden, the mayor came out dragging a chair occupied by a younger comatose mare. Mr. Rich would have offered to help out, but he found it weird asking to assist in what was essentially kicking somepony out of Ms. Mare’s office. The brown stallion sure felt bad though for letting his friend exhaust herself dealing with whoever that unspeaking petitioner was.

But Filthy Rich had business to take care of today with the mayor, and a business of his own to run once his meeting concluded. Ergo, he got right to the point as he closed the doors behind him and faced the white-maned mare. [colour=#8b4513]“Well Mayor,”[/colour] he started, letting the mayor get by with calling him Filthy (her being one of the few ponies who he doesn’t mind using his first name); [colour=#8b4513]“As you probably know, my store is still busy fixing up the damage caused by that firecracker incident last week, And of course, the local schoolhouse can’t seem to go a month or two without a kid setting fire to it with some fangled rocket. You may hate to hear this Mayor... but it’s become clear to me that fireworks should be banned in Ponyville.”[/colour]

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Granny Smith, Mr. Waddle and Uncle Apple Strudel continued to wait in the Mayor's office.

[colour=#696969]"I just remembered, wasn't Professor Krashkop supposed to meet us here today?" [/colour]Mr. Waddle asked.

[colour=#006400]"Dat's right!" [/colour]Apple Strudel neighed. [colour=#006400]"He vanted to help lecture dee Mayor on dee needs of older ponies."[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Perfesser Crash-what?" [/colour]Granny Smith asked as high above Ponyville, a gray maned green Pegasus stallion began to descend towards the street.

5Rqq0s.jpg

[colour=#FF0000]"I hope I am not too late!" [/colour]the airborne Professor Krashkop shouted, [colour=#FF0000]"I did promise to help mein friends vith dee Mayor und I vill keep mein vord to dem! No time to stop for pleanantries! I vill land at dee Mayor's office!"[/colour]

With all of his usual flair, the elderly Pegasus swooped down, his hooves barely touched the ground before he tripped and went into a 'barrel roll' through the open door of the Mayor's lobby until he came to an upbrupt stop. crashing into the inner wall.

[colour=#006400]"ACK! UNEEMAL!" [/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Professor! Are you alright?"[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Are ya hurt, young feller?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Not to vorry, mein friends," [/colour]Professor Krashkop said as the dizzy Pegasus got back up on all four hooves. [colour=#FF0000]"I vould not let you down! I hope I am not too late for dee meeting."[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"All of us are still waiting to see Mayor Mare, Clyde," [/colour]Mr Waddle said, [colour=#696969]"have a seat."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Dunka!" [/colour]the green Pegasus neighed as he found a seat next to Apple Strudel.

[colour=#006400]"You should really vork on dose landings, herr Professor," [/colour]the bearded stallion said.

[colour=#00FF00]"Yeah! Ya made so much racket we all might git tossed outta here!" [/colour]Granny Smith added.

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

Straight to business. That was one thing she liked about Filthy when he came to her with an actual cause burning his flank and moving him to action. It wasn't often he came to her like that, in all actuality. He liked to chat as much as the next pony, perhaps even more when compared to her usual clients, but today was different. She knew about the incident at his store- it had stalled her own shopping for a few days, the worst crime of all was her almost running out of hair dye. Young rapscallion would have needed to be locked up for life if she was forced to parade around town with pink hair. Uggh, who could take anypony with pink hair seriously? And the school had several incidents with fireworks as well. He made a compelling argument- on faulty logic, however.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, you know how I feel about what happened to your store, Filthy. It was terrible, and I hope you recover. And I hope your civil case against the family goes smoothly," [/colour]She began before taking a deep sigh,[colour=#cc00cc] "but I'm afraid that I can't support such a blanket measure. There have been very few incidents and has been hurt, and fireworks bring such joy to young and old alike. Plus, you are targeting the tool of destruction, not those responsible. Without fail, every incident has been caused by children. Perhaps we can find a middle ground? Children are unable to use fireworks unless under the supervision of an adult? Fireworks cannot be sold to children?"[/colour] She threw out there. Compromise was the watchword of success.

v3gfue.jpg

Filthy Rich stood silent for a few moments as he processed the recommendations of Mayor Mare. In all honesty, the store owner couldn’t find anything to argue against at all; it was a fact after all that all the incidents involving firecrackers featured children in the infamous... “star roles”. Maybe Mr. Rich did overreact by letting his frustration get the better of him and suggesting banning all fireworks whatsoever. Obviously, a little piece of the brown stallion’s mind cried out in joy too now that he could potentially sell firecrackers without guilt.

However, there were a couple of details that Mr. Rich wanted to hash out before leaving the Mayor; [colour=#8b4513]“Hmmmm... good point Mayor. I’ll live just fine if this ban affects only foals, but what do you think would be sufficient penalties for violating it. And would anything special need to be done to get this ban approved?”[/colour] Filthy thought himself a civic-minded pony, but he'd always defer to the expertise of Mayor Mare where government matters are concerned.....

Meanwhile, Granny Smith, Mr. Waddle, Uncle Apple Strudel and Professor Krashkop patiently waited in the Mayor's outer office area.

[colour=#696969]"Hay Professor!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle asked. [colour=#696969]"You're the nearest of us to the door, can you hear anything going on in there?"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Nein," [/colour]the green elderly Pegasus stallion said, [colour=#FF0000]"I can hear nothing, nut-ting!"[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"What did ya say, sonny?" [/colour]Granny Smith asked.

[colour=#006400]"He said he can hear nothing," [/colour]Apple Strudel said to his sister.

[colour=#00FF00]"Tell'm not to feel bad, I can't hear nutin' either!"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Javol, mein sister," [/colour]the bearded stallion said with a nod and slight giggle.

[colour=#696969]"Must be very strong walls. That could explain why no pony came running out here when you crash landed, Professor."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I did not crash land, herr Waddle!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop said defensively. [colour=#FF0000]"On dee contrary! Dat vas vone of mein better landings!"[/colour]

Down the street a few blocks from the Mayor's office came a blonde maned blank flank filly galloping.

9DmcOs.jpgHaywire

[colour=#B22222]"Hope I ain't too late!" [/colour]Haywire shouted as she ran, [colour=#B22222]"can't let the Mayor ban firework sales! It's easier fer me ta buy'm ready made than fer me ta makin' myself! If'n I kin stop Filthy Rich from talkin' to her, maybe thar's a chance I kin stop it. And I hope my brother and sister don't notice I'm gone till I git back ta them."[/colour]

The Mayor secretly sighed in the recesses of her soul, happy to see that the businesspony hadn't put up much of a fight. He hadn't gotten to where he was by laying down and accepting whatever terms were thrusted upon him like some sort of sheepish pup. Then again, you didn't become such a well-thought of member of the community- business and otherwise- without learning how to compromise, and the same went for her. She wasn't thrilled about the prospect of telling foals who by and large weren't causing much trouble that they were being punished for the mistakes of others, but it had come to this point and the only way through it was by making sure it didn't grow to become a much bigger issue.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Oh, I think fines for the parents plus full restitution for any damage caused is a fine start. Then you can make then take safety classes regarding foals...seems like a powerful incentive, spending a weekend off of work in some stuffy room with an instructor telling you that you're an unsafe parent. Do it once or twice and suddenly every parent enforces the law him or herself. As for getting approved, I'll simply write the bill and send it to one of the Royals for approval. Simple enough process, shouldn't take but a few days. If it gets rejected for revision and I have to hold a town meeting, you're free to come and make your case for it,"[/colour] She finished with a smile, mostly sure that such an event would happen. She could call a town meeting on it initially, but hopefully he'd cool off with time and the whole thing would blow over. If not, at least the law wouldn't be anything too harsh.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Anything else I can do for you? Sounds like I have quite the contingent waiting for me out there." [/colour]

v3gfue.jpg

If Mayor Mare’s answer was any indication, it looked like the situation was well in hoof. [colour=#8b4513]“That’ll be it for today Mayor,”[/colour] announced a satisfied Filthy Rich; [colour=#8b4513]“Thank you for your time. Oh, I hope that you were able to solve that funding crisis too you woke me for in the middle of the night. Anyway, I probably should get going. Buh-bye, now!”[/colour]

And with that, the stallion smiled and gave a friendly wave as a farewell. Trotting towards the door outside, Mr. Rich couldn’t help but mutter under his breath; [colour=#8B4513]“At least that troublemaking Haywire will never set off a rocket in this town ever again.”[/colour] Nothing could stop that certainty now; absolutely nothing. Who could possible object to a safety measure like Filty's proposal anyway?

The Mayor smiled and waved Filthy off, pleasantly surprised to have seen that the meeting went as well as it had. Of course, being friends and having a certain degree of trust didn't hurt matters any, and Filthy had been a wonderful stallion who had recently aided her efforts to fund the shelter were not forgotten. The fact she had every belief that his proposal would never become law and she wouldn't necessarily fight that hard to make it so didn't change her appreciation of what he DID do for her, and what she would do for him in most situations was more than she would do for some in some situations. She shuffled a few papers and stretched, knowing that in the next room was a trio of troublemaking elders who had more energy than a viper trying to take a bite out of a fictional hero.

She trotted to the door and opened it wide, smiling at the three.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, what a joy to have you three. Come in and take a seat. Any coffee or refreshments?"[/colour] She offered, trotting to her seat and decisively sitting down before any of the oddly energized elder ponies could snatch it up. She wouldn't put it past them- they were crafty in a way only the elderly were. Silently and bamboozling She rubbed her hooves together as they came in.

[colour=#cc00cc]"So, what drives a few of Ponyville's leading citizens to grace me with their presence?"[/colour]

Hearing the Mayor usher them in, Granny Smith, Mr. Waddle, Uncle Apple Strudel and a still dizzy Professor Krashkop entered into the office and stood in front of the Mayor's desk.

[colour=#00ff00]"Lookie here, Mayor!" [/colour]Granny Smith neighed. [colour=#00ff00]"The four of us are here fer a very good reason! Er, hay Strudel, why are we here agin'?"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Vhat mein sister is trying to say is, vee vould like to see more activities for us, vell, more experienced ponies in dis town," [/colour]the bearded stallion spoke.

[colour=#696969]"Mr Strudel," [/colour]Mr. Waddle added, [colour=#696969]"I don't think we have to be too timid to use the word ELDERLY to describe ourselves."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Herr Vaddle is correct!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed. [colour=#ff0000]"Vee are old ponies und vee..."[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]"WHO YA CALLIN' OLD, FEATHER HEAD!" [/colour]Granny Smith shouted, waving her front hoof in front of the older green Pegasus stallion.

[colour=#006400]"Calm yourself, mein sister!" [/colour]Apple Strudel neighed as he and Mr Waddle rushed to get between the two elderly ponies.

[colour=#696969]"Please Professor, Granny Smith, we mustn't quarrel among ourselves!"[/colour] the balding glasses wearing stallion spoke.

[colour=#00ff00]"Quarrel?" [/colour]the lime green mare asked in bewilderment. [colour=#00ff00]"What was we talkin' about here?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"I tink vee are confusing dee Mayor, ja?" [/colour]Professor Krashkop asked.

Meanwhile, a galloping Haywire spotted Filthy Rich leaving the Mayor's office. The determined rust coloured filly immediately rushed over to him.

[colour=#b22222]"Excuse me Mr Rich!" [/colour]she shouted. [colour=#b22222]"Is it true that yur tryin' to git fireworks outlawed here in Ponyville? Us foals love fireworks cause they're fun! Fun ta make and fun ta set off!"[/colour]

Could the four in front of her maintain calm for a full minute? She doubted it. Individually they were all serene and passive. Put them together and they were almost as combustible as the fireworks Filthy Rich sought to ban so fervently. It made it difficult to follow what they were talking about and when she did piece it together, made it even more difficult to understand why they needed her help at all. They needed more activities for the senior citizens? Heck, all that needed to be done as far as the Mayor was concerned was get them together. They had enough energy to run foals down to their last breath before a sweet night's rest. All the Mayor could do was tap her hoof impatiently with a wry smile as the four nearly broke down into a fight. After they had finished, the Mayor chuckled and took her glasses off to wipe her brow.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, it seems as though you do need a way to burn out that excess energy. Clearly, breaking down into a fight in the Mayor's office is clear evidence of that!"[/colour] She rubbed her nose before placing her glasses back on, [colour=#cc00cc]"of course, that does bring up an issue. Events like the Sisterhooves Social and other family-themed events are great for the town and we support them in small ways, but fact of the matter is that they are thought of and ran by normal townsfolk. If we ran something from Town Hall, removed from the wishes and desires of the townsponies, then it wouldn't be nearly as enticing. I think it's important for ponies such as yourselves who are imbued with so much energy to come up with events yourselves. Once you do that the town can always support it small but meaningful ways, and it's something long-lasting," [/colour]She said, speaking evenly as she searched for some papers. She found what she was looking for and brought it out, a quill and ink soon following.

[colour=#cc00cc]"So, seeing as I'll be joining this geezer patrol in a few years, I'd be interested in your ideas."[/colour]

v3gfue.jpg

Making his way outside, Filthy Rich had the misfortune of running into the source of his most recent troubles: the filly Haywire.[colour=#8b4513] “Indeed,”[/colour] the stallion grumbled, not wishing to put up with possible whining from the child in question; [colour=#8b4513]“And set my store on fire while you’re at it too. I don’t want fireworks completely banned, but I don’t want troublemaking kids like you setting them off in this town any longer. Now if you’ll excuse me missy, I have a store to run. Good day.....”[/colour] Rather uncharacteristically, Mr. Rich cantered away as fast as he politely could before Haywire could provide a rebuttal.

*Exit Filthy Rich*

[colour=#B22222]"But wait a minute, Mr Rich!" [/colour]Haywire shouted as the merchant stallion left. [colour=#B22222]"MAH FIRECRACKER ROCKETS AIN'T DANGEROUS! Well, most of the time anyway..."[/colour]

Now frustrated and angry, the rust colour filly now set her attention on getting an audience with the Mayor. Surely she, as a fellow female, could be swayed with reason, or at least, with Haywire's patented 'sad puppy dog eyes look.' Galloping around to the side of City Hall, the determined blonde blank flank quickly stacked up wooden crates under the Mayor's window and then climbed up to see what was going on inside. What Haywire saw was Professor Krashkop, Uncle Apple Strudel, Granny Smith and Mr. Waddle trying to express their views to Mayor Mare.

[colour=#FF0000]"Ah! Vonderba fraulien Mayor!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed. [colour=#FF0000]"Und vee are thrilled dat you vish to here our ideas!"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"The Professor's right," [/colour]added Mr. Waddle. [colour=#696969]"I do like attending functions at the Ponyville Retirement Home and such, but we feel there can be more activities for us, well, more seasoned ponies to participate in."[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Waddle's got the right idear!" [/colour]Granny Smith neighed. [colour=#00FF00]"How about holdin' bingo games?"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Day have does, mein sister," [/colour]Apple Strudel said.

[colour=#00FF00]"Shuffleboard?"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Have that at the Senior Center."[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]"Quiltin' Circle?"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"I tink day have dat also, fraulein."[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]"Well, looks like we got everythin' we asked for! Thanks a whole heap, Mayor!" [/colour]Granny Smith said as she began to turn to walk away.

[colour=#006400]"Vait mein sister! Vee are not finished yet!" [/colour]Apple Strudel shouted as he rushed over to her.

[colour=#696969]"Oh my," [/colour]Mr Waddle said shaking his head before approaching the Mayor. [colour=#696969]"Miss Mayor, all we want are more town sponsored activities that we of the, more experienced set can participate in. Things like hiking and trail rides. Perhaps some organized Senior Swim Days at the pool and..."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Und vhat about Senior Flight Days for us Pegasi?" [/colour]Professor Krashkop asked.

[colour=#00ff00]"You SURE that's a good idear, Perfessur? That last landin' ya had in the Mayor's office wasn't exactly perfect."[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Dat vasn't nice, Granny! Could YOU do better, I tink not vingless vone!"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Now dat's no vay to talk to mein sister!" [/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Stop quarreling everypony before we all get thrown out!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle pleaded. This made Haywire burst out laughing as she watched from the window.

The Mayor had to wait a little while to get something workable for her fellows, considering they spent a lot of time rattling off ideas that the senior center did often and did well. She didn't really think it unusual however as, after all, they were all elderly and prone to bouts of playful forgetfulness. She wrote down each idea as Granny Smith blurted it out and they were shot down, the Mayor crossing them off. She smiled the whole while, their loud yet friendly interplay providing enough amusement for her day. It was unusual for her to be able to just sit back and allow others to shoulder the burden of discussion, but today was proving a unique one in that regard. Eventually it turned back to what she could do, and she couldn't do as much as they probably though. She wrote a few more ideas down then released the quill, sighing as it was the elders of Ponyville giving her a headache.

[colour=#cc33cc]"We can't organize those activities ourselves. Liability would be on the town, and we can't open ourselves up to that. Trail rides, hikes, senior day at the pool, flight days- these are all wonderful ideas, but in order to enact them you need to organize them yourselves or seek out private aid. Once you have some sort of structure, I can hire out aides, workout gurus, physicians, guides- whatever you need. The town can't create that organization, however. My advice is simply to get a few more together, name some sort of senior activity group, and allow me to fill out the paperwork. If you start today then by the end of the week I think we can actually have something. In fact, what I'll do is start the paperwork on the Ponyville Senior Group- any problems with that name?- and when you come to me with a few more members and some sort schedule, I can fast track this and by the end of the week you'll be having fun. How does that sound?" [/colour]She offered with a smile as Haywire laughed outside. That was unexpected, if not un-invited. She coughed-

[colour=#cc33cc]"Speaking of fast track, I have a very important client that I must meet with. Fillies and gentlecolt's, it's been an honor."[/colour]

Hearing the Mayor's proposal made every pony in the room smile.

[colour=#FF0000]"Dat vould be vonderba!" [/colour]Professor Krashkop neighed happily.

[colour=#696969]"Thank you, Mayor," [/colour]Mr. Waddle added, [colour=#696969]"that's a very good name and I'm sure we can have written proposals for you to examine within the week."[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Did you hear dat, mein sister?" [/colour]Apple Strudel asked, [colour=#006400]"Vee have done it!"[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Done what?"[/colour]

[colour=#006400]"Got dee Mayor to hear our suggestions!"[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"What suggestions?"[/colour]

This exchange made Haywire giggle so hard, she began to loose her balance on top of the crates. Seconds later, the blonde blank flank filly tumbled to the ground along with all of the crates she had stood on with a loud crash.

[colour=#006400]"VHAT VAS DAT?" [/colour]Apple Strudel shouted.

[colour=#696969]"Better have a look outside," [/colour]added Mr. Waddle as Professor Krashkop took flight up to the window to look through.

[colour=#FF0000]"ACK! UNEEMAL!" [/colour]the green Pegasus stallion yelled, [colour=#FF0000]"a little filly has fallen! Vee must help her!"[/colour]

[colour=#00FF00]"Youngin' in trouble? Time's a-wastin!" [/colour]Granny Smith neighed as she moved with uncharacteristic speed to get outside. The others followed and found a pile broken and loose wood with a moaning Haywire lying on top of it. Quickly. Professor Krashkop flew over and gently lifted her up and then down to the grass below.

[colour=#00FF00]"HAYWIRE! What in Equestria er ya doin' here?" [/colour]Granny Smith asked.

[colour=#696969]"Are you hurt, young filly?" [/colour]asked Mr. Waddle.

[colour=#B22222]"Only mah pride," [/colour]Haywire confessed. [colour=#B22222]"Reckon I shouldda been tryin' to watch y'all through that winder, surry bout that.."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Vee are happy dat you are uninjured, fraulien." [/colour]Professor Krashkop said.

[colour=#006400]"Ja! Did you vhat to see dee Mayor?" [/colour]Apple Strudel asked.

[colour=#B22222]"Yup! But after all this ruckus I caused, she probably won't wanna talk ta me now..." [/colour]the blonde filly said, lowering her head in sadness.

The elders in front of her rushed outside to aid the filly who fell, which would have been touching had the filly not been spying on the meeting. The Mayor would have ran outside herself but five mares and stallions working to aid one filly was simply odd looking, especially when the Mayor was already behind. It also allowed her to take a few sips of coffee to aid her sluggish brain- the previous night's events as well as the early morning. The things she had done had been for the great benefit of the town as a whole but she couldn't help but feel partially brain dead, and as poor mannered as it was she'd allow herself a few seconds of peace and serenity before once again she had to deal with an overactive filly who was liable to blow up half of her town hall with even greater horror than Derpy. Well, maybe not. She was just a filly, had an excuse. Derpy didn't. And she could fly. Much scarier.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Haywire dear, I can hear everything you're saying," [/colour]The Mayor sighed pleasantly, looking at her empty cup of coffee ruefully.

[colour=#cc00cc]"You can come in now."[/colour]

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

[colour=#000000]Flax Seed and Applejack were walking together towards the town center. Applejack was in charitable spirits and sported behind her an apple cart full of several baskets of apples and apple accessories. Applejack had also needed to talk to the Mayor about revisions to the boundaries between the apple orchard and the Everfree Forest. But that would be an addition to what she needed to address with the Mayor with. Upon her walk towards the center of town, she came across an interesting stallion who had his own wagon, but was holding mostly nothing besides a few jars of some purple substance. At first, Applejack couldn't figure out who it was, but then it hit her. She never forgot a face. It was Flax Seed, of Flax and Wheat. Their ad was the one Applejack had seen in a magazine to help promote Rarity's rest and relaxation a while back. As it turned out, Rarity was sent to a place that didn't hold to her standards. But the brilliant unicorn mare, and best friend of Applejack, found a way to shimmer her glowing beauty through the rugged situation. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Yeah, so, the Mayor should be able to help you, no problem!"[/colour]

banner_flax_zps64608f9d.png

[colour=#000000]"You think so? Do you think she would, like, be ok with it?" Flax questioned the orange mare, despite her up attitude. Flax wasn't always fully trusting of strangers, but in this case he wasn't wanting to step on any hooves. He had a very particular agenda, and very few opportunities in discussions and decision-making were with him when expressing his ideas with someone else. What Flax wanted was an chance to sell his product in Ponyville. And he wasn't really interested in making so much paperwork out of it, but having Applejack understand his needs and directing him to the Mayor's office, he learned that there might be a bit of red tape to tangle through.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack wasn't sure why Flax was so naturally uptight. He seemed like a pony with a reason to be happy for the most part, especially since his and Wheat's acclaim to fame. But for some reason, it was like the hippy stallion always needed something to expect to go wrong. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Of course! She'll work the details with you. She is a very fair mare."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack was not the least bit concerned with her business meeting today. Probably mostly because she felt the Mayor would take her side. Applejack, being the proprietor of the main source of food in Ponyville, she actually contained a lot of the political power in most negotiations. But, fortunately for Applejack's overwhelming, and sometimes annoying amount of integrity, Applejack would never let it kill opportunity elsewhere within the town's limits. Applejack could deal with her own private matters, but when it came to big business, Applejack always consulted with leadership in good faith that she was trying to be non-partisan.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]The two ponies parked their carts outside the building, unfastened themselves, and made their way for the door. "Ok, I just hope the mayor understands the way me and Wheat like things. It's very important to do things the right way." Flax, with the politeness of Applejack, walked into the building first. Flax looked up towards nothing. "And the way, is like, where you should go. You don't always find the way. Often times, the way finds you."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack raised an eyebrow and bounced her eyes around in realization of this pony's sanity, or lack thereof. And then she coughed. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Well, looks like someone is already in seeing the mayor, we'll just have to wait until she can see us."[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Little Haywire was pleasantly surprised that after all the commotion she caused outside that the Mayor would still want to see her.

[colour=#B22222]"Thanks a whole heap, everypony, but I gotta go talk ta the Mayor now," [/colour]the blank flank filly neighed, waving goodbye to Granny Smith, Mr. Waddle, Uncle Apple Strudel and Professor Krashkop before scampering back inside and galloping into the Mayor's office. It was the first time the blonde filly had actually been inside the office itself. Things looked much bigger and more impressive from the inside rather than gazing through the window. Now Haywire had to focus on the task at hoof, sharing her thoughts with the Mayor.

[colour=#FF0000]"Thanks fer see'n me today, Mayor," [/colour]Haywire said as she found a seat and sat down. [colour=#FF0000]"I gotta ask ya, are ya plannin' ta ban fireworks in Ponyville, er ta outlaw sell'n them ta foals? Cause if'n ya are, I don't think that's fair at'all! After all, I work a lotta extra chores so I kin earn enough bits to buy'm. Put enough of'm together and they make dandy firecracker rockets! Ever seen one of mah rockets in action? Well, I do admit thar's been a few teeny tiny mishaps with'm, but most of the time they don't explode before leavin' the ground er fly off where I ain't aim'm them at. And that thar fire over at Apple Bumpkin's place a while back was jist an accident. All them trees grew back real purty! What did Mr. Rich tell ya? Did he say anythin' bout me? Whatever he said, I deny it!"[/colour]

(Exit Granny Smith, Mr. Waddle, Uncle Apple Strudel and Prof. Krashkop)

Haywire spoke with all the energy and passion of a filly who didn't quite understand the reality of adulthood but did understand what it meant to love the things you did. The Mayor understood that sort of commitment and anypony who had a heart could sympathize. Anypony with a brain also understood that a foalish concern revolving around fun wasn't anywhere close to the sort of reason for policy to be changed. That wasn't Haywire's fault of course, just a simple matter of maturity yet to roost in her blossoming mind. One day she would understand, but the Mayor arrogantly believed that even then she wouldn't understand politicking like the Mayor did. It was true that she was going to write that law up and send it off to the Royals for approval, but she knew what would happen. It would get shot down, she'd put it up for a vote, and the town would reject it totally. But she couldn't tell Haywire that or she'd blabber that all over town, and nopony liked a scheming Mayor Mare as much as they liked the lovable, genial, and easily manipulated one.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well Haywire, you make several important points, but the fact is that fireworks- while very fun- are also very dangerous. Nopony has been hurt yet, but businesses have suffered and if we don't do something, eventually somepony will get hurt. The idea of the law is that little ponies cannot buy or possess them and will need adult supervision to use them, but yes, this does amount to a ban on sales to fillies and colts. Now, if you oppose this, feel free to talk to other adults about your views and if the Royals don't like the law and it comes up for a vote, maybe you can make a big difference, okay?"[/colour] She offered with a smile, reaching under the desk and pulling out a form she had made sure to prepare after Filthy had left. She then hoofed it over to Haywire.

[colour=#cc00cc]"And if you'd like to use any public space for your talk, like maybe a speech or a meeting, just fill that out. Sound good, sweetie?"[/colour]

Wheat%2520Grass%25202.jpg

Wheat Grass

It wasn't that Wheat Seed didn't trust Flax to get the job done; he was a hard, dedicated worker and did his fair share for the farm and wellness centre. However, he wasn't the most articulate of ponies. What if the mayor of Ponyville became fed up with the way Flax kept saying "like" all the time and rejected him? Wheat had meditated on the subject for a while, deciding between the trust she put into her best friend and the worry she had over him messing things up. Worry won out. That was why she set out after Flax a few hours after he had left, and she had just arrived in Ponyville.

Wheat made her way through the suburban settlement, passing the cheerful locals. It struck her that she hadn't seen such a place for many years, and it felt peculiar to be back in a town. She supposed it was prettier and more creative than living in a big city, and building right next to the Everfree Forest? That was just wild.

It wasn't hard to miss where Flax was. She spotted his cart right outside a big circular building, their product just sitting in the back. Next to it was a cart full of ripe apples, locally grown, most likely. That was the way to do it!

Wheat peeked through the door and spotted Flax talking to a tan earth pony mare, apparently waiting for their turn. Good; there was still time! Putting on a smile, Wheat entered, her tail dragging on the floor like it always did. "Why hello there!" she said. "I don't mean to interrupt, but I just wanted to know how the deal was going over, Flax."

Haywire listened intensely to what the Mayor said, but all she could think about was that foals like her could no longer purchase or even possess fireworks. Not stopping to think that the 'ban' only applied to Ponyville and that her family farm was actually in the Nimbusgait Lakes region, the rust coloured fliiy began to panic.

[colour=#FF0000]"But MAYOR...." [/colour]Haywire whined, [colour=#FF0000]"what have ya got agin' us younger ponies? We like havin' fun too! And I kin be safe wit fireworks! I learned a lot from all them times I messed up in the past, really I did! I learned NOT ta use firework rockets on apple trees or near Filthy Rich's store or inside of caves. Good thing I could outrun that thar angry bear I woke up. Mayor, don't take away our fireworks! Tain't fair! Ask my brother an sister if'n I'm safe with... er... on second thought, jist ask my brother. He'll tell ya I'm great with'm!"[/colour]

Meanwhile, her brother and sister WERE searching the town for their little sister.

x4dqls.jpgHayseed

4c6Aws.jpgHaymaker

[colour=#0000FF]"Sis, settle down, we'll find'r!" [/colour]Hayseed neighed. [colour=#0000FF]"Ponies saw'r comin' this way."[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"How could YOU lose her, ya big goof?" [/colour]Haymaker roared. [colour=#800080]"I otta slug ya fer that!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Now jist calm down, sis before somepony gits hurt, namely ME!"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"If anythin' happened ta her, I'm gonna hit ya so hard yur gonna end up in the middle of NEXT WEEK!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Gee sis, didn't know y'all could do time travel! Does Twilight Sparkle know bout this?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Shut yur yap an' keep lookin' before I furgit I'm a lady and belt ya one!"[/colour]

The Mayor didn't want to be actively fought by the little filly anymore, especially when it was such a nonstarter with what she could and could not be told. She wanted the filly to be assured, just as the Mayor was, that nothing was going to change in the long term and that the game was played at a level beyond a filly's comprehension because it involved copious amounts of lying and bureaucratic wrangling and generally was unpleasant enough anyway without Haywire wanting to get involved a bit more. The Mayor sighed and put a hoof up to silent the little one's further protests, and adopted a less sweet tone out of necessity. She needed to get to further business.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Haywire my dear, the matter is settled. You can take my advice and if you do I can do what I can to help you get your voice heard in front of any possible town hall meeting, or you can try anything else you want and none of it will work. I don't mean to be rude, and you're very brave for coming to me with your opinion, but I do have a very busy schedule. I thank you for visiting me, and here's the paperwork you'd need if you take my advice," [/colour]She finished, hoofing it over. She then trotted to the door.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Have a good day, dear," [/colour]And with that she opened the door to see Applejack and two ponies she didn't know that nonetheless had trouble written across their otherwise unassuming faces. Strangers to town, new ponies seeking a fresh start, her confidence lifted by Applejack's unspoken commitment which her presence conveyed. Applejack herself was a matter of some concern, her pledge to assist the town in it's latest donation drive just that morning dually worrying. Could she support the town? Probably. But what risk was there to the Apple family? The Mayor needed that report terribly.

All smiles.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Ahh, Applejack, a pleasure to see you. You and your companions may come in now," [/colour]She offered cheerfully, trotting back to her seat.

[colour=#cc00cc]"What can I help you three with?"[/colour]

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

[colour=#000000]Applejack set down the issue of Apples Weekly she was reading while waiting for the Mayor. After waving to her Granny, she walked into the Mayor's office with a smile on her face. But as soon as she was done entering, she dropped her smile and noticed that Flax and his friend were invited in at the same time.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Um, well. First of all, I do have the first two weeks of food supply in the cart outside. All of the apples are ripe and fresh, and will keep for about ten days if kept out of the sun. And more inside that cart are baskets of jars of preserves. These will keep for almost forever, just don't open them until you plan to use them."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack looked concerned, but she was just relaying information. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "As far as the other week? Well. I'm going to have to work with my family and see what kind of rations we can come up with. But the good news is, is that we will be fine and the goal should be met." [/colour][colour=#000000] Just as she stopped talking, her stomach growled inwardly, contracting from the lack of breakfast that existed on the family's kitchen table that morning.[/colour]

banner_flax_zps64608f9d.png

[colour=#000000]Flax and Wheat both entered with Applejack, if for no other reason than because the Mayor asked them to. Flax entered the office before turning to Wheat Grass. "Oh hey, Wheat. No problem. This is Applejack, and she saw that we needed help with selling stuff and she said that talking to the Mayor would be a good idea. Don't worry though, I don't think that this town is anything like Canterlot. I think the Mayor will respect our wishes."

Originally, the whole reason why Flax decided to move himself outside of the townships is because he felt he could not cultivate the proper way of life under the influence of so much civilization. But since they had to sell their product in town, they might as well visit often enough to earn rent.[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"I have other new business with you, Mayor, but I'll let these two ponies deal with their thing first, since I brought them here anyway. Mayor, let me introduce you to Flax Seed, oh and this must be his partner... Wheat? Right? They need help setting up their stuff at the market. I figured you would be able to quickly take them through the formalities."[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

[colour=#B22222]"BUT MMMMAAAAAYYYYYOOOOORRRRRRR!" [/colour]Haywire whined, quickly attempting to do her famous irrestiable 'pouty face' look for her only to be rejected. Sighing with defeat, the rust coloured blank flank filly lowered her head and passed Applejack and Flax Seed on her way out the front door.

[colour=#0000FF]"THAR SHE IS! HAY SIS! I FOUND HAYWIRE!" [/colour]Hayseed shouted as he galloped over to her, [colour=#0000FF]"Little sis, were ya hidin' out in thar?"[/colour]

[colour=#B22222]"I wasn't tryin' ta hide out! I wanted ta try ta talk the Mayor outta bannin' firework sales to us foals! Tain't fair!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Well, ya kinda slippin' out on me and Haymaker and she's fit ta be tied now! Best ya don't mention fireworks to her, ya KNOW how she feels bout ya usin'm."[/colour]

[colour=#B22222]"Reckon ya gotta point," [/colour]Haywire sighed as Haymaker galloped up to her siblings.

[colour=#800080]"What do ya have ta say fer yurself, young filly?" [/colour]the lanky red maned mare snorted.

[colour=#0000FF]"Leave'r be, sis! She was jist takin' a walk ta stretch'r legs," [/colour]Hayseed said defensively.

[colour=#800080]"Quick takin' up fer her, ya knothead!" [/colour]Haymaker yelled.

[colour=#0000FF]"Sis y'know yur beautiful when yur angry?" [/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Really? Do ya mean it?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Nah! Yur ugly ALL THE TIME!" [/colour]Hayseed horselaughed seconds before Haymaker connected with a hard right front hoof to his face that nearly spun his head all the way around his neck. It took a moment for the stallion's head to return to it's proper position. [colour=#0000FF]"I think I wanna rephrase that last remark!"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Oh, nevermind. C'mon, let's git back home. We got farm chores ta do and they ain't gonna do themselves!" [/colour]she neighed as the three turned and started walking the long path towards the train station. Hayseed gave a quick wink to Haywire, who smiled back at him.

(exit the Hay Family)

Wheat smiled and nodded at Flax as they entered, then was startled a little by the loud filly leaving just as they were stepping in, and wondered what had upset the foal so. Oh well; it was better to get those emotions out at an early age. Keeping all that in could be catastrophic.

She listened to Applejack, and nodded at her when she got Wheat's name right. Good old Flax, letting Applejack know about her.

"Thank you, Applejack," she told the tan Earth Pony mare. Turning to the Mayor she put on a smile. "Flax and I traveled a long way to sell our all-natural beauty product 'Goops and Stuff' in Ponyville. We guarantee it will leave everypony feeling fresh and clean after using our Goops."

Wheat opened her mouth and drew out of her red pancho a bottle of Goops for Stuff: Apple-Carrot Deep Mane Conditioner, which she had taken from Flax's cart before coming in, and placed it on the Mayor's desk. "Would you care for a sample?"

The Mayor nodded along as Applejack delivered the news, more than pleased on the front end as their deal made in crisis would bore the fruit of the Apple Family's labor. One of the unsung labors of her position was shouldering the risks that her townsfolk took on her behalf, but it was one she happily took upon herself and in any case it was very unlike the hardships Applejack and her family were about to endure. As the mare finished the report, the mayor took it upon herself to make Applejack well aware of the positive impact she was having. The Mayor gave Applejack a firm hug.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Thank you so much, Applejack. You're doing a great thing," [/colour]She let the mare go, [colour=#cc00cc]"and as for your family, just give me a report about how long your food will last. I have the plea for immediate assistance already made, just need the details,"[/colour] She ended chirpily. Not much to be chipper about, rather gloomy business all around, but she had to appear positive enough for the pair of...hippies, hippy ponies who were now in her office. Now she wasn't a mare who judged others very often and she didn't necessarily mind getting her hooves dirty, but the way the stallion's eyes seemed to focus in and out and all around was off-putting to say the least.

Then the mare offered some Goops, which the Mayor was vaguely aware of due to Rarity as well as her own unspoken admiration for the effects of the best of the best in the world of hair product. She had to keep her mane sparkling and anything but pink, after all. She smiled and took the bottle, inspecting it as it sat down.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, thank you for the sample! I've heard about Goops and Stuff vaguely, word about superb product never reaches far without me snagging it up. You two want to sell it in Ponyville? That is fine by me, Wheat and Flax. Storefront or a space in the marketplace?" [/colour]She asked, taking out two forms.

Archived