The Doors Are Always Open (Open; Ponyville)

SteelEagle

banner_flax_zps64608f9d.png

[colour=#000000]"We need a place that surrounds our customer-buyers with a sense of peace and tranquility. A storefront would be great. Do you have any buildings that were made with all-natural pony power? We can only sell this product in an environment that is free from any unnatural selection, we need it to be pure." Flax leaned in towards the Mayor. "A pure environment creates, like, a swimming pool for your mind, and the pool is made of the finest, uh, smells and stuff, and," Flax was running out of words, but he believed what he believed, that was for sure. "And, yeah. Your aura is the most important part of who you are. And if you don't have a good aura, then who are you?" Flax stared up at the ceiling. "And who is your aura?" His eyes widened as he 'meditated.'[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wheat blanched. Flax was losing the mayor. She had to step in.

"What Flax means, Miss Mayor," she interjected with a nervous smile, "is that...Goops needs an all-natural, organic environment, and an all-natural, organic environment makes everyone feel good! Goops must remain in that sort of condition to be effective. That's the difference between our product and the others! Other products might make your mane shine and your hooves sparkle, but Goops will make your aura glow, your kundalini unwind, your cakras spin! All of that is not just good for the body but for the soul..."

Taking a deep, slow breath, Wheat closed her eyes and visualised the rejuvenating effects of Goops. In truth, she didn't really know anything about their more materialistic competition, only what she remembered from her privileged city life long ago, how it had all seemed so shallow to her even as a filly. Did those cold, crafted cosmetics really make ponies feel better? She wanted to explain more benefits of Goops, but was afraid that the Mayor wouldn't understand the spiritual sides to Goops beyond being closer to nature. Maybe she and Flax would have to publish a book outlining what Goops was about.

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

...Okay then.

Well, they certainly believed in their product, that much was for certain. And who could blame them? It was a darn fine product, and one they worked hard at creating. Good for them, the Mayor thought to herself. However, they had to reign in their, how to put it, unusual marketing and patterns of speech. Especially the stallion, he seemed not all together here. Wheat Grass seemed to be the smarter or at least more 'there' pony out of the pair, so while Flax Seed conducted his introspective journey regarding auras and whatever else new-age nonsense he was devoted to, the Mayor smiled and turned her attention to Wheat Grass.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well then, it's important that we put you two in the right location, isn't it? We do have several storefronts that the town owns, actually. Well, abandoned storefronts, but you get the picture. I can give you their addresses and you can peruse them, but they do share some information. Each one is a two-story location, as many business owners in town prefer to live atop their businesses, or sometimes rent those rooms out. Each business storefront also has a rent fee of two-thousand bits, plus all utilites and applicable business fees. Beyond that, any questions?" [/colour]The Mayor took out the Goops and inspected. Conditioner, eh?

[colour=#cc00cc]"And I hope this is safe with hair dye!"[/colour]

"Hang on, I'll be right back!"[colour=#000000] Flax walked out of the office and out of the building to the cart he had parked and grabbed an item from it. He quickly made his way back inside, and when returning to the Mayor's office, revealed what looked to be a jar with some kind of dirt mixture in it. [/colour] "Mayor, let me show you this. Do you know what this is?"[colour=#000000] Flax leaned forward while letting the Mayor get a good glimpse of it. He whispered in her ear as soon as he leaned close enough. [/colour]"It's, like, a jar of dirt."[colour=#000000] He pulled back. [/colour]"But not just any dirt. This dirt is soil that has been naturally tilled from our property. And, like, I'm sorry Mayor, but quality dirt like this just doesn't exist in town. All of the paths and side gardens have hardened dirt or top soil that was unnaturally place where it doesn't belong."

[colour=#000000]Flax Seed opened the jar of dirt, grabbed the Mayor's free hoof, and stuck it into the jar. [/colour] "You feel that, Mayor? You feel that sensation you get?" [colour=#000000] Flax nodded presumptuously. "Uh huh, yeah. That's, like, what we're all about."[/colour]

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

[colour=#000000]Applejack was in the corner of the room minding herself to an issue of Apples Weekly. But with the paculiar behavior coming from Flax, Applejack lowered her magazine and raised an eyebrow. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]That pony is more mindless than I realized.[/colour]

Applejack.pngMadden.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Wheat blanched. Their pleas were going to be for nothing if she didn't try to steer the direction of the meeting to something more favourable.

Wrapping a foreleg around Flax, she gently pulled him and his jar of dirt away from the mayor, giving her a nervous smile. "What Flax means to say is," Wheat began, "is that we're very particular about the soil we use. Now, I'm sure Applejack can recommend us a nice patch of soil to begin with."

She turned to Applejack. "That won't be a problem, would it?" she asked. "We'll be sure to repay you for the help."

The Mayor dealt with a huge percentage of her populace, a startling amount who had neurosi and all manner of eccentric behaviors that she had grown accustomed to. And in that grand pantheon, it wasn't as if Flax was the most outrageous of them all. He had nothing over the mind-shattering energy and wordsmithing of Pinkie Pie, but he was still quite the character. That made her happy- characters gave the town flavour, and helped Ponyville develop a unique identity that was more than roots and colouring. It also gave her the raging birth of a future headache- characters tended to create more problems by the nature of their being than the next ten ponies combined. He was going to concern himself with dirt to the point that he was trotting about with a jar of it? She wasn't some soil expert or somepony who had an affinity for it, but the dirt seemed quite fine to her. At least Wheat seemed to have slightly firmer grasp on the issue, and turning to Applejack for aid was never a bad bet.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, uhh, I'm glad you feel strongly about every aspect of your business. Wonderful to see such drive!"[/colour] She fished out some more papers, shaking the dirt off onto her previously clean floors.

[colour=#cc00cc]"We have storefronts, selected areas in the marketplace as well, but if Applejack points you to an area with the soil you need, then we also have commercial paperwork for a immobile stand. As long as it doesn't interfere with the town's traffic, private property, or reserves, it should be fine. Those can range a bit more, but they're universally more expensive than marketplace positions. Regardless, I'm sure you can find the proper set-up fr your shop! This'll be so much better than working through those mail order catalogues that take forever,"[/colour] She finished with a chuckle, standing up and gently trotting over to the pair- keeping an eye on Flax, should any more philosophical babble escape from his lips.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Anything else I may help you with?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack was a little shocked at the request of Wheat Grass, but then even a little less assured at the Mayor's seconding of the help and information she might be able to give. However, Applejack just knew her own land well, and not much others. And she knew her soil was important, but these ponies out shined her philosophy. She didn't really know what to say. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Uuuhhhhhh... I, uh, don't know if I can be of help. Ah mean, I just deal with the dirt on our property, the same property mah family has had for years."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Flax approached. "Oh, but you're a pony of integrity right? Integrity like we have for our way of life. Don't be modest, you know all about the enzymes that are natural to the earth, right? How you need to leave the nitrogen cycling to its own schedule and stuff. Right?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack smiled a fake, but then dropped it. She then raised an eyebrow. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Honestly? No."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Flax gasped. And then looked at the Mayor with that look on his face of disgust.[/colour]

Oh. Well then...

Wheat gave an apologetic smile to Applejack, hoping she wasn't too put off by Flax. "Ah, sorry to bother you then. We'll just have to find somepony else to help us out in the beginning. Or I'll just consult the spirits and see which patch of earth is receptive to us."

She turned to the mayor. "Thank you so much for the help, Miss Mayor," she said. "This has been a most enlightening meeting! Even with all the things the spirits can tell us, there's nothing quite like asking fellow living creatures when you need help."

She frowned, pursing her lips together as she rubbed her chin with her hoof. Was there something else to ask? she wondered. I suppose not. Maybe we should be going now.

The mayor hadn't really expected Applejack to deny the offer, but it was actually one of the reasons why she remained such a fascinating mare. She seemed to be so simple when you first met her, but the fact that her convictions and missions were so absolute made it difficult to judge what she would do. It was rarer than you'd think that she would bend to the ways of the wind like a blade of grass, and she hadn't done it then. Poor for the two new ponies, but they still had plenty of options that the Mayor was more than happy to give them.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Yes! Before you go Wheat, at least take this list of possible storefront locations and prices for them,"[/colour] she trotted about, getting a small folder of papers ready for the new townsponies,[colour=#cc00cc] "and don't be shy about visiting me. My hours are very generous and the door is always open. When you make a decision, come and visit me and we ca get you all squared away in just little bit. It was a pleasure meeting you...and you too," [/colour]she chuckled nervously as she shot a forced smile at Flax Seed, an odd pony if she had ever met one and she had met plenty, [colour=#cc00cc]"and welcome to Ponyville," [/colour]she finished with joy, leading them out. When they were done, she trotted over to her chair and fell into it.

[colour=#cc00cc]"I still haven't slept! Spent all day running around trying to get the shelter situation solved, now spending all day in the office is breaking my mind," [/colour]She yawned, sitting up and letting out a few generous laughs, [colour=#cc00cc]"I'm an old mare, Applejack. I need my beauty sleep."[/colour]

She leaned back, taking a deep breath.

[colour=#cc00cc]"So, you've told me what you can do for me. It's time for you to tell me what I can do for you."[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#000000]Flax Seed stared at the Mayor while she offered a piece of paper with information on it. Flax would relay the paper to Wheat, and he started walking backwards out of the office. In a very strange tone that was hard to read, he gestured, [/colour][colour=#000000]"Like, thanks for all the help, Mayor. And Applejack."[/colour][colour=#000000] Flax paused and held a super serious face. [/colour]"You need to become one with your soil."[colour=#000000] And with that, he walked out of the office and shut the door.[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack stared at the closed door, and then raised an eyebrow and the Mayor. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Well. That was a thing."[/colour][colour=#000000] She was glad to finally have the floor in front of the Mayor, alone and with time to share her thoughts. Applejack got up out of her seat, put her entertaining magazine down, and slammed her hooves enthusiastically on the mayor's desk. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Picture this, Mayor: Yer a citizen in this small village reachin' the end of of the winter season, and you go to grab your last box of apple flakes to eat in the morning, and oh no, the box is empty!! You're out of food, and now you have to buy more. But you can't buy more food because the town orchard-farm-place has exhausted its supply because of increase in demand and population. Right? Wrong!! That is not the case. The town orchard folk have plenty of ap- um I mean fruit and vegetables to sell late in the winter. You know why? Because the previous year, the leader of this village, a gallant hero I might add, was smart enough to grant more land rights to the folks who farmed the town's food. What would you think fo that?"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack smiled confidently and sat in her own chair and relaxed her opinion. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"And what if me and mah family could be that folk for Ponyville? And you can be its hero. All we need is a little more land."[/colour]

The Mayor nodded along with Applejack, appreciating that she was putting some effort into her newest sales pitch for more land. She enjoyed this one more, Applejack leveraging the Mayor's love for her town, as well as a nascent desire to be a famous heroine like a long-lost desire as a filly finally fulfilled in those most wonderous of fantasies. But for all of the pomp and circumstances that surrounded a very reasonable appeal, a very reasonable request, there were some facts that grounded the discussion in reality and forced her to consider that once more Applejack's hopes and dreams would have to be sidelined, or would require almost too much work for it to be possible. Still, she couldn't help but smile at Applejack's better than usual performance.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Ooh, I liked that one! Definitely one of your better appeals. Certainly better than your last attempt! If I'm the heroine, do I at least get a statue in this fable?" [/colour]The Mayor asked, leaning back in her chair with her back hooves on the desk, a few deep belly laughs roaring out of her. Then she sighed and sat up in her chair, leaning forward on the desk.

[colour=#cc00cc]"I'd love to give you more land, Applejack. Your family is the most important family in our town's history- responsible for it's existence, even. And you're one of the best farmers in the land and I'm sure you of all ponies could work wonders with just a little bit more land. But put simply...the town grew around Sweet Apple Acres, including the farmland owned by others. There just isn't any land around Sweet Apple Acres for me to grant. There are only two options, and I don't think you'll like either. The first is..."[/colour] She repositioned her glasses and sighed,[colour=#cc00cc] "with the Everfree not being as dangerous lately and with permission from Royalty, I could grant you a minor expansion into the Everfree itself. You and yours would have to clear it and make it workable, plus there would be a hefty sum I'd need up front to help pay for any potential damage to the town due to critter flight,"[/colour] She licked her lips, anticipating the second offer as she opened a drawer and brought out a map.

[colour=#cc00cc]"The second is this piece of land on the other side of town. It can be yours for seven-hundred bits, but you'd also have to trek across the town just to set it up and run it. It's currently unoccupied and unclaimed, but you know how fast this town is growing. If you choose that, Ponyville can give you a subsidy to get the new farm off the ground, but it would have to be repaid,"[/colour] And with that, Mayor Mare sat back, eyes heavy with sleep deprivation.

[colour=#cc00cc]"That's all I can offer unless you can get somepony to offer up their land. Beyond that though, how do you plan on your family making it for the next several weeks? I hope the delivery went well."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

[colour=#000000]Applejack, having pitched her idea, sat back and cross her hind hooves across the other. She pulled a wheat stalk out and slid it between her teeth, holding it with class as she closed her eyes and nodded in agreement at every positive thing the mayor was saying about how great the Apple family was, how important their business is to the town, and how it owes her kin the gratitude of generations. But, as the 'but' came across, Applejack opened one eye listening to the mayor as she heard her say that there was nothing she could do about land grants around the farm directly towards the city. Immediately, Applejack spit her wheat stalk out and slammed her hooves back onto the negotiating table. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"What? Are you serious? There's gotta be something!"[/colour]

[colour=#000000]She listened to the first offer. A very good idea, however costly at that, to dwell deep into the Everfree and eliminate some of the trees. Applejack tapped her chin and contemplated. And the second offer, much cheaper, was also not in the immediate interest of Applejack, however she would keep it on the table for now. [/colour][colour=#ff0000] "Ok, that first offer is what ah think we should do. But if I may suggest. Why don't we just rid the entire forest? You know, turn that whole gal darn thing into more orchard space. The family could sell more apples than you ever thought possible. And I would need help of course, the family would be more than willing to hire ponies. Think of that Mayor. More apples, more jobs, more bits. Who knows! Maybe Celestia herself would set up a new palace in Ponyville and relocate the entire governing body of Equestria to a more centralize location. And you Mayor, maybe you'll be her first hoof because of this feat!"[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack sat back and relaxed with confidence. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Pfft! I mean come on. We all know the Everfree is a dangerous place for everypony in town. Honestly, I'm surprised we haven't taken care of that issue in the first place."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack also responded to the midnight venture. She chuckled and pulled down her eyelids. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"You see these bags, Mayor? Heh heh, neither do I."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack lived for taking care of business. It didn't matter what it took, and she ignored the signs that told her to stop. And sometimes, she took it too far.[/colour]

Applejack's momentary loss of control was always a bit worrying, if not at all unexpected. The Mayor hadn't expected her to take the denial all that well, even if they both knew it was always a looming possibility and facts were facts. The town was growing, swiftly becoming one of Equestria's fastest growing cities. Everything was booming and in bloom, and the simple rustic charm and lifestyle that had helped make it the friendly, loving place that everypony had become accustomed to was being preserved despite the encroachment of Canterlot's gaze. It would also be a farm town at heart, but decades after the Mayor passed on she knew for a fact that Ponyville would be one of Equestria's wealthiest and most well to do cities. It was inevitable. A town practically at the doorstep of Canterlot, and utterly unsullied by urban degradation and gentrification. It would become a suburb, a transport hub, a port, a thousand things as it grew but in the hearts and minds of it's residents, it would always be a farm town before anything. An Apple town before anything. But even that couldn't change the fact that they had no room unless they choose the Everfree...

...which, to her credit, Applejack took very well. Entirely too well, actually. The Mayor had expected that to be more likely to be Applejack's choice, but she was going a few steps further than the Mayor could authorize or even begin to ask for. But if nothing else, it was the start, a good place to start some real negotiations.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, happy to hear that you're enthusiastic about at least one of the options, Applejack," [/colour]The Mayor begin, a weary smile on her lips as facehoofed and rubbed her snout, chuckling awkwardly before the hoof fell back down,[colour=#cc00cc] "though we can't go as far as perhaps you'd like. The Everfree Forest is as big as the Heartland and Strand combined plus more, so it'd require decades of effort from tens of thousands of ponies to clear it. Then consider that even in what brief journeys we take into it we encounter a wild variety of beasts and monsters. Nopony knows what lies in the deeper, wilder regions where ponies dare to tread,"[/colour] She laughed, [colour=#cc00cc]"though if the Apple family was willing to undertake such a deed, I'm sure Royalty would grant their moral support. You have to also consider that even if that all worked out, that is a huge chunk of land for pegasi to work on, and frankly I don't trust their weather patterns as is. Do you want to deal with overworked, angry pegasi who can cause storms?" [/colour]She ended with her hooves on the table, leaned back and with a blank smile,[colour=#cc00cc] "though I do like the idea of being Celestia's first hoof. Always thought I'd look good in purple. But in all honesty, I know I can wiggle you some space. It'd be hard work, but if you're willing to pay upfront and do the work, I can provide certain resources and the right for you to do that. Just tell me you want it so,"[/colour] She ended with a sip from her coffee, chuckling as Applejack played with her eyelids.

Applejack was a hard worker. Everypony knew that if you wanted a job done, a job done right, a job done with integrity and honor, you called on Applejack. But the Mayor knew that despite of her great ability she was just as vulnerable as the next, the rising tide of her work capable of eroding even the strongest of mares. One day Applejack would feel the reprucussions of her youth, as would her brother, and long after that so would her younger sister. It was the Apple way, or at least how it seemed to be to an outside: A lifetime of decency and hard work richly rewarded, but the body in it's twilight years held together by indominatable will alone. It was a fear of the Mayor's that Ponyville might lose the entirety of Applejack's efforts far before her time and she would spend much of her life on the sidelines rather than doing what she did best, but she couldn't say that. Wouldn't say that. A family whose pride was as thick as their muscles would take that more as a challenge than a warning, and as a Mayor she had to look at the big picture. Applejack was in her prime now and she was willing. It would be a greater sin for the town for her to hold back, even if the more personally shameful sin might be the result. So the Mayor looked at the eyelids and shot an impressive whistle in return.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, I wouldn't suppose so, but I think they have more in common with purple than black if you had any kindling of interest," [/colour]She fished a half-finished form out of her desk and slid it towards Applejack. It was a simple request to the Princesses, in this case Twilight due to ease of transport, for rations from the Heartland Food Bank. It would take two weeks between red tape and delivery, but it was the best she could do.

[colour=#cc00cc]"I already have all the major parts written down. All I need you to do is input the amount you'll be needing, and then I'll send it right after this meeting."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Applejack chuckled seriously. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Are you kiddin'? I could take down all them trees with my own four hooves."[/colour][colour=#000000] Applejack smiled confidentially and then felled the smile to a perplexed realization of how obtuse she was being. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Well. Ok, maybe not, but still! It can't be that much work, can it?"[/colour][colour=#000000] As the Mayor explained all of the ramifications and hard work that tearing down the entire Everfree would cost, it became apparent that this feat would be a growth that a small town like Ponyville just simply wasn't ready for. And detailing the difficulty of traversing through the forest was a whole new argument. Sure, the Equestrian official mappers were able to find the tree line around the entire entity, but still, no pony knew just how deep the Everfree was. Applejack spoke out loud as she agreed, admitting her rashness. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"You know, they say that the farthest you can go into a forest is halfway. But ah don't think that's true for the Everfree. OK, maybe a set number inside then. How about twenty hooves in, we tear out the treeline. That's far enough to get at least a couple new rows of apple trees going, but close enough to where you can still feel the sunlight on your pelt while you're inside digging it out. There should be no risk involved in that, just a bit of hard work."[/colour]

[colour=#000000]As the Mayor silently gestured an approval of Applejack's toughness concerning last night's meeting, Applejack started wondering what it was the Mayor was showing her, but when she spoke, she understood it as legitimate help. [/colour][colour=#ff0000]"Um, what's that? Help? No, we don't need that. Us Apples are fine on our own."[/colour]

250px-Ms._Harshwhinny_id_S3E12.png

Trotting over to the Mayor's office was a regal looking Earth Pony dressed in a purple top with pink scarf and matching earrings. It was Ms. Harshwhinney, Official Equestria Games Inspector who had just arrived in town. Walking into the waiting room, the orange pelted mare took a seat to patiently wait her turn to speak to the Mayor. As she waited, Ms. Harshwhinney looked over the available reading material and picked up an older copy of the Foal Free Press that had a front page photo of two unicorn foals who had been stuck together by chewing gum. This photo and column caused the regal mare to chuckle a little as she read on.

Applejack's momentary bravado elicited a chuckle from the Mayor, who couldn't help but imagine Applejack trying to tear her way through the Everfree. Eventually she'd be too tired to continue or, more likely, forced out by the nasties that inhabitated it. But that spirit was beautiful, and even more so when she pulled back on some portion of it in the face of unstoppable reality. It was good to see her come back down to hard numbers and figures and the possibilities that the Mayor could actually chew on. Twenty hooves in wasn't much- the Mayor had considered offering more, almost double that. Applejack would need room not only for extra rows of tree, but new border fences and paths. The whole twenty hooves would work well enough, but the Mayor also knew to expect this exact conversation next season. Oh well- she was tired, and the extra space would have cost a fair bit more anyway. Twenty hooves would be fine.

[colour=#cc33cc]"Twenty hooves is a good place to start, Applejack. I am sure that with that space you and your family can do wonderful, wonderful things for the town. I need to write up the request to the Royalty for the expansion, but I do believe that they will say yes. As for the town- at twenty hooves, I'd say a deposit of two hundred hooves-"[/colour] the Mayor stopped, rubbing her head,[colour=#cc33cc] "I mean bits. I've been up all night, operating on instinct now. Two hundred bits for possible damage due to critter flight, and whatever isn't used will be given back to you at the end, which will be determined by when the extra space is considered a part of your functioning orchard. As you clear it, inform the town if you need anything else for the work. We can provide equipment or a small budget for payroll should you hire help, though it wouldn't cover all of it. Once the Royals get back to me, you can commence your work. Twenty hooves of the Everfree along the entirety of it's border with Sweet Apple Acres will belong to you and your family,"[/colour] The Mayor ended with a smile, happy to see progress completed. If there was one family that deserved the fruits of Ponyville's labor it was the family who had given all of their's to Ponyville.

But that wouldn't help them now. And Applejack wasn't going to let the mayor help them now. As she heard a chuckle in the other room from her next meeting, she knew what Applejack was suggesting was no laughing matter.

[colour=#cc33cc]"Applejack, we've beaten around the issue for a while, but you have to recognize this. Your generous donation to the shelter is beloved, and I know that your family is the most hard-working, dependable, and capable family in town. But you have little food- no food- for a while. Even if you ration it, it will be very difficult for it to last. You've done so much for the town, now let us repay that debt."[/colour]

Success! Applejack was able to get twenty hooves worth of extra space into the Everfree. It would be a while before apples would harvest there, but at least she could officially get started on the preparations for yielding that much more harvest in years to come. Applejack leaned into her packet and pulled out a bag of bits, and placed it on the Mayor's desk. "300. That'll be the deposit." Applejack always knew advance pay for something implies a debt. And the more down payment you make the more leverage the ponies you're dealing with will give you more opportunity to work with. And speaking of debt, apparently Applejack was owed something. Though she didn't think so. She shook her head. "Ponyville doesn't owe me or the farm two stalks of burnt wheat. Ahm happy to help, you know that." Suddenly, Applejack's stomach growled as the emptiness made itself aware of the lack of breakfast this morning. Applejack smirked it off, and chuckled. "But, uh, what did you have in mind?"

As Ms. Harshwhinney continued to read in the waiting room, she couldn't help but hear a familair voice through the door. It's not that the orange regal Earth Pony was TRYING to eavesdrop on the conversation going on in the Mayor's office, but when one of the parties on the other side of the door kept raising her voice, the blonde mare in the purple blazer could hear it. Putting her paper down, Ms. Harshwhinney slowly crept up to the closed door and then neighed in delight.

"That's AppleJack!" she thought to herself. "Sister of that dreamy Big MacIntosh! Haven't seen him since the last Zap Apple Harvest. I hope he's still single! Now I can achieve two goals today: check up on that dreamboat of a stallion AND enquire of the Mayor about the status of Ponyville's bid to host the NEXT Equestria Games! Wait, get ahold of yourself, Ms. Harshwhinney! I cannot allow my personal feelings to interfere with my Official mission from the Royal Court. but then again, a mare cannot live by duty alone..."

As the blonde mare returned to her seat, she tried not to look anxious or excited on the outside, but INSIDE she was bubbling with joy at the prospect of meeting the stallion of her dreams once more.

The Mayor watched Applejack place a bag of bits on the table, initially pleased to accept the full payment. Then, however, Applejack announced it was three-hundred bits and the Mayor eyed the bag a bit wearily. The payment was two hundred bits, not three. Not a bit more than two, even if it was just in good faith. The town couldn't take more, both from a legal and moral standpoint. The Mayor dumped the bits out and started counting in pairs, humming wordlessly to herself. She had an affinity for counting bits, the sort of thing that was normally boring administrative work made fun through the simple act of song. Bit by bit until she had reached two hundred, then she placed the other one hundred in the bag and hoofed it back.

"Thank you for the two hundred, Applejack," The Mayor began, sighing as her heavy eyelids fought a battle to stay open, "it'll be quite enough. You do enough for the town already without overpaying us. As for what we can do for you my dear, I suggest that you just give me some information so i can fill out the form for aid from the Heartland Food Storage with Royal permission. More of a formality than anything, considering who you are. I've already detailed everything I know, but I just need a few more things," the Mayor pushed the form over to Applejack as well as a new quill.

"How much food do you need for the two weeks this covers and what sort of food, keeping in mind that it isn't a bakery. And I don't mean to rush you, but I do believe the Games Inspector is due any moment!"

Applejack watched in a little disappointment at the counting back of bits. Apparently Applejack went far enough. Or maybe the Mayor was just too damn tired to play political leverage games with the orange country apple proprietor. Regardless, Applejack watched as the Mayor set forth to removing the extra bits, hoofing them back to Applejack with no room for take-backs.

"Well, I guess we could be fine with some fruit. Doesn't have to be apples. We could also use a couple kegs of milk, and whatever cooking supplies that Granny can use to make breakfast with, maybe some eggs and flour. But we'll take whatever can be spared. It's not like us to need this help, we usually do fine getting along without for a short time. This phase will be over in no time, and everyone will be eating a lot before you know it!" Applejack winked, as she started walking out the office door. "And get sum shut-eye, Mayor! You're looking sleepier than a fruit bat in the sun."

Applejack walked out of the office, and started making her way to the exit of the buidling, noticing Ms. Harshwhinney in her perephrial vision.

When Ms. Harshwhinney sees AJ walking out of the Mayor's office, the orange mare rushed over to her.

"Hello Applejack!" the eager blonde mare neighed. "How have you been? How's the apple business going? Has much changed since I was there for Zap Apple Season? How's your family? How's your brother? Still... single?"

Ms. Harshwhinney suddenly realized she was nervously rambling, so she instantly stopped and tried to regain the 'serious look' she usually wore on her face at all time, but her body language gave away her inner excitement at seeing AppleJack. She briefly forgot the purpose of her visit as she eagerly awaited the farm pony's reply.

"Oh, uh, heya Miss Harshwhinney!" Applejack thought it was strange to see a pony with a naturally stern expression act so excited about seeing a regular earth pony from Ponyville. "Yeah family's great," Applejack hesitated, "and yeah, Mac's still single. Why do ya ask? And what in tarnation are you doin' here today anyway?" Applejack stood still for a moment and then gasped a realization. "You're not here to inspect the games for Ponyville, are you!?"

The Mayor was attentive to Applejack's requests for food, which were as expected a bit bland and rather fair. The Mayor knew she could get more and she would as the Apple family deserved it and much more than she could offer, so this would have to do. She listed out everything Applejack said, making more specialized notes regarding fruit to avoid apples- that would be an insult if anything- and perhaps having more peaches than anything else because everypony who was anypony loved peaches. She finished writing it all and signed off on it, folded the paper and placed it in a pouch. It would be heading directly to Twilight Sparkle during her lunch. She stood up and nodded towards Applejack.

"Thank you, Applejack. You've been a great help. Have a great day!" She watched the mare leave and even before the door was closed she was ambushed by the Mayor's next meeting, with Ms. Harshwhinny of the Equestrian Games Committee. Luckily she seemed enamored with the Apples to some degree, which could only bode well for the Mayor even if she doubted the future of the town rested in Big Mac's lap. She had prepared facts and figures and a full presentation, even if it was possibly in vain. Ponyville was a small town easily eclipsed by Canterlot, without the cultural, historical, or economic power of a half-dozen cities above them. The town was growing as well as one could dare to dream but it was still a sapling in the forest and she knew it. Still, she would put the town's best hoof forward and hope for the best. She prepared her folder, two cups of coffee, put the folder on the desk and then trotted to the door.

"Ahh, Mrs. Harshwhinny. Good to see that you made it in one piece! I'm very excited to show you what Ponyville offers."

Both AppleJack's question and the Mayor's greeting 'broke the spell' of infatuation Ms. Harshwhinney had on Applejack's husky, handsome brother.

"Actually, Miss AppleJack," the orange Earth mare in the purple blazer said, switching back to her more serious tone of voice. "That's precisely why I'm here. Good to see you again, Miss Mayor. As you know, I'm on a fact finding tour of Equestria scouting out all possible new venues thay could host the Equestria Games. This is a very informal visit, so please feel at ease to make your presentation to me."

As she turned to walk into the Mayor's office, Ms, Harshwhinney quickly turned her head to say one more thing to AppleJack.

"Perhaps my fact finding tour may lead me to Sweet Apple Acres, I hope your charming brother will be around."

Meanwhile, outside on the street of Ponyville a familiar looking mechanized wagon approached the Mayor's office building. On the deck of the elaborate contrapion were it's creators and drivers, that pair of lanky unicorn brothers, Flim and Flam.

flimflam_logo_by_snapai-d4nvwlw.png

"So if we are to sell legit, then we're gonna need a permit, right Flam?"

"Indeed we are, Flim! And the Mayor's office is the place to obtain one."

"But can these ponies forgive and forget, all of those past events that we now regret?"

"Only one way to find out," Flam answered as the two brought the SSCS6k to a stop beside the Mayor's office building. The two similarly attired unicorn stallions then hopped off the machine and stood waiting to enter.

Applejack was excited that the Equestria Games could possibly come to Ponyville. She wondered how long she would keep it a secret to Rainbow Dash. She would love to give her the good news. But then she was a little confused at the comments about her brother. Big Mac was known by most everypony in Ponyville, but she didn't think of him as an icon. Apparently Miss Harshwhinney thought he had something to offer. Oh well. Applejack shrugged it off and walked outside to continue the rest of her day, probably napping.

Outside, she strapped herself to her cart, fastened all her items, and made way back towards the farm. At the corner of her eye, she thought she saw Flim and Flam walk into the town center. Applejack turned whoever walked in was no longer seen from outside. The audacity of these two ponies showing themselves in Ponyville would be a shock. "Could that be...?" Applejack shook her head and smiled. "Nah! I'm more tired than I thought! I'm seein' things." Applejack walked her tired self back to the farm where she would enjoy the rest of the day off and plenty of time to sleep.

Archived