The Return of Sombra (Interest Check)

Hello, guys :) I've been thinking lately about one of the most mysterious and least known MLP villain to date; King Sombra. Truthfully, the two-part Crystal Empire episodes in Season 3 didn't reveal that much about him, much less how exactly the Crystal Empire was during his rule (or before it). Sombra didn't even have a single real line, simply growls and shouts in his beastly voice. :lol: So, a marvelous idea popped into my head: why not develop on him more, as well as the Crystal Empire?

In my opinion, King Sombra had the possible potential to be a long-time villain in the MLP series (but, as we know, long-time villains don't exist in the MLP universe :P ) and I think it would be fascinating to bring him back from the dead...for one last go against Equestria and the Crystal Empire. I've done my research on him, and I can accurately assume and predict the sort of actions he would make if he had the chance to strike back at the Mane 6...this could easily turn messy. As we know, almost all of MLP's villains have required some magical force/artifact to be defeated; the Elements for Discord and Nightmare Moon, Love for Chrysalis, and the Crystal Heart for Sombra. How would the citizens of Equestria fare without these special weapons...do you think they would survive Sombra's onslaught?

Thus it comes down to you guys. I think an amazing RP can be made from Sombra and the possible troubles he can cause...but I want to hear your opinions on this :) if they are mostly positive, I'll make it into an RP. Any ideas you would like to add in the meantime will be welcome and appreciated.

- Val

I really like this idea, I think it could definitely be a really interesting topic! I too agree that Sombra could have been a really interesting character if they had expanded more on him!!

So I can't wait to see where this idea goes.

Excellent! I'm glad there are a few people who share my interest :) now, I am thinking of having Sombra's return years in the future from where the show has left off. Whether we'll have Mane 6 characters or not, I haven't decided yet. I view Sombra's revival as something extremely powerful...maybe even cataclysmic. He raises a semi-cult like organization, rallied under him and bent on conquering Equestria...and obtaining revenge. I can see Sombra developing the ability to drain away magic...to make somepony's nightmare a reality...stuff like that. Imagine this scenario:

Sombra is revived by a group of cultists with the aid of a powerful magical object. Upon being restored, Sombra slowly but surely bolsters his forces...eventually laying siege to the Crystal Empire. Along with his new life, he has received a few new tricks...one of which making the Crystal Empire's magical barrier useless. He invades, conquers the city, and captures Shining Armor and Cadence. As punishment for 'treason', he drains them completely of their magical powers and tosses them into a state of eternal nightmares. The threat of the reborn Sombra is known, and Equestria rushes to defend itself.

That...is about all I have so far :lol:

What if the 'extra power' Sombra gets is the Alicorn Amulet? I theorized that Sombra would return in the finale with it, but unfortunately it was wrong. Either way, that's my suggestion!

• 4 weeks later...

Good day, Sombra-enthusiasts. I'm Cyrus Morrowind, and I bring good news! The former owner of this thread, Valencetiger, has given me permission to take the reins and reinstate this RP. I'm new to the site, but I've been helping Miss Val with her RPs for a long time. Due to her crowded schedule, she's simply hadn't had the time for this website. This is where I come in. I hope that the lot of you are still active and ready to begin posting apps...because the RP will be running very soon.

Warm Regards, Lord Morrowind.

Good day, Sombra-enthusiasts. I'm Cyrus Morrowind, and I bring good news! The former owner of this thread, Valencetiger, has given me permission to take the reins and reinstate this RP. I'm new to the site, but I've been helping Miss Val with her RPs for a long time. Due to her crowded schedule, she's simply hadn't had the time for this website. This is where I come in. I hope that the lot of you are still active and ready to begin posting apps...because the RP will be running very soon.

Warm Regards, Lord Morrowind.

So what happened to her? (Val never really explains why she abruptly drops off the face of the earth) Does this include the Invasion/Revolution RP as well?

Im interested in this topic as well. As not-so-young as I may feel, King Sombra scared me worse than Fluttershy is scared of big dragons!

I love this idea and will gladly participate. It seems the plotline is set. The problem, that is... but where would the solution be found? Are we going to dwell in terror? Will we save Princess Cadencia and loyal knight and husband, Shining Armor? What will happen to the crystal ponies? They seemed to be under a 'grey spell' until the crystal heart was retrieved... If sombra returns again, will the crystal ponies vanish? So much turmoil... it gives me chills! This is what a villian SHOULD be like... ><

Ah, all excellent questions...I'll try my best to answer them all. As for the 'disappearances' of Miss Val, I can promise she regrets doing so. However, as we all know, family comes first before internet life, and family has been bogging her down it seems. Well, why shouldn't it, considering that she'll be the head of the family once our grandfather steps down from his chair. Anyway, she'll most likely not be coming back at this point, but has left her works to me.

Ah, yes...the Revolution RPs. I'm quite proud of those, actually. I suggested the beginning story to Miss Val after reading the popular Lunar vs Solar fan-fics, and I was truly surprised how quickly it had grown. Yes, I will attempt to rework and revitalize the once-popular RP.

Finally, this RP's solution...well, it's been a policy of mine to be open with how an RP ends with my fellow players, so they feel like their actions in the RP actually mean something, or had altered how the story would end. For example; let's say we have some OC's who happen to be evil, right? I can't simply have the 'good' side win all the time :P that'd be unfair to the evil players. However, both sides have an equal chance of winning. Unless, of course, all OCs are on the side of good; only then will the eventuality of success against Sombra exist.

Plus, a few alterations to the beginning plot, brought by the wonderful suggestions of previous posters. First is the 'Alicorn Amulet' idea. I think it is a terrific way to begin Sombra's wicked rampage across Equestria, and so I agree to his possession of the artifact. Secondly, how the Crystal Empire will take his return; having learned from his previous mistakes in simply weakening the ponies of the Crystal Empire, he has decided to actually make them stronger, to appeal to their inner desire for more power through conquest. This way, the Crystal ponies will have a lot more involvement in the story. Finally, the Princess Cadence and her husband Shining Armor will be imprisoned by the revived King Sombra and used as a sort of magical tap for him; draining their magic for himself whenever he wants to.

Anymore questions? Please ask them soon, before I make preps for the RP to begin.

Alright, fillies and gentlecolts. With the upcoming start to the King Sombra RP, I've decided to open a few predetermined slots for any who so desire to choose to play these already-existing characters. The current characters in need of picking are:

Chrysalis, the Changeling Queen - None

Cadence, Princess of the Crystal Empire - None

Shining Armor, Sword-Prince of the Crystal Empire - None

Twilight Sparkle, Archmage of Canterlot - None

Celestia, Princess of The Day - None

Luna, Princess of The Night - None

Many of the other main characters are also available for choosing, but these are the main slots that must be filled, preferably sooner rather than later. No need to worry about King Sombra...he'll be handled by your's truly.

As for your own personal OC's, the following application information is listed below:

Name:

Race:

Allegiance: (Are you for Sombra, or against?)

Appearance:

Personality:

History/Background:

Random Fact: (Just for my enjoyment.)

I cannot wait to see what brilliant characters you will come up with. Hail Sombra!

Name: Ember Flare

Race: Pegasus

Allegiance: [colour=#282828]Against[/colour]

[colour=#282828](Are you for Sombra, or against?)[/colour]

Appearance: Slightly small for her age, she had flaming red mane and tail, with an orangish coat. Her eyes are a Emeraldish colour.

[colour=#282828]Personality: Determined, persistent and stubborn at times, she is always trying to out-smart both her competition and her own allies. Brash at times, but lacks confidence when uncertain. Prefers to let her actions speak for her, instead of getting bogged down in 'politics' [/colour]

[colour=#282828]History/Background: Raised in a low-class Pegasus Family in Canterlot, she was born with her non-identifiable twin Brother. His competitive nature brushed on Ember, and they consistently went head-to-head. Despite how much they had in common, there was one major difference. While she was trying to find a suitable way to escape the life that she had been with, her Brother tried to bring them up through more unconventional means. Soon after, their parents vanished. Ember's brother didn't stop associating himself with criminals, smugglers and the such, and was dragged into that world. Eventually, he vanished also, leaving Ember alone. [/colour]

[colour=#282828]Determinded to try find her family, she went for the Royal Guard, hoping that if she got into a strong enough position, she'd find her family and stop the crime that made them vanish in the first place. She felt frowned upon by the male guards, since they were the majority, but continued and passed her training. When she had finished, she had the option between the Royal Guard, or the Luna Guard. She choose the Luna Guard, the hope for her family driving her. She has just been accepted into the guard system, and is currently awaiting either deployment or squad assignment. [/colour]

Random Fact: She enjoys fly-overs of the beach, and always her mane is always partially covering her left eye. She also has a slight obsession with sandwiches.

[colour=#282828](Just for my enjoyment.)[/colour]

Well I would be willing to do Princess Cadence if that is cool. (I've never rp'ed an alicorn so it might be an interesting idea)

Also I will be doing a background character (He is from the show but has no lines)

Name:Promontory

Race: Earth Pony

Allegiance: Neutral for the moment

Appearance:

tumblr_lpjv8r94H71qjr62mo1_500.png

Personality:

Promontory is a tough and gruff hot blooded pony. He usually has a hard time with being sensitive and kind but can show it when no pony is looking. Though if somepony were to call him out for being kind, he would probably try to start a fight with them.

History/Background:

Promontory grew up on the open roads of Equestria. His parents were migrant workers who would go from the north to south every year looking for work by the season. He never had much of an education other than the basics so that he could help with the work but is surprisingly good with engineering and is currently the lead engineer pony for the rail road of Equestria. However since he was always on the go, Promontory never able to find what made him special so he is still a blank flank even at an adult age. Being a blank flank has made Promontory realize that some ponies can be cruel and quick to judge making it difficult to get jobs because "he isn't an adult" yet in other ponies eyes.*

*If you want me to change this than let me know. Promontory doesn't have a cutie mark in the official show so I decided to leave him as a blank flank in this too.

Random Fact: His favorite food is red habañeros