Writers

I wrote this fic: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rnH ... LoF&hl=en#

First pony fic, not first fic ever. Generally it was not well received, so it's okay if ya'll don't like it.

There is also a part 2, which seemed to make it even less liked.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/162S ... =CIyM5PIN#

>Oh, I wonder what this fic is.

>Dashed

>Recognize it from EQ Daily as a Grimdark fanfic

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Nothing against you, but if it's under Grimdark, I don't read it.

As for me, I write Every Pony loves Dash.

It's pretty awesome I think.

Yes, it was posted on EQ Daily.

Well, it's grimdark, but part 2 makes things better.

As for me, I write Every Pony loves Dash.

It's pretty awesome I think.

Yeah, it pretty much is.

I wrote Creatures of the Night, What Rarity Needs, Ships That Pass in the Night, and The Three Notes. They were met with varying levels of want. I'm not particularly fond of Creatures, but I can't deny that I did it, even if I shouldn't have.

I wrote Creatures of the Night, What Rarity Needs, Ships That Pass in the Night, and The Three Notes. They were met with varying levels of want. I'm not particularly fond of Creatures, but I can't deny that I did it, even if I shouldn't have.

Someone is always not going to like your work. They thing is to always keep writing. Do it for yourself, not anyone else. If you're happy with it, that's what's important. Write for YOU.

Someone is always not going to like your work. They thing is to always keep writing. Do it for yourself, not anyone else. If you're happy with it, that's what's important. Write for YOU.

Agreed, and some people liked Creatures, but I personally don't think I wrote it very well. I wrote it after not having put pen to paper for fiction writing for over two years, near enough, and I didn't remember quite how much description is too much, and how to work it into dialog well. I love the ship, and I think it's the right scene, but I didn't do it justice in how I wrote it. Someday, I'll go back and do it right, but until then, I'll learn from what I did wrong in it.

I'm just going to go ahead and make my first post here.

I hadn't drawn fanart, or written fanfiction (except maybe one epic Batman tale that I'll never finish....) in years, and then these confounded ponies come trotting along. I have a file of silly paragraphs I wrote to get started again, but the only major thing I've completed is Memorial (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Bop8tQwUHpjJr5LGN3NEbPcSmLL7HZhfgzqMyxHMzXY/edit?hl=en#).

I'd love to read anything anyone throws my way for opinions/editing. I'm a bit of a grammar stickler, and I can be brutally honest if that's what somepony wants!

I'm just glad to be part of such a creative, talented group of fans.

I dunno that all the fanfic would have to congregate into one thread. Each artist has their own thread, I intend to make a thread for my fics as well! :D

But as to the artists already here:

@MyLittlePonyFics: What was your purpose in writing 'Dashed'? I mean... part of the reason I disliked it was that it just felt... well, no offense intended, but a lot of people are very used to stories which have run out of ideas try to drum up readership or attention by killing off a main character, or someone who's not a very good writer trying to 'make a good story' by killing someone off. And even worse, especially with comics, no one who gets killed ever stays dead - which makes #2 a bit ... even more eh. And with her losing her wings, again, it just seems... unnecessarily cruel.

Not to mention, we just hear about all the important stuff. We don't experience any of it.

Which is why I ask - what was your intent, with the story? What were you trying to show us? What theme, moral, or emotion were you trying to evoke?

@SKX - What amuses me about "Everypony loves Dash" is that it seems pretty much like a big fandom joke. :lol: You're taking all the emerging pony tropes and jokes, and slapping them all together into one crazy humor fic.

@MyLittlePonyFics: What was your purpose in writing 'Dashed'? I mean... part of the reason I disliked it was that it just felt... well, no offense intended, but a lot of people are very used to stories which have run out of ideas try to drum up readership or attention by killing off a main character, or someone who's not a very good writer trying to 'make a good story' by killing someone off. And even worse, especially with comics, no one who gets killed ever stays dead - which makes #2 a bit ... even more eh. And with her losing her wings, again, it just seems... unnecessarily cruel.

I think I was actually inspired a bit by another fic I read, in which RD loses her wings, but Twilight makes them grow back in the end. I just put my own spin on that, I guess, but I didn't copy anything except that Dash loses her wings. At the end, I guess the main thing is that even though we get hurt emotionally in life by people we know, if we're really their friend, we can try to understand their pain. And if you really cared about someone all those years ago, if you really loved them, your friendship should be able to last, even through time and hurt.

@SKX - What amuses me about "Everypony loves Dash" is that it seems pretty much like a big fandom joke. :) You're taking all the emerging pony tropes and jokes, and slapping them all together into one crazy humor fic.

Which is good, cause that's what I'm aiming for.

At least I think it is anyway.

I usually just open up a word document and write the first thing that comes to my head, I don't really try and do anything.

I think I was actually inspired a bit by another fic I read, in which RD loses her wings, but Twilight makes them grow back in the end. I just put my own spin on that, I guess, but I didn't copy anything except that Dash loses her wings. At the end, I guess the main thing is that even though we get hurt emotionally in life by people we know, if we're really their friend, we can try to understand their pain. And if you really cared about someone all those years ago, if you really loved them, your friendship should be able to last, even through time and hurt.

Ahhhh..... so part of it was in response to another story which did it even worse.

The second part of it was that it wasn't Dash you were focusing on, but the people around Dash.

Which didn't go quite so well, because... the people just accepted it and moved on. The focus of the story is to overcome that pain, but no one actually cared, especially because they were too busy feeling sorry for Dash instead of being hurt by her absence. Twilight *immediately* forgave her, which leaves no real feel of growth in that direction.

I think you should try again. Your writing wasn't bad, just the subject matter. Try that *theme* again, but don't make the pain or hurt or fear or all of that quite as serious ... come up with something less *drastic* to fit that idea. Like ... if someone lied to Twilight, out of embarrassment over doing something wrong, and Twilight has to deal with trying to figure out how to trust someone she knows has lied to her. Make sure she struggles with it before she accepts what happened.