Boxy's Boutique: Grand Opening [OPEN]

2s620pg.jpg

[colour=#282828]This was it. The day Heart-Shaped Box had dreamed of her entire life! She had finally raised the funds up to own her very own, one of a kind, personally owned, GORGEOUS Southern-Style boutique! And it was beautiful, positively beautiful! She'd dressed it up like her home in Dodge Junction, warm earthy colours decorating the walls and floors. Fake tumble-weeds were pinned to the counters and her big book of patterns was atop the table by the cash-register. She would be taking requests of all kinds, but Boxy's main asset was fancy attire. Dresses, wedding dresses, suits and tuxedos...[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Heart-Shaped Box simply couldn't stop smiling! She almost wanted to cry, she was so excited to finally open the store! Deciding to turn on a tune, Boxy danced and sang along a little to keep up the energy swirling in her head.[/colour]

[colour=#cc0066]"Don't ya know its gonna be...alright..."[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Boxy sang, her southern accent ringing loud and clear. As the clock hit 8 AM, the early riser turned the sign on the door to "OPEN". Boxy's Boutique was officially in business! Now all she had to do was wait for the first customer.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]

[/colour]

[colour=#282828]There are outfits and accessories in the shop, or you could ask for something custom order! Fees vary based on what you purchase! [/colour]

[colour=#282828]

[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

iKfSVnA.pngDZTuGxV.png

The capital city of Equestria leans into a rocky mountainside, from which the city can see and be seen all over the land of Equestria. How many times had Whirligig sat on the edge of the city of Cloudsdale and gazed out at the view below and seen, looming in the distance, the towers and spires of Celestia's city? She had only visited the capital a few times, and each time she had been fascinated by the high classism and fashion present in the city - it was fun to visit, but she couldn't imagine why some of her friends from Cloudsdale had chosen to attend school in Canterlot.

All the same, the city still carried itself with an air of being a place where, potentially, dreams could be made and come true. As she and her brother arrived at the city early in the morning, she couldn't help but feel a buzz of excitement that came whenever she travelled throughout Equestria. Of course, as she often poked fun at the city for being big a snooty, she tried not to let on that she was excited to be here. Her brother, however, read her like a book.

[colour=#498995]"So Stormwing, remind me why I bothered to come to Canterlot with you?" [/colour]

Stormwing raised an eyebrow. They'd had this conversation before; she just wanted to tease him again no doubt. With an exasperated sigh he told her [colour=#00333E]"because my marefriend couldn't come." [/colour]

Whirligig smiled, jabbing her brother in the rib.

[colour=#498995]"And why not?" [/colour]

[colour=#00333E]"Because I don't have one." [/colour]

Whirligig's playfully taunting laugh rang out through the empty cobblestone streets. Little sisters – sometimes, no matter how kind you were to them, they could be so very cruel. Stormwing, who had never been a very good actor, tried to look hurt, but this only made his sister laugh harder.

[colour=#498995]"Oh Ducky, don't worry - I'm sure you'll find a mare at this ball you keep going on about. Speaking of which, we need proper ballroom attire now, don't we."[/colour]

Whirligig suddenly became solemn. The ball actually made her nervous - she was a factory worker and a bit of a nerd - the idea of a grand and fanciful social gathering caused butterflies to form in her stomach. Oh sure she'd be attending with her brother, her most favourite Stallion in all of Equestria, but she was still a little anxious about it. He'd told her to bring her most fanciful dancing dress, only for her to discover that the one worn to her senior prom was not only a bit outdated, but it didn't fit her very well and had a few irreparable stains and rips - apparently the evening had been a little bit wilder than she's remembered.

Whirligig was about to decline her brother's invitation on account of not having a suitable dress to wear, but Stormwing instead promised his little sister that he would buy a dress for her once they arrived at the city. He figured if he didn't have a marefriend to blow his bits on, Whirly-bird would make a suitable substitute. He didn't spend nearly as much time with his sister as he would like on account of her remaining in Cloudsdale while he took up residence in Trottingham. He had also always felt like he had to be the one to look out for her - it wasn't like there was another stallion in her life who would.

[colour=#00333E]"Proper ballroom attire certainly is a must. I'm sure we'll find a boutique around here with a style that's well within our price range, Whirly-bird. What sort of dress are you thinking of?"[/colour]

[colour=#498995]"Oh, nothing overly fanciful - you know me, nothing too frilly and froufrou. Do you suppose we'll be able to find a dress that will suit me by tomorrow night? Oh, I so hope we do - it would be terrible if we didn't. Imagine it, ducky - coming all this way and not even finding something appropriate to wear to the ball, even after all our traveling. It would be devastating is what it would be." [/colour]

Stormwing tried not to laugh. He actually had no idea how difficult it would be at all to find a boutique with dresses that his sister would like - shopping had never really been his thing, and he really had no idea how much effort in entailed. Mum usually took Whirligig shopping for dresses, not him. As they continued wandering down the early-morning streets of Canterlot, Whirligig continued chattering away about what sort of dress she might need while Stormwing admired the technique that had gone into the construction of such a glorious morning.

He'd been offered a job with Canterlot's weather crew when he finished school, but ultimately chose Trottingham so that he could keep a closer eye on his family. He had to admit, the Canterlot ponies had some technique, though Stormwing couldn't help but think the air was a bit too still - perhaps a light breeze would make the morning a bit more pleasant, and a few more soft fluffy clouds in the sky above certainly wouldn't hurt. He would have put one over there, above that library, and another over there behind the rows of shops. What was that in one of those store windows anyways?

[colour=#00333E]"Look, Whirly-bird, a grand-opening in that shop over there. Let's go check it out - it looks like an interesting little store.”[/colour]

Whirly, still chattering away, at first made no indication that she'd heard Stormwing's suggestion. Eventually, however, the cornflower blue pegasus began moving towards the shop and went right in, as usual her hooves never once touching the ground.

[colour=#498995]"Oh, Ducky, this shop is adorable! It's so very quaint and country - it looks just like a little frontier town. And such beautiful dresses! I love that hat, oh, and the silky shine on that one is beautiful! I wonder if I might be able to find my dress here! Oh, wouldn't that just be perfect? If the first shop we visit has the perfect dress?"[/colour]

The stallion felt more out place than ever in the little frilly shop, though he would admit the décor was rather charming. He pointed out one dress that he thought might look 'nice' - only to be shot down in an instant by his sister.

[colour=#498995]"Don't be ridiculous, Stormwing - that pink with this mane? No, I need a different colour - maybe a gentle green to bring out my eyes, or a soft yellow to accentuate the streaks in my hair. I mean, anypony who knows anything about fashion knows that the dress needs to suit the pony's personality and of course look good with their colouring. Just step aside you silly stallion and let me look through the dresses.”[/colour]

Stormwing wanted to make a comment about sexism, but the truth of the matter was that he knew nothing about fashion. In fact, he was surprised to discover that Whirly-bird knew as much as she did. He shrugged, supposing it was simply a mare's area of interest more than it was a stallion's. She continued sweeping around the shop in her usual fashion - never standing still for a moment, with her wings fluttering away. There were only a few years separating the siblings age-wise, but sometimes Stormwing felt so much older than Whirligig, this occasion being no exception.

He turned apologetically to the shopkeeper and immediately regretted not paying her any attention before. The raspberry mare was a beauty to behold - a true southern belle if he ever did see one, and suddenly the rustic décor of the boutique made absolute perfect sense. He suddenly had a though that maybe, just maybe he should take up this 'shopping' thing that mares seemed to value so much as a more permanent pastime.

[colour=#00333E]"Sorry about my sister,"[/colour] he said, careful to enunciate the word 'sister' as clearly as he could, just in case the eyes and mane-colour didn't give enough of an indication about the relationship. [colour=#00333E]"This is a nice little store you have here and she has the tendency to get a little bit over-excited. You’ve clearly put a lot of work into the place – I hope a little beauty such as yourself had some good strong hooves around to help you with setting it up." [/colour]

Whirligig shot him a look that plainly said [colour=#498995]"Don't make a fool of yourself,"[/colour] but thankfully kept her mouth shut on the issue, and instead began chattering away in her usual fashion about the topic of the hour: dresses.

[colour=#498995]"Stormwing is right - your boutique is absolutely lovely-dovely. It's so very quaint, such a breath of fresh air when compared to the rest of Canterlot, I think. Would you could you maybe help me find a nice dress to wear at a ball tomorrow night, miss? I would need something of course that suits my colouring, and something elegant and classy without being snooty and frilly. Maybe something like that one there, but not such a full skirt, and ruffles more like the ones on this one here? Or, actually, whatever you think might work would be wonderful, too - you're clearly a fashionista of excellent taste wheras I am but a humble factory worker from Cloudsdale. Also, money isn't a problem since my brother here is taking care of the bill."[/colour] She winked at Stormwing, who gave his sister another playful scowl the moment the earth pony had her back turned.

• 2 weeks later...

8551964415_94230e5678_o.jpg

Fuchsia had noticed that a new shop was opening up not too far from her own floral boutique. Trotting past the storefront this morning, she saw that it finally had an Open sign in the door. She poked her head in briefly, just long enough to admire the country decor and the lovely dresses and accessories on display. She also saw that there were already customers, which was a very good sign for a new business.

[colour=#800080]"Hmm, I could use a new dress for the summer garden parties this season,"[/colour] she thought to herself. [colour=#800080]"I'll stop back on my lunch break to see if they have anything that might suit me."[/colour]

(exiting for now, will return later!)

2s620pg.jpg

Heart-Shaped Box watched happily as her boutique already began to attract a bit of attention. She saw a pink-maned unicorn peek into the window, then move onward with her day. Optimistically, Boxy hoped that the unicorn would return later. Then, two pegasi waltzed into her store.

One was a pale blue mare with a bright red mane that caught Boxy's attention immediately. It was an incredible colour, and the bright yellow streaks intertwined within it were equally as stunning. Her eyes were a bright, ivy green. Boxy hoped that she could find or create an outfit that would go well with the mare's colouring. She was chatting away, and literally floating on air. Boxy grinned with pride as the mare called her boutique a number of adjectives. Quaint. Adorable. Country. Then she called her dresses beautiful. Shiny. Boxy could not have been more proud!

Next to the bright pegasus mare was a pegasus stallion, similar in looks. He was a darker blue with a crimson mane and emerald eyes. He seemed to be a bit out of place, and Boxy learned through listening that the his name was Stormwing. He pointed out a hot pink dress and Boxy shook her head in surprise. With the mare's colouring she simply couldn't wear that shade of pink. Boxy immediately thought of gentle green and soft yellow, and was pleasantly surprised to hear those suggestions come straight from the mouth of the mare.

The stallion turned to Boxy and met her eyes pleasantly. His were a simply gorgeous shade of green, and Boxy wished there was fabric that colour. He complimented her store generously, and Boxy smiled genuinely. He continued to talk in an extremely charming fashion, and Boxy couldn't believe it. Was he trying to make a move on her?

[colour=#cc0066]"Well howdy there! Thank ya kindly, ya don't look to bad yourself. Ah actually set this here boutique up all by myself! Ah could've used some strong hooves, though, Ah nearabout fell offa my ladder a few times."[/colour]

Boxy wasn't used to being flirted with, so she hoped that she was doing a good job. She hadn't known what to say, so she simply said what was on her mind. That's usually how she did things. She decided to pay Stormwing's sister a bit of attention.

[colour=#cc0066]"Well shucks, those are an awful lot of compliments! Thank ya kindly. As for ballgowns, Ah've got a section of 'em right here. Allow me to show ya. By the way, what's your name?"[/colour]

Boxy stepped out from behind the counter, past the flirtatious Stormwing, and over to a rack of carefully sewn gowns. Boxy had worked on them for hours on end, and truly hoped that they would give the mare an idea. Reaching the rack she selected a slim-fitting, floor-length dress that was completely sleek. The fabric was what she was interested in. It was a pale, spring shade of green.

[colour=#cc0066]"Ah think this would be a right lovely colour on ya. How does it suit your tastes?"[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

iKfSVnA.pngDZTuGxV.png

[colour=#cc0066]"Well howdy there! Thank ya kindly, ya don't look to bad yourself. Ah actually set this here boutique up all by myself! Ah could've used some strong hooves, though, Ah nearabout fell offa my ladder a few times."[/colour]

[colour=#00333E]"Well that's sure a shame,"[/colour] Stormwing smiled widely at the mare's kind words, [colour=#00333E]"I sure would have helped you if I'd been in town and known a damsel of you was in need of my aid. Ladders must be terrible things to try to manoeuvre on your own."[/colour]

It soon became clear to him that he was dealing with a proper businessmare, when despite his advances, she went straight for Whirligig and set about helping her find a dress. Still, nopony to help her? He could hardly imagine trying to set this place up on your own. And ladders? As a pegasus, Stormwing had never needed to use one. The stallion did not envy Earth Ponies, not one bit. Apparently they were stronger than unicorns and pegasi, though, and so far from Stormwing's experience, this had proven true. This spunky little country mare seemed to have everything worked out - even in his inexperienced opinion the little dress shop looked like it was bound to be a success, especially in the city of Canterlot where there was plenty of market for fanciful clothing.

[colour=#cc0066]"Well shucks, those are an awful lot of compliments! Thank ya kindly. As for ballgowns, Ah've got a section of 'em right here. Allow me to show ya. By the way, what's your name?"[/colour]

[colour=#498995]"Well you've got an awfully lovely shop bluebird, and it's oh so very deserving of lots and lots of compliments! Oh, and my name's Whirligig, how silly of me not to introduce myself! What's your name, Bluebird?" commented the young mare as she followed the earth pony over to where the assortment of ball gowns were hanging. To her great delight, the store owner showed her a lovely floor length gown that the delighted Whirligig decided was completely and absolutely perfect.

[colour=#498995]"Oh, Bluebird! That dress is absolutely gorgeous! I simply adore it. I must try it on at once!"[/colour]. Whirligig took the hanger from the store owner and flew into the change room in order to try own the delicate gown.

Stormwing, meanwhile, finally found the clothes for stallions. He would be attending the evening's ball as well, and was certainly in need of something to wear so as not to be completely outdone by his sister. He wasn't much less hopeless when it came to stallions fashions, though, and was completely lost as he examined the fancy suits and waistcoats. What would be enough? What would be overdoing it? Or, as Whirligig had mentioned, what would suit his personality? What would look good with his colouring?

Of course his attention was drawn away from his ponderings when Whirligig emerged from the changing room wearing a lovely gown! All of Stormwing's concerns about his own wardrobe (and his bit purse) vanished when he saw his sister. Her mane still hung loosely about her in her usual fashion, and she would probably be looking to get that done tomorrow along with finding some jewelry, but the gown made her look absolutely splendid! He would have to keep an extra-close eye on the other stallions come tomorrow evening.

[colour=#00333E]"Whirly-bird, you look beautiful!"[/colour] he exclaimed, smiling proudly at his little sister. This dressmaker really knew her stuff, of that Stormwing was now quite certain.

[colour=#498995]"Do you think so, Ducky? Actually, I think I rather like it myself. It's elegant and simple, and rather 'me' I'd say. It really is lovely-dovely!"[/colour] Whirligig said with a smile, twirling around the shop for a bit. [colour=#498995]"I can tell you definitely designed this with a Pegasus in mind,"[/colour] she said, turning her attention back to the fashionista,[colour=#498995]"it's super lovely to fly around in. I really like it, but you know how it is; never go with the first one without trying on others. Do you possibly maybe have anything else I could try on?"[/colour][/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

2s620pg.jpg

Boxy giggled bashfully at Stormwing's advances. He was absolutely charming, and boxy quite enjoyed being flirted with. Stallions never seemed to admire her, and it had never really bothered Boxy too much. After all, she was a businessmare. She was never too concerned with romance. That didn't mean she didn't like it, of course, and she really did want somepony by her side.

Boxy turned back to Whirligig, not really sure what she meant by "bluebird". Out of the corner of her eye she could see Stormwing looking at some stallion's clothes, and she made sure to keep an eye on him.

[colour=#cc0066]"As for your question, Miss Whirly-bird, my name is Heart-Shaped Box, but everyone calls me Boxy! So call me Boxy! That dress is absolutely gorgeous! But, if you'd like t' try on some others, Ah have quite a nice selection! Ah have a lovely white one right here that has quite a nice look t' it. Ah like how flowy it is, and feel how soft! Go on, feel! If you were lookin' for something light, this might interest ya. Or perhaps you'd like somethin' a bit more fru-fru. Ah have this very ruffly red one that might do the trick for ya!"[/colour]

[colour=#ffffff]Foghorn had been in Canterlot for a few days on a gig at some high society function and found himself; after an unfortunate run in with a guest, in need of a new tuxedo for the shindig he had been hired for in another two days. So he decided when he finally got some free time to hit the town and search for a custom tailor. He donned one of his more casual pinstriped suits, his fedora, and a pair of small sunglasses with rose tinted lenses that bathed the world around him in a warm pinkish tone. Then he was off into the busy streets of Canterlot.

There were so many shops around the city but none of them caught the towering Zebra's attention. That was until he spotted a nice lil boutique nestled away in a cozy looking western building. "Foggy ya ol' fool ye almos' missed dis place" He said to himself with a rumbling peal of bass laughter. He ducked just in case as he entered, removing his hat like he was taught by his ma when indoors. "Mighty purdy place." He said
​[/colour]