Opera (Yes, I'm being serious)

So in a diverse community like Canterlot, I was wondering if there's anyone here who appreciates the Opera.

Personally I have mixed feelings toward Opera. I much enjoy orchestral music, to a fault (I fell asleep during Carmen once ^^;).

But I much enjoy comedic operas. I did an internship in a production for The Barber of Seville, and just something about the arias in it causes shivers down my spine.

Here's a recording of the great Maria Callas singing Rosina's aria. The section after the 4 minute mark gets me every time. T.T

Oh, and here's a great recording of the overture of that opera.

It's quite fascinating how many of its themes are recognizable outside the context of the opera. It has been used extensively in television and advertisement.

That should do for starters. Feel free to talk about any opera experiences you had. And if you have any opinions on the Barber of Seville, I am interested in those right now especially, since the production I was involved in premiers on Sunday. ^.^

I'm afraid that the closest thing to an opera that I've personally been to were broadway musicals.

Though, I wouldn't actually mind sitting down for two hours listening to opera singers. They're quite talented and under appreciated.

Edit: Scratch that, Looney Tunes baby. There have been episodes such as the famous recreation of the 'Barber of Seville'.

Edited by Kodokuna

I've watched some opera like Rigoletto, Carmen, The Marriage of Figaro, and La Boheme. It's tricky to follow along when things are in another language but thankfully most operas have the translations running on an above screen.

I'm afraid that the closest thing to an opera that I've personally been to were broadway musicals.

Though, I wouldn't actually mind sitting down for two hours listening to opera singers. They're quite talented and under appreciated.

Musicals?

What new perversion is that? D:

I'm kidding, I love musicals. So much so, I have favourites!! :D

I've watched some opera like Rigoletto, Carmen, The Marriage of Figaro, and La Boheme. It's tricky to follow along when things are in another language but thankfully most operas have the translations running on an above screen.

Not too fond of Carmen. Maybe it's just that I have never seen a good version of it, but all the versions I saw so far were seriously lacking in the way they were set up, just very uninspired and bland. That said, the music is amazing and gripping. Just thinking about it gets the songs stuck in my head again.

I was taken to the grand opera in town a couple times a few years back. I enjoyed the experience; the music and singing were engaging and evocative, though I haven't seemed to have retained the stories very well. I can't exactly recall what it was I saw. I don't believe either was particularly well known; one was an old Italian opera, the other was a newer English-language piece; I recall liking the former more.

I was taken to the grand opera in town a couple times a few years back. I enjoyed the experience; the music and singing were engaging and evocative, though I haven't seemed to have retained the stories very well. I can't exactly recall what it was I saw. I don't believe either was particularly well known; one was an old Italian opera, the other was a newer English-language piece; I recall liking the former more.

I can relate. I dread German Operas, even though they have a long and rich tradition, it just ruins it for me that it's a language I understand.

Well, save for the The Threepenny Opera, but that's actually more of a musical then an opera, so it kinda doesn't count.

Oh you speak to my heart. :D

I adore opera, and know a few who sing it. I used to sing it myself in high school before my asthma got too bad for me to continue.

My personal favorite opera singer is Andrea Bocelli, who interestingly enough is blind. He is amazing!

Premier night tonight. Or rather soon, since I'm in Europe. I'm very excited. ^.^

Since it has been mentioned several times now, it might be interesting to know that The Marriage of Figaro shares a number of characters with The Barber of Seville. In fact, Figaro is the Barber of Seville.

I have never seen La Boheme. Curious, I always thought Carmen was that one opera everyone has seen at least once.