All time favourite movies?

Just curious to see what everypony's favourite films were, I know it's difficult to narrow it down to just one, so feel free to post as long a list as you please.

I'll start:

Jaws would probably be up there somewhere, because it's just a classic, and actually had the opposite effect than intended when I first watched it at a young age.

Jurassic Park would be another one.

A clockwork orange, possibly my favourite of Kubrick's stuff, and I do love Kubrick's stuff.

Pulp Fiction and Resevoir Dogs, which are probably the best of Tarentino's work, (even though he seems to get better every time he tries)

Now, don't judge, but I have to put Con Air up here, because I love all things Nicolas Cage and I don't need to explain any more than that.

Starship Troopers was enjoyable too, but the sequels were terrible.

Finally, Small Soldiers, It's such an awesome movie, and if you haven't seen it, i recommend you do.

Anyways, that was my list, It's quite sizable, and it'd probably be bigger if I thought about it more, but these just came to mind instantly, I look forward to hearing everypony else's opinions. :D

• Like 1

A clockwork orange' date=' possibly my favourite of Kubrick's stuff, and I do love Kubrick's stuff.

Starship Troopers was enjoyable too, but the sequels were terrible.[/quote']

Clockwork Orange was an amazing film. Agreed 100% about Starship Troopers.

Now to my picks: I'm going to start with easy stuff. Star Wars Trilogies, Star Trek(s) 2009, Into Darkness, Generations, & First Contact. & LotR films.

Titan A.E.(After Earth) was so original and creative! It had a lot going for it but was overlooked because it is animated. Along the same line is Treasure Planet, a wonderful reimagining with great visual style and a heartfelt story. Plus it is in SPACE!

Pan's Labyrinth. Sure you have to read subtitles but it is 200% worth it! The film is beautifully filmed, with amazing cg, and great actors. Probably my favorite foreign film. It has one of the saddest endings too.

To get away from the seriousness I love The Muppets, Labyrinth, & Office Space. Henson will always hold a special place for me.

[colour=#282828]Pan's Labyrinth. Sure you have to read subtitles but it is 200% worth it! The film is beautifully filmed, with amazing cg, and great actors. Probably my favorite foreign film. It has one of the saddest endings too.[/colour]

I loved Pan's Labyrinth, the storytelling was great, Del Toro always does a brilliant Job, have you seen his other films? I can't wait for Pacific Rim :D

[colour=#282828] I love The Muppets, Labyrinth, & Office Space.[/colour]

This is all i needed to take away from Labyrinth

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xAAGh-3sw0

My all-time favourite film would have to be Danny Boyle's Sunshine, a sadly overlooked film in my opinion, which harks back to the days of classic science-fiction.

The Host is my favourite foreign film, and is responsible for the single most powerful line I've ever heard in cinema history.

All the classics are there of course, especially sci-fi classics such as Alien and Aliens, 2001, Terminator (more specifically the second one) among others.

And then there's the guilty pleasures, everyone loves a good 70s/80s action romp, even moreso if the one-liners are cheesier than blue-veined cheese.

• Like 1

[colour=#282828]The Host is my favourite foreign film, and is responsible for the single most powerful line I've ever heard in cinema history.[/colour]

I forgot about The Host, It wasn't the first foreign film I saw, but it's certainly one of the best, It manages to be satirical whilst getting actual emotions across.

Plus that monster design is really cool.

Top Ten movies:

Harakiri (1962 dir. Masaki Kobayashi)

The Godfather (1972 dir. Francis Ford Coppola)

The Departed (2005 dir. Martin Scorsese)

Momento (2000 dir. Christopher Nolan)

There Will Be Blood (2007 dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)

Metropolis (1927 dir. Fritz Lang)

Das Boot (1981 dir Wolfgang Petersen)

M (1931 dir. Fritz Lang)

The Great Dictator (1940 dir. Charles Chaplin)

Taxi Driver (1976 dir. Martin Scorsese)

The Departed (2005 dir. Martin Scorsese)

Momento (2000 dir. Christopher Nolan)

There Will Be Blood (2007 dir. Paul Thomas Anderson)

The Great Dictator (1940 dir. Charles Chaplin)

12 Angry Men

Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring/Return of the King/Two Towers

Downfall (German)

Limelight

Back to the Future (original, 1985)

Inception

Can't remember that much, but what I remember most are trilogy movies such as "Lord of the Rings", Harry Potter, Star Wars, and of course I wish I could watch them, it's the Matrix.

Off the top of my head:

Princess Mononoke - Best Ghibli film ever.

An American Tail - This is a showcase of animated history. Superb.

Once Upon a Forest - A heartwarming tale with really fun characters. I have a poster of this signed by the creator.

Rock-A-Doodle - One of my favourite Bluth films. I have a poster of this signed by him as well.

Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Hobbitses.

Ratatouille - I think Pixar really did a charming job with this one. It's fun to watch and the story is great.

Braveheart - Mmm. I like this movie for reasons.

The Lion King - Yeah, that was good too! I saw the Broadway Musical and it's one of the best things I've ever seen.

The Great Mouse Detective - Another Disney classic.

Cats Don't Dance - If you want to see some of Lauren Faust's early career work, this is it!

All Dogs Go to Heaven - Sooo good.

(Sensing a trend here with animated films?)

I'm sure there are more titles, but these are the first that come to mind.

• 4 weeks later...

[colour=#585858]Mine are Gran Torino and Men In Black (you've probably already seen the second and probably for the same reason I watched it.) Another really good movie is The Green Mile (another older movie like from the ninties)[/colour]

[colour=#585858]Mine are Gran Torino and Men In Black (you've probably already seen the second and probably for the same reason I watched it.) Another really good movie is The Green Mile (another older movie like from the ninties)[/colour]

I've seen both Men in Black and The Green Mile, both are awesome films. Gran Torino, I've heard a lot about, Clint Eastwood, right? I was a bit skeptical of it when it came out, though, so I ended up not watching it. Would you recommend it?

[colour=#282828]Princess Mononoke - Best Ghibli film ever.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]An American Tail - This is a showcase of animated history. Superb.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Once Upon a Forest - A heartwarming tale with really fun characters. I have a poster of this signed by the creator.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Rock-A-Doodle - One of my favourite Bluth films. I have a poster of this signed by him as well.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Lord of the Rings Trilogy - Hobbitses.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Ratatouille - I think Pixar really did a charming job with this one. It's fun to watch and the story is great.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Braveheart - Mmm. I like this movie for reasons.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]The Lion King - Yeah, that was good too! I saw the Broadway Musical and it's one of the best things I've ever seen.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]The Great Mouse Detective - Another Disney classic.[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Cats Don't Dance - If you want to see some of Lauren Faust's early career work, this is it![/colour]

[colour=#282828]All Dogs Go to Heaven - Sooo good.[/colour]

All Dogs go to Heaven is one of my all time favorite childhood films, I'd like to say the Lion King was, but unfortunately I didn't see it until I was 17 :blush: It certainly lived up to the hype though, and it gave me the terrible affliction of singing Be Prepared at inappropriate times. Braveheart convinced me that Mel Gibson was, at least in spirit, scottish. And I don't think the Lord of the Rings trilogy needs an explanation. Hobbitses be cool.

I didn't really get into Ratatouille though :( It's not on my list of favourite pixar films.

Princess Mononoke is pretty much perfect, to me. It is everything I love, and both the adaptive script and dub were done really well.

Bladerunner is one I have to be in a very specific mood to watch, and I only watch it once every few years or so, but every time the credits roll I feel I've taken a little bit of the film's atmosphere with me for a while. On a similar(ish) note, The Fifth Element, which is pretty much Bladerunner's complete opposite tone-wise (super green fun). It's interesting to watch them relatively close together and look at differing outlooks on our future.

Blazing Saddles is a wonderful piece of satire. Quoting this movie consists of a good 10% of how my family communicates.

Imagine Me & You is one of the few female/female romance films I've seen that did not make me constantly, painfully aware of how niche and underfunded its kind of movie usually is. It was sweet and believable, as well as managing to be a good movie with gay characters and not killing anyone off. (Do you know how rare that is, seriously.)

The Sky Is Falling is a ridiculously hard-to-find, quirky little indie flick about a struggling writer's life as she contemplates more and more elaborate ways to end it all, yet somehow manages a hopeful tone throughout the movie. When I'm feeling down, I watch it, cry my eyes out, and end up feeling a jillion times better.

The Lion King gets major nostalgia points, and even though Timon and Pumbaa aren't as entertaining to watch now as an adult, it's still a really enjoyable flick. I also think How to Train Your Dragon is my favorite 3D animated movie. Wall-E comes close, but, c'mon. Dragons. (They are super touching and I love them both, though.)

I also probably rewatch Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World far more than any adult person reasonably should.

Princess Mononoke is pretty much perfect, to me. It is everything I love, and both the adaptive script and dub were done really well.

Bladerunner is one I have to be in a very specific mood to watch, and I only watch it once every few years or so, but every time the credits roll I feel I've taken a little bit of the film's atmosphere with me for a while. On a similar(ish) note, The Fifth Element, which is pretty much Bladerunner's complete opposite tone-wise (super green fun). It's interesting to watch them relatively close together and look at differing outlooks on our future.

Blazing Saddles is a wonderful piece of satire. Quoting this movie consists of a good 10% of how my family communicates.

Imagine Me & You is one of the few female/female romance films I've seen that did not make me constantly, painfully aware of how niche and underfunded its kind of movie usually is. It was sweet and believable, as well as managing to be a good movie with gay characters and not killing anyone off. (Do you know how rare that is, seriously.)

The Sky Is Falling is a ridiculously hard-to-find, quirky little indie flick about a struggling writer's life as she contemplates more and more elaborate ways to end it all, yet somehow manages a hopeful tone throughout the movie. When I'm feeling down, I watch it, cry my eyes out, and end up feeling a jillion times better.

The Lion King gets major nostalgia points, and even though Timon and Pumbaa aren't as entertaining to watch now as an adult, it's still a really enjoyable flick. I also think How to Train Your Dragon is my favorite 3D animated movie. Wall-E comes close, but, c'mon. Dragons. (They are super touching and I love them both, though.)

I also probably rewatch Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World far more than any adult person reasonably should.

Speaking of How To Train Your Dragon, I'm looking forward to the sequel itself, the 30 minute series are awesome when Dreamworks did a good job, let's hope the sequel is just as good. :)

Airplane

Airplane

The Incredibles

Real Genius

Speed

Airplane

Backdraft

Dragonheart

The Sixth Sense

Back to the Future Trilogy

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Airplane

I've got in the neighborhood of 300 DVDs and BluRays and a few old VHS tapes that still work, but those are a few that stand out.

Oh, and did I mention Airplane?

[colour=#282828]Airplane[/colour]

[colour=#282828]The Incredibles[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Real Genius[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Speed[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Backdraft[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Dragonheart[/colour]

[colour=#282828]The Sixth Sense[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Back to the Future Trilogy[/colour]

[colour=#282828]Lord of the Rings Trilogy[/colour]

Oh lawd, Lesley Nielson <3 , everything he touches turns to gold. I loved Airplane, and Dragonheart is just the right amount of campy to stay lodged in my heart forever. I think Back To the Future and Lord of the Rings speak for themselves, though I personally prefer BTTF to LOTR. Also, The Sixth Sense was a brilliant movie, but it also saddens me a bit to think back to it, it was one of the last movies before M. Night boarded the one way ferry to Looney land and never looked back.

The City of Life and Death, 2009 - My favorite movie of all time, truly the pinnacle of cinema in my own opinion. Taking an unbiased, and outstanding view onto the whole 'action/war' genre.

One flew over the Cuckoos Nest, 1975 - Jack Nicholson at his finest :D

Papillon, 1973 - The story of Devils Island told perfectly.

The Shawshank Redemption, 1994 - Do I even need to say anything for this one?

The Imposter, 2012 - Absolutely shocking real life documentary/drama film.

Oh man, how the heck did I forget Airplane? One of the funniest movies I've seen.

STORY TIME. My parents watched this movie all the time while I was growing up. And apparently, as a wee young thing, I walked up to one of my granddad's employees - a short, white, middle-aged woman - and said, "I know you! You're Kareem Abdul Jabbar! You play basketball for the Los Angeles Lakers!"

She apparently found it pretty entertaining, thankfully. Small children make no sense.